• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yona of the Dawn 15

What the heck did they do to the OP song?! I was pleased that the first OP used an instrumental track that perfectly fit within the atmosphere of the series, but the second OP is using this really up-tempo electrodance song that's completely out of place with everything else in the show. What a mistake! Whoever approved this needs to be smacked. Fortunately the show proper is still good, and the excellent of the new ED song somewhat makes up for the abomination of the OP.

2nd OP song is much better than the first though. I thought Cynthia's song fits in with the strong hime idea for this half.

Yona of the Dawn 15

What the heck did they do to the OP song?! I was pleased that the first OP used an instrumental track that perfectly fit within the atmosphere of the series, but the second OP is using this really up-tempo electrodance song that's completely out of place with everything else in the show. What a mistake! Whoever approved this needs to be smacked. Fortunately the show proper is still good, and the excellent of the new ED song somewhat makes up for the abomination of the OP.

Yeah the second op was laughably bad. Its even worse because the first Op was execellent.

Cornbread78

Special A ep.6-8
Some really good classic romcom stuff in these episodes, I guess they are quietly build up the main relationship, but they are taking their time getting there since the heroine is you typical oblivious dope when it come to feelings. She wants a rival, he wants a lover. Time to grow up missy....

Haha yeah that moment was great.

Puts a smile on your face thinking about it. This show does an excellent job toying with all sorts of emotions. That bath scene is the same way, but it melts your heart because she needed thar motherly love right there.

Which show do I watch next? Kappa
Kekkai Sensen or Prison School

Prison School. Bring on awesomeness.

Chindogg

Urusei Yatsura 14

When I saw this fish-eye lens shot at the opening of the episode, I wondered if this was an Oshii storyboard, and lo and behold it was! With the (proper) introduction of Mendou, it feels like the show suddenly shifted into its A game. Not only was the episode more consistently engaging than usual, especially Oshii's first half, but there is a conceptual problem that's solved by the introduction of Mendou, as he breaks up the Lum/Shinobu arguing over Ataru that's not a particularly interesting dynamic. Suddenly the cast has become much more interesting overall. I look forward to the show's continued developments.

Mendou is probably the best and worst part of UY in general.

Aki-at

Erased - 8

Sometimes I wonder if I'd like this show more if it was set solely in the past and had no time travel mechanic to the story. Show continues to be great and the interaction between Satoru/Mum/Kayo is goes from endearing to funny in a switch. I'm really hoping the killer doesn't end up being someone obvious
like the teacher, man that would be disappointing but there really isn't many other candidates.
Kind of amazing to think there's only 5 more episodes left before this all wraps up.

Lovely Complex - 8

Can someone be as dense as Otani haha and I hate it when a show mutes whatever a character has to say
since I guess he gives the reasons why he rejects a relationship with Risa.
Guess the writers wanted people tuning into next week's episode, also this show really hits it hard on the "being single sucks!" with Risa's friends always leaving her behind to stick around with her partners :p

Which show do I watch next? Kappa
Kekkai Sensen or Prison School

Both are most excellent, but I preferred Kekkai Sensen.

Just T

Assassination Classroom S2: Episode 8

Pretty good episode, Karasuma came through. They kinda forgave Irina a little too easily tbh.

If they are skipping some character developments I think I'll read along side the episodes since I only kept up with the manga weekly around chapter 128, very irrational.

Kekkai Sensen probably had one of, if not the best OST last year.

Now I don't wanna say you're wrong if you disagree, but I'm gonna say you're wrong if you disagree.

When will you stop having bad opinions.

Madhouse is better than Bones

Age of Ultron was one of the worst movies I've ever seen and almost singlehandedly caused my faith in superhero films to break. Yes, worse than Iron Man 2 too.

Jessica Jones was neither a good superhero show or a good detective show.

That Trigger bones cop show isn't funny

True Detective Season 2 is better than S1

One of these is a lie.

Yona of the Dawn 15

Yeah, I'm really not sure what they were thinking. The original opening was so classy, and it fit the tone of the show perfectly.

Mendou is probably the best and worst part of UY in general.

What makes him the worst?

if you wanna watch Kekkai Sensen, watch Towa no Quon instead.

One makes you feel rock emotion. The other is just bleh

The only thing I can recommend watching from Towa no Quon is the webms on sakugabooru.

Yeah, I'm really not sure what they were thinking. The original opening was so classy, and it fit the tone of the show perfectly.

The artists for OP/EDs are often mandated by a member of the production committee for promotional purposes, so I assume that's what happened here. I wish they had at least written a song that wasn't so out of character with the show, though perhaps this sort of stuff is all the singer sings.

CcHGPREUEAACBoq.jpg:large

He could have been doing something else with his f6pose :( For >$140 Its kind of :/

Still my favorite is in a bathrobe at least, and that leg.

Cornbread78

Kare Kano ep.11
So it's summer break and she has to hang with the her new girlfriends all summer, it's personal growth, I guess, but pretty boring overall.

Madhouse is better than Bones

Age of Ultron was one of the worst movies I've ever seen and almost singlehandedly caused my faith in superhero films to break. Yes, worse than Iron Man 2 too.

Jessica Jones was neither a good superhero show or a good detective show.

That Trigger bones cop show isn't funny

True Detective Season 2 is better than S1

One of these is a lie.

Ayee, definitely the True Detective one. I love how you were the detective in it. You know, trying to piece just what the heck you were watching and all. Let's not even talk about the ending.

The story the episode told came to a natural and wholly satisfying conclusion, but rather than leave the audience at that it had to dangle another plot thread in front of us in a rather lazy manner. We aren't so easily distracted that we'll forget to come back to watch the show next week. It felt rather unbecoming in what was, for the most part, a very well made episode. Therefore to end it on that clunky note left a rather sour taste in my mouth.

Speak for yourself.

ibyea

Banned
Yona of the Dawn 15

Haha! I remember, the second OP is just crap.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Urusei Yatsura 14

When I saw this fish-eye lens shot at the opening of the episode, I wondered if this was an Oshii storyboard, and lo and behold it was! With the (proper) introduction of Mendou, it feels like the show suddenly shifted into its A game. Not only was the episode more consistently engaging than usual, especially Oshii's first half, but there is a conceptual problem that's solved by the introduction of Mendou, as he breaks up the Lum/Shinobu arguing over Ataru that's not a particularly interesting dynamic. Suddenly the cast has become much more interesting overall. I look forward to the show's continued developments.

it just keeps getting better too

Chindogg

What makes him the worst?

He's basically Ataru with money but provides none of the real character development that Ataru has over time.

Mendou's best when he's feuding with Mizunokouji rather than trying to fight Ataru for his harem.

it just keeps getting better too

This is the understatement of the year. UY impacted me so much when I was younger. It's one of the most important comedy animes to ever exist.

He's basically Ataru with money but provides none of the real character development that Ataru has over time.

Mendou's best when he's feuding with Mizunokouji rather than trying to fight Ataru for his harem.

At least Mendou has class, even if it's silly class. None of the girls want Ataru's attention, but they all want Mendou's (except for Lum). When up to now essentially all the male characters have been slobbering idiots at approaching women, it's a welcome change.

But does Ataru actually receive character development? Not just getting serious for one-off stories but development that sticks? I mean, I can imagine that his horniness gets toned down over time, but I'm not sure if that counts as development.

This is the understatement of the year. UY impacted me so much when I was younger. It's one of the most important comedy animes to ever exist.

As the series that jumpstarted the careers of Rumiko Takahashi and Mamoru Oshii, plus one that laid the groundwork for how future manga and anime would approach high school romantic comedies, its importance can hardly be overstated indeed.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Erased - 8

Sometimes I wonder if I'd like this show more if it was set solely in the past and had no time travel mechanic to the story.

It really would've been if it was just about some precocious kids, maybe one with magic powers like future sight, trying to solve a case of domestic abuse. The future stuff doesn't add much at all.

The time travel aspect will pay off when he's having a final battle against the killer, Time traveling George Bush, as they jump through like time of dinosaurs, the building of the pyramids, and nazi Germany.

Cornbread78

remember Airi guys

Kayo Hinazuki all the way. I really want to know the relation between the two though...

Theres an home visit one thats pretty entertaining in that vein.

Haven't gotten there yet, but we'll see. That parents day scene was hilarious though. All of their faces were priceless.

It is brutal. Makes no sense at all to me...having a combat school where students sever limbs during traing/school contests.

I'm almost done S1 and it's been really gory and brutal so far. I have no idea why my buddy was basically begging me to watch this for so long. It's probably because of the nipple thing or something.

Active Raid 8

Sena episode this time. His interactions with both Kuroki and Miho were pretty fun to watch, especially with how straight-laced bouncing off the more eccentric personalities of both of them. Nice seeing Asami now considering herself one of them as well.

Looks like things with LOGOS and potentially some backdoor conspiracies with the USDF will pop up soon, so looking forward to next week. It's a Bossu episode too, so looks like she finally gets her Willwear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom