• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Please don't use the F word around here

QCeULQF.gif

I just wanted to post this new gif I found, it is awesome...lol

Also Cornbread why do you make those chart images always so small, they are kinda hard to read.

I'll leave them at 400x next time. If I leave them full size it takes up a lot of space.

Russ T

Banned
She was so broken after the ordeal...
6lYvpwc.gif

Well, the next episode is about 22 hours away now...

One of these days, I'll have to dig into Durarara and Fairy Tail... One of these days...

YEAH. DED.

also TWENTY TWO

shit

crunchyroll is really bad about getting my hopes up, last night it said "one day away", and it's been fourteen hours since i watched ep 5 ):

I'll leave them at 400x next time. If I leave them full size it takes up a lot of space.

PROTIP: Put images in a quote box and it'll shrink 'em down! People can click to expand.

...Not sure how that owrks on mobile, tho.

pbayne

Did this show turn into Free?

Nah Stride is way more of a straight sports show than Free ever was. Apart from that scene there's very little overt fujioshi bait too.

Anyways

Patlabor Early Days End

Fantastic action, characters, stories and unique direction. Able to balance goofy shit(mechas clotheslining each other) with high stakes-political drama. And it has the main man Captain Goto.

convo

You know Kono Suba's MC reminds me of Rance, with a much lower sex-drive.His face in Cornbreads avatar really made the resemblance clear to me. Same color-scheme and face and all that.
He really is doing fine as an adventurer,needs some motivation to get going though. His non-virgin alter ego could have conquered a kingdom and get all the girls in the time he sat on his ass.

Haikyuu S2 19

This episode was half setup for next year, establishing what Date's team will be like then, and half setup for next match, getting Karasuno pumped for their rematch with Aoba Johsai. I guess the end of the second season will be Karasuno getting their revenge for their loss at the end of the first season, which is fitting.

The ending of this episode got me really pumped for next episode, especially with that music.

Looks OK.

Line_HTX

You know Kono Suba's MC reminds me of Rance, with a much lower sex-drive.His face in Cornbreads avatar really made the resemblance clear to me. Same color-scheme and face and all that.
He really is doing fine as an adventurer,needs some motivation to get going though. His non-virgin alter ego could have conquered a kingdom and get all the girls in the time he sat on his ass.

Sometimes I think his avatar looks like a giant "Fuck you" with his tongue sticking out, lol.

Konosuba's faces are great, especially when they puff up both their cheeks with their eyes closed.

Yu Yu Hakusho - 99

It goes to show what a change in environment can do to freshen things up. For the majority of 30 episodes we've had dull urban environments and, well, simple caves.
The last one and a half episodes that has taken place in the demon realm, have already offered more variety than all the other episodes combined.

Outside of the environment changes I'm also pleased to finally get some origin information on Hiei. It's a good timing considering the location, and it fits well into the narrative continuing. It turned out more cruel and perhaps ignorant than I expected!
I really hope Kurama gets the same treatment as he is no doubt sharing the top spot with Kuwabara. The Demon Realm journey has been off to a good start!

Yu Yu Hakusho - 99

It goes to show what a change in environment can do to freshen things up. For the majority of 30 episodes we've had dull urban environments and, well, simple caves.
The last one and a half episodes that has taken place in the demon realm, have already offered more variety than all the other episodes combined.

Outside of the environment changes I'm also pleased to finally get some origin information on Hiei. It's a good timing considering the location, and it fits well into the narrative continuing. It turned out more cruel and perhaps ignorant than I expected!
I really hope Kurama gets the same treatment as he is no doubt sharing the top spot with Kuwabara. The Demon Realm journey has been off to a good start!

I just want to say I appreciate your Yu Yu Hakusho posts, especially the attractive screenshots you include. Gets me excited for my eventual watch of the series.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Turn into? It was always an explicitly fujoshi-oriented sports show.
I just meant the shirtless water scene. lol

While I get why people might not like Haruhi as a character, I like Kyon's interactions (read: friction) with her infinitely more than how he interacts with either version of Nagato. Seeing Kyon getting overwhelmed by Haruhi's crazy whimsical attitude and the few occasions where she's the one who's driven into a corner is far more entertaining for me than Nagato acting all flustered every single time he's around. Alternate-reality Nagato is yet another female character that reminds me of Onodera, only she's even more bashful and clumsy around the guy she likes, which is a pretty tall order given how badly Onodera interacts with Raku.

Like, I can find it kind of cute that the girl lacks the self-confidence to get closer to the guy she likes and it does make sense, but I find making that part of her personality so important to define her as a character to be awfully boring. Oddly enough, I guess even the original TMoHS had a similar setup of "host of characters gather around Haruhi and Kyon and help them/show tell each other what they feel for the other", but maybe it was that I liked how everyone would go along with Haruhi's whims until Kyon would eventually oppose her strongly enough to make his stand against her and her god-like level of authority and power.

On the other hand, having a show where every time the girl is about to get closer to the guy something awkward or funny happens that completely kills the mood and derails the situation... that stuff gets boring fast.
Well, the original series basically had robo-Nagato be the cleaner, which to me made her more interesting because she's basically the person who has to mop up the crime scene after the action hero kills 50 bad guys and leaves a pile of corpses lying around.

Yeah, the alternate reality version of Nagato is your standard shy shoujo-heroine, but they play with that enough to make that interesting. Particularly the way they deal with the love triangle that people assume has to exist because of their existing knowledge of the franchise.

wonzo

Banned
People said last season that updating the OP was pointless, but people do come in to the thread lttp and it may be worth saying what is worth watching now we are over half way through.

just remove all the bad shows and slip tabi machi late show & paul blart in there somewhere

e: like so

1. Active Raid: Kidou Kyoushuushitsu Dai Hakkei (crap)
2. BBK/BRNK (crap)
3. Dagashi Kashi (good)
4. Dimension W (???)
5. Divine Gate (crap)
6. ERASED (ehh)
7. Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash (crap, replace with konosuba)
8. Myriad Colors Phantom World (crap)
9. Nurse Witch Komugi-chan R (????)
10. Please Tell Me! Galko-chan (good)
11. Pandora in the Crimson Shell (darkside/abf pedo tier)
12. Prince of Stride: Alternative (crap)
13. Sekko Boys (good)
14. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu (good i guess?)
15. Sushi Police (dead meme anime)
16. Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle (Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut) (crap)
17. Tabimachi Late Show (great)
18. Paul Blart

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Pandora in the Crimson Shell has 2D animated cars! That automatically makes it better than most shows this season.

In fact maybe I should make badges to label shows with. 2D cars is something of definite interest.

Pandora in the Crimson Shell has 2D animated cars! That automatically makes it better than most shows this season.

In fact maybe I should make badges to label shows with. 2D cars is something of definite interest.

You must be mistaken.

It's physically impossible to animate cars in traditional 2D animation. It's never been done.

Ojisan and Marshmellow is a bad show that I have to assume people are only interested in because of the novelty of seeing 30-something office workers do the stereotypical "innuendo girl meets dense guy" anime routine.

It's cute and short so it won't overstay its outcome. Also OL are a plus

For me it overstayed its welcome with the second episode, but I can see how the short length would make it more tolerable for some.

Are there any original anime series coming this spring or is everything manga/LN based?

Original anime airing in the spring:

Concrete Revolutio S2
Endride
Gekidol
Hai Furi
Kagewani S2
Kamiwaza Wanda
Kiznaiver
Koutetsujou no Kabaneri
Kuromukuro
Macross Delta
Mayoiga
Space Patrol Luluco

Cornbread78

Concrete Revolutio is completely original.
So is Production IG's Joker Game.
Kiznaiver.
There's something called Endride. It's original, but I have no idea what it's about.

For me it overstayed its welcome with the second episode, but I can see how the short length would make it more tolerable for some.

Original anime airing in the spring:

Concrete Revolutio S2
Endride
Gekidol
Hai Furi
Kagewani S2
Kamiwaza Wanda
Kiznaiver
Koutetsujou no Kabaneri
Kuromukuro
Macross Delta
Mayoiga
Space Patrol Luluco

Damn, good stuff. When does that anime air from the SAO writer?

Yu Yu Hakusho - 100

These two episodes have made me appreciate Hiei a lot more and somewhat understand his recklessness and general edgyness.
It did a good job to use a retelling of events without feeling to much of an 'infodump', especially with the simple wording by one of the Kings at the end, or should I say
Queen?

Despite being the driving force and climax of Hiei's past, I would've liked the duel with Shigure to have a bit more content, so to speak.

wonzo

Banned
But isn't the idea to remove bad shows, not to ad more of them ?

Ojisan and Marshmellow is a bad show that I have to assume people are only interested in because of the novelty of seeing 30-something office workers do the stereotypical "innuendo girl meets dense guy" anime routine.

if you can't appreciate paul blart visiting a marshmallow factory like it's mecca & being called the marshmallow fairy by it's workers then you're dead inside

Fantastic Children 4

I wonder how the escaped prisoner and the organization she ran away from (apparently doing psychic experiments or something of that sort?) tie into the Children of Belfort and Helga. This show is taking a risky course by setting up a lot of mysterious threads without doing much grounding work; the payoff is going to be really pivotal to making the whole thing work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom