• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got Funi's Free! and more Naruto Shippuden. I love the colored Free! disc arts.
tumblr_o2ptshyF6X1qbxqfpo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o2ptshyF6X1qbxqfpo2_1280.jpg

I'll watch Code Geass properly one day, but since I'm not a big fan of stories which rely primarily on pulling out crazy twist out of crazy twist, it's not a high priority for me.

I'll watch Code Geass properly one day, but since I'm not a big fan of stories which rely primarily on pulling out crazy twist out of crazy twist, it's not a high priority for me.

The best part about Code Geass is that it actually starts off as a legitimately good mecha anime.

Unlike Cross Ange, which kept throwing craziness at the wall from start to finish, Code Geass built things up before promptly smashing everything to pieces.

And it was glorious.

JCG

The series does rely a lot on that, no doubt, but not exclusively. If you can embrace or at least accept the crazy twists as part of the story, then there are still various interesting aspects on the character and thematic level.

Even long after the show "smashes everything to pieces" it's actually still possible to tie stuff together, although mainly in retrospect.

Which is why none of the derivatives have been able to replicate Code Geass. They're just being randomly shocking or whatever.

Aki-at

Kindaichi Case Files - 1

Well now, I wasn't quite expecting that for the first episode! In what I thought was
a major character getting the chop in opening was pretty cool, I was hoping Sakuragi wasn't going to be murdered but it's left me intrigued to see where the show will go from here.
Hoping the mysteries are all explained as rationally as possible, would love to have a good light detective show to follow.

Lovely Complex - 3 to 5

Really enjoying this show so far! I thought the introduction of Seiko, who seems to dial up the cuteness factor to unbearable levels, was great after
revealing she was a transgender.
Though I am surprised how quickly time is progression in this show, only been 5 episodes and we've gone from summer holidays to April the following year.

For those who are curious, in a recent tweet, the manga author of Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu says that the current anime will cover up to volume 5 of the manga, so about the time the flashback ends and the manga goes back to the "present day" of its opening. She encourages people to buy the BD/DVDs to see the rest of the manga adapted into anime.

Just T

Myriad Colors Phantom World: 7

There were some neat designs at the mansion. That's about the only positive thing I can say about this episode.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
For those who are curious, in a recent tweet, the manga author of Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu says that the current anime will cover up to volume 5 of the manga, so about the time the flashback ends and the manga goes back to the "present day" of its opening. She encourages people to buy the BD/DVDs to see the rest of the manga adapted into anime.
I do hope the rest of it gets adapted but that's a total bullet dodged for Genroku Rakugo.

Well I hope we get everything adapted eventually. Otherwise the opening episode will be rather unfitting for the anime on its own.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is there something wrong with the source material past volume 5? Your wording here seems to be implying something beyond it being a convenient stopping point.

More like it would have the same effect as the snapback in Erased, immediately undoing the investment the audience has in the flashback and then devoting half the series to a barely remembered plotline. I think both stories lose out when you do something like this.

More like it would have the same effect as the snapback in Erased, immediately undoing the investment the audience has in the flashback and then devoting half the series to a barely remembered plotline. I think both stories lose out when you do something like this.

I think Rakugo is more like Berserk then Erased, one extremely long flashback after a short introductory arc that will lead back into itself.

Erased is an introductory arc, a medium length flashback, back to the first setting, then back again.

Cornbread78

Steins Gate ep.15
Looks like they may be making positive progress in an attempt to save Mayuri from the timelines fate by
going two days back rather then a few hours

I don't think that's the issue with Erased. The last two episodes were simply badly written and directed. Add episode 1 in some regards, as the thriller elements fell flat from the beginning.

Also at least one of the characters in Rakugo's flashback is (very likely) going to retain a major role even in the current timeline, just that we then know so much more about him.

Taruranto

People consider Erased
Kayo's arc
"flashback"? I dunno, it never felt like that way to me. It's just non-linear progression more than anything.

The best part about Code Geass is that it actually starts off as a legitimately good mecha anime.

Unlike Cross Ange, which kept throwing craziness at the wall from start to finish, Code Geass built things up before promptly smashing everything to pieces.

And it was glorious.

Yep. Code Geass devolved into nonsense, but it was great up until that point. Cross Ange was hot, insane garbage from beginning to end.

JCG

Yep. Code Geass devolved into nonsense, but it was great up until that point. Cross Ange was hot, insane garbage from beginning to end.

I'd argue Code Geass had a good ending which made plenty of sense. Not even joking.

Speaking of Code Geass, one of my friends said she couldn't get into it. I don't understand... How can you not get into the JIBUN WO!?!?

I guess because she might prefer far more sophisticated and high-brow anime? That would be a valid reason.

I'd argue Code Geass had a good ending which made plenty of sense. Not even joking.

I'd agree with you. Merely have issue with how it got there.

Of course, Code Geass isn't the only mech show to squander a great Season 1 with a nonsense Season 2.

Konosuba 6

I had legit tears in my eyes when Megumin floated by and said "Darkness, what's wrong with you?"

This is Anime of the Season if we disqualify Heavy Object for being second cour and having an unfair advantage

Aki-at

Speaking of Code Geass, one of my friends said she couldn't get into it. I don't understand... How can you not get into the JIBUN WO!?!?

Never watched a single episode but the art style put me off.

Maybe one of these days I'll watch either Code Geass or Gurren Lagann when I'm in a mecha mode.

JCG

I'd agree with you. Merely have issue with how it got there.

Of course, Code Geass isn't the only mech show to squander a great Season 1 with a nonsense Season 2.

It's the Sunrise curse!

Which is why you should all fear Gundam IBO getting a second season.

Or hopefully that will just turn out to be some baseless superstition.

Cornbread78

Konosuba-6

I love the voice acting so much in this. The effects animation is surprisingly good in the show and it's clear where the focus is for the higher level animators.

This title killed me.

Holy shit, how did miss that, lol... perfect!

Steins Gate ep.16
Wait, did part-timer
going back to the 70's
really change the future and
save Mayuri
, even though she's
dead in the current timeline?
Also, big papa Daru! Pretty cool scene actually.

Russ T

Banned
Konosuba-6

I love the voice acting so much in this. The effects animation is surprisingly good in the show and it's clear where the focus is for the higher level animators.

This title killed me.

Yo. The voice acting is a SIGNIFICANT contributor to why I like Konosuba so much. MC's voice in particular is just goddamn perfect. About to watch this episode. Excitement abounds!

Cornbread78

Phantom ep.7
Yeah, that was alright, maybe a little too much kitty moe and unneeded thigh shot/ focus of twin tail 4th grader, thankfully, it ended soon enough.

Konosuba 06

Aqua is the worst healer ever. Deserves to be bullied.

Well, she did finally learn at least one good spell with revive. Useless goddess redeemed.

JulianImp

KonoSuba #6
Praised be this show for not taking itself seriously. It still isn't anything to write home about, but it's definitely a good comedy.

Durarara #30
It's nice that the show appears to be back in full swing after a comparatively dull previous season. Things are quickly scaling out of control, which is always a good thing when it comes to this show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom