• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1455627214343kzsxu.jpg

Szadek

Me too, me too:

Looks like my mean score is relatively low, then again I rate almost every show I watched regardless of status.

JulianImp

Not really, I watch most things.
I like good shonen, like HxH and FMA:B and I do enjoy mystery shows proportionally a bit too much.
But I can't say I don't enjoy some SoL from time to time, but I often do one at a time otherwise it becomes a bit too much and I'm already watching Nichijou.
My 4 10/10s are Spirited away (My childhood favourite movie), HxH, Shinsekai Yori and monogatari SS if that tells anything about what I think is masterpieces.

Really it shouldn't be too hard to suggest anything to me, I have a pretty general taste of anime liking most of the stuff I watch from a multitude of genres, not including the dull generic seasonal LN shonen because those got boring painfully fast.

Some stuff I don't see on your list:
  • Moryou no Hako (mystery with some cool Japanese cultural elements)
  • Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (starts like a generic cutesy SoL, but then turns into an appealing mystery thriller)
  • Perfect Insider (a more recent mystery series, but it has received some mixed reactions)
  • Black Lagoon (really good action series)
  • Paranoia Agent (amazing supernatural/psychological thriller by the late Satoshi Kon)
  • Psycho Pass (season 1 rocks, but S2 and the movie are decidedly weaker)

Maki is good but no Hotaru

Koyomimonogatari is such a bore :/

Yeah this format really sucks. Its only held up by the characters being there and when you are focusing on Karen (zzzzzzzz) you can't even do that right.

Do you overscore anime or have a scewed view on the rating system?

Yeah, I tend to give things a 6 when they are really a 5 or a 4. I just don't care enough about shows I dropped after two episodes.

wtf is with fujos and Ichimatsu

Aki-at

Looking at some of the ratings (High School of the Dead or Cat Planet Cuties) makes me thing I may have been a little too lenient on some of these scores.

blurr

Aria the Natural 23

This was a beautiful episode. Everyone help out an old man try to make his wife's dream come true. Dramatic as it sounds, remember, embarrassing remarks are not allowed. I love how self conscious it is about its mushy moments and dialogues.

"I love Neo Venezia so I want others to love it too" - Akari

It's a simple reason but still a good enough for her to help the old man out. This was also a result of the world building over the course of 22 episodes of the show.

The show had very little going on in each scene but that didn't bother me at all. It was as though it was simply enjoying every moment to the fullest. It had simple sequences of almost nothing going on in terms of animation: they just show the characters smiling or the scenery. It's all very easy to take in and it really helps me put my mind at ease on a rough day.

Actually, watching Grimgar has made me feel bad for Ryosuke Nakamura, as he seems to have a clear idea of what he'd like to turn this series into but feels hamstrung by the nature of both the source material and executive mandates such as Aniplex wanting to use the show as a promotional vehicle for [K]NoW_NAME.

You're right in most part, other than it's actually Toho are the one keep pushing the band, not Aniplex.
There's a MAL thread talked about this: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1481645

Tom Nook

Finished watching Yuna Yuki is a Hero

Series went dark but through the power of friendship, it all went good for the girls.
Personally, they should of left Yuki on a wheelchair (not brain dead), and now have Togo pushing the wheelchair. (Roles reverse)

Are we doing this?
y19YAnq.png

I give a lot of 5s. I probably don't use the very bottom of the scale enough, but I sometimes just drop things quite that terrible and not score them.

blurr

I thought Patema Inverted was alright. No more than that.

Are we doing this?
y19YAnq.png

I give a lot of 5s. I probably don't use the very bottom of the scale enough, but I sometimes just drop things quite that terrible and not score them.

someone had a lot of free time :p

Cornbread78

I use "7" as my average score since I just tend to stop watching things

My average score is 7.91, so I guess I'm too nice and not jaded enough to give everything crappy scores yet. Give me another year or so, then I can start being a hardcore scoring demon and I'll rescore my entire list.

pbayne

100% of my ratings were me calling Patema Inverted shit and getting my review privileges removed.

It had some nice backgrounds but it was pretty mediocre alright.

Do you guys actually finish below-5-rated anime?[/QUOTE]

Very rarely. Never understood how people can watch stuff they actively dislike.

Edit: Messed up quote.

JulianImp

I forgot to recommend Kekkai Sensen, but since I haven't written much about it I guess I'll do a review now:

Kekkai Sensen #1-12
While the ending wasn't entirely what I had expected, I kind of liked most of it. It had some nice action and passable comedy, but it was kind of sad how little screen time was devoted to most of the cast, which were kind of one-note and got hardly any development outside of Leo, Klauss (gotta love his VA), and then Black and White (even though it happened kind of late for these two). I've got to thank the show for doing weekly cases without framing all of them as Libra's target of the week (the one with the mushroom guy in it was nice, for example), and the setting of a strange zone in NY that gets overlain with a parallel world and has humans and weird monsters together was fairly novel and executed fairly well.

I've got to say that I wasn't entirely happy with the way the show turned out after a bit, since I really liked things such as the way Leo and White's relationship progressed at first, but while it didn't meet my expectations by the end it still managed to do okay.

SNAFU up to #10
I used to be socially awkward back in high school, so it's kind of interesting to see two stylized representations of people like that in Hachiman and Yukino. The cast has nice chemistry for the most part, even though I'm kind of reluctant to accept characters such as Yuigahama since her scenes so far remind me too much of Nisekoi's Onodera, and I'm kind of tired of these pure characters that always get too awkward around the guy they like to actually confess to him, resulting in a stalemate that doesn't help develop either character.

The supporting cast all appear to be kind of one-note with characters such as the ikemen that's a really nice guy, the nerdy fujoshi, the sort-of bratty social girl (good thing she isn't actually an asshole for the most part, though), the boy that could pass off for a girl (with the MC constantly swooning over him as a running gag) and the cutesy little sister that constantly sets situations up for the MC and the two main girls that turn out to be dates in all but name. Still, it feels like the show knows not to abuse them to the point they make the show boring and repetitive.

This culture festival arc is obviously the catalyst that will help Hachiman and Yukino open up a bit more, but it's nice to see that they still do things their own way rather than suddenly acting out-of-character for the sake of moving the plot forward. I really like seeing how Hachiman gets to take jabs at the sham festival president that make her look really bad, but then he diverts attention to himself by making it seem like he's a selfish asshole because he doesn't mind people seeing him that way.

I'm kind of salty that these last handful of episodes are all part of a larger arc, since I had to stop at ep10 but really want the closure of seeing how the arc ends (most likely in ep12).

blurr

I use "7" as my average score since I just tend to stop watching things

My average score is 7.91, so I guess I'm too nice and not jaded enough to give everything crappy scores yet. Give me another year or so, then I can start being a hardcore scoring demon and I'll rescore my entire list.

lol, my average is 8.27, I pick shows I'm most likely to like anyways.

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan 02

Hmm... They saved the club with just 3 members? Didn't they need 5?

AFAIK it is 4

Russ T

Banned
Rating shows on a scale of one to ten feels like an utter waste of time to me. I either like it or I don't, and if I have reservations, I spell it out in text. Numbers are a pain.

I realize I'm in the minority.

blurr

I forgot to recommend Kekkai Sensen, but since I haven't written much about it I guess I'll do a review now:

Kekkai Sensen #1-12
While the ending wasn't entirely what I had expected, I kind of liked most of it. It had some nice action and passable comedy, but it was kind of sad how little screen time was devoted to most of the cast, which were kind of one-note and got hardly any development outside of Leo, Klauss (gotta love his VA), and then Black and White (even though it happened kind of late for these two). I've got to thank the show for doing weekly cases without framing all of them as Libra's target of the week (the one with the mushroom guy in it was nice, for example), and the setting of a strange zone in NY that gets overlain with a parallel world and has humans and weird monsters together was fairly novel and executed fairly well.

I've got to say that I wasn't entirely happy with the way the show turned out after a bit, since I really liked things such as the way Leo and White's relationship progressed at first, but while it didn't meet my expectations by the end it still managed to do okay.

SNAFU up to #10
I used to be socially awkward back in high school, so it's kind of interesting to see two stylized representations of people like that in Hachiman and Yukino. The cast has nice chemistry for the most part, even though I'm kind of reluctant to accept characters such as Yuigahama since her scenes so far remind me too much of Nisekoi's Onodera, and I'm kind of tired of these pure characters that always get too awkward around the guy they like to actually confess to him, resulting in a stalemate that doesn't help develop either character.

The supporting cast all appear to be kind of one-note with characters such as the ikemen that's a really nice guy, the nerdy fujoshi, the sort-of bratty social girl (good thing she isn't actually an asshole for the most part, though), the boy that could pass off for a girl (with the MC constantly swooning over him as a running gag) and the cutesy little sister that constantly sets situations up for the MC and the two main girls that turn out to be dates in all but name. Still, it feels like the show knows not to abuse them to the point they make the show boring and repetitive.

This culture festival arc is obviously the catalyst that will help Hachiman and Yukino open up a bit more, but it's nice to see that they still do things their own way rather than suddenly acting out-of-character for the sake of moving the plot forward. I really like seeing how Hachiman gets to take jabs at the sham festival president that make her look really bad, but then he diverts attention to himself by making it seem like he's a selfish asshole because he doesn't mind people seeing him that way.

I'm kind of salty that these last handful of episodes are all part of a larger arc, since I had to stop at ep10 but really want the closure of seeing how the arc ends (most likely in ep12).

I adore Kekkai Sensen for its world. The characters are pretty interesting too but it's the universe that sold the show to me. Ending is something I liked too, glad that they took more than 30 minutes.

You are in for a ride in SNAFU S2. It'll offer a lot in terms of the character development and personality depth.

Rating shows on a scale of one to ten feels like an utter waste of time to me. I either like it or I don't, and if I have reservations, I spell it out in text. Numbers are a pain.

I think of ratings as a one dimensional look at creative works but in reality they are a multidimensional phenomenon which is why text based reviews/impressions hold stronger value. I still endorse ratings because it does in some way, however abstract reflects something about me and it's simply convenient. That being said, it's important to take them with a grain of salt as they don't entirely represent everything I have to say.

What's the feeling on Guilty Crown around here?

Guilty Crown had potential but was pretty awful.

That being said, the OST was by Egoist and the first OP was the best OP that has ever existed in the history of anime since the beginning of time, so it's pretty much worth watching for the music alone. It's that fucking good, take it from someone who skips OPs every time.

The supporting cast all appear to be kind of one-note with characters such as the ikemen that's a really nice guy, the nerdy fujoshi,

Hoo hoo boy, are you in for a pleasant surprise in Season 2. Blondie McEverybodylovesme has already revealed a hint of what's to come.

How is doing something that takes only a few seconds* a waste of time?

*the largest portion of time taken is when one first makes a profile

Ascheroth

Apparently my mean score is 7.68, but there's also a number of shows I haven't rated.
Recently I've also stopped rating most of the things I watch. I realized I don't even know or care about the MAL ratings of the shows I watch, so rating things myself has started to feel like a waste of time.

brawly

That being said, the OST was by Egoist and the first OP was the best OP that has ever existed in the history of anime since the beginning of time, so it's pretty much worth watching for the music alone. It's that fucking good, take it from someone who skips OPs every time.

"I'm you-u-u-uuuurs..." gets me everytime.

Guilty Crown had potential but was pretty awful.

It was all so good, but I loved The Everlasting Guilty Crown a bit more than My Dearest.

And the ED themes were so good, I still get emotional whenever I play Departures. Ouma Shu :(

Ascheroth

Guilty Crown had this soundtrack, which means I couldn't even dislike it if I wanted to (and no I don't)

Why people keep linking to Sony Music Japan music, we in America can never see those links videos, lol.

But yes Bios is one of the best songs on the Guilty Crown OST. Listen to it daily.

I just took the first one that worked for me : P
Have this 1 hour loop if the above link doesn't work ;)

JulianImp

I adore Kekkai Sensen for its world. The characters are pretty interesting too but it's the universe that sold the show to me. Ending is something I liked too, glad that they took more than 30 minutes.

You are in for a ride in SNAFU S2. It'll offer a lot in terms of the character development and personality depth.

Yeah, it was just infinitely more appealing to me than most anime worlds I've seen as of late because of how novel it was. That doesn't mean I hate shows set in Japan, high schools or RPG-ish parallel worlds, but seeing a different kind of world was nice for a change and it seemed like it was fairly well thought out with how humans and otherworldly creatures coexisted within Hellsalem's Lot.

That episode where Klauss fought some creature in a chess-like game was really interesting because it subverted my expectations of "fights all the time" while still managing to cement Klauss as an A-tier badass (he has both brains and brawn!).

I'm glad to hear that SNAFU keeps up the pace come S2, since character-based stories are really my favorite kind of show and this one definitely counts as a good one in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom