• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

I would say something about Deadpool but I'm still unable to form constructive impressions of anything I have watched lately, just like my body is unable to form normal poop out of anything I ate lately. It's been rough.

Really though, that shit sucks.... like bad. Hope ya feel better soon bro.

zulux21

In a surprising announcement, a company called Pied Piper is planning on launching an Indiegogo campaign for an English dub and DVD/BD release of Skip Beat.

I guess I'm surprised because I haven't heard of the company before, that it's using Indiegogo instead of Kickstarter, and that it's Skip Beat. Is the show any good? I think Pied Piper had something to do with Time of Eve's original BD over here, but I'm not certain.

Skip Beat is likely my favorite anime that no one talks about.

it's a great show that sadly just kind of ends (though the manga is great as well)

it never helped it that despite being a rom com (though the romance takes a back seat for very long periods of time) with no mature content it was aired at the late night mature time slot.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
why do i have to be subjected to these gross things just because i open up the anime thread.

Rakugo 6

Fuck this show is so good. These performances are so much fun to watch. AOTS unless it Erases itself.

I feel really bad for Miyokichi. Her relationship with Kiku seems one sided :( I really thought she would be a troublesome character with how she was introduced but shes been great help to the guys, especially Kiku.

So are Geishas like prostitutes? Or just like entertainers, like the older version of those hostess clubs?

Cornbread78

why do i have to be subjected to these gross things just because i open up the anime thread.

Yeah, I thought better of it after, so I removed it shortly after. The gif was funny and all, but, I know how it feels, so it gone....

Speaking of shit, time to finish the last chapter of The Order 1886.

Clov

You know, even if I wanted to pledge to the Skip Beat campaign when it starts, if it charges in USD it'll probably cost me way too much for a set thanks to the terrible CAD right now. Looks like I'll be skipping it after all!

zulux21

You know, even if I wanted to pledge to the Skip Beat campaign when it starts, if it charges in USD it'll probably cost me way too much for a set thanks to the terrible CAD right now. Looks like I'll be skipping it after all!

It most likely will be.
wish they were doing kickstarter instead of indiegogo, that collecting money as soon as you pledge really hurts the momentum of most projects on indiegogo.

that being said indiegogo has made it easy for slacker backer stuff, and takes less fees so I am guessing that is why they moved from kickstarter to indiegogo.

diaspora

In my attempt to catch up to Koyomimonogatari, I watched Hanamonogatari on CR and that was... sadder than I was expecting. The ending sequence with young Rouka with her broken leg crying on the bridge in the raining, knowing she kills herself was really something. Especially when it looked like she may have liked Suruga too.

x1f480.png.pagespeed.ic.sgphl_7Fk3.png
decadd7edb6b1014ca0cb7a1afcb8ea3.png

Skullpoopl!

But yeah, as someone who is a Deadpool snob and thinks all of his incarnations since Joe Kelly's 1-23 run have been worse and worse, descending into sheer garbage, I found the movie to be a riot and incredibly fun.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think the most clever part about the structure of Tatami Galaxy is that the protagonist is the only one whose actions change in between universes. The rest of the cast seem to be fixed in as much as they're doing the same things timeline to timeline and an off-hand remark in one episode gets explained in detail in another, like Ozu's "information network".

Narag

Skullpoopl!

But yeah, as someone who is a Deadpool snob and thinks all of his incarnations since Joe Kelly's 1-23 run have been worse and worse, descending into sheer garbage, I found the movie to be a riot and incredibly fun.

Didwejustbecomebestfriends gif

Cornbread78

Can I just say fuck the Order and fuck Tesla, let him die. I got so pissed I dropped it out of hard mode and still couldn't finish that level; serious difficulty spike bullshit, uugghh.

duckroll

Prince of Stride Alternative - Episode something to 6

I actually can't remember what episode I started catching up on last week, but eventually I caught up to episode 6. My impression is that this series is exactly what it appears to be, but does it pretty well. Not without flaws, and certainly the premise itself is not going to be a huge interest to everyone, but it's entertaining.

Basically there's a made-up sport that's Mirror's Edge meets Armored Core V, and all the characters come from right out of a BL game, literally. Not only does the Stride club race, but they also have to get a sponsor to fund them so they do modeling too. Of course one of them looks like a girl and gets trapped into crossdressing. The oldest members are two superhot guys who are so gay for each other you'll think they orgasm every time their hands connected in Stride. There's also manufactured drama galore to make things feel SERIOUS and ANGSTY. And the opponents they face are all largely single note tropes defined through a team of players.

But.

The guys are hot.

The art is kinda good.

The music really rocks.

And the actual races are super fun to watch.

I will race with them... to the End of Summer.

So I'm looking at the Heroic Legend of Arslan game. The one that's like Dynasty Warriors, and just came out.

And it looks fun. That said, it doesn't use any of the footage from the show. It uses the same art.

I'm not sure if it's a legal thing, Koei Tecmo being lazy, or if the animated scenes wouldn't fit with the rest of the game.

Skip Beat is likely my favorite anime that no one talks about.

it's a great show that sadly just kind of ends (though the manga is great as well)

it never helped it that despite being a rom com (though the romance takes a back seat for very long periods of time) with no mature content it was aired at the late night mature time slot.

I generally agree with this. Entirely watchable show, but doesn't really come to much of a conclusion.

Line_HTX

Sauzer was my favorite character in Ken's Rage. His supers were so badass from the nameless spear to the giant ultimate Level 3 Nanto Phoenix attack.

Cornbread78

stop playin bad games

I'm at the end and I borrowed it, so no financial loss, but I might need a hug after almost breaking my controller. Rage, rage, rage.. I'll finish Fri. Night.

Best part is I turned Minecraft on for a couple mins to relax and got killed by a creeper immediately. I need a good comfy anime to watch and chill with, but it's time for bed...

Oh, which is the original Aria?

So I'm looking at the Heroic Legend of Arslan game. The one that's like Dynasty Warriors, and just came out.

And it looks fun. That said, it doesn't use any of the footage from the show. It uses the same art.

I'm not sure if it's a legal thing, Koei Tecmo being lazy, or if the animated scenes wouldn't fit with the rest of the game.

Using preexisting footage would be the lazy thing to do, not modeling and animating your own cutscenes.

pbayne

In a surprising announcement, a company called Pied Piper is planning on launching an Indiegogo campaign for an English dub and DVD/BD release of Skip Beat.

I guess I'm surprised because I haven't heard of the company before, that it's using Indiegogo instead of Kickstarter, and that it's Skip Beat. Is the show any good? I think Pied Piper had something to do with Time of Eve's original BD over here, but I'm not certain.

I remember the Skip Beat gang was on Gintama once. Thats all I know of them.

Hope the campaign does well and they continue to bring over more obscure titles.

zulux21

I generally agree with this. Entirely watchable show, but doesn't really come to much of a conclusion.

it's because it ends in the middle of an arc. It's really a shame as another 13 episodes and you could have ended on a much better note.

I'm still dreaming that once it nears its end it will get another anime as there is a ton in the manga I would love to see animated. Though I can't imagine a shoujo manga getting a long anime adaption as they tend to not do so well :/

it at least got a drama a few years back, and looking at it quickly it looks like it ends around where i think the anime should have ended.

I am hoping that the complete series isn't to much more than $100 in this campaign, we will have to see in 2 weeks though.

Prince of Stride Alternative - Episode something to 6

I actually can't remember what episode I started catching up on last week, but eventually I caught up to episode 6. My impression is that this series is exactly what it appears to be, but does it pretty well. Not without flaws, and certainly the premise itself is not going to be a huge interest to everyone, but it's entertaining.

Basically there's a made-up sport that's Mirror's Edge meets Armored Core V, and all the characters come from right out of a BL game, literally. Not only does the Stride club race, but they also have to get a sponsor to fund them so they do modeling too. Of course one of them looks like a girl and gets trapped into crossdressing. The oldest members are two superhot guys who are so gay for each other you'll think they orgasm every time their hands connected in Stride. There's also manufactured drama galore to make things feel SERIOUS and ANGSTY. And the opponents they face are all largely single note tropes defined through a team of players.

But.

The guys are hot.

The art is kinda good.

The music really rocks.

And the actual races are super fun to watch.

I will race with them... to the End of Summer.

I'm enjoying it. The races are fun. It's Free + Parkour.

Using preexisting footage would be the lazy thing to do, not modeling and animating your own cutscenes.

The art is directly from the show, but it cuts between still frames. It uses the voice acted dialog from the show, so my guess is it's a size issue, not a cost one.

It would be a good one that's for sure. And have you not seen everyone's reactions on here? Movie is good.

I was just kidding. Given the thread your post made me think of a scene from the tail end of the movie.

And yeah deadpool is great. I'm really happy to see my second string man crush rewarded for his efforts.

Mailbox

Yuru Yuri lost whatever charm it had when it switched studios for S3.

This is a slog to get through.

The only thing worse about season 3 is the use of colour. Everything is dull. (That might be why it seems like a slog)

Everything else is good imo. Feels more focused. Did some nice stuff later in the season.
The half of the episode done entirely in silence and musical and sound ques was the best thing in all 3 seasons.

TUSR

Banned
The only thing worse about season 3 is the use of colour. Everything is dull. (That might be why it seems like a slog)

Everything else is good imo. Feels more focused. Did some nice stuff later in the season.
The half of the episode done entirely in silence and musical and sound ques was the best thing in all 3 seasons.
Focused or settled wasn't what kept me watching the previous seasons though.

The constant use of one facial expression for all the characters makes me think whoever did this season has the inability to express emotions.

All I can think about is Anakin Skywalker in the Star Wars prequels saying "yipeeeee" because George Lucas couldn't do emotions either.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I remember the Skip Beat gang was on Gintama once. Thats all I know of them.

Hope the campaign does well and they continue to bring over more obscure titles.
I think you mean Sket Dance, unless I'm missing something.

Got it, TY.
There's also an OVA that falls in between Natural and Origination, and also a 5.5 episode of Origination.

(There's also the picture dramas and drama CDs, but yeah)

BluWacky

The good stuff often gets overlooked, for the very reason that it is good and isn't focused on appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Fantastic Children was the victim of a very peculiar set of circumstances in the West.

For whatever reason, it was announced as licensed by Bandai before it even aired - a particularly rare thing to happen in 2004 unless your show was one of the various Geneon co-productions. Furthermore, no-one really had a clue what it was - if I remember rightly the show's website wasn't up and running yet, or at least there was just generally very little awareness that the show even existed. There was a fair amount of discussion as to whether it was a retitling of the then-recent Shin Megami Tensei Devil Children anime for the Western market! As pre-licensing was relatively rare in those days there was much more of an attitude in the circles of fandom I moved in that such shows were not to be touched by most fansubbers, so FChildren quickly fell into obscurity as a result.

Its promotion in Japan, as I remember, was heavily based around two things that are essentially meaningless to Western audiences - that Nippon Animation were animating it (in particular because they also did Future Boy Conan) and Takashi Nakamura was directing (the Ghibli link was played up here).

Regardless of the quality of the show, its old-school character designs combined with the marketing mess above rather doomed it to obscurity - an enormous shame, really.

blurr

Says 5 in the subs:
IsPYBlQ.jpg

lol thought in terms of K-On :p

Yeah, it was just infinitely more appealing to me than most anime worlds I've seen as of late because of how novel it was. That doesn't mean I hate shows set in Japan, high schools or RPG-ish parallel worlds, but seeing a different kind of world was nice for a change and it seemed like it was fairly well thought out with how humans and otherworldly creatures coexisted within Hellsalem's Lot.

That episode where Klauss fought some creature in a chess-like game was really interesting because it subverted my expectations of "fights all the time" while still managing to cement Klauss as an A-tier badass (he has both brains and brawn!).

I'm glad to hear that SNAFU keeps up the pace come S2, since character-based stories are really my favorite kind of show and this one definitely counts as a good one in my book.

Yea, that episode with Klauss was really something. One of the episodes that managed to land a strong impression about the show in general.

Qurupeke

Gintama 310

Despite the serious turn of the series, Zura scenes are always funny. I totally expected this to happen at their attempt for prison break. The show also keeps proving that Sasaki and Oboro are easily the worst.

Ascheroth

Durarararararara X2 - 30

Batshit insane Mikado is best Mikado.

Gintama - 310

At least we have Zura to provide some comedic relief during all this seriousness.
Things are getting crazy now, with both the Shinsengumi and Joi Rebels having the same goal for once.

Phatmac

Love Gin's new look honestly he looked like a badass. Sad to see Yoroyoza closed for now but none of these people will be able to return to their homes after going against the country. The dream team is real with the shinshengumi teaming up with Katsura's gang of rebels. Next week looks like a the prison break will take place so I'm excited.

Arabesque

Orange manga gets TV anime announced.

Director: Hiroshi Hamasaki (Texhnolyze, Steins;Gate)
Script: Yuuko Kakihara (Chihayafuru, Jewelpet Sunshine)
Character Design: Nobuteru Yuki (Kids on the Slope, Space Battleship Yamato 2199)
Animation Production: TMS Entertainment and Telecom Animation Film

I am a huge fan of the manga so this is pretty great news. I'm really happy that its getting this much recognition after the live action film as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom