• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbayne

Gintama 311

Marked out for the insert song and Hijikata and Gin standing side-by-side.

The action had a slight off model style that looked really cool and dynamic. Shame there wasn't more of it but hopefully they're saving the big action for next week.

Qurupeke

Konosuba 7

qaYTAHE.png

Dead.
Great episode again.

The more I watch of JoJo the clearer it gets that this series has damn shallow characters and there's close to nothing of thematic significance. Even if I'd say I'm in for the spectacle battles with some unique and stylish art direction, this is a major detriment. Besides I've got to say that the battles in JoJo feel incredibly formulaic and pretty devoid of logic. In the first two arcs it was mostly the combatants taking turns out'smarting' each other whereas now in Stardust Crusaders you get a new stand, the protagonists feel entirely helpless and get destroyed until the very end where they'll turn it around somehow after all. It's btw incredible frustrating to have 4-5 Stand users remain completely inactive in troubling situations, not using their Stands just because.

Cornbread78

Konosuba ep.7:
f2TE7H4.jpg
n7dH7lp.jpg

6kyD8ae.jpg

OK, this episode had me in stiches again... Good stuff there. However, I was shocked there was a tonal change in the middle there, if just for a second, then bam, right back into misery, so much fun! Darkness is great. And only 8 Winter sprites killed for Megumin? Something is wrong there, lol.

Not fair,
Clannad!
PvQjivN.jpg

YUwmrNc.gif

IdIYIB9.gif

Ascheroth

Gintama - 311

I love how easily Gintama can be switch back and forth between comedy and seriousness.
I also started screaming like a fangirl internally once the OP was used as an insert song for the action.
And the last third of the episode was hilarious. I wouldn't mind them doing this now and then, having a shorter 'main' episode with a short comedy chapter they skipped at the end.

Konosuba - 07

Why is this show so good at what it is doing? < 3

Qurupeke

The more I watch of JoJo the clearer it gets that this series has damn shallow characters and there's close to nothing of thematic significance. Even if I'd say I'm in for the spectacle battles with some unique and stylish art direction, this is a major detriment. Additionally I've got to say that the battles in JoJo feel incredibly formulaic and pretty devoid of logic. In the first two arcs it was mostly the combatants taking turns out'smarting' each other whereas now in Stardust Crusaders you get a new stand, the protagonists feel entirely helpless and get destroyed until the very end where they'll turn it around somehow after all. It's btw incredible frustrating to have 4-5 Stand users remain completely inactive in troubling situations, not using their Stands just because.

I can't say I didn't like SC but I think it was a major step down from the previous seasons. The one thing I disliked the most is the fact that it initially seemed to have battles using all of the characters, but Jotaro was the one that only mattered... I agree with everything you said. But, it seems that this is mostly because it was still early in the series. As powers change in the series,I feel characters have changed a lot too in Araki's later Jojos. They actually have depth and are a lot more complex. And battles become more interesting. As far as I've seen, it's still mostly about figuring the enemy's gimmicks and then a way to counter them, but the stands are a lot more interesting, with completely weird powers.

On which episode are you? I should mention that the whole Part 3 is pretty much the same, all the way to the end, but the battles are pretty inconsistent and stands become a bit more exciting as you progress. There are arcs that are terribly boring and others that I loved. Iirc, I didn't like most of the starting battles, so if you're still early, maybe you'll enjoy the rest. The only noteworthy aspect of Jojo 3 is the battles anyway.

The more I watch of JoJo the clearer it gets that this series has damn shallow characters and there's close to nothing of thematic significance. Even if I'd say I'm in for the spectacle battles with some unique and stylish art direction, this is a major detriment. Besides I've got to say that the battles in JoJo feel incredibly formulaic and pretty devoid of logic. In the first two arcs it was mostly the combatants taking turns out'smarting' each other whereas now in Stardust Crusaders you get a new stand, the protagonists feel entirely helpless and get destroyed until the very end where they'll turn it around somehow after all. It's btw incredible frustrating to have 4-5 Stand users remain completely inactive in troubling situations, not using their Stands just because.

I think you're generalizing things a bit too much here.

It wouldn't be much fun if the Stand users didn't make themselves out to be extremely threatening, would they? The fun part comes from the fact that the Stands are generally weaker than the main character's stands, so they have to use cowardly tactics to back them into a corner. There is still quite a lot of characters outsmarting one another, especially in the second half of Part 3.

You expect the wrong things from the early parts, at least. Character development amps up in part 6 and part 7 is a well told story.

It's not like I went in with expectations. It's just that I appreciate good characterization universally. Besides, I was fine with the really simplistic Jonathan and Dio in the first arc. At that point the show had many fresh impression to offer for me.

But here I am in part 3 and it's gotten evident that there's nothing more to it. Polnareff was some annoying shithead. Joined the crew and remained an annoying shithead (so far acceptable). Went through some major event in ep12-13 and...still remained to be that exact annoying shithead afterwards. It's baffling to me as to how resistant these folks are to character development.

I can't say I didn't like SC but I think it was a major step down from the previous seasons. The one thing I disliked the most is the fact that it initially seemed to have battles using all of the characters, but Jotaro was the one that only mattered... I agree with everything you said. But, it seems that this is mostly because it was still early in the series. As powers change in the series,I feel characters have changed a lot too in Araki's later Jojos. They actually have depth and are a lot more complex. And battles become more interesting. As far as I've seen, it's still mostly about figuring the enemy's gimmicks and then a way to counter them, but the stands are a lot more interesting, with completely weird powers.

On which episode are you? I should mention that the whole Part 3 is pretty much the same, all the way to the end, but the battles are pretty inconsistent and stands become a bit more exciting as you progress. There are arcs that are terribly boring and others that I loved. Iirc, I didn't like most of the starting battles, so if you're still early, maybe you'll enjoy the rest. The only noteworthy aspect of Jojo 3 is the battles anyway.

Just started episode 16.

I think you're generalizing things a bit too much here.

It wouldn't be much fun if the Stand users didn't make themselves out to be extremely threatening, would they? The fun part comes from the fact that the Stands are generally weaker than the main character's stands, so they have to use cowardly tactics to back them into a corner. There is still quite a lot of characters outsmarting one another, especially in the second half of Part 3.

All in all it still is just so damn formulaic. That btw. applies to Battle Tendency, too, though it was still more fun to follow that. Of course, all kinds of battles in shows like this are bound to follow this pattern of people outsmarting each other until someone's the triumphant victory in the end. Maybe my main issue is actually another one, something that I've often said is of utmost importance to me. Consistent world logic and limitations. Give me the craziest battle system you can come up with, be my guest, but at the same time set some clear limits and be consistent. JoJo is lacking here severely. The author is basically just making up what isn't and what is going to work along the way. The combatants may 'outsmart' each other constantly, but in almost no cases can I look back and appreciate the ingenuity of a move, instead I'm left thinking "okay, if that's how it works I guess I have to accept that".

I mean, look at Jotaro's early fight against that water stand. After giving it an immediate smack-down it actually turns out that Stand covered Jotaro's in energy zapping barnacles. JoJo's then getting toyed with and powerless to do anything, facing certain death. But, behold, JoJo was actually concentrating energy on just two fingers and that's how he manages to break through those barnacles and end the fight. Is that particularly logical? Could you anticipate that move if you payed attention and get existed/engaged? No. It's simply a thing that's possible because Jotaro's gotta live that day and there are no rules to magic! That's kinda how all the fights went so far.

phaze

Serial Experiments Lain 2

Nope. Still don't really know what's going on. Maybe Lain is on that "I see dead people" state of mind or something. I don't know.

This show also has a pretty creepy vibe going on. It's not scary or horror-like or anything, though. Just creepy.

Present day, present time !

Good pick, enjoy your trip !

Spectre
Mahouka tier.

Fantastic Children 17
1 recap episode + at least 4 flashback ones ? I asked for less Tina not more !

This story tackles some interesting issues but the writing, even for the most crucial moments. often isn't up to snuff. Now it appears everything started because a
bunch of scientist can't close the damn doors when discussing super hyper secret issues and got eavesdropped on twice in the space of 5 minutes by two separate but conveniently placed parties. Then there is the brain damaged papa who turns his daughter into some kind of nuke that is supposed to go off when she gets sad ...

So I take it the thing i was to watch out for in ED was Origa singing in russian ?

Koyomimonogatari 07

Thought it was the one decent outing of this series so far. Pretty shocking given it features loads of Tsukihi.

Squishy3

It's not like I went in with expectations. It's just that I appreciate good characterization universally. Besides, I was fine with the really simplistic Jonathan and Dio in the first arc. At that point the show had many fresh impression to offer for me.

But here I am in part 3 and it's gotten evident that there's nothing more to it. Polnareff was some annoying shithead. Joined the crew and remained an annoying shithead (so far acceptable). Went through some major event in ep12-13 and...still remained to be that exact annoying shithead afterwards. It's baffling to me as to how resistant these folks are to character development.

Just started episode 16.

All in all it still is just so damn formulaic. That btw. applies to Battle Tendency, too, though it was still more fun to follow that. Of course, all kinds of battles in shows like this are bound to follow this pattern of people outsmarting each other until someone's the triumphant victory in the end. Maybe my main issue is actually another one, something that I've often said is of utmost importance to me. Consistent world logic and limitations. Give me the craziest battle system you can come up with, be my guest, but at the same time set some clear limits and be consistent. JoJo is lacking here severely. The author is basically just making up what isn't and what is going to work along the way. The combatants may 'outsmart' each other constantly, but in almost no cases can I look back and appreciate the ingenuity of a move, instead I'm left thinking "okay, if that's how it works I guess I have to accept that".

I mean, look at Jotaro's early fight against that water stand. After giving it an immediate smack-down it actually turns out that Stand covered Jotaro's in energy zapping barnacles. JoJo's then getting toyed with and powerless to do anything, facing certain death. But, behold, JoJo was actually concentrating energy on just two fingers and that's how he manages to break through those barnacles and end the fight. Is that particularly logical? Could you anticipate that move if you payed attention and get existed/engaged? No. It's simply a thing that's possible because Jotaro's gotta live that day and there are no rules to magic! That's kinda how all the fights went so far.
At the same time, the monster of the week formula is a necessary evil because Araki needed to iterate hard and fast on the concepts of Stands and what they're allowed to do.

In the second half of the series there's significantly less focus on Jotaro fighting battles as well, so it focuses on the supporting cast more. (And what battles he does partake in aren't necessarily "I gotta punch the guy really hard with Star Platinum.") He still wins because he's the main character, but it gets slightly more nuanced than an inexplicable victory out of nowhere.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure certainly doesn't have richly nuanced characters, but it focuses on goofy high-octane action rather than focused character studies so that's not really a detriment.

Well sure, technically. The Star Finger ability makes sense in the context of Star Platinum's high precision if you remember what it can do.

The fights are fun because of the creative ways the individual Stands are used based on what they can do. It's because I couldn't anticipate a move like that where the part of the show's entertainment factor comes from.

Cornbread78

Phantom World ep.8
sX9FgE2.gif

The sensation, the determination..
raawawP.gif

And then there was trash..... This episode was something else.... I mean, straight up comedy (sort of) with tentacles and all sorts of stuff to start, I'll just leave it at that, lol.

phaze

Finally, someone putting Asspull Crusaders on the roast. :p

I

Just started episode 16.

Maybe my main issue is actually another one, something that I've often said is of utmost importance to me. Consistent world logic and limitations. Give me the craziest battle system you can come up with, be my guest, but at the same time set some clear limits and be consistent. JoJo is lacking here severely. The author is basically just making up what isn't and what is going to work along the way. The combatants may 'outsmart' each other constantly, but in almost no cases can I look back and appreciate the ingenuity of a move, instead I'm left thinking "okay, if that's how it works I guess I have to accept that".

Boy, you're going to love clash with Dio.

I agree, I often see people exclaiming Stand system as some holy grail of fighting systems and I just don't see it all. Araki doesn't have a clue what his Stands actually do and loads of fights feature breaking the previously established rules, people forgetting to actually use their Stands in situations that warrant it, people being dumb as plot demands it or just random contrivances out of nowhere.

I agree, I often see people exclaiming Stand system as some holy grail of fighting systems and I just don't see it all. Araki doesn't have a clue what his Stands actually do and loads of fights feature breaking the previously established rules, people forgetting to actually use their Stands in situations that warrant it, people being dumb as plot demands it or just random contrivances out of nowhere.

Most people are talking about Part 4 and beyond when they put Stands on the pedestal though.

I am super excited to see how insane and creative the stands get in Diamond is Unbreakable.

I saw bits and pieces of the manga and I was pretty much already in love with the little that I saw.

Jojo is best when it plays up creativity and absurdity; I don't think it would benefit much from having a strict logic that it consistently adheres to.

Part 3 is the worst one at keeping any form of consistentcy. Stands have no strict consistency later, but in Part 3 some things are just asspulls and Araki was clearly not attempting to make them consistent even in their own powerset. Its best not to think of any ironclad rules for Stands, since any that are laid down in Part 3 or seem to be apparent will just be broken later. In Part 4 and beyond, Stands are consistent in their own powerset, just not when compared to other stands.

The one ironclad rule is that "Stands get weaker the farther they get from their host" but even then some Stands have a range/effect that is so large it might as well be infinite.

Actually, the one rule is that "Stand users are drawn to other Stand users." That one is true, at least.

I don't think Stands are the be all end all shonen power, but they do allow for the most creativity, personality via designs and abilities and best fights. When it comes to being a logical system, the winner is Nen in HxH. Yes, even with Greed Island.

Phantom World ep.8

The sensation, the determination..

And then there was trash..... This episode was something else.... I mean, straight up comedy (sort of) with tentacles and all sorts of stuff to start, I'll just leave it at that, lol.

It was the most entertaining hot springs episode I've watched in a while.

Kyoani continuing to out-InouBattle InouBattle with this show. Banzai ( &#865;° &#860;&#662; &#865;°)

Squishy3

Finally, someone putting Asspull Crusaders on the roast. :p

Boy, you're going to love clash with Dio.

David pro actually adds some stuff in regards to the Stand abilities where they weren't used in the manga.

But yeah, Part 4. Just wait for Part 4. Stardust Crusaders is a proof of concept.

Ascheroth

I am super excited to see how insane and creative the stands get in Diamond is Unbreakable.

I saw bits and pieces of the manga and I was pretty much already in love with the little that I saw.

You're going to be in for a ride!

I'm so looking forward to Diamond is Unbreakable. This could be the only anime airing in spring and it would still be best season for me.

Jojo is best when it plays up creativity and absurdity; I don't think it would benefit much from having a strict logic that it consistently adheres to.

I appreciate creativity that manages to adhere to a set of limitations and logic. Or rather, working within given boundaries is what really requires creativity to begin with.

Currently in Stardust Crusders I can merely appreciate the Stands from an artwork/design standpoint and their abilities on their own. As a whole though, the Stands are a huge mess.

The Stands in Stardust Crusaders have some growing pains, but I think around the end of the Lover's fight it irons itself out and you can enjoy the wacky twilight zone shenanigans until the more serious fights in the egypt arc.

And character development, while minor, does crop up in Stardust Crusaders towards the end.

pbayne

Gad Guard 8

Glorious 2d mecha fights. Hajiki riding in on Lightning with the moon in the background was beyond cool.

Overall great world-building episode that showed another countries perspective of the Techodes, that they are monstrosities that have to be eliminated.

I guess the only thing missing from the show atm is that there is no semblance of an overall plot yet. The characters are well fleshed out by now, all their motivations and alliances are clear so hopefully they'll push on with a main plot thread. Like an episodic structure is fine but at least hint or foreshadow at some future events

brawly

Terra Formars END

It was a fun ride. No complaints here. I read some other discussion boards and a lot of people seemed to like the Adolf and Erika part the best, I liked it the least.

Shit got pretty insane towards the end. Marcos using his his ironpole to
homerun
fools was dumb as hell and yet so entertaining. Gonna watch the OVAs and can't wait to see where this goes. This was just
day one
after all, like wtf.

JoJo: Stardust Crusaders - 16

I'll use this episode as an example for how stupid some of this is. The new opponent Dan has a Stand that goes inside Joseph's brain and that causes any physical harm on Dan to be mirrored onto Joseph with much higher intensity. Oh and after 10 minutes that Stand will cause certain death to Joseph.

Now our protagonist struggle to prevent any harm from coming to Dan and removing the Stand in time. What I do like is the idea of Joseph using his Stand to project images from the inside of his head on a TV screen. I then expected Kakyoin's Hierophant Green to enter and remove the malicious Stand because episode 1 or 2 established that that Stand can go inside a body without causing harm (if it isn't torn out against its will at least). It would be in line and not too far of a stretch that he can somehow get or reach into the infiltrated part of the brain. What happens instead is that we're suddenly told that all Stands can simply change their size because they're just projections, so they just make them microscopic. Not only is that pulled out of nowhere, it would also mean that hiding a Stand at any time would've been super easy. This ability would open all kinds of possibilities during combat, too...

Furthermore, what makes our protagonists seem like a bunch of braindead morons again is that Jotaro is left to struggle with Dan, obeying his ever order, so that he doesn't harm himself and thus Joseph. How about, you know, just fricking render him completely immobilized, which all the Stands should be capable of to some degree and we've seen it happening with Hierophant Green for sure. That doesn't need to cause any physical harm and would allow them to think and work without any further interrupts from Dan.

Besides, Dan is just another in the row of evilly cackling adversaries that do this job because Dio pays them. I'm not asking for entirely unique background stories every time but come on. Besides, Dan seems to not mind the fact that the others can just kill him right on the spot if they realize there's nothing left they can do to save Joseph before the timer runs out. If money were his primary motivation I'd imagine staying alive is in his interest, too? But I suppose we can justify every half-assed adversary's motivation with "Dio's charm did it!"

duckroll

If it were up to me, I would take the words "Netflix", "anime", "BONES", and "Nakazawa", and rearrange them in a way which would sound much better. *cough*

Pro-tip: Putting the words "directed by" next to "Kazuto Nakazawa" is the wrong use of his talents. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom