• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Freezing ep.1
So, my buddy at my other job has been after me for a year to watch this show, so I fired it up tonight even though I've heard it's pretty bad. However, my goodness, what has he done to me? Blood, guts, limbs flying off, panties, more panties, boobs, fighting chicks.... pure maddness. Is the whole series like this?

duckroll

With the luck Del Toro has, it's probably best he never actually announced any partnerships for the Pacific Rim anime, or those companies would go out of business after the project gets canned. :p

Freezing ep.1
So, my buddy at my other job has been after me for a year to watch this show, so I fired it up tonight even though I've heard it's pretty bad. However, my goodness, what has he done to me? Blood, guts, limbs flying off, panties, more panties, boobs, fighting chicks.... pure maddness. Is the whole series like this?
Yes. I watched both seasons, and it's definitely that for the most part. Have fun!

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I finally watched Tatami Galaxy.

It's pretty goddamn brilliant.

Or at least, 1-9 are. The meta-narrative resolution was extremely underwhelming. "See? All your failures weren't that bad. Oh, and also, Everyone Lived Happily Ever After - except, the evil guy was, as obvious, YOU all along.
It's pretty lazy, and most importantly, tries to tell two contradicting themes - you can either do a "But the treasure was the journey" ending, where the point is appreciating all that happened, or a "But finally, after so many troubles, you're finally happy" ending. The first ending implies You Were Happy All Along, in which case there's nothing to 'fix'.
Also, tease a ship for 10 episodes and resolve it in four lines of dialogue? hhhng.
Nothing lost from the brilliance of 1-9, though. Just wish they didn't push that hard for meta-narrative when there wasn't a metanarrative worth it anyway

Cornbread78

Rosario + Vampire ep.8-10
Interesting summer trip to the human world and we meet a new girl? I'm guessing she will not be part of the harem, bit oh well, we love our witches.

Majin Bone 17

Tyrone's character story was a bit underwhelming compared to the character stories that have been going on for Shougo, Luke, and Gilbert recently. Although I assume it's not over yet, considering it was teased that one day he will be able to hear the voice of Rhino Bone (plus there's over half the show left, so I assume something more will be done with all the characters). Of course part of this is that Tyrone just doesn't have the hangups the others do; he seems the most well-adjusted out of all the Bone fighters. How Liebert's character is developing is really interesting though; I like where they're going with her.

Anyway, I have to commend the writers for the care with which they approach the character writing. There's good thought being put into all the characters, and they shift in and out of focus in a natural way, often with one character's journey directly precipitating the development of another character. Every episode always has a fight in the last half or third, a formula which could become tiresome, but every fight is carefully tied in with the character work that's being done in the rest of the episode, serving as realization or confirmation points in the characters' development. Thus the fights never feel merely obligatory and certainly not superfluous. The writing has a consistency and solidity to it that you wouldn't normally expect from a kids' show based on a mobile card game. It makes for compelling viewing.

Jarmel

Banned
Phantom World-8
RMDxUp2.jpg

RMDxUp2.jpg

RMDxUp2.jpg

And so Haruhiko went off to be raped by a monkey.

Fantastic Children 6

So here come the ancient robots. That bit actually reminded me vaguely of the opening of Bubuki Buranki (and the whole island bit reminded me of Assassin's Creed IV), only this of course has much better writing than either of those.

sonicmj1

Mushishi 8-12

This run has been fantastic. I've been meaning to write about it for a while now, and haven't gotten around to it. All of these episodes are remarkable in their own way.

When I think about the show now, I'm reminded again of Kino's Journey. I watched that show after I watched the first half of Zoku Sho, and it's hard not to draw parallels. Kino and Ginko are both solitary travelers going from place to place with no real destination in mind, staying for a short while, interacting with strange problems, and then heading onwards. The Mushishi episodes I watched made me feel that Kino's story ties to her personal growth, and our understanding of the character, more tightly than Mushishi's stories related to Ginko. I see now that this wasn't true in the first season. Some of these episodes have intensely personal stakes for the protagonist, and teach us a lot about where he came from and where he's going.

But more importantly, even though Kino's Journey is more explicitly about human behavior (in all its fable-esque extremes) than Mushishi's focus on the overwhelming power of nature, and natural cycles of life and death, they share a common message. There is beauty in the world, even in its ugliness. We see time and again in Mushishi characters fighting against the tide of natural consequence that seems senseless and cruel, only eventually to lead us to some kind of beauty and awe that such things exist in the same plane that we do.

11 and 12 left me particularly awestruck, but they're not exactly outliers. The show's attention to detail goes even deeper than the sound design and animation direction I've mentioned before. It has a great grasp of color. Each episode has its own moods and motifs demonstrated in the landscape, the sky, and everything all around. 12's high contrast black and white are particularly noticeable, but you see it everywhere.

I'm not really sure how to discuss individual episodes of this show. The whole package is so strong that even breaking it into pieces doesn't do the sum justice.

I wasn't aware Nakazawa was in the directing business. Hope this is good and does well! Could definitely see some good things come out of this.

He's done a few things: the anime segment of Kill Bill, the Moondrive short in Genius Party, the Vassalord OVA, the Comedy Skit 1989 short in Japan Animator Expo, the Studio 4C Kid Icarus Uprising short, etc. But as duckroll says:

He kinda sucks at it.

sonicmj1

Hai to Gensou no Grimgar 7

Alright episode. The insert song was not used as badly as most of the insert songs so far. I'm glad to hear it's the last one.

On something of a tangent, I hate how Yume talks. Whenever she speaks more than two sentences in a row, the way she ends every one of them with "na" (and drifts into third person on occasion) makes her sound like she's eight years old or something. That's probably the point, but it gives me a headache.

duckroll

He's done a few things: the anime segment of Kill Bill, the Moondrive short in Genius Party, the Vassalord OVA, the Comedy Skit 1989 short in Japan Animator Expo, the Studio 4C Kid Icarus Uprising short, etc. But as duckroll says:

You forgot the Asura's Wrath DLC! It was so bland, especially compared to Ohira's. Lol.

Phantom World 08

Highlight of the show was seeing different students using their powers to try to take down the Phantom, all in beautiful KyoAni fashion. Shame that the rest of the episode was fan service trash.

Cornbread78

Rosario + Vampire ep.11-END S1
I guess they did have toit sone real drama there at the end, but it was all worthwhile and I was wrong about not having another harem member; she's back and kicks a lil' ass. The shows pretty fun, but the comedy isn't as good as Baka to Test and romance in a harem? No way... Looking forward to see if any crazy hijinks get going in S2.

Chindogg

Rosario + Vampire Season 1

Cornbread was talking about this and harem anime's my guilty pleasure so I ate this up.

The romance is adorable and sadly reading ahead I'm gonna be slightly depressed if I keep watching but still really enjoy it so far.

Cornbread78

Rosario + Vampire Season 1

Cornbread was talking about this and harem anime's my guilty pleasure so I ate this up.

The romance is adorable and sadly reading ahead I'm gonna be slightly depressed if I keep watching but still really enjoy it so far.

The setting and characters are unique, but the tropes are there. Lol. S1 was pretty fun, do off to S2 now.

KonoSuba 07

A show that makes me crack up laughing like this actually got me all emotional for a second there
and then the laughs came back
. This show is so good lol

Fantastic Children 7

The voice actor for Radcliffe did a great job showing his progressive mental deterioration as he probed deeper and deeper into the mysteries surrounding the Children of Belfort. Then the subsequent segment following Hasmodye/Andrew had powerfully creepy atmosphere with a touch of surreality. Exactly the sort of thing I like to see in my anime.

I do have a question: Where exactly is the Southeastern Archipelago that is the main setting for the series supposed to be in the world? Obviously it's a fictional location, but it's still supposed to correspond to some rough location on Earth, right? It's singled out in this episode as not being in Europe, and the island Thoma lives on seems pretty remote and tropical, but the majority of the country seems to be European in culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom