• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
This was left unsaid in previous episode and only vaguely alluded to in this one but isn't the general idea: take away Kayo from home --->get the authorities to act---->get Kayo into child care and thus, presumably, beyond the reach of the killer ?
I feel like the show constantly undermines the value in saving Kayo.
ntjovuQ.jpg
What about the other victims? Hiromi Sugita is hanging around the main character all the time but he's not going to be saved. There's not even an emotion expressed about him facing an inevitable death as far as I remember. What a bum deal. Episode eight also flashes by the other girl and it's just like...okay...? What is being accomplished here?

And how does saving Kayo help the bigger narrative? Satoru's mom is still going to die. Satoru is still going to be framed and pursued by the police. Satoru got sent back into the past after being directly set up by the killer and it's just a total disconnect to what the show is doing with Kayo. Does Satoru not want to set things right and out the killer? To fix what the killer has done to his life? He only wants to save a single person. What if he travels back into the past again and has to undo all of this Kayo stuff to fix the other things? This story is absolute nonsense.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
And this is why when it came to picking shows to watch at the beginning of this season you all should have picked Nurse Witch Komugi-chan R instead. No nonsense.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
And this is why when it came to picking shows to watch at the beginning of this season you all should have picked Nurse Witch Komugi-chan R instead. No nonsense.
Best idol show in a long time. How could anyone know early in the season though?

What about the other victims? Hiromi Sugita is hanging around the main character all the time but he's not going to be saved. There's not even an emotion expressed about him facing an inevitable death as far as I remember. What a bum deal. Episode eight also flashes by the other girl and it's just like...okay...? What is being accomplished here?

And how does saving Kayo help the bigger narrative? Satoru's mom is still going to die. Satoru is still going to be framed and pursued by the police. Satoru got sent back into the past after being directly set up by the killer and it's just a total disconnect to what the show is doing with Kayo. Does Satoru not want to set things right and out the killer? To fix what the killer has done to his life? He only wants to save a single person. What if he travels back into the past again and has to undo all of this Kayo stuff to fix the other things? This story is absolute nonsense.

If Kayo is saved why would Satoru's mom die? The future would be changed?

duckroll

The narrative is playing the long game. It's fair to feel this way because we know how many episodes the anime is slated for and it definitely feels like they're running out of time, but as a serialized manga with no fixed end date, the idea is to keep people wondering about such things. Everything that you pointed out here will be addressed relatively soon if they don't cut it all out. If they do cut it all out, then the adaptation is incredibly flawed because they spent a lot of time building those elements up when they could have cut even more scenes to move faster instead.

The important thing to note is that Satoru is working based on a fixed time table. He knows the timeline of events and when they happened, so he is obsessed with fixing the closest impending murder, which is Kayos'. It might not be made particularly clear in the anime, but the other murders happen later on, so it's not something Satoru can "prevent" when the events have not been set in motion yet.

tuffy

Isn't it supposed to be the same person? He's certainly called Conrad Röntgen in the anime...
His name is pronounced "Rugen" pretty clearly (and that's how it's translated on DVD), and "Wilhelm" never turns up anywhere. The picture in the first episode points to him being the same historical figure, but the name change could either be something lost in translation or more intentional fuzziness to separate the real world from the world of the show.

phaze

What about the other victims? Hiromi Sugita is hanging around the main character all the time but he's not going to be saved. There's not even an emotion expressed about him facing an inevitable death as far as I remember. What a bum deal.
The fact that no one gives a shit about him is pretty funny

Episode eight also flashes by the other girl and it's just like...okay...? What is being accomplished here?

Without any context of future events, it seemed to me like a direct swing at Satoru's approach that signifies all his current efforts are silly, wrong and bound to fail.

And how does saving Kayo help the bigger narrative? Satoru's mom is still going to die. Satoru is still going to be framed and pursued by the police.
We don't really know that ? Satoru's mum died because she connected random encounter at parking lot with the past case. If Kayo survives and the other kidnappings don't happen or transpire in a vastly different way that could lead to Satoru's mom not making the connection in the future.
Satoru got sent back into the past after being directly set up by the killer and it's just a total disconnect to what the show is doing with Kayo. Does Satoru not want to set things right and out the killer? To fix what the killer has done to his life? He only wants to save a single person. What if he travels back into the past again and has to undo all of this Kayo stuff to fix the other things? This story is absolute nonsense.

I agree that the fixation on Kayo isn't very smart but 1. She's the first in the string of the murders and thus it follows that he needs to first save her. 2. like I said above, this could be a deliberate character flaw and something the show is going to call Satoru out on.

Bring back the original voice actor for Komugi and not this fraud impersonating her and then we'll talk !

I think it's too soon to be painting a full picture of this show when there are still 4 episodes to go. Pretty sure all these questions are intentional. Like it was mentioned before, the show wouldn't be building on all of these elements for nothing.

If by episode 13 none of these points have been answered THEN we can complain.

Majin Bone 18

The direction was rather limp this episode, but I liked Antonio's backstory. A kid growing up on the streets making his living with pickpocketing and getting beat up by police is an appropriate story for someone from urban South America.

pbayne

Preach. It is perfect at what it wants to be.

Kare Kano 22-25

Did Gainax run into some scheduling or money issues with this show ?( Maybe Anno's departure caused it ? )The unrelenting assault of prolonged recaps and the increased dose of stills certainly makes me think so. And it's not like the show was devoid of the latter even before.

Episode 24 was half a recap and half Arima's tulpa wars out of nowhere. 25 on the other hand was a complete side story focusing on Miyazawa's hitherto ignored sister. It really doesn't feel as if the scriptwriters have any clue where they are going with all this.

Wouldn't they have been flush with Eva money by that point?(discounting that one dude who embezzled some of it) So yeah probably Anno's departure was the biggest factor.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Koukaku no Pandora Episode 8:

The series is getting ever more solid as the episodes have gone onward and we get actual backstory this episode as well.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Okay Kare Kano the anime is the way that it is due Hideko Anno have huge clashes between him and Masami Tsuda resulting in Anno departing the series around episode 18.

There are a bunch of time paradoxes in Erased, though that always is the case with time travel stories. But I still wanna mention that it's strange how it seems to work. When Satoru returned to the present time very little changed. In fact, seemingly nothing did except for when Hinazuki's death took place.

So although Satoru failed to stop the big evil guy and primary cause of this entire revival event, his revival actions still played a role in the present timeline. It's not like him failing simply meant that no change would take place here whatsoever.

But if that is the case then it seems utterly unbelievable that Satoru, his Mom and everyone else involved would end up at this exact same situation again. By involving Hinazuki with his friends and mother, even if she died that would have a massively different effect on all of them. In addition, what's with Satoru himself? It can't be that his actually 29 years old self continued to relive that time again, right? Then we can be 100% certain that he wouldn't end up in the new spot. But who exactly is the Satoru that would exist in the past post-revival timeframe? Some Satoru that has made all the connections to Hinazuki but no longer has any recollections of his future self? Even that guy would probably lead a vastly different life in the long run.

It makes little sense and I understand that these paradoxes are mostly unavoidable, however, it could have worked out better if nothing changed in he current time line if the revival was 'unsuccessful'. They could've let Satoru come to that conclusion easily if they felt like he needed motivation to try for / hope for another revival.

This is the problem I've always had. One of his best bros gets murdered too and his only about line about him has been. "He probably got killed cause he sorta looks like a girl." I just don't get the importance of Kayo why does he think preventing her death will stop everything else?

Holy shit Satoru is a shitty fucking friend.

One Punch Man OVA 3 - The Ninja Who is To Complicated

Sonic having nightmares about being punched in the dick by Saitama was good. But other then that, Sonic isn't really an interesting character to focus on. He's good for one off gags or being paired with other people but as the main I wasn't enthralled.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I thought that was some unrelated elementary girl. I can't believe it's actually his friend.

Qurupeke

It starts to make sense. The killer is Hiromi from another universe and he managed to create a paradox where he kills himself and is now after Satoru.

What about the other victims? Hiromi Sugita is hanging around the main character all the time but he's not going to be saved. There's not even an emotion expressed about him facing an inevitable death as far as I remember. What a bum deal.

It's different in the manga. Hiromi is introduced with more backstory over the killings and an emotional response from Satoru over it as well. The fact Satoru completely forgets his face and most of the time spent with him is never mentioned in the anime and it's a really dumb omission.

It's still very much a "oh right, I need to save him too" thing from then to this point in the anime, but at least it's given a proper introduction and not treated as an afterthought.

Can't say the same for third girl though. No one seems to give a shit.

I just pretend that the time travel rules is that if he saves kayo the killer will identify himself or something.

If the killer is obsessed with killing her he might be ignoring the other two for now.

pbayne

Overall I think Erased would work a lot better if they established Kayo as being Satoru's friend in the past or at least having some connection to her.

Like from a cynical point of view it could be argued that Satoru only helps Kayo because it will ultimately save his mom (or he thinks it will). Why does he care so much about her other than the fact that's he's a "nice guy"?

Oh and fuck the show for sexualising that moment of the two of them(kayo and the mom) having a bath and Satoru fantasizing about it. That was beyond creepy.

Overall I think Erased would work a lot better if they established Kayo as being Satoru's friend in the past or at least having some connection to her.

Like from a cynical point of view it could be argued that Satoru only helps Kayo because it will ultimately save his mom (or he thinks it will). Why does he care so much about her other than the fact that's he's a "nice guy"?

Oh and fuck the show for sexualising that moment of the two of them(kayo and the mom) having a bath and Satoru fantasizing about it. That was beyond creepy.

He was sexualizing it? I thought its usual for kids to blush over the idea of the person of the opposite sex to be bathing in the room next to you.

He heard them laughing and having fun, must've imagined both of them naked and started blushing at the image, then reminded himself he's 29 mentally. A side effect of being a kid again is him doing shit he doesn't normally do as an adult. Like saying things out loud

He says shit out loud accidentally in the present as well.

That being said, he acknowledges in the manga that his mind has partially regressed to that of a 10 year old, so it's another omission that makes the anime slightly creepier.

BluWacky

His name is pronounced "Rugen" pretty clearly (and that's how it's translated on DVD), and "Wilhelm" never turns up anywhere.

I didn't dig out the DVDs to check but I did grab my artbook:

It says コンラートレントゲン (KONRAATO RENTOGEN) which is closer to the German pronunciation of Conrad Röntgen, although why they went without the Wilhelm I don't know.

Nightii

Banned
I figured the constant "Get a grip! You're 29!" scenes would be enough to make the point his current state makes him think and behave like a 10 year old at times...

The logic in ERASED does seem a bit shaky at times. There does seem to be a bit of a disconnect between what's happening, what Satoru is thinking, and what he's doing.

That being said, time travel stories often require saying "oh.....okay." when reading/watching them.

/XX/

Mr. Yonebayashi and Mr. Nishimura in da house! It seems Pete Docter was accompanying them for a good while on that "88th Annual Academy Awards Oscar Week Celebrates Animated Features" party... both studios' 'alumni' always get close together!

Even if it is like an odd bet against other nominees, the fact that a When Marnie Was There win could boost even more the importance of Hiromasa Yonebayashi, and towards bargaining better sponsorship deals with animation production companies for future endeavours along Mr. Nishimura too, is a mighty chance. That without counting the recent words from the director about the possibility of going back to Studio Ghibli for his next work too! Always for the best to keep a door like that well open.

He's basically Ataru with money but provides none of the real character development that Ataru has over time.
And what about Mendō's
astonishing 'bell-breaking' super strength gained during his "Getting Over Claustrophobia" Training Arc?
Isn't that enough character development? :-D

Did Gainax run into some scheduling or money issues with this show ?( Maybe Anno's departure caused it ? )The unrelenting assault of prolonged recaps and the increased dose of stills certainly makes me think so. And it's not like the show was devoid of the latter even before.
It most probably was because of Hideaki Anno's departure, yeah, which most probably was caused by a combination of interferences by the TV channel's new guidelines and the original author complains.

I figured the constant "Get a grip! You're 29!" scenes would be enough to make the point his current state makes him think and behave like a 10 year old at times...
In a way that is to be expected. Sure he is a 29 year old in a 10 year old's body, but he spends like the overwhelmingly vast majority of the time having to be and act like what he is, a ten year old.

Makes sense he's going to forget himself sometimes.

He says shit out loud accidentally in the present as well.

That being said, he acknowledges in the manga that his mind has partially regressed to that of a 10 year old, so it's another omission that makes the anime slightly creepier.

We talked about this yesterday and I speculated this was the case (I haven't read the manga). Good to see I was right.

By the way to all of the folks I'm seeing online saying the person screwing stuff in the present is some Satoru from some other time. No. This would go against the rules that the writer has put on revival. His body doesn't go back in time, there are no 2 Satorus at any given time. His confidence moves to the past and then back to the present. Unless the writer pulls a "suprise!" on us, it can't be him. I just had to write this because I keep seeing it all over the place and it just doesn't work. Or I hope it doesn't, because that would be shitty writing. Same as the killer not being characters that have been introduced already
e.g. teacher in the past, Kenya in the present.

Dagashi Kashi 07

feisty older girl and another Hotaru outfit change, its good.

Coconuts' dad just wants him to take over the shop so he can fool around with women. What a very manga father.

Galko 08

GALKOS SISTER.

I find this show to be really enjoyable, sincerely.

Sekko boyz 08

Fucking amazing ending. I can't believe this shows gimmick hasn't gotten stale for me yet.

Yona of the Dawn 16

Not as good as the earlier Yokoyama episode, but I like how this two-part arc has depicted Su-won. He hides his craftiness behind a mask of seeming nonchalance, and pays great attention to the needs and desires of his subjects. He actually seems like he'll make a good king, which makes it unfortunate that he's the enemy of Yona and her entourage. Puts me in a situation where I'm not sure who to root for in the eventual confrontation.

Mr. Yonebayashi and Mr. Nishimura in da house! It seems Pete Docter was accompanying them for a good while on that "88th Annual Academy Awards Oscar Week Celebrates Animated Features" party... both studios' 'alumni' always get close together!

Even if it is like an odd bet against other nominees, the fact that a When Marnie Was There win could boost even more the importance of Hiromasa Yonebayashi, and towards bargaining better sponsorship deals with animation production companies for future endeavours along Mr. Nishimura too, is a mighty chance. That without counting the recent words from the director about the possibility of going back to Studio Ghibli for his next work too! Always for the best to keep a door like that well open.

I would love for Marnie to get the nod for the attention that would bring to Yonebayashi, but we all know that Pixar's going to take it again. Miyazaki was just lucky that Spirited Away didn't have to compete with a Pixar film in 2001.

Ascheroth

The killer is obviously Satorus dad, who is also a time traveller and from whom he inherited his Revival ability.
He set up this elaborate scenario to force Satoru into action, with the goal of stimulating the growth of the Revival ability so that it can awaken its true potential, which is freely travelling to time, back and forth.

Actually it turns out Satorus entire bloodline has this special ability and their goal is to 'awaken' as many Revival users as possible, so that they can all travel to the same point in time and fend of the invasion of alien time travellers (of which Kenya is obviously one and he's acting as a scout) together.

Sölf

GATE 20
I like Sherry. She should get more screentime. And evil bunny lady is still great, but I am still not true what she really wants. Destroy the empire? Or simply get revenge on Zolzal?

By the way to all of the folks I'm seeing online saying the person screwing stuff in the present is some Satoru from some other time. No. This would go against the rules that the writer has put on revival. His body doesn't go back in time, there are no 2 Satorus at any given time. His confidence moves to the past and then back to the present. Unless the writer pulls a "suprise!" on us, it can't be him. I just had to write this because I keep seeing it all over the place and it just doesn't work. Or I hope it doesn't, because that would be shitty writing. Same as the killer not being characters that have been introduced already
e.g. teacher in the past, Kenya in the present.

But there's foreshadowing everywhere! Look at this screen in the OP!

And this is a frame later:

Future Satoru killer confirmed!

And before anyone accuses me of anything, I have not gotten to the culprit reveal in the manga.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was something stupid like that. Anyone that's read Cradle of Monsters would know this guy isn't an amazing writer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom