• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mailbox

I mean...that's...that's the show. Like that's almost all of the focus and point.
It was the main story push stuff, but it felt so damn forced to me.

That and the otaku fat character was beyond annoying (I get that's the point, but still).

Anything having to do with iroha saved season 2 for me.

lonely

Heavy Metal L-Gaim 01
tumblr_mzz2gvTIea1s8o334o1_500.jpg
With some time off work I decided I wanted to watch an older mecha series. After seeing the awesome picture of the lead mech by Masami Obari I chose L-Gaim. The first thing about the series that struck me was how similar the mecha looked to those of The Five Star Stories and it turns out in fact they both share the same designer, Mamoru Nagano. It was at the same time I saw who the director of the series was. Love him or hate him, Yoshiyuki Tomino. So I tempered my expectations. And the series definitely has his unique style all over it. From the first female character being introduced with her underwear clearly visible or another character introduced by bashing into his surrounds 3 times in a 2 minute period. But fortunately I have a soft spot for his quirks. There's not much to say about the first episode really as it just serves to introduce our hero and really has no bearing on the overall plot. Our main character seems competent so far even if his hand to hand fight scene was incredibly slapstick, he did lop off his opponent's hand. I'm excited to see where the series goes having read a synopsis for the plot before I started watching. Also the opening is fantastic.

Sorry, never really been a fan of super-hero and the shounen/battle anime for the most part. But I have been at least entertained by Asterix, Calvary, and some of the other LN crap out there. It's not like any of them are going to provide any good character/relationship development anyhow. At least I can get some sophomoric humor out of it, lol.

Despite how some people may wish to characterize it, anime isn't just a choice between LN trash and shounen trash.

Honestly, even if next season is a let down, it'll still be more interesting than this one.

Rakugo Shinjuu alone makes the current season very interesting.

Why would that mean we are getting mostly original music? Just curious.

Kaoru Wada did not write music for any of the Ace Attorney games, and I doubt he would be hired solely to arrange other people's music.

Myriad Colors Phantom World Episode 7 – Schrödinger's Cat Mansion
CbbyXVUWAAEgKhI.png
CbbxAiWXIAArc9c.png

It was like they were tasked with giving Haruhiko the cutest moments. Really good episode even if I forgot the plot halfway through. He is such a good character design, really good.

Not sure what's the point of thinking in "more interesting than last season" is.

This season has remarkable shows the same way as the Spring season has remarkable shows.

T-Rex.

Banned
Finally all caught up with the Monogatari series, good stuff. I have a bunch of stuff that I have "planned to watch" but I dunno which one to go for:

Code Geass
Clannad
SNAFU
Darker than Black: Kuro no Keiyakusha

Thoughts? Genre wise I'm looking for nothing in particular, just as long as it's a good show.

Finally all caught up with the Monogatari series, good stuff. I have a bunch of stuff that I have "planned to watch" but I dunno which one to go for:

Code Geass
Clannad
SNAFU

Thoughts? Genre wise I'm looking for nothing in particular, just as long as it's a good show.

Code Geass. 100% go for Code Geass.

pbayne

Code Geass
Clannad
SNAFU

All good in their own way but yeah go for Code Geass. Even with its faults its ridiculously enjoyable.

Urusei Yatsura 7

These early episodes generally have just 1 or 2 things of interest per story. In this episode, it was Ataru's mom's disdainful expression in the first story, and the random citizens going haywire due to voodoo dolls in the second. Overall it hasn't yet broken out of the rather dull love triangle stuff between Ataru, Lum, and Shinobu yet. Next episode looks promising though.

Haruchika - Haruta & Chika Episode 7 A Frequency of 77.4 MHz

Its so hard to pick a best episode when every episode is as definitive as the one before it. I loved the resolution here Kaiyu is so good.

and we got the drummer boy, I hope he joins next episode

Poor Chika
Cbb60uHW0AAhcGc.png

Urusei Yatsura 7

These early episodes generally have just 1 or 2 things of interest per story. In this episode, it was Ataru's mom's disdainful expression in the first story, and the random citizens going haywire due to voodoo dolls in the second. Overall it hasn't yet broken out of the rather dull love triangle stuff between Ataru, Lum, and Shinobu yet. Next episode looks promising though.

Think my interest just kinda petered out over the first 20 or so episodes.

T-Rex.

Banned
Code Geass. 100% go for Code Geass.

All good in their own way but yeah go for Code Geass. Even with its faults its ridiculously enjoyable.
Code Geass it is!

The Darker Than Black OVAs are more of a bridge between seasons than a standalone thing, but they're still entertaining and are worth a watch.
It does look pretty good, I'll check it out after Code Geass. Thanks guys.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Phantom World has some really great frames of Haruhiko's hands.

All the ridges and muscles and wrinkles are in all the right places. This is the next step after UPPER BODY, UPPER EXTREMITY.

Grimgar 3

The opening scene was really pleasant, a subdued portrayal of early morning cooking with tenderly portrayed character interactions. The scene immediately after the OP was really unpleasant, with the guys humbly apologizing to the girls for bath peeping, except for Ranta who aggressively behaves like a jerk, sharply denying that he has done anything wrong. This confirms my opinion that Ranta needs to go.

Think my interest just kinda petered out over the first 20 or so episodes.

That's a shame, because there are some really great episodes down the pipeline when Oshii takes more creative liberties.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Phantom World 7

Good episode. Still overwrought and pedantic as usual but it had some nice sequences and the story was almost touching.

Cornbread78

Despite how some people may wish to characterize it, anime isn't just a choice between LN trash and shounen trash.

Well yeah, that's obvious; look at the wide variety of stuff out this season. I've watched such a wide variety of stuff over the past year that I can't pinpoint 1 genre I really appreciate over another. I just know I really don't like the loli stuff, I've never been a big fan of super-hero stuff, and I don't really like the straight episodic approach some anime's use outside of a straight comedy show. I appreciate an interesting story to follow (even if it is trash) and good character/relationship development though.

All this SNAFU talk is also making me remember how Crunchyroll botched the subs. Maybe not botch but their translations were a lot more confusing than it needed it to be.
I was always on Team Yui but I couldnt help going to Team Iroha during S2. I always pick the ones with the least chances, sigh.
Though when
Yui and Hachiman went to the gift shop in the amusement park and when they were picking out Yukinos birthday present
, I relapsed. Temporarily but man Yui was so great there.

The whole "Genuine" thing is the most glaring, but I understood what was meant and it didn't ruin the moment for me.

Why undo the correct choice though?

Bah... The show was great.

I dropped SNAFU S1 after the outdoor camping with kids episode. I can't remember why, the previous stuff was pretty good or at least okay. Maybe I should give it another shot.

Yes, yes you should. The second season is really, really good.

phaze

Episodes 6-8 are the worst part of Tatami Galaxy when it comes to repetition though. It doesn't bother me too much, but the repetitious time loop structure is definitely the one major weakness of the show.

It's not nearly as bad as Endless Eight though.

From what I remember, the "trilogy" serves as a bit of fresh air causeafter the formula grows slightly tepid in 4&5. Each love interest was unique in its own way and I thought they were more varied then then episodes 1-5. 6th episode alone is one of the best episodes in Tatami.

Code Geass
Clannad
SNAFU

Of those I've seen SNAFU and DtB and neither of should be high on you list of priorities.

Cornbread78

Konosuba ep.6
4VuJfy7.gif

So good! That damn Dullahan
went bye-bye for good
. Such a team effort
in the victory.
So many funny moments in this one, from the darkness' crazy behavior asking for the beating, to Megumi's face lighting up when Kazuma told her she could fire her explosive magic close to town at the minions and the Dullahan, then she was
floating in Aqua's flood spell water at
the end because she collapsed, of course, lol. Bravo, hilariously good stuff.

Shinsekai Yori (The Rewatch)

Yup, I'm rewatching what I consider the best of which came out of the entire medium that is anime thus far. Now what I've seen/heard of people who didn't like this show was that the characters were bland and not that engaging to keep the viewer in. Yeah, I'll secede that point, while I do enjoy good characters I do recognize my enjoyment is most when focused on world-building (hi Lord of the Rings) and/or good stories.

So I'm 2 episodes in and I have to ask, are the characters really that bland?
Right off the bat you are exposed to the main cast in children-form and the dynamic that Saki and Satoru have is enjoyable to watch. Even Shun and Maria have there own charisma and the only weak characters I can point out is Mamoru (for obvious reasons) and Reiku (even for more obvious reasons).

ibyea

Banned

Yup, I'm rewatching what I consider the best of which came out of the entire medium that is anime thus far. Now what I've seen/heard of people who didn't like this show was that the characters were bland and not that engaging to keep the viewer in. Yeah, I'll secede that point, while I do enjoy good characters I do recognize my enjoyment is most when focused on world-building (hi Lord of the Rings) and/or good stories.

Right off the bat you are exposed to the main cast in children-form and the dynamic that Saki and Satoru have is enjoyable to watch. Even Shun and Maria have there own charisma and the only weak characters I can point out is Mamoru (for obvious reasons) and Reiku (even for more obvious reasons).

I never thought the characters were bland. I don't get that criticism.

Episode 10 always breaks my heart.
Subaru ;_;

Gotta do a rewatch this year myself. After Chihayafuru rewatch I guess.

pbayne

I never thought the characters were bland. I don't get that criticism.

Design wise they are a little bland but I think they're decent characters. But I never considered the kids the "main" characters, it was more about squealer and the setting/story.

Phantom World 7

HbeQFUZ.jpg

It's kinda like Ghost Stories at this point to be honest

They're going to use the entire mansion just for tea parties? What is this, K-on?

Shame Haruhiko didn't transform as much as the others, maybe that's his punishment for trying to give a cat radiation poisoning

Gintama 310

brehs i dont even know how Gintama is so good. It's a comedy series and the serious arcs shit on every other shonen thats not HxH.

Opinions on Kaiji / Akagi?

Both are excellent, but in their own ways.

Kaiji is about a down on his luck gambling addict playing through all sorts of games and situations, so there is a lot more variety in Kaiji. The rules are also very simple, unlike Akagi where both players are masters at Mahjong.

Akagi is about a genius psychopath and exclusively about Japanese Riichi Mahjong. I'd recommend at least looking up a simple tutorial on Riichi Mahjong or you will likely not understand it. Fair warning, the anime ends right in the middle of a match, because that match is still going in the manga. The Akagi anime was is 2005-2006.

So Kaiji has more variety but I find Akagi to be the more interesting character. I like Kaiji more, though.

JulianImp

Opinions on Kaiji / Akagi?

Do you mean Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor? If so, it was decent as a show that explored games theory and how to make a game's rules and human psychology work in somebody's favor, but it felt boring to me because of how long the show clung onto a single game rather than showing little tidbits of several ones, and the whole premise of Kaiji barely pulling through only to realize his debt still stands by the end and then have to do the same thing all over again wasn't my cup of tea, so I dropped the show after episode 11 (which is when he gets called for a second round of mafia games).

I was pointed towards the show after I said I really enjoyed the D'Arby fight in JoJo S3, but spending ten episodes in that card rock-paper-scissors scenario where Kaiji would constantly get betrayed and one-upped until the very last second wasn't something I found that enjoyable in the end.

brawly

Both are excellent, but in their own ways.

Kaiji is about a down on his luck gambling addict playing through all sorts of games and situations, so there is a lot more variety in Kaiji. The rules are also very simple, unlike Akagi where both players are masters at Mahjong.

Akagi is about a genius psychopath and exclusively about Japanese Riichi Mahjong. I'd recommend at least looking up a simple tutorial on Riichi Mahjong or you will likely not understand it. Fair warning, the anime ends right in the middle of a match, because that match is still going in the manga. The Akagi anime was is 2005-2006.

So Kaiji has more variety but I find Akagi to be the more interesting character. I like Kaiji more, though.

Thanks for the write-up.

Do you mean Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor? If so, it was decent as a show that explored games theory and how to make a game's rules and human psychology work in somebody's favor, but it felt boring to me because of how long the show clung onto a single game rather than showing little tidbits of several ones, and the whole premise of Kaiji barely pulling through only to realize his debt still stands by the end and then have to do the same thing all over again wasn't my cup of tea, so I dropped the show after episode 11 (which is when he gets called for a second round of mafia games).

There's only "Kaiji" on crunchyroll, it's both seasons together I think.

I'll check both out then, Kaiji first.

JulianImp

There's only "Kaiji" on crunchyroll, it's both seasons together I think.

Yeah, but I was asking in case there was another show with Kaiji in its title.

I guess I should get back to it sometime, if only to see all the crazy ways the characters can come up with to game the system and their opponents. I think it also has the JoJo narrator in it, which meant I never got annoyed by him explaining people's plays and all that because of how awesome his narration is.

Now, I rewatched it 3-4 months ago or so and was thinking about that and paying attention to it myself. The characterization is actually perfectly fine and works in favor of the show (without feeling to be merely 'plot-driven').

My one major complaint that remained about SSY are the somethings extremely low production values.

sorry for double!

Yeah, but I was asking in case there was another show with Kaiji in its title.

I guess I should get back to it sometime, if only to see all the crazy ways the characters can come up with to game the system and their opponents. I think it also has the JoJo narrator in it, which meant I never got annoyed by him explaining people's plays and all that because of how awesome his narration is.

Oh shit, JoJo has the same narrator? Am about to jump into that and while I do like that narrators voice I certainly hope the narration isn't nearly as dense as it is in Kaiji.

Qurupeke

Konosuba 6

DOtUgZ6.jpg

Megumin is the best.

Best action of the season. That fight was actually pretty good, I liked those Sauron's eye moments. They should have used recovery magic to defeat the dullahan though, missed chance for that joke. The reactions to the Mitsurugi guy were also hilarious. lol

I feel like this keeps getting better and better. Too bad it's 10 episodes only. :(

Oh have you already seen the show?

I've seen a couple isolated episodes back in the day, but never the whole thing.

Oh shit, JoJo has the same narrator? Am about to jump into that and while I do like that narrators voice I certainly hope the narration isn't nearly as dense as it is in Kaiji.

No. The narrator for Kaiji is Fumihiko Tachiki, best known as the voice of Gendo Ikari. Jojo as a series prefers to have narration done by in-universe characters such as Speedwagon; there is an out-of-universe narrator but he doesn't appear that often.

JulianImp

No. The narrator for Kaiji is Fumihiko Tachiki, best known as the voice of Gendo Ikari. Jojo as a series prefers to have narration done by in-universe characters such as Speedwagon; there is an out-of-universe narrator but he doesn't appear that often.

I can swear I remembered the narrator being similar or something, but a quick MAL search revealed they aren't related at all... oh well, guess I messed up.

I've seen a couple isolated episodes back in the day, but never the whole thing.

Ah yeh, getting a load of that with Hasegawa in Gintama currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom