• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Gintama 311

Marked out for the insert song and Hijikata and Gin standing side-by-side.

The action had a slight off model style that looked really cool and dynamic. Shame there wasn't more of it but hopefully they're saving the big action for next week.

It's true! It was one of those rare occasions where the animation was worth actually mentioning because it was stylised, as opposed to simply just been "smooth":

YEYNQPD.gif

But, of course, that's just the way these long running shounen action series, every now and then you get a scene with slightly more interesting animation.

Cornbread78

Freezing ep. 2-3
3z24w4X.gif

I still have no idea what is going on, but it appears the MC has a sister fettish and the heroine is a complete tsun tsun with a soft spot for just this one man. With that being said, I haven't cringed this much at stuff I'm watching since Cross Ange, and I think this one is actually even a step above Angelisa-sama.... This $hit is brutal....

Qurupeke

[Phantom World] - 8

If we accept the premise that all stories in anime are terrible, shallow, garbage etc and the only thing worth discussing is, therefore, animation then by sheer force of logic this is the best show of the season.

I was thinking that maybe the first episode wasn't really an example of what the show can offer. That the plot will advance and maybe get interesting. Ηow naive I am.

Cornbread78

I was thinking that maybe the first episode wasn't really an example of what the show can offer. That the plot will advance and maybe get interesting. Ηow naive I am.

Plot? Surely you jest..... I bet you thought they were going to ship the MC and Reina also....

Crocodile

So not only have Team 4Star had their channel taken down but now multiple English covers of the One Punch Man Opening have been taken down from Youtube by copyright strikes from whoever manages/owns Jam Project's music. How fucking ass backwards are you Japanese Business culture?

So not only have Team 4Star had their channel taken down but now multiple English covers of the One Punch Man Opening have been taken down from Youtube by copyright strikes from whoever manages/owns Jam Project's music. How fucking ass backwards are you Japanese Business culture?

What do you expect when even the jpn music companies like Sony prevent people in America from viewing Sony Japan Music videos on youtube.

phaze

del Toro makes doo-doo movies.

kumikoehur9.png

Fantastic Children 7

The voice actor for Radcliffe did a great job showing his progressive mental deterioration as he probed deeper and deeper into the mysteries surrounding the Children of Belfort. Then the subsequent segment following Hasmodye/Andrew had powerfully creepy atmosphere with a touch of surreality. Exactly the sort of thing I like to see in my anime.

I do have a question: Where exactly is the Southeastern Archipelago that is the main setting for the series supposed to be in the world? Obviously it's a fictional location, but it's still supposed to correspond to some rough location on Earth, right? It's singled out in this episode as not being in Europe, and the island Thoma lives on seems pretty remote and tropical, but the majority of the country seems to be European in culture.

I kinda thought it's some amalgamation of Florida and Caribbeans judging by the map they show but by now I don't think they thought about them more than "we want islands with palms and some ancient architecture."

Fantastic Children 18

Greatest
love NTR
story ever told.

Cornbread78

Freezing ep4-6
Well, isn't this some entertaining trash. These episodes haven't been nearly as cringe-worthy as before, and they are at least providing some background/character development and maybe even some harem action for Aoi, lol.

JulianImp

Oh yeah, it's about time for the next episode of Erased. Time to leave this thread and forget all about it again until I get to watch the episode!

ERASED episode 8

Some really awkwardly placed tropes and humor aside, this was a pretty decent episode.

That said, this show really needs to stop ending on a "tune in next week!" note. It's not quite as bad as it was last week, but it's still not good.

Urusei Yatsura 13

This show is way better when it's not fixated on an out-of-control male sex drive.

I don't really understand the complaint about cliffhangers. Why are they bad? Just, in general? They've never bothered me.

Cliffhangers aren't inherently bad, but when they're artificially forced into the end of an episode instead of organically arising from the rest of the narrative, they become annoying, especially when a series makes a happen of using fake-out cliffhangers or otherwise not really picking up on them (see Mawaru Penguindrum).

Ascheroth

Active Raid - 08

ij3wiaB.jpg
aznZgcq.jpg
2oA1MRE.jpg

paging DTL

The dynamic between Kuroki and Sena is so much fun.
The romantic relationship between Sena and Miho was/is also pretty interesting. And it's probably going to be important later on, too.

Something I've also thought of this episode is that Asami is fitting in with the rest of Unit 8 pretty nicely. I still remember how there was concern in the beginning that she's going to be a major source of internal conflict and drama and all that, haha.
And does everyone in Unit 8 have a Willwear after all?
Funasaka
sortying came as a major surprise.

Also Ulti-maid, lol.
And of course the most important question of the episode wasn't answered. Who is Baba Micchii?

Russ T

Banned
Cliffhangers aren't inherently bad, but when they're artificially forced into the end of an episode instead of organically arising from the rest of the narrative, they become annoying, especially when a series makes a happen of using fake-out cliffhangers or otherwise not really picking up on them (see Mawaru Penguindrum).

Oh, sure, I agree there are examples of bad cliffhangers. Especially in the case of, as you say, constant fake-outs that never lead anywhere. Nothing I've seen in Erased seems out of character for the show, though. Though I've come to accept that what I expected from Erased is very different from what others here expected from Erased, so there is that...

Ascheroth

I don't really understand the complaint about cliffhangers. Why are they bad? Just, in general? They've never bothered me.

They are not bad in general, but cliffhangers for the sake of cliffhangers can get annoying, especially if it becomes apparant that a show is deliberately using fake-outs or does not follow up on them.

Eraseds cliffhangers are starting to really annoy me (haven't seen this episode yet, but was true for last week), because I can't really take them seriously after the show used that completely meaningless fake-out scene in episode 3 or 4 or something (
the one where the teacher and Kenya were talking ominously and it meant fuck all
)

Qurupeke

ERASED 8

That was an interesting episode. One of the good ones and the story progressed a lot. And even if there was no doubt at this point, the killer's identity is all but confirmed in this episode.
And of course, it was the teacher and they didn't really try to hide it this episode. We're 4 episodes until the end, so things can turn really bad for Kayo now, considering how Satoru's mom trusts him.

Some great moments on this episode.
Pretty much all the scenes with Kayo in Satoru's house were full of emotions. And Satoru's mom is just the best.

And about the cliffhangers, it really sucks how they cut some things. The opening scene was pretty tense and I feel it would make a far better ending than the one we got at the last episode.

Lol at Kayo's mother though. At this point, I think she's so over the top that she's a bit of a joke character...

Jex

This week's episode of Erased didn't really end on a cliffhanger in the traditional sense. The real problem with the ending of the episode is that it felt artificially constructed.

The story the episode told came to a natural and wholly satisfying conclusion, but rather than leave the audience at that it had to dangle another plot thread in front of us in a rather lazy manner. We aren't so easily distracted that we'll forget to come back to watch the show next week. It felt rather unbecoming in what was, for the most part, a very well made episode. Therefore to end it on that clunky note left a rather sour taste in my mouth.

Saying all that, we did have our pre-requisite anime bathing scene, so it's not like the episode was without flaw up until the ending.

While I think ERASED is a good show, I don't know if I would call it a good mystery. (Some people view it as a thriller, and I don't know how much I agree with that.)

ERASED has this issue, maybe just for me, where there is too much misdirection in the story. I shouldn't feel like there's been more misdirection in the plot than actual revelations.

Cornbread78

uDZdqwU.gif

wS8Kxxu.gif

Mom, Mom, I love you!! Best fu(king mom ever; right up there with Sanae. What an amazing episode from start to finish; seriously great stuff. I'm at a loss for words here, it was just what I wanted to happen next and perfectly done. The part on the futons with Sataru's mom "being in the way" of Kayo was hilarious. Even the ending, no real cliffhanger there; we know exactly what she is there to do...

While I think ERASED is a good show, I don't know if I would call it a good mystery. (Some people view it as a thriller, and I don't know how much I agree with that.)

ERASED has this issue, maybe just for me, where there is too much misdirection in the story. I shouldn't feel like there's been more misdirection in the plot than actual revelations.

To be fair here, misdirection is a core part of the mystery genre. A classic murder mystery setup is where 10 people were in a position to commit the murder, and all 10 were acting suspiciously around the time of the murder, but it turns out that 9 of them had reasons for acting suspicious that were completely unrelated to the actual murder. If anything, I think Erased hasn't had enough misdirection if it wants to primarily be a mystery.

pbayne

Erased 8

Why bother with a cliff-hanger if you're you never do anything with it? Contrived tension.

Im still amazed at how much information the teacher is willing to give a ten year old boy. Wouldn't one of the other teachers say "What the fuck are you doing disclosing pupils private lives to each other?" Sure it looks certain that
the teacher is the killer but still bullshit narrative contrivances.

I dunno I thought it was a meh episode. I don't really care about Hinazuki any more or less after it. I hate that her character more or less boils down to "feel sorry for this girl". In fact I find all the characters to be very one-dimensional, very binary they're good or they're bad.

Szadek

Finished Ping Pong The Animation
After giving up on the show once, I gave it another chance with the dub and for some reasons that worked.
Even if it's not the perfect show for me, I still think that this is a great show.
I'm not a fan of the artstyle, but it is certianly stylish and well shot.
Best part of the show are unquestionably the characters and it's worth watching the anime for them alone.

Monogatari SS - Ep. 7-10
I thought this was going to be a Mayoi Hachikuji arc, but instead it was about Shinobu , which is even better as far as I'm concered.
Shinobu is my favorite character of this series. To be fair, it's pretty tough competition.
Moral of this arc: The butterfly effect is a bitch.

Jex

I don't think there are even that many plausible candidates for the 'killer(s)' in Erased, right? In that sense at the very least, the mystery aspect is somewhat lacking.

To give the series some credit, part of the reason for that is the scope of the story, taking place in the past and the present with numerous different characters. In that sense, at least, it feels like there's a lot going on even when you examine the core 'mystery' and fail to come up that many plausible candidates for the killer.

Ascheroth

Erased - 08

Yep, great episode. Liked it a lot better then the last couple ones.
Every moment Satoru goes 'Crap, I said that out loud.' is hilarious. His mom is also best mom.

But yeah, the shows cliffhanger-fetish is bringing down my enjoyment of it as whole. The cliffhanger for last episode was completely pointless again, and this episodes' wasn't much better either, because this

This week's episode of Erased didn't really end on a cliffhanger in the traditional sense. The real problem with the ending of the episode is that it felt artificially constructed.

The story the episode told came to a natural and wholly satisfying conclusion, but rather than leave the audience at that it had to dangle another plot thread in front of us in a rather lazy manner. We aren't so easily distracted that we'll forget to come back to watch the show next week. It felt rather unbecoming in what was, for the most part, a very well made episode. Therefore to end it on that clunky note left a rather sour taste in my mouth.

is pretty much how I feel about it too.

Cornbread78

I don't know, I am preferring this way to go in and out of an episode, than a 1-2 min recap/re-introduction each week. This weeks ending wasn't even a true "cliffhanger" but sets you up for next weeks entrance perfectly. It keeps things moving as a continuous story as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom