• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you overscore anime or have a scewed view on the rating system?
Looked up my statistics on MAL and my mean score is 7.82, then I looked how it could be that high and then I understood.
I've rated about 40% off the anime I watch an 8, then I have a few more 6 and 7s than I have 10s and 9s.

My mean is 6.8, but I don't watch everything every season. If I did it would be much lower :p

Just T

Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm: 6

This was actually a pretty good episode with the entertaining race. Misaki is about to have a tough time, to find out Shindou wasn’t taking the match with her serious at all then to see him being pushed to his limits by Asuka who is still a newbie is going to have her feeling bitter.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
ZT72WbS.jpg

my objective opinion.
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu wasn't as engaging to me as Erased by their respective second episode but production and direction quality has been consistently high that by now I'm certain it'll make my AotY list.
Rakugo show got better over time. Best OP this season and easily the most thoughtful and well designed thing airing right now. The sound work is really poor though, and it can really undermine where the show's at spatially.

Looked up my statistics on MAL and my mean score is 7.82, then I looked how it could be that high and then I understood.
I've rated about 40% off the anime I watch an 8, then I have a few more 6 and 7s than I have 10s and 9s.

Mine is 7.63, how is yours so high?!
export

If I would rate something 6 or below I'm likely to drop it or not watch it in the first place. I'm not going to live a long enough life to waste it on things I don't enjoy.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
If I would rate something 6 or below I'm likely to drop it or not watch it in the first place. I'm not going to live a long enough life to waste it on things I don't enjoy.
Might be because I instead of watching and rating shit shows, I drop the after 3 episodes and delete them from my list.
I don't delete them if I've watched more than 3 episodes and decide to drop it.

I also started watching anime this may so I only have a relatively small sample size and it's not my main hobby, that would be gaming(Well it was, mostly buy games without playing them nowadays)

Also here's my score distribution:

KKPX18j.png

So as you can see, really small sample size.
Just finished HxH, so some recommendations on anime that isn't from seasons after may 2015 would as always be nice!

dan2026

I caught up on Prince of Stride and watched the latest episode of Rakugo, but I don't have the time to write impressions. :(

Then I will assume they revolutionised the anime industry, moe is dead and we are heading towards a future of imaginative, exciting shows.

Might be because I instead of watching and rating shit shows, I drop the after 3 episodes and delete them from my list.
I don't delete them if I've watched more than 3 episodes and decide to drop it.

I leave dropped shows on my MAL profile (in the "Dropped" section), but I don't rate them.

Just finished HxH, so some recommendations on anime that isn't from seasons after may 2015 would as always be nice!

There's a lot of anime that fits that criteria! Do you have any particular kinds of anime you'd like to see to help narrow down the selection?

Then I will assume they revolutionised the anime industry, moe is dead and we are heading towards a future of imaginative, exciting shows.

Yep, cute girls are dead; it's all about cute boys now.

Orange manga gets TV anime announced.

Director: Hiroshi Hamasaki (Texhnolyze, Steins;Gate)
Script: Yuuko Kakihara (Chihayafuru, Jewelpet Sunshine)
Character Design: Nobuteru Yuki (Kids on the Slope, Space Battleship Yamato 2199)
Animation Production: TMS Entertainment and Telecom Animation Film

Finally, I wonder how it will compare to the recent movie that at least caused the manga to keep on selling well for many many weeks.

Yu-Gi-Oh! GX (Subtitled) Episode 39 – Great Detective Thunder Versus the Dark Scorpion Burglars
CbVmiuPWEAAMm6c.png

Great Detective Manjoume always does great things for this anime. Even when things may start to feel somewhat down or have the potential to drag he shows up to give us great comedy and great action. Ah and as usual some excellent scenes with Juudai.

The bandits were good too and I hope they have recurring roles, especially Chick. It was so obvious who did it anyway.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
There's a lot of anime that fits that criteria! Do you have any particular kinds of anime you'd like to see to help narrow down the selection?

Not really, I watch most things.
I like good shonen, like HxH and FMA:B and I do enjoy mystery shows proportionally a bit too much.
But I can't say I don't enjoy some SoL from time to time, but I often do one at a time otherwise it becomes a bit too much and I'm already watching Nichijou.
My 4 10/10s are Spirited away (My childhood favourite movie), HxH, Shinsekai Yori and monogatari SS if that tells anything about what I think is masterpieces.

Really it shouldn't be too hard to suggest anything to me, I have a pretty general taste of anime liking most of the stuff I watch from a multitude of genres, not including the dull generic seasonal LN shonen because those got boring painfully fast.

dan2026

Just finished Steins Gate and mostly enjoyed it quite a bit.
All the time travelling was confusing (as time travel usually is) but it was still fun.

However I feel certain characters could easily have been cut for the betterment of the series.
Faris and Ruka I am looking at you......

blurr

I like good shonen, like HxH and FMA:B and I do enjoy mystery shows proportionally a bit too much.
But I can't say I don't enjoy some SoL from time to time, but I often do one at a time otherwise it becomes a bit too much and I'm already watching Nichijou.
My 4 10/10s are Spirited away (My childhood favourite movie), HxH, Shinsekai Yori and monogatari SS if that tells anything about what I think is masterpieces.

Really it shouldn't be too hard to suggest anything to me, I have a pretty general taste of anime liking most of the stuff I watch from a multitude of genres, not including the dull generic seasonal LN shonen because those got boring painfully fast.

Dennou Coil
Baccano
Samurai Champloo
Fate/Zero
Madoka Magica
Steins;Gate
Daily Lives of High School Boys

you probably already saw some of these but whatever you haven't, you should

Just finished Steins Gate and mostly enjoyed it quite a bit.
All the time travelling was confusing (as time travel usually is) but it was still fun.

However I feel certain characters could easily have been cut for the betterment of the series.
Faris and Ruka I am looking at you......

Ruka and Faris arcs were
heartbreaking though, they really added to the intense final arc and moments

Aki-at

My means at 7.10

To be honest I thought it'd be a lot lower than that but I don't watch a lot of shows (Only clocked about 70) and I rated 15 shows with a 9 or 10 effecting the average. Guess that's what bumped it up.

phaze

Character Design: Nobuteru Yuki (Kids on the Slope, Space Battleship Yamato 2199)
1446241703962vyupp.gif

No clue about the source material but I think I saw it have quite decent sales already.

I'm not convinced that Hamasaki knows what the color "orange" even is.

lol
Looks orange to me !

If it's shounens you desire than outside of your usual Jojo rec, you might also see if Saint Seiya; Lost Canvas tickles your fancy.

Qurupeke

I agree with this. I've watched shows that I'd rate poorly but this mostly happens because I actually liked it at first and then I got disappointed. I don't understand how someone would have many shows with scores below 5, let alone shows rated with 1 or 2.

On the other hand, I haven't completed many animes and I still want to watch quite a lot, so I guess some people are practically done with older stuff and just watch animes out of boredom....

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Dennou Coil
Baccano
Samurai Champloo
Fate/Zero
Madoka Magica
Steins;Gate

I'm actually starting Steins;Gate episode 1 right now and Samurai Champloo has been on my PTW forever.

Adding the rest to my PTW now though, cheers!

dan2026

Ruka and Faris arcs were
heartbreaking though, they really added to the intense final arc and moments

I found them both too obnoxious to be honest.
They felt like weird fetish characters that somehow fell out of a portal from a different series.
Their side stories would be decent if they weren't both so damn annoying.

Well, that still leaves a lot of stuff open, but here's a few suggestions to check out:

Gankutsuou (really well done adaptation of The Count of Monte Cristo, given a sci-fi setting)
Genius Party (fascinating anthology of short films)
Lupin III: The Castle of Caligostro (Hayao Miyazaki's first feature film)
Master Keaton (the adventures of a globe-trotting jack of all trades)
Mononoke (period supernatural psychological mystery horror)

That's just a couple stuff from the top of my head, but if you're looking for more stuff you can check out my MAL list; anything rated 7 or above I would readily recommend.

Ascheroth

I'm going to recommend you Gundam Build Fighters again if you're looking for good shonen and haven't watched it yet. There's no prior Gundam knowledge required.
It also has a really hype soundtrack.

Oh right, I should probably note that it's second season Try isn't as good.

Hmm since you enjoy mystery and unsurprisingly listed SSY as a 10/10 I'm recommending you to check out Dennou Coil. It's pretty much excellent all around with a well developed setting and mysteries. Might seem like a show aimed at children at first, especially since the protagonists are younger teens, but that's not really the case.

blurr

I found them both too obnoxious to be honest.
They felt like weird fetish characters that somehow fell out of a portal from a different series.
Their side stories would be decent if they weren't both so damn annoying.

As characters they didn't stand strong I suppose, I didn't mind them at the time of my viewing.

I can understand Fayris but I didn't find Ruka anywhere near annoying.

Well, that still leaves a lot of stuff open, but here's a few suggestions to check out:

Gankutsuou (really well done adaptation of The Count of Monte Cristo, given a sci-fi setting)

That's just a couple stuff from the top of my head, but if you're looking for more stuff you can check out my MAL list; anything rated 7 or above I would readily recommend.

Hm, I've gotta watch these too, thanks. Only got around to watch Castle of Cagliostro.

I watched one episode of Mononoke a long time ago, should get back to it.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I'm going to recommend you Gundam Build Fighters again if you're looking for good shonen and haven't watched it yet. There's no prior Gundam knowledge required.
It also has a really hype soundtrack.

Oh right, I should probably note that it's second season Try isn't as good.

I added it when you told me last time :p

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll be checking out them.
Mononoke seems pretty interesting to say the very least.

Hmm since you enjoy mystery and unsurprisingly listed SSY as a 10/10 I'm recommending you to check out Dennou Coil. It's pretty much excellent all around with a well developed setting and mysteries. Might seem like a show aimed at children at first, especially since the protagonists are younger teens, but that's not really the case.

One more for Dennou Coil, seems like that will be the next from my PTW to get watched then.

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Spiriteded
Here's my whole MAL if you want to keep suggesting and have a hard time knowing what I've watched and not watched.

jonjonaug

Mine. I thought my mean would be a bit lower.

Dennou Coil
Baccano
Samurai Champloo
Fate/Zero
Madoka Magica
Steins;Gate

These are all good but I'd add Tatami Galaxy to the list of essentials.

I still need to watch it, but basically everyone everywhere has the same conclusion on it:

It's the biggest waste of potential in anime.

Potential? Who thought Guilty Crown had potential? Except perhaps as a Cross Ange-style trainwreck.

Actually Dennou Coil was quite deliberately aimed at children; Mitsuo Iso thought the general quality and intelligence level of children's TV was too low, and so he desired to create something better for them.

Ascheroth

I added it when you told me last time :p

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll be checking out them.

Haha, I just wasn't sure if you'd noticed it.

What's the feeling on Guilty Crown around here?

I don't think anybody (DTL aside) likes Guilty Crown. I don't mean just here, I mean like, everywhere.

I haven't heard one single thing positive about Guulty Crown anywhere.

You'd be better off watching Code Geass instead.

I liked Guilty Crown.
But yeah, Code Geass takes priority.

Sterok

Guilty Crown looked interesting on paper, but from the first episode you could tell it would never be a tenth of the greatness of Code Geass. Then it got dumber.

Promising staff. Is there any synopsis for this?

Actually Dennou Coil was quite deliberately aimed at children; Mitsuo Iso thought the general quality and intelligence level of children's TV was too low, and so he desired to create something better for them.

Interesting. I agree with that sentiment.

Alfredjodocuskwak_logo.jpg

Show's like this from my youth were appropriate for children and still handled serious topics well. Gotta say though, Dennou Coil gets a tad too technical with it's pretty vast terminology and mechanics concerning the AR world. I had to scratch my head a couple of times, especially since it just kept getting more dense along the way. I'd wonder if children could follow the plot along well.

Promising staff. Is there any synopsis for this?

Wikipedia:

One day, Takamiya Naho receives a letter written to herself from ten years in the future. As Naho reads on, the letter recites the exact events of the day, including the transfer of a new student into her class named Naruse Kakeru.

The Naho from ten years later repeatedly states that she has many regrets, and she wants to fix these by making sure the Naho from the past can make the right decisions—especially regarding Kakeru. What's more shocking is that she discovers that ten years later, Kakeru will no longer be with them. Future Naho asks her to watch over him closely.

The manga is complete in five volumes and available on Crunchyroll if people want to check it out.

Cornbread78

I don't think anybody (DTL aside) likes Guilty Crown. I don't mean just here, I mean like, everywhere.
I haven't heard one single thing positive about Guulty Crown anywhere.
You'd be better off watching Code Geass instead.

Its in my top 5 list of best anime ever so it is an animated classic. Definitely check it out.
Redjuice character designs, EGOIST and SAWANO music, and stunning production values, with a touch of Yuuki Kaji and epic sci-fi action. It has everything that an anime needs.

This is why I love you guys...

Someone mentioned it to me and it has a pretty good MAL ranking (I know, I know), but I have a ton of stuff in my backlog right now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom