• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

e_i

CjNhSW5.jpg
9Lwwpw7.jpg

Errr....Yep.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Love Gin's new look honestly he looked like a badass. Sad to see Yoroyoza closed for now but none of these people will be able to return to their homes after going against the country. The dream team is real with the shinshengumi teaming up with Katsura's gang of rebels. Next week looks like a the prison break will take place so I'm excited.
Now I almost wish they included Prison Break guy so he could have said "I'm an expert in Prison Breaks (tm)" like he does on that DC Legends show.

brawly

Aku no Hana 10

Anything good left in the last three episodes? Kinda feel like dropping it. Opening was pretty cool but now it's just a rinse and repeat of the same stuff.

I saw the first season and while it wasn't bad bad, I kinda bailed out.

I haven't seen any of the earlier anime, but my understanding is that they are not as well regarded as the recent ones directed by Noriyuki Abe.

By the way, this is a good excuse to post the cool Black Butler Book of Circus OP, made by the same team at Stereotype that made the Terror in Resonance OP.

Aku no Hana 10

Anything good left in the last three episodes? Kinda feel like dropping it. Opening was pretty cool but now it's just a rinse and repeat of the same stuff.

Yes, but if you don't like the show now, after its best episode, you probably won't like the remaining episodes.

Cornbread78

OK, so I just did a little research and for Spring:

Will probably watch:
  • - Asterisk S2.
  • - Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress
  • - Kiznaiver
  • - And you thought there is never a girl online?
  • - Re: Life in a different world from zero
  • - Mayoiga
  • - Hundred
  • - Wagamama High Spec

Maybe:
  • - Twin Star Exorcists
  • - Endride
  • - Flying Witch
  • - Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge

Yeah, season doesn't look very good, but oh well. A couple things look interesting at least.......

Jarmel

Banned
I'm not particularly excited about next season either. That's mostly because the number of shows I'm on the fence about is probably in the double digits.

I'm not particularly excited about next season either. That's mostly because the number of shows I'm on the fence about is probably in the double digits.

The quality of any TV show can not be fully ascertained until it finishes airing. All I ask out of an upcoming TV anime season is to have shows which look appealing and have potential, and spring 2016 has a bunch of them.

Ascheroth

As you can see from his list, Cornbread wants LN-ish harem/romance anime more than anything else, so his tastes will not line up with most other people here.

I realize this and I don't have a problem with it, but it's so... weird? (not sure it's the right word to describe what I'm feeling)... to see someone saying next season doesn't look good when I myself have at least 5 shows where I know they are going to be great unless something goes seriously wrong and at least another ~10 that look interesting.
I know, different tastes and everything, but stiiiiill.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

Yeah this is how I feel too.
and as someone who has only seen the first season of JoJo I can't even look forward to the fourth season.

------

I remember that time I was excited for Charlotte...yeah that went well :/

JulianImp

SNAFU S1
It was a nice season. I like that nice ikemen guy calls Hachiman out on forcing his role as a jerk-ass even when he could help solve issues without having to resort to that. His act of setting himself up as a scapegoat that others can push the blame onto and then pretending he doesn't care is interesting because it contradicts his maxim of not conforming to what society expects of him when he's actually kind of Kaiki-ing himself into the role of the villain, saying what other people really want to say so that things can get solved without anyone but him getting their hands dirty.

The first season hasn't progressed all that much though, mostly laying out the groundworks for exploring each character further come next season. Still, it's okay since there's a second season, but I wonder what could've happened if the show bombed and never got further adaptations, since S1's climax was relatively tame and works better as a set-up than as a big moment of character development for the cast. Still, I'm glad there weren't many developments on the romance side of things besides Hachiman and Yukino having come to understand each other more deeply than before, since I'm enjoying this show more for the character drama than for the love triangle between the MC, Yukino and Yui.

SNAFU S2 #1
I only got to watch the start of S2E1 before having to go do other stuff, and I found it kind of weird that the 13th episode was kind of ignored (not that it looked like it'd matter much in the grand scheme of things, though). Starting with the nice guy calling Hachiman out on his petty way of handling things makes it apparent that the show will be exploring the cast further than before in the previous, so all's good.

I wouldn't expect the Ace Attorney anime to use music from the games. It may, but Kaoru Wada has been announced to be the composer for the anime, so it'll likely have mostly if not entirely original music.

I don't expect them to just slap the tunes from the games and call it a day, but I do expect some remixes or variations. It just wouldn't feel right not to hear iconic tunes like Turnabout Sisters, Objection, and Steel Samurai in an Ace Attorney show.

EDIT: And Gumshoe's theme. Can't forget about him!

IIRC the live-action movie had at least some variations on those tunes, so I think it's safe to assume the anime will go further or do the same.

Clov

I haven't seen any of the earlier anime, but my understanding is that they are not as well regarded as the recent ones directed by Noriyuki Abe.

I've seen the first season, which was alright. Amusing, but nothing special. Never watched season 2, since my friends all told me it was terrible. I've heard good things about Book of Circus and Book of Murder, so I'll be giving them a watch in the future.

Very curious about whether the new movie will go to Funimation or Aniplex of America. I'm betting on Aniplex, personally.

pbayne

Blue Spring Ride 1

The premise of this is something else. I can already see myself getting annoyed a lot.

Don't remember how exactly it starts but it is a very standard teen romance show. Enjoyable but not unmissable and it has a pretty lame "go read the manga" ending. The main guy does some real questionable shit too.

Cornbread78

As you can see from his list, Cornbread wants LN-ish harem/romance anime more than anything else, so his tastes will not line up with most other people here.

Sorry, never really been a fan of super-hero and the shounen/battle anime for the most part. But I have been at least entertained by Asterix, Calvary, and some of the other LN crap out there. It's not like any of them are going to provide any good character/relationship development anyhow. At least I can get some sophomoric humor out of it, lol.

Blue Spring Ride 1
The premise of this is something else. I can already see myself getting annoyed a lot.

It's not baaad at all, but yeah, there are a few frustrating parts...

When folks are watching SNAFU and I think how long it's gonna be until we get a potential S3. My heart hurts a little every time.

STOP! STOP! STOP!
1c5hCPH.gif

I'm already in enough pain.

SNAFU S2 #1
I only got to watch the start of S2E1 before having to go do other stuff, and I found it kind of weird that the 13th episode was kind of ignored (not that it looked like it'd matter much in the grand scheme of things, though). Starting with the nice guy calling Hachiman out on his petty way of handling things makes it apparent that the show will be exploring the cast further than before in the previous, so all's good.

I really enjoyed S1, but SNAFU TOO takes it to a new level. All of these little interactions/situation from S1 really come out in S2 and there is a ton of growth with several key characters. Season 2 was just really, really far superior than S1 in so many ways... I won't say more so it doesn't spoil things, but you will see...

Oh, it's almost Konosuba time!

KonoSuba's raction face play was some high level shit again.

That and the chemistry between the characters, which are all scumbags and assholes, are what makes KonoSuba sooo good!

SNAFU S1
It was a nice season. I like that nice ikemen guy calls Hachiman out on forcing his role as a jerk-ass even when he could help solve issues without having to resort to that. His act of setting himself up as a scapegoat that others can push the blame onto and then pretending he doesn't care is interesting because it contradicts his maxim of not conforming to what society expects of him when he's actually kind of Kaiki-ing himself into the role of the villain, saying what other people really want to say so that things can get solved without anyone but him getting their hands dirty.

I thought the scene with him putting away the chairs with his teacher was an incredibly potent and subtle scene and went with Ikemen guy calling Hachiman out incredibly well. The shit she says to him just...the VA did a great job making her voice sound just hurt enough at having to watch a student she cares about do this to themself.

God this show is so fucking good.

And yeah, S2 has my absolute favorite moment of the series, vic and names are already gushing about it. Shit builds to it exceptionally well and it affected me an incredible amount.

Cornbread78

The
scene in which Hachiman cries?
Oooof. Take me back. Or even better, give us S3.

Excellent scene, as well as the one with
sensei
that was soo well written and really sets up that scene you mentioned.

I feel like almost every episode had a great memorable scene. Every scene with Iroha is the best though.
S3 whennnnnnnn

I won't post to gif since it is waay to much or a lead on into S2, but that scene with
Yokino and Hiki in the nurses office
or at the amusement park were absolutely great. She is the natural fit and I would be shocked if they gave all the love to
Yui
when we finally do get a S3 or movie....

I was on #teamYui, but I
conceded defeat to #teamYuki and long time ago

Mailbox

Am I the only one who really disliked the intra-club drama in snafu?

Especially the beginning season 2 where hachiman goes "let me handle it" and everyone, knowing how he handles things, smiles and nods and then after he does what he does (which, tbh wasn't even anything overtly bad) everyone straight up hates him.

A lot of the intra-group drama felt so damn forced to me. Everything else was great though.

Kyuur

I dropped SNAFU S1 after the outdoor camping with kids episode. I can't remember why, the previous stuff was pretty good or at least okay. Maybe I should give it another shot.

javac

Just passing by.

Studio Ghibli's Geoffrey Wexler Talks Dubbing Takahata's Undubbable 'Only Yesterday'

On "Only Yesterday" being undubbable and his guess on why Disney never released the film

For me “undubbable” meant a litany of excuses that didn’t make any sense. A different studio than GKIDS had the rights to distribute it and they never distributed it. When I joined Ghibli and I talked to them I said, “Are you guys ever going to release this?” and they said, “We can’t release it.” I said, "Can it have it back then?" and they said, ”Yes.” I think the discussion of the girls having their periods may have been a problem. A lot of people squirm about that in North America, but in other countries they don’t. It wasn’t a problem in some countries. I think also the pacing was hard for North America. Also there were some legal issues around some of the sound. The moment when she sings in Japanese for the first time I was told, “You can’t do anything about that. It’s going to have to stay that way.” I said, “It’ll stay that way and then a few minutes later they’ll talk about the song." One by one I just chipped away this façade of it being “undubbable.”

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Steins;Gate 1-3

Started off completly incomprehensible with the first episode but I guess that was meant that way and through the introduction to the characters and plot in the 2 episodes following it makes it at least a bit clearer about what happened.
Interesting main characters and it has pretty good animations and art.

Feels like it got a slow start but I'm looking forward to seeing what this develops into.
Wonder how it'll differentiate itself from most other time machine stories.

All this SNAFU talk is also making me remember how Crunchyroll botched the subs. Maybe not botch but their translations were a lot more confusing than it needed it to be.

Excellent scene, as well as the one with
sensei
that was soo well written and really sets up that scene you mentioned.

I won't post to gif since it is waay to much or a lead on into S2, but that scene with
Yokino and Hiki in the nurses office
or at the amusement park were absolutely great. She is the natural fit and I would be shocked if they gave all the love to
Yui
when we finally do get a S3 or movie....

I was on #teamYui, but I
conceded defeat to #teamYuki and long time ago

I was always on Team Yui but I couldnt help going to Team Iroha during S2. I always pick the ones with the least chances, sigh.

Though when
Yui and Hachiman went to the gift shop in the amusement park and when they were picking out Yukinos birthday present
, I relapsed. Temporarily but man Yui was so great there.

I always knew you were cool people.

PREACH IT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom