• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grimgar 6

This is going absolutely nowhere. Same boring locale, too much time spent on an irrelevant conflict, little progression in general.

The mystery aspect is the only appeal to me and since we're not going to find out the answers in a single cour adaptation of an ongoing light novel series, dropped.

Grimgar 6

This is going absolutely nowhere. Same boring locale, too much time spent on an irrelevant conflict, little progression in general.

The mystery aspect is the only appeal to me and since we're not going to find out the answers in a single cour adaptation of an ongoing light novel series, dropped.

Grimgar is on my "wait and see" list because it looked like it was going to trend in that direction. Luckily, I have Erased, Gate S2, BBK/BBNK, and Durarara to keep me flush. I think I'm probably going to try Dagashi Kashi or Kono suba next.

Qurupeke

Tatami Galaxy 1

So I never actually watched the whole thing I believe. I dropped it very early as it was airing because I didn't like the style.

Good thing I have taste now so I can enjoy it for what it is.

I'm sure you'll like it a lot this time.

Ascheroth

Grimgar 6

I've actually forgotten there is one.
Funnily enough I have no problem with the pacing and the fact we're not going to get a proper ending most likely. I'm entertained enough by seeing the cast being incompetent. And Mary shitting on Ranta.

Jintor

Galko 3 - 4

I know it's a shorter production and they save a lot on backgrounds by just having it be a bunch of weird colour patterns, but it's kind of nice that every single member of their class seems to have a unique design and is usually doing something in the background of most shots (even if they're doing it totally still).

Szadek

Monogatari SS - Ep 3
Nice, Shinobu is back.
The old school buiding burned down
, I wonder what...
Oh... this could be a problem.

Your Lie in April - Ep 2
If I wasn't sold on the show before, now I certainly am.
The most impress part of the epiosde were obviously the visuals and the music.
It also showed Kaori's reason to play her instruments how it differs from Kousei's.

Shirobako - Ep 2
Rather slow episode, but still very interesting, because it feels like getting a insight on a real anime production.

Plastic Memories - Ep 3
This epiode was just horrible.
"We have 1 unfunny joke, let's repeat him 5-6 times in a row!"
Maybe the shows gets better again after this epiosde, I don't know nor care.
I will just pretend that this anime has only 1 episode and move on to the infinitely better shows like the ones I just mentioned.

Just T

Shirayuki-hime: 18

Failed escape plan but the smoke screen was a nice idea. Also brave move from Kiki.

Osomatsu-san: 19

Didn't laugh much from this one but it was neat they carried over the joke from the last episode for a few seconds.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Osomatsu-san 19
lol, at least they kept their promise and start the skit with Shinnosuke-san.
Choromatsu rising is my fav. skit for this week.

Peco

Galko 3 - 4

I know it's a shorter production and they save a lot on backgrounds by just having it be a bunch of weird colour patterns, but it's kind of nice that every single member of their class seems to have a unique design and is usually doing something in the background of most shots (even if they're doing it totally still).

Well it's nice because in the manga they're not just background characters.
I seriously hope the anime will cover some side-characters chapters in the next episodes, especially the ones with Golem-chan.

Seen people post about both Dimension W and Grimgar but not should whether I should bother with either.

Grimgar is a must watch top 5 of season anime. Good male character designs as well as offering a very great look at an upcoming squad of amateurs. Its different and exciting.

I wish I could unwatch Dimension W worst of the season easily.

Seen people post about both Dimension W and Grimgar but not should whether I should bother with either.

Dimension W has been dropping of lately in my opinion, I'd just wait until it has finished airing and then gauge the general consensus before deciding to invest your time in it.

Haven't seen Grimgar though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
People said last season that updating the OP was pointless, but people do come in to the thread lttp and it may be worth saying what is worth watching now we are over half way through.

Ascheroth

What the hell, I just found out there is an anime based on a Xianxia airing this season and of course there are no official subs and neither seem there to be competent fansubs.

smh

People said last season that updating the OP was pointless, but people do come in to the thread lttp and it may be worth saying what is worth watching now we are over half way through.

Hm... From those I'm still watching, what I'd still recommend are:

Konosuba
Prince of Stride
Erased
Rakugo
Dimension W
(Active Raid)

And ongoing:
Gintama
Heavy Object
Durarararara

Please update the op with praise for
DivineGate
Prince of Stride Alternative
Haruchika
Grimgar

Mr. nietzsche in the convence store

sonicmj1

Hai to Gensou no Grimgar 6

Mary's storyline has me interested enough to stick around. Not because of the on-the-nose backstory reason why she's so standoffish, but because I'm enjoying watching Haruhiro figuring out both how to connect with her and how to be a more effective party leader. Until now the show had lacked any kind of exploration of the internal tension of being in an adventuring party with different kinds of people (even though that tension very much existed), and I appreciate that the characters are finally needing to solve it. Even the events of the previous episode seem to have made the other female party members a little bit more talkative, a trend which hopefully continues.

The music in this show continues to bother me. The tracks themselves are fine, but so often they don't really match the mood of the scenes they're used in, or compete for attention with the dialogue unfolding onscreen. It's some of the worst use of a soundtrack I've ever seen, really. If, as hosannainexcelsis said earlier, the songs are all from some band that the production committee is pushing, it'd be really unfortunate.

Cornbread78

Grimgar is on my "wait and see" list because it looked like it was going to trend in that direction. Luckily, I have Erased, Gate S2, BBK/BBNK, and Durarara to keep me flush. I think I'm probably going to try Dagashi Kashi or Kono suba next.

Wtch Konosuba ASAP and be satisfied.

Taiga!

The KonoSuba OP has panties disguised among the feathers.

The second picture is my proof of it.

Fitting, lol. Panties are optional on Aqua and it's an early preview of the steal skill.

I'm all for a mid-season in office vote for top 10 & update the OP to highlight those shows.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
If I'm going to be straight with you people, Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is my anime of the season.
I have no idea how Toei (Meant Deen, now I'm feeling even more stupid) is the one making something so beautiful though, guess I shouldn't base my first assumptions on who's producing it.

sonicmj1

If I'm going to be straight with you people, Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is my anime of the season.
I have no idea how Toei is the one making something so beautiful though, guess I shouldn't base my first assumptions on who's producing it.

That show's being produced by Studio Deen. Which is still a little surprising, but I guess they've been turning things around there lately.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm all for a mid-season in office vote for top 10 & update the OP to highlight those shows.

Voting bad shows out would be fairer. A good show only seen by a handful of people should still be advertised in the OP. A top 10 would penalise it.

Cornbread78

Voting bad shows out would be fairer. A good show only seen by a handful of people should still be advertised in the OP. A top 10 would penalise it.

I have to laugh because that sounds like something that would be said about movies at the Academy Awards, lol.

phaze

I have no idea how Toei is the one making something so beautiful though, guess I shouldn't base my first assumptions on who's producing it.

That's from Deen though.

Nurse Witch Komugi-chan R 01

CG, Idols, magical girls doing cute things ... In short, everything wrong with anime condensed into one show. /s But really, not my kind of thing at all and the parodical self-awareness isn't enough to make me stay. They even changed the voice actors for Komugi and since this is some completely alternative world take on her character, the Soultaker ties are pretty much non-existent.

Konosuba 0,6-2
Picked it up again based on some favourable impressions here and while certainly funny in a few spots, everything else is a chore. Rule of 3.

Koyomimonogatari 05-06

zzzzzzz Kagenui when.

JulianImp

I have no idea how Toei (Meant Deen, now I'm feeling even more stupid) is the one making something so beautiful though, guess I shouldn't base my first assumptions on who's producing it.
Seriously. Out of seasonal shows I've watched I'm still interested in it the most, and after it come Erased, KonoSuba and Gundam IBO. Regarding shorts, I kind of like Galko the most, but Sekko Boys is also somewhat nice. Dimension W has certainly gotten worse than I expected (but still somewhat watchable), and Phantom World looks good but isn't all that interesting. Regarding shorts, Marshmallow Ojisan is a bit too one-note for me, but Mahou Shoujo Nante Mouiidesukara is downright boring.

Hai to Gensou no Grimgar 6

Mary's storyline has me interested enough to stick around. Not because of the on-the-nose backstory reason why she's so standoffish, but because I'm enjoying watching Haruhiro figuring out both how to connect with her and how to be a more effective party leader. Until now the show had lacked any kind of exploration of the internal tension of being in an adventuring party with different kinds of people (even though that tension very much existed), and I appreciate that the characters are finally needing to solve it. Even the events of the previous episode seem to have made the other female party members a little bit more talkative, a trend which hopefully continues.

The music in this show continues to bother me. The tracks themselves are fine, but so often they don't really match the mood of the scenes they're used in, or compete for attention with the dialogue unfolding onscreen. It's some of the worst use of a soundtrack I've ever seen, really. If, as hosannainexcelsis said earlier, the songs are all from some band that the production committee is pushing, it'd be really unfortunate.
I thought one of the goals of the anime is to quickly build up an album setlist for Knowname which is why we had multiple insert songs?

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Do you overscore anime or have a scewed view on the rating system?
Looked up my statistics on MAL and my mean score is 7.82, then I looked how it could be that high and then I understood.
I've rated about 40% off the anime I watch an 8, then I have a few more 6 and 7s than I have 10s and 9s.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu wasn't as engaging to me as Erased by their respective second episode but production and direction quality has been consistently high that by now I'm certain it'll make my AotY list.

Do you overscore anime or have a scewed view on the rating system?
Looked up my statistics on MAL and my mean score is 7.82, then I looked how it could be that high and then I understood.
I've rated about 40% off the anime I watch an 8, then I have a few more 6 and 7s than I have 10s and 9s.

My mean score is 6.59 and it would be ab it lower if I rated everything I've seen. I'd like to add good anime I've seen to my list but am less motivated about adding the bad stuff. And, to begin with, I finish few shows I consider bad and rating when I merely skimmed through the rest or seen only part of it isn't quite the right thing to do. Though, if one's asking for recommendations it's actually helpful to list dropped shows I suppose...

pbayne

Yep and it's not just the source material being strong it's also the best directed show of the season

Nurse Witch Komugi-chan R 01

CG, Idols, magical girls doing cute things ... In short, everything wrong with anime condensed into one show. /s But really, not my kind of thing at all and the parodical self-awareness isn't enough to make me stay. They even changed the voice actors for Komugi and since this is some completely alternative world take on her character, the Soultaker ties are pretty much non-existent.

booooooooooo dissing AOTS.

Buy yeah if you don't like magic girl shows you'll not get a lot from it.

I thought the CG was really great. One of the better efforts ive seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom