• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right in most part, other than it's actually Toho are the one keep pushing the band, not Aniplex.
There's a MAL thread talked about this: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1481645

Ah, I assuming Aniplex was funding Grimgar because of A-1 Pictures; I didn't realize that Aniplex was letting A-1 work for other anime production companies. But man, they actually recorded dialogue for the insert song segments and were forced to mute it? You can't get a much more blatant example of executive meddling than that.

Prince of Stride Alternative Episode 7
CbVttbvUAAALIVR.jpg:large

Training episode became a beach episode. Worth it but of course my favorite (Kadowaki) has to be in his shirt in the water :( He was exercising and stuff but maybe still injured somewhat?

I love this animes sounds effects, the hand clapping effect as well as the sounds when they land or am jumping onto the gimmicks. All good.

I'm glad to hear that SNAFU keeps up the pace come S2, since character-based stories are really my favorite kind of show and this one definitely counts as a good one in my book.

A lot of people soured on S2 and liked S1 better because S2 was way more tightly focused on the dramatic aspects of the show and left behind a lot of the humor, and while it certainly does hit a pacing issue later on, as a result the character development and interactions get some real fucking meat to them.

I don't want to spoil a thing, but I think if you've reached the episode you have in Season 1 than you've already seen hints of some of the side characters being deeper characters than they appear. I actually find, with the combination of S1 and S2, that the blonde popular guy is one of the more fascinating characters in the show. His relationship with Hachiman is secondary and not focused on a lot but I think it's almost as interesting as his relationship with the two girls.

SNAFU is one of my absolute favorite shows of the past number of years.

DTL said:
It was all so good, but I loved The Everlasting Guilty Crown a bit more than My Dearest.

The only problem with EGC and the 2nd OP that Egoist did is that they have this weird problem with choruses where the whole song is fucking amazing and then the chorus is some bog-standard JPOP chorus hook. I found EGC an amazing song and then the chorus hits and it's like... "Ew."

Then again, My Dearest is objectively the best song ever so you're wrong anyways

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan 03

Huh. It actually got better. The first episode was terrible and the second kinda bad. This one was decent.

Hamst3r

The mean fluctuates but always stays roughly around a 7.

Oh and I just finished watching Futari wa Pretty Cure, and I think I'm going to start Nana.

Cornbread78

SNAFU up to #10
I used to be socially awkward back in high school, so it's kind of interesting to see two stylized representations of people like that in Hachiman and Yukino. The cast has nice chemistry for the most part, even though I'm kind of reluctant to accept characters such as Yuigahama since her scenes so far remind me too much of Nisekoi's Onodera, and I'm kind of tired of these pure characters that always get too awkward around the guy they like to actually confess to him, resulting in a stalemate that doesn't help develop either character.
The supporting cast all appear to be kind of one-note with characters such as the ikemen that's a really nice guy, the nerdy fujoshi, the sort-of bratty social girl (good thing she isn't actually an asshole for the most part, though), the boy that could pass off for a girl (with the MC constantly swooning over him as a running gag) and the cutesy little sister that constantly sets situations up for the MC and the two main girls that turn out to be dates in all but name. Still, it feels like the show knows not to abuse them to the point they make the show boring and repetitive.
This culture festival arc is obviously the catalyst that will help Hachiman and Yukino open up a bit more, but it's nice to see that they still do things their own way rather than suddenly acting out-of-character for the sake of moving the plot forward. I really like seeing how Hachiman gets to take jabs at the sham festival president that make her look really bad, but then he diverts attention to himself by making it seem like he's a selfish asshole because he doesn't mind people seeing him that way.
I'm kind of salty that these last handful of episodes are all part of a larger arc, since I had to stop at ep10 but really want the closure of seeing how the arc ends (most likely in ep12).

Just keep watching, it's get's even more "genuine" and intense in season 2. The character interactions and their dispositions are what make this series shine. You've barely scratched the surface my friend.

Taruranto

two guys kissing = too much, wanna drop show

show encouraging casual molestation and misogyny = could have been great

Sounds like MAL posting.

(to clarify: check out people reactions to shows like Haruchika or SSY on MAL and then look if there has been similar reactions for shows like Illya and the like :p)

Cornbread78

X6merMj.jpg

But she looks so happy doing it, just look at that gleam in her eye.
bV1K0C5.jpg

And everyone's favorite weekly chart:
7wgIwPG.png

WTF happened in Durarara last week?

JulianImp

X6merMj.jpg

But she looks so happy doing it, just look at that gleam in her eye.

WTF happened in Durarara last week?

I still wonder how Megumin got to become an arch-wizard and get enough skill points to learn explosion if she didn't have any other skills, but then again this is an RPG world where the logical explanation would be some group of overleveled people that could've partied up with her to rush her without even having to fight. She's still cool, though.

And regarding Durarara, I still haven't watched the latest episode but tension's rising with Celty going berserk after C. Viper Saika girl slashed Shinra and kidnapped him. Oh, and things concerning Mikado are also moving along faster now, which made the show fun to watch again.

Good to see Rakugo back on chart. Hopefully it doesn't end up exploding during re-entry.

Taruranto

I haven't watched the very episode, but I think DRRR has been in a good place recently, it really felt like stuff are moving on finally.

tuffy

I still wonder how Megumin got to become an arch-wizard and get enough skill points to learn explosion if she didn't have any other skills, but then again this is an RPG world where the logical explanation would be some group of overleveled people that could've partied up with her to rush her without even having to fight. She's still cool, though.
Just imagine that the "explosion" skill is the sort one can invest more skill points into in order to make it more powerful. It might start out weak with 1 skill point invested, but gets very powerful (and more costly) once 10 points are invested in it (or whatever).

Over-specializing in skills too early for the amount of TPs a character has at a given level is an actual problem one can run into in the Etrian Odyssey series. So I can relate.

pbayne

They actually had an episode where the main cast was relevant.

Pretty much this.

When Durarara is good its damn good but unfortunately thats not that often. Like the last two arcs were really directionless at times and they introduced so many pointless characters. Thankfully this arc has been great so far.

Who remembers Izaya's sisters? What have they contributed to the story at all?

Ascheroth

And regarding Durarara, I still haven't watched the latest episode but tension's rising with Celty going berserk after C. Viper Saika girl slashed Shinra and kidnapped him. Oh, and things concerning Mikado are also moving along faster now, which made the show fun to watch again.

Good to see Rakugo back on chart. Hopefully it doesn't end up exploding during re-entry.

In episode 1 it was shown they could choose their class based on the stats the guilds fancy magic tool determined, like how Aqua was eligible for every higher class right from the get go.
I imagine it was the same with Megumin. And then she just used all her skillpoints to get the Explosion magic.
-------
Durarara is always good. And if it's not good it's great, like this entire season has been : P

Russ T

Banned
Oh, also, I caught up to Konosuba last night and was really sad there wasn't an episode six yet. Today though!!!

That shit with the cage.

DED

JulianImp

Who remembers Izaya's sisters? What have they contributed to the story at all?

They
kissed
in S1, I think. Other than that I've got nothing

Is Celty still with that shitbag fucking awful doctor character?

If so, then every episode is still unwatchable.

The episode before the latest one had Shinra abducted while Celty goes berserk and chases after his captor, but yeah, she has fallen head-over-heels for him (heh) so I guess they'll get stay together after this.

Cornbread78

Oh, also, I caught up to Konosuba last night and was really sad there wasn't an episode six yet. Today though!!!

That shit with the cage.

DED

She was so broken after the ordeal...
6lYvpwc.gif

Well, the next episode is about 22 hours away now...

One of these days, I'll have to dig into Durarara and Fairy Tail... One of these days...

The episode before the latest one had Shinra abducted while Celty goes berserk and chases after his captor, but yeah, she has fallen head-over-heels for him (heh) so I guess they'll get stay together after this.

Ugh, think I threw up in my mouth a little.

For a show that I generally love the characters of, Shinra is a straight up awfully written pile of fucking garbage. He's almost offensive. Like one of the writers was a creepy stalker IRL and was like "Time to write my creepy and sexist wish fulfillment!"

Yu Yu Hakusho - 98

I'm excited to finally see more of the demon realm. It's been talked about so much throughout the show, but aside from a few moments, we haven't actually seen much that world at all as of yet.
It's a bit of a shame it's getting explored when we're so near of the end. Perhaps I would've been more pleased if the Black Saga was reversed in a way, to allow for more creativity and variety in both opponents and world design. This would've also made me more easily accept certain events that happened.

Ever since the Dark Tournament it has felt a bit weird with the bigger fish structure, but now at the end game it feels validated enough. The political power struggle between the three lords gives a sense of tension, but I must say it feels too convenient in the chosing of their companions, that I can already anticipate the likely resolution. Yusuke first meeting with the lord was rather amusing, and very much like him.
Unusual amount of fisheye, 45 degree angles and ongoing camera movements in this episode by the way, especially the latter which was neat.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Prince of Stride Alternative Episode 7
CbVttbvUAAALIVR.jpg:large

Training episode became a beach episode. Worth it but of course my favorite (Kadowaki) has to be in his shirt in the water :( He was exercising and stuff but maybe still injured somewhat?

I love this animes sounds effects, the hand clapping effect as well as the sounds when they land or am jumping onto the gimmicks. All good.
Did this show turn into Free?

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan 03

Huh. It actually got better. The first episode was terrible and the second kinda bad. This one was decent.
You basically need to get to Haruhi showing up to remind you that Nagato is the best.

JulianImp

Ugh, think I threw up in my mouth a little.

For a show that I generally love the characters of, Shinra is a straight up awfully written pile of fucking garbage. He's almost offensive. Like one of the writers was a creepy stalker IRL and was like "Time to write my creepy and sexist wish fulfillment!"

I hate Seiji and his love triangle more than Shinra, but I agree that he doesn't do much for the show other than being a middleman that's linked to almost all factions and characters. Still, who wouldn't want to be loved by someone who has Sawashiro's voice?

Deadpool

This was better than I expected.

I was impressed that Deadpool actually felt like a character in this rather than a meme. While the typical fourth-wall breaks and comedy were there, it wasn't constantly in-your-face throughout the entire film.

Ascheroth

She was so broken after the ordeal...
6lYvpwc.gif

Well, the next episode is about 22 hours away now...

One of these days, I'll have to dig into Durarara and Fairy Tail... One of these days...

Might as well wait until this season is over before diving into Durarara at this point, since this is basically the finale.

Might as well forget about that second show you mentioned.

So is this like a global twitter trending list or what exactly?

It's like Gafs AOTY vote.

Just worse :p

JulianImp

You basically need to get to Haruhi showing up to remind you that Nagato is the best.

While I get why people might not like Haruhi as a character, I like Kyon's interactions (read: friction) with her infinitely more than how he interacts with either version of Nagato. Seeing Kyon getting overwhelmed by Haruhi's crazy whimsical attitude and the few occasions where she's the one who's driven into a corner is far more entertaining for me than Nagato acting all flustered every single time he's around. Alternate-reality Nagato is yet another female character that reminds me of Onodera, only she's even more bashful and clumsy around the guy she likes, which is a pretty tall order given how badly Onodera interacts with Raku.

Like, I can find it kind of cute that the girl lacks the self-confidence to get closer to the guy she likes and it does make sense, but I find making that part of her personality so important to define her as a character to be awfully boring. Oddly enough, I guess even the original TMoHS had a similar setup of "host of characters gather around Haruhi and Kyon and help them/show tell each other what they feel for the other", but maybe it was that I liked how everyone would go along with Haruhi's whims until Kyon would eventually oppose her strongly enough to make his stand against her and her god-like level of authority and power.

On the other hand, having a show where every time the girl is about to get closer to the guy something awkward or funny happens that completely kills the mood and derails the situation... that stuff gets boring fast.

I hate Seiji and his love triangle more than Shinra, but I agree that he doesn't do much for the show other than being a middleman that's linked to almost all factions and characters. Still, who wouldn't want to be loved by someone who has Sawashiro's voice?

That is a legitimate point.

I expected some outcry after Aqua singing Donna Donna but I guess I gave ANN and co too much credit that they would know that song in the first place.

I think, for a show that generally isn't subtle with it's humor (which is fine), that this was an incredibly subtle reference/joke. I think the people that got it laughed their ass off and the people that didn't laughed anyway because the lyrics were funny so it skipped by a lot of people and everyone thought everyone else was laughing at it for the same reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom