• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked Karen more at first, but the fact she's Kanbaru 2.0 now doesn't really help her case. Also I hate short hair on her, even though the scene where she cut her hair was mostly hilarious. Tsukihi is far more interesting but it's a shame she hasn't done much, other than helping in the creation of crazy snake gods, of course.

Yeah Karen is basically a worst version of Kanbaru, and more annoying too (oh and creepy because let's not forget she is Araragi's sister). I wish we got more of Tsukihi too. Her personality is just all over the place. This last episode, her with the pen was hilarious.

Cornbread78

You did locker room hijinks, right?

You read my mind, Kiritobread! ROFL

I can feel it comin in the air tonight....

tumblr_ndby745ISW1r4vymlo1_500.gif

Hold on....

All in Slo motion to match the song..

pbayne

Also no Love Stage dub is terrible. Dont they know there is a market for dubbed BL?!

Yeah dissapointed by that too but the sub voices are pretty much perfect so at least it's getting a release at all.

Anyways

Stride 8

Most visually striking episode so far. Loved the moments of de-saturation and Yagami falling into darkness such a contrast to how vivid the show usually looks. Didn't expect them to get beat so comprehensively, like they were absolutely annihilated. Sakurai finally getting some attention too nice.

Osomatsu 20

That Karamatsu fashion my god.

javac

Dennou Coil, cool. Haven't watched anime as of late (intentional) but Dennou Coil seems to be a good one and I don't mind noising around in the world of japanimation every once in a blue moon if something demands my attention.

Serial Experiments Lain 1

I...uhhh...what.

That was interesting, and also pretty weird.

My gut tells me Lain has some kind of mental issue and is experiencing things that aren't really there, but I won't write off there being something more going on. Given the computer OS shown, there's definitely some futuristic, sci-fi stuff at play.

Also, that opening song is so, so damn good.

duckroll

Snow White the Kidnapped - Episode 14-19

Finally caught up with this over the last week plus. It's really good. I like it way more than the first season, mainly because everything that even happens in this season is a direct consequence and follow up on events from the first season. Continuity and development is a good thing.

The entire first half of the season being an ongoing arc also flows better and allows better character development. Raj is without a doubt the hero of the entire season. His progress is proof that Shirayuki can work miracles. His siblings are pretty cute in terms of comic relief too.

There are a lot of things in the show I wish were better - there could be more flair to the animation, the action could be more exciting (if only the attack on the pirates was as good as Sword of the Stranger!), maybe there could be less kidnapping, and less pointless reverse hareming considering the main characters already made their choice... but overall I still enjoy the show a lot because it's just fun and pleasant to watch. Basically shoujo comfort food.

Majin Bone 14

Yutaka Nakashima's episodes of Majin Bone consistently have more visual energy and creativity than most of the other episode directors give. The storyboards have more interesting quirks and the characters are more expressive. (The latter particularly helps in Leonard's case, where Nakashima's direction helps play up his mad scientist eccentricity.)

Perhaps my favorite visual moment in this episode was how the Luke's childhood flashback tease towards the beginning was bookended by the Melbourne lab director looking into a cup of tea and Antonio looking at a cup of coffee:

That was two slick transitions which smoothly moved between three scenes in different locations and times while giving them a stylistic unity. Seeing the past reflected in liquid is a traditional visual trick I appreciate. It, as well as the filter given the flashback tease, creates the sensation of an oracle seeing a fragmentary vision, which later gets elaborated when Leonard tells the Bone fighters Luke's full backstory.

I also appreciated the gradual tease/reveal Nakashima did in the cafe scene. First we see hands holding a newspaper prominently featured the foreground of a shot:

As Shougo's sister serves a parfait in the background. This raises our curiosity as to who this mysterious figure could be. Then, as the characters talk, we get a full shot of the newspaper which lowers a little to show us the character's hair:

The hair, as well as the "Science Times", clues in the attentive listener that this is Leonard who is lurking in the corner. So when upon hearing what he wants to hear he fully reveals himself to the others:

We have been fully prepared for his appearance. It's a neat way of visually conveying information that the rest of the characters do not know.

The CG fight also seemed even better than usual, and they're always pretty good. The last scene had a nice sunset atmosphere with good coloring:

Which helped set a somber mood as the team deals with the aftermath of the attack at the shrine and worry over Luke walking away alone.

Story-wise, I appreciated how this episode exposed the cracks in Luke's armor. As the leader, he's always come across as a calm force of reason holding everything together, but now we see the strain he's been undergoing having fought for so long. I'm curious to see how his story develops. I also enjoyed the two brashly comedic villains who came into focus this episode; their posturing antics were quite entertaining. At the beginning of this series the villains were faceless, speechless enigmas, but gradually more and more light has been shed on them and now we're really starting to get a sense of how they work and the different factions among them. I appreciate the careful attention to character depth the show has shown.

Snow White the Kidnapped - Episode 14-19

Finally caught up with this over the last week plus. It's really good. I like it way more than the first season, mainly because everything that even happens in this season is a direct consequence and follow up on events from the first season. Continuity and development is a good thing.

The entire first half of the season being an ongoing arc also flows better and allows better character development. Raj is without a doubt the hero of the entire season. His progress is proof that Shirayuki can work miracles. His siblings are pretty cute in terms of comic relief too.

There are a lot of things in the show I wish were better - there could be more flair to the animation, the action could be more exciting (if only the attack on the pirates was as good as Sword of the Stranger!), maybe there could be less kidnapping, and less pointless reverse hareming considering the main characters already made their choice... but overall I still enjoy the show a lot because it's just fun and pleasant to watch. Basically shoujo comfort food.

Yeah... I have to say I find Snow White to be curiously flat in its direction despite Ando directing. It's a reasonably polished production but the execution rarely rises above competent.

duckroll

Yeah... I have to say I find Snow White to be curiously flat in its direction despite Ando directing. It's a reasonably polished production but the execution rarely rises above competent.

Well aside from co-storyboarding episode 13, Ando has been completely absent in the second season, and yet I don't really feel that it was a loss compared to the first season because it still feels the same. Is that a testament to the series staff's consistency or is it a critique on Ando setting a low standard? You decide!

Meanwhile I'm sure Ando is working really hard on making UNDER THE DOG the best action OVA which duckroll's money can buy!

:(

Please?

Osomatsu-san volume 1 has now sold over 100,000 units. That's almost quadruple the number 2, Owarimonogatari at 27,000. That's fucking nuts. This puts it at least in the top 5 now, I think.

Full list

100,070 Osomatsu-san
27,399 Owarimonogatari
19,844 Haikyu!! Second Season
16,199 Is the Order a Rabbit??
12,240 One Punch Man
12,035 Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
10,689 High School Star Musical ~Starmyu~

where were you when the fujos won

Osomatsu-san volume 1 has now sold over 100,000 units. That's almost quadruple the number 2, Owarimonogatari at 27,000. That's fucking nuts. This puts it at least in the top 5 now, I think.

Full list

where were you when the fujos won

Wow, those sales are absolutely unreal. When was the last time a show sold that well?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Wow @ Osomatsu.

I was wondering if shows like Osomatsu would ever parody the shows they're running alongside of.

Mr. Osomatsu Episode 20 – Tell Us, Hatabou / School Matsu / Iyami's School

duckroll

Looking up Madoka's sales figures, it seems that Volume 1 hit 80,000. Still very high numbers, but this tops that out by 20,000 (or a typical best selling show of the season amount).

SEED Destiny Vol13 sold 95.5k on DVD back in 2006. SEED Vol 13 sold 86k back in 2004. SEED Destiny Vol1 sold 80.6k.

Osomatsu-san isn't based on an ongoing manga right, just a revival of an older one?

Gonna assume that the 2 cour extension *probably* won't be the last we see of Osomatsu. I don't think anyone expected this. Hosanna was worried that no one would even know about the show before it aired...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom