• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

Fantastic Children 7
I do have a question: Where exactly is the Southeastern Archipelago that is the main setting for the series supposed to be in the world? Obviously it's a fictional location, but it's still supposed to correspond to some rough location on Earth, right? It's singled out in this episode as not being in Europe, and the island Thoma lives on seems pretty remote and tropical, but the majority of the country seems to be European in culture.

Officially, Papan and Kokkuri Islands are just in "the South".

My guess is they're supposed to be analogous , at least in style, to the Ryukyu Islands off Japan (known as the "Southwest Islands" sometimes, like Papan and Kokkuri are the "Southeast Islands"). Thoma's martial art style is supposed to be kenpo i.e. vaguely Asian, although that doesn't explain why the mainland so close by is so heavily Western in nature.

Erased 08

Despite all the problems I have with this show at times, I cannot deny that the core of the Satoru/Mom/Hinazuki relationship is great. I teared up a little.

Marshmallow 08

Getting in the way of an almost yandere and her object of affection? Little bro is a dumbass.

I don't really understand the complaint about cliffhangers. Why are they bad? Just, in general? They've never bothered me.

Notice how the episode ended on a really good note but they decided to start a new scene at the end that kind of takes the wind out of the sails just so there is a setup for the next episode you were going to watch anyway?

Notice how that scene at the beginning of the episode probably would have been way better if it wasn't revealed to have happened at the end of the last episode?

That's why. The killer angle doesn't interest me at all. Its not even trying to be suspenseful or anything.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Erased Episode 8:

This show may have had some uneven results but it knows its emotional core. This show while sometimes lacking in subtlety with downright hokey symbolism does still now when it bring such tools when it counts. For example, Sayo initial reaction to Sachiko's hand movements speak volumes of how much abuse she has suffer and the breakfast scene was perhaps an even more powerful moment then the Christmas Tree scene from Episode 3.

Russ T

Banned
Notice how the episode ended on a really good note but they decided to start a new scene at the end that kind of takes the wind out of the sails just so there is a setup for the next episode you were going to watch anyway?

Notice how that scene at the beginning of the episode probably would have been way better if it wasn't revealed to have happened at the end of the last episode?

That's why. The killer angle doesn't interest me at all. Its not even trying to be suspenseful or anything.

Well, I haven't watched the latest episode, yet, but people have said similar things about previous episodes, and I'm just not seeing it. Oh well. To each their own, I suppose. Maybe I'll at least agree this time, we'll see!

Erased - 08

While I didn't like the eye-shaped framing when Hinazuki recalled what kind of breakfasts she got that scene was otherwise really strong. Overall certainly among the stronger episodes, although, as usual, not without caveats.

These "Get a grip! You're 29!" remarks Satoru makes about himself are quite humorous in the right context but this episode it was rather creepy. I'm still trying to think if he was thinking about s.th. completely innocent and maybe the translation for that phrase isn't perfectly suited but it damn sure seemed to imply some sexual fantasizing going on. And...yeh, what? You really are 29 and I don't see why your mind would wander there when it's your mom and a 10 year old girl. I'd rather expect this kind of laughter to heighten his mood because he's glad Hinazuki's having a good time and his mother is so good at dealing with kids.

Cornbread78

Freezing ep7-9:
Ok, we go from growing a closer bond between those two, to a big break-up/misunderstanding type situation there at the end of ep. 9. waaaaay too many boob and crotch shots for my liking here, but the story is entertaining, so I'll roll with it for a bit.

Assassination Classroom Episode 30
CcFsA71XEAA9RT4.jpg:large

Karasuma so epic. Glad it was animated.

Lupin the Third (2015) 21

The super over the top and comedic approach this episode took works miles better than the more grounded episode that have a story that doesn't really make any sense.

Today's climax was probably one of the most exciting scenes I've seen in recent time. While it doesn't happen a lot, the few scenes where action, comedy and the awesome OST come together in perfect harmony make this show something memorable. More episodes like this please.

pbayne

Gad Guard 9

10/10 episode.

Holy god usually episodes are good to great so far but everything is just perfect in this from framing, music, pacing of the episode.

Great self-contained story that added another layer to Katana's character. They replaced the usual up-beat jazz with more sombre tunes to match the dreary landscape. Lot of nice visuals like the inspector framed looking through the clocktower, the paper airplane scene was also really beautiful. And the final scene with Katana's scream replaced by the explosion behind him and the lingering shot of him with his mentor in his arms and his mech looming over them was fantastic. So much atmosphere and emotion packed into one episode.

Itd be surprised if any other episode in the series matched this.

Erased - 08
These "Get a grip! You're 29!" remarks Satoru makes about himself are quite humorous in the right context but this episode it was rather creepy. I'm still trying to think if he was thinking about s.th. completely innocent and maybe the translation for that phrase isn't perfectly suited but it damn sure seemed to imply some sexual fantasizing going on. And...yeh, what? You really are 29 and I don't see why your mind would wander there when it's your mom and a 10 year old girl. I'd rather expect this kind of laughter to heighten his mood because he's glad Hinazuki's having a good time and his mother is so good at dealing with kids.

Yeah, that scene caught me off guard. I was expecting Satoru to smile because Hinazuki was having a good time, but instead he pulled a creepy one.

Naruto Shippuden Season 17 Episode 450
This is why I love this anime so much. Its so pleasing. But noo the arc is over but we got such an awesome SasuNaru scene for the ending. The animators knows what Kishimoto was planning since day one, as Sasuke said, they were destined for each other.

Some canon material next week for probably one minute I bet, lol.

Erased 08

That
breakfast
scene. Goddamnit, my heart. As for what you guys say is creepy about Satoru, I like to think that the fact that he is in a young body affects him a bit in a way.

Tuck

Erased - 8
I feel like Satoru's plan was overly convoluted. Especially since he heard the Child Protection Services people explicitly say they wanted to take Kayo. Why not just turn her in then?

Also not sure why he's neglecting the other murder victims. Maybe he thinks if he breaks the cycle all 3 will be saved, but I don't think that makes much sense either.

Other than that, great episode.

Clov

For anyone who enjoyed SeHa Girls, Discotek's release of it has been upgraded from DVD only to a BD+DVD combo pack. Looks like I'll be picking it up now!

Ascheroth

The fact that he tries to "snap out of it" kind of makes me think it is actually what's happening there. Of course this is all wishful thinking. Maybe the manga goes into it?

Would be interesting to know, but I don't really think it's necessary.
I honestly didn't even think of that comment as something creepy before reading the impressions here, I kind of automatically assumed being in a younger body, pretending to be younger and being around others of the same age would have some kind of subconcious effect.

Just T

Erased: 8

I enjoyed this episode.
It was nice to see Kayo get some genuine motherly love.

Ojisan to Marshmallow: 8

Well, she tried.

Cornbread78

Rosario + Vampire S2 ep.1-3
Hopefully, annoying imouto goes away soon. Not bad episodes overall, but pretty standard stuff. At least ep.3 finally brought out some harem craziness, especially that that scene with our MC grabbing one mom's boob and pulling a Tusk with his face buried in the other. Sooo funny, Lol.

Phantom World 08

This is what I get for actually watching a show on the "watch through screencaps" list. I don't think I actually miss anything by doing that with this show.

Scamp anime preview is up, man, next season looks packed as hell.

Not even that many Magical High School LN adaptations, so weird!

Im confused by the Super Lovers synopsis as no one is in college in it.

Ill be watching:
12-sai: Chiccha na Mune no Tokimeki
Big Order
Sailor Moon Crystal s3
My Hero Academia
Bungou Stray Dogs
Concrete Revolution 2
Endride
FutureCard Buddyfight Triple D
Asterisk Wars 2
Ace Attorney
Hundred
JJBA Diamond is Unbreakable
Joker Game
Kamiwaza Wanda
Beyblade Burst
Kiznaiver
Kabaneri
Kuromukuro
Rinne 2
Macross Delta
Magi Sinbad
Mayogi
ReZero
Sakamoto
Seisen Cerberus
Twin Star Exorcists
Shonen Blade
Super Lovers
Tanaka Kun
Terraformars Revenge
Ushio and Tora 2

Assclass 2
Nijiiro Days
Cardfight!! Vanguard G

Officially, Papan and Kokkuri Islands are just in "the South".

My guess is they're supposed to be analogous , at least in style, to the Ryukyu Islands off Japan (known as the "Southwest Islands" sometimes, like Papan and Kokkuri are the "Southeast Islands"). Thoma's martial art style is supposed to be kenpo i.e. vaguely Asian, although that doesn't explain why the mainland so close by is so heavily Western in nature.

I guess I'll just have to accept that Fantastic Children geography has no real parallel in real-world geography despite Europe existing in both!

Majin Bone - 18

I gotta say, I love how perfectly down-to-earth the backstories of the main characters are in this. No past is outright super tragic filled with traumatic events.

You've got Tyrone as the gentle big brother taking care of his whole family, Luke trying to meet the expectations of his father, Gilbert desperately trying to stay ahead of the game, and now Antonio as a former petty thief in the slums finding joy in being a performer.

You might say that those aren't very interesting. I say that it makes them more human. I'm all for some super deep backstories, but in Majin Bone the simplicity of it feels just right.

This show puts in a lot of effort in showing just how valuable everyday life is to its characters, and they're all fully aware that it's in jeopardy. This sense of humanity, is something I don't see a lot of in anime. Much less in an anime aimed for kids in an adaptation of a card game, of all things.

I get more impressed by this show with every episode.

Ojiisan to Marhsmallow 8

The sweetest/funniest relationship in this show is of the two representatives of the company and Hige. When they're all crying together at the end I genuinely lol'd

Quasar

Freezing ep. 2-3
3z24w4X.gif

I still have no idea what is going on, but it appears the MC has a sister fettish and the heroine is a complete tsun tsun with a soft spot for just this one man. With that being said, I haven't cringed this much at stuff I'm watching since Cross Ange, and I think this one is actually even a step above Angelisa-sama.... This $hit is brutal....

It is brutal. Makes no sense at all to me...having a combat school where students sever limbs during traing/school contests.

Quasar

Rosario + Vampire S2 ep.1-3
Hopefully, annoying imouto goes away soon. Not bad episodes overall, but pretty standard stuff. At least ep.3 finally brought out some harem craziness, especially that that scene with our MC grabbing one mom's boob and pulling a Tusk with his face buried in the other. Sooo funny, Lol.

Theres an home visit one thats pretty entertaining in that vein.

Urusei Yatsura 14

When I saw this fish-eye lens shot at the opening of the episode, I wondered if this was an Oshii storyboard, and lo and behold it was! With the (proper) introduction of Mendou, it feels like the show suddenly shifted into its A game. Not only was the episode more consistently engaging than usual, especially Oshii's first half, but there is a conceptual problem that's solved by the introduction of Mendou, as he breaks up the Lum/Shinobu arguing over Ataru that's not a particularly interesting dynamic. Suddenly the cast has become much more interesting overall. I look forward to the show's continued developments.

tuffy

Well yeah, it's fiction, but it's a bit confusing when some parts of the world have a parallel to the real Earth and other parts don't.
The real world parallels - yet not exactly - do seem crafted to give the setting a deliberate off-kilter feel, which works to the story's favor I think.

I just love how me and a buddy of mine went at it for an hour just spitting out facts and theories about Erased. We may have come up with something that makes sense and could very well happen, if what we saw until now were actual signs and not just something that was there just because. The writer could totally just introduce some random(s) and make them the killers, but we went into it hoping that the writer wouldn't do something as distasteful as that. Process of elimination works rather well to narrow things down. No idea as to why it is being done though.

Yona of the Dawn 15

What the heck did they do to the OP song?! I was pleased that the first OP used an instrumental track that perfectly fit within the atmosphere of the series, but the second OP is using this really up-tempo electrodance song that's completely out of place with everything else in the show. What a mistake! Whoever approved this needs to be smacked. Fortunately the show proper is still good, and the excellent of the new ED song somewhat makes up for the abomination of the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom