• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

Yep, pretty much. It's technically another company under the holding company Section23, which has Sentai Filmworks, Maiden Japan, Aesir Holdings (who releases some old, retained ADV licenses) and the ADV Films label (which they had to put on the Elfen Lied BD, for some reason). I think the person who runs Maiden Japan is someone who was high up in ADV, Matt Greenfield.

Section23 does all their disc authoring themselves, so Maiden Japan discs are a lot like Sentai ones. Same subtitle style, same concerns, etc. Though the Maiden Japan BDs I do own (Oshii's Patlabor OVA, Patlabor 1 and 2) are actually very good.

In any case, it's great that Denno Coil has finally been licensed over here! Fantastic little series, I'll be more than happy to rewatch it on BD.

Also, Sentai is putting out And Yet the Town Moves on BD, for those of you who are interested (I know there's quite a few fans of it here. I ought to rewatch that as well, honestly).

I just saw that And Yet the Town Moves via Sentai and Dennou Coil via Maiden Japan get listed.

Like HOLY SHIT about time. I've been waiting a long time for these and am VERY EXCITED. I'm also gonna be on Cross Ange and the Medaka Box Collection that month too. Good Birthday presents for me.

Yona of the Dawn 14

EMkmUYW.jpg

E1HOaPj.jpg

Yq1tHMH.jpg

The backgrounds in this show are still so lovely.

The Blue Dragon's story has been really good; I like how his character has been developed. I'm curious to see the situations of the remaining two dragons. At this rate, I assume the anime will end shortly after all the dragons are gathered and we reach the flashforward scene the show started with, which would be an appropriate bookend.

Jex

[Gintama 2015] - 46

Well this week's episode of Gintama is only 17 minutes long. Surprise! I can only assume this is due to production difficulties. The remainder of the episode is just filler gags.

Ascheroth

[Gintama 2015] - 46

Well this week's episode of Gintama is only 17 minutes long. Surprise! I can only assume this is due to production difficulties. The remainder of the episode is just filler gags.

I appreciate every bit of extra comedy they manage to pack into these episodes, because my heart can only take so much.

Qurupeke

Gintama 311

Good episode. The episode seemed to finish in an instant... because it did. lol If I'm not mistaken, there are more serious arcs after this one, so I hope they'll take a break after it.

Anyway, I loved the moment the OP song started. :)

Koyomimonogatari - Koyomi Tea

I loved the colours on this episode. So much red and black. Tsukihi was too cute in this episode. I want to believe that she is the one that deceived Araragi.

TimmiT

[Gintama 2015] - 46

It's one of the smaller comedy chapters from before the Shogun Assassination arc, was glad to see they're not completely skipping those.

brawly

Terra Formars 4-8
crunchyroll_20160223218snl.png
crunchyroll_2016022329cs29.png

aaaaaaaaaaahhhh

Ep 4-7 were really good, non stop action. Now it has slowed down a bit. I find the idea with the abilities fascinating. I'm always curious what'll show up next.

Jex

[Dimension W] - 7

**Unmarked Spoilers within**

Dimension W is a series that I have very mixed feelings about. I watch and it enjoy it every week but I'd never really recommend it to anyone who doesn't share my particular weakness. My weakness is for near future/sci-fi action shows - this just happens to me the kind of pulp that I love. I'll readily admit that's not a terribly good reason to watch a series but that's just how I'm wired.

The problem for me is that there aren't that many works in this genre. The most notable example of franchise in this space is of course, Ghost in the Shell, but that's a pretty old name at this point in time. Some of the more recent works in this genre space of late have been Mardock Scramble, PyschoPass and Gits Arise. I have no stomach for the rampant stupidity of the writing in Mardock and PP and Arise just feels like it's going over far too familiar ground (although I'll admit that I still haven't watched the new movie which I'm told would be right up my ally).

Dimension W potentially feels like a series that could fill a very specific hole in my heart. It features many elements that I enjoy: it can be both light-hearted and quite serious, it has great character designs, it has cool action beats, it has a potentially interesting (if somewhat familiar) setting, it even has a quasi episodic structure allowing it some room to breathe. This is one of the elements I like most about the series - how different episodes have their own tone and feel rather than the entire work being just an action thriller. However this week's episode brought to light some tensions in the writings which stops the series from coalescing into something more memorable.

For the first time, the series has finally deemed to give us Kyoma's backstory and unfortunately, the way it was handled was far from satisfying. The biggest weakness with the material was the speed at which we tore through it. This rapid pace didn't allow any of the characters within it time to develop and the audience to develop any affection for them.

This stands out most in the development of Miyabi, a character that the audience already knows is doomed to an ill-fate. When will writers of anime, and manga for that matter, learn to understand that you can't successfully develop a character and bond them to the audience in two minutes flat. That just isn't enough time for us to care when they inevitably die. What kind of character does Miyabi have? She's apparently a clutz and she likes Kyoma - that's literally all her character consists of - a true cipher, motivation for our hero to do a thing and go to a place. Just as bad is Kyoma's reaction to her fate, all we have time for is some brief howling and nashing from him before we have to jump into the 'main' story.

If you're key backstory is going to be so painfully thin and predictable then don't dedicate this much time to it - perhaps just hint at it in more subtle ways, such as how Cowboy Bebop gives you these brief flashes into Spike's past. It would honestly have been more effective to just give us dialouge-free scenes and let the audience work out what was going on - use the power of the visual medium and all that.

The larger point that I'm trying to get at is that if you're going to include serious, weighty material in your story than give it the respect it deserves in terms of time and energy. The flashback in episode 7 just felt perfunctory, an exercise in conveying the key story beats without making any real effort to develop into something more meaningful.

I personally prefer Dimension W as an episodic series that flits between different interesting stories and tones, so I therefore hope we don't spend too much time in 'serious mode', especially when I feel like the serious aspects of the story aren't being handled nearly as well as the rest.

Ascheroth

[Dimension W] - 7

**Unmarked Spoilers within**

For the first time, the series has finally deemed to give us Kyoma's backstory and unfortunately, the way it was handled was far from satisfying. The biggest weakness with the material was the speed at which we tore through it. This rapid pace didn't allow any of the characters within it time to develop and the audience to develop any affection for them.

Yep, I felt the same way. While I thougt it was tragic, it didn't really have the proper impact it deserved.

After Kyouma awoke in the hospital after their mission went wrong and learned what happened to Miyabi, I was like 'Wait, that's it?'.
I mean I felt sad for Kyouma, because the show managed to convey how important she was to him, but I didn't feel sad for Miyabi, because ultimately I don't really care about her.

You're saying it, her entire character is literally 'Kyoumas tragic backstory'.

JulianImp

Shin Sekai Yori #1
The second show I'm watching due to AnimeGAF's old AOTY lists, it looks good and has a premise that might be interesting if handled correctly. The first scene really threw me off since it made me think I had just walked into Akira, but soon enough things changed to a different time and place.

It's also nice to see the show didn't just do an infodump on the girl who appears to be the protagonist (or at least our main POV character). I especially like it when you can learn about a character based on actions that don't appear to be staged as mere exposition devices. It's still way too early to say much else about the show though, so I guess I'll have to wait and see what else's in store.

Jarmel

Banned
[Dimension W] - 7

This stands out most in the development of Miyabi, a character that the audience already knows is doomed to an ill-fate. When will writers of anime, and manga for that matter, learn to understand that you can't successfully develop a character and bond them to the audience in two minutes flat. That just isn't enough time for us to care when they inevitably die. What kind of character does Miyabi have? She's apparently a clutz and she likes Kyoma - that's literally all her character consists of - a true cipher, motivation for our hero to do a thing and go to a place. Just as bad is Kyoma's reaction to her fate, all we have time for is some brief howling and nashing from him before we have to jump into the 'main' story.

If you're key backstory is going to be so painfully thin and predictable then don't dedicate this much time to it - perhaps just hint at it in more subtle ways, such as how Cowboy Bebop gives you these brief flashes into Spike's past. It would honestly have been more effective to just give us dialouge-free scenes and let the audience work out what was going on - use the power of the visual medium and all that.

The larger point that I'm trying to get at is that if you're going to include serious, weighty material in your story than give it the respect it deserves in terms of time and energy. The flashback in episode 7 just felt perfunctory, an exercise in conveying the key story beats without making any real effort to develop into something more meaningful.

I think with Miyabi it was fine with how she was handled. That's mostly because the audience isn't really supposed to bond with her and it's more about Kyoma's attachment to her. Her death in of itself wasn't supposed to evoke an emotional response from the audience but rather Kyoma's feeling of loss and anger, which we have seen from the getgo. I'm also guessing that we're not done with Miyabi as she'll probably have some ties with Mira.

They really didn't dedicate much time to his backstory at all, it was half an episode when they could have easily fleshed it into a full episode. I think the show did have to address Kyoma's background to some degree as he was going to Easter Island just like Cowboy Bebop delved into Spike's background whenever Julia or Vincent got involved. The flashback was mostly for context in that the audience knows shit went south on Easter Island and that it was the turning point for Kyoma's life.

I also thought seeing Kyoma being friendly with the other Grendels was in stark contrast to how he is now. Kyoma's personality did a large shift after Easter Island and that was a short tidbit that conveyed that pretty well. His reaction to Albert leaving was also a good bit of visual storytelling in that you can see he felt betrayed by Albert bailing on him.

Cornbread78

Shin Sekai Yori #1
The second show I'm watching due to AnimeGAF's old AOTY lists, it looks good and has a premise that might be interesting if handled correctly. The first scene really threw me off since it made me think I had just walked into Akira, but soon enough things changed to a different time and place.

It's also nice to see the show didn't just do an infodump on the girl who appears to be the protagonist (or at least our main POV character). I especially like it when you can learn about a character based on actions that don't appear to be staged as mere exposition devices. It's still way too early to say much else about the show though, so I guess I'll have to wait and see what else's in store.

Have fun with this one. This was one of the first anime series I ever watched after SAO and TTGL because of AnimeGAF's recs. I don't remember if it was before or after Madoka/School Days, I'd have to go check the Fall/Winter 2014 threads.

Ascheroth

I really should finish Shinsekai Yori some time.
I loved what I saw, but like it always is with me and anime, something different came in between and I never got back to it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Dimension W is a series that I have very mixed feelings about. I watch and it enjoy it every week but I'd never really recommend it to anyone who doesn't share my particular weakness. My weakness is for near future/sci-fi action shows - this just happens to me the kind of pulp that I love. I'll readily admit that's not a terribly good reason to watch a series but that's just how I'm wired.

The problem for me is that there aren't that many works in this genre.
Why not go straight to the source and watch Shirow's Pandora in the Crimson Shell: Ghost Urn and stop pretending Dimension W is a sci-fi show or even an action show?

Jex

[...]
I also thought seeing Kyoma being friendly with the other Grendels was in stark contrast to how he is now. Kyoma's personality did a large shift after Easter Island and that was a short tidbit that conveyed that pretty well. His reaction to Albert leaving was also a good bit of visual storytelling in that you can see he felt betrayed by Albert bailing on him.

Indeed, of all that I disliked about the episode that aspect was certainly handled well enough.

They really didn't dedicate much time to his backstory at all, it was half an episode when they could have easily fleshed it into a full episode. I think the show did have to address Kyoma's background to some degree as he was going to Easter Island just like Cowboy Bebop delved into Spike's background whenever Julia or Vincent got involved. The flashback was mostly for context in that the audience knows shit went south on Easter Island and that it was the turning point for Kyoma's life.
This is what I was thinking towards the end of the episode. We got the flashback because we the audience didn't know anything about Kyo's past whereas the current arc seems to involve big people who presumably know about him and his past and what he was known for. Seemed like a good time to get the audience up to speed as well.

that little drama scene in konosuba had more emotional impact than anything in grimgar.

---
All GuP BDs are in the Amazon Top 100.

The series doesn't have legs but that are top tier winter tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom