• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Durarara X2 31

A whole lot of Shizuo in this one. It's been long overdue since we had one. The slow bike entrance was the funniest part of the episode. And it seems Shiona is going to be a thing. But before that, Shizuo and Izaya are probably going at it no holds barred. Excited for tommorow.

Also Walker really wants Devil Survivor to occur in real life. At least he has good tastes in games.

Russ T

Banned
Erased is still better than most of the shit airing this season, but it really only had the one hiccup at episode five. Or was it six? The first one back in the present.

I mean it ain't perfect and it never was and never was going to be, but it's good.

Heavy Object Episode 20

"Since ancient times every civilizations ruler has had the same idea. When people unite under one will - they become stronger than the sums of their parts. And what do rulers use to bring people together? Language."

- Qwenthur and Haivia's achievements have been recognized lol
- We learn the backstory of the Mechanic Grandma, who turns out to be Japanese!
- Her family is on the other side of the island and so she's understandably stressed.
- This battle is an all out assault this time. Both heroes get down and dirty with blood on their hands.
- Indigo Plasma living up to its name.
- You guys thought Honeysuckle was a bad name? LOL

"In his eyes the greatest symbiotic parasite the worlds ever known isn't microbial - it's linguistic. Words are what keep civilization, our world - alive. Free the world, Not by taking mens lives. But by taking their tongues."

But there's foreshadowing everywhere! Look at this screen in the OP!

And this is a frame later:

Future Satoru killer confirmed!

And before anyone accuses me of anything, I have not gotten to the culprit reveal in the manga.

Kk so, for argument's sake, when Satoru's mom found out who the killer was and she called the reporter to talk about it,
how the heck would she know about this possible power that Satoru has of traveling to the past if him himself in this timeline doesn't know about it?? I'm assuming the guy killed her because she figured out this person's identity (and not just because) and there's simply no way she would have assumed that this person was a future version of her son.
Things don't align.

phaze

leovlu0r.png

I sure hope not.

the best show this season is haikyuu you dummies
It has the best OP at the very least. (From those I've seen anyway.)

Kk so, for argument's sake, when Satoru's mom found out who the killer was and she called the reporter to talk about it,
how the heck would she know about this possible power that Satoru has of traveling to the past if him himself in this timeline doesn't know about it?? I'm assuming the guy killed her because she figured out this person's identity (and not just because) and there's simply no way she would have assumed that this person was a future version of her son.
Things don't align.

I wasn't being serious.

Not all of it.

sonicmj1

I haven't read the manga, but I honestly don't know if anyone is serious about their crazy killer speculation in Erased, because the answer is really, really obvious.

Let's go over the clues.

1. The killer is someone known to Satoru's mom.
2. The killer is an adult male at the time of the initial murders, judging by his build in the scene where we see him.
3. The killer knows that murdering Hiromi will make it impossible for the police to suspect him.
4. The killer is not Yuuki.

That leaves literally one person.

There's some Persona 4/Detective Conan/Ace Attorney/Scooby Doo/Sherlock Holmes/Hyouka/Digimon Cyber Sleuth levels of detective work going on in here right now, haha.

I haven't read the manga, but I honestly don't know if anyone is serious about their crazy killer speculation in Erased, because the answer is really, really obvious.

Let's go over the clues.

2. The killer is an adult male at the time of the initial murders, judging by his build in the scene where we see him.
3. The killer knows that murdering Hiromi will make it impossible for the police to suspect him.

Well yeah that's what I mean. If the writer just went with the "SURPRISE MOTHAFUCKAS" element on us, I'd be really mad.

No, the best OP out of currently airing shows is Erased's.

Agreed. I love the last 20 seconds or so of the song, ending with that guitar solo. It's perfect.

Let's go over the clues.

By that logic, there's actually two suspects, but one of them being the culprit would take large amounts of misdirection and possibly even an accomplice.

JulianImp

I'll never forgive the downright atrocious dub we got in Latin America... They butchered the character names even more than for the US version (Shinichi Kudo -> Bobby Jackson, Conan Edogawa -> Conan Blassy, Kogoro/Ran Mouri -> Carlos/Clara Guzmán, Kaito Kid -> Niño Gato de la Noche), and the weirdest part is that we got 126 episodes just like you guys in the US, but several translation errors showed they were either using the Japanese script to translate or there was something really wrong with the whole thing (ie: Conan once said "hermana Ran", which was obviously a literal translation of Ran-neechan; also Heiji, named Alfredo in the dub, says he can't wait to meet Kudo on the first episode he appears in).

phaze

No, the best OP out of currently airing shows is Erased's.

It's close but Erased has a dull beginning (after the black white sequence) and it kinda fizzles out at the end. Haikyuu has the opposite problem of having dull middle (20-40 mark) and great beginning and end but given how well the latter two work in tandem, it edges it out for me. Especially since I prefer the song there too.

pbayne

It has the best OP at the very least. (From those I've seen anyway.)

Im quite partial to Rakugo's OP but maybe I just like that kind of music more.

Plus Haikyuu's ED>OP

Gad Guard 10

Back to back episodes were the direction is just so much stronger than usual.

Episode was Tarantino-esqe in how it constantly sliced up the chronological order of events and how it eventually looped back on itself. Had a really nice film real transition between them all too. In fact all the cuts in this episode are so sharp and fast helps the episode build up a lot of energy and momentum. Impressed they actually managed to weave every major character into the episode in some way.

Love the moral ambiguity and positions the episode put Hajiki in. Like he was finally given enough money to realise his goal and you can see him consider how much it will help his family but he ultimately rejects it since it was earned by criminal. activities.

It's close but Erased has a dull beginning (after the black white sequence) and it kinda fizzles out at the end. Haikyuu has the opposite problem of having dull middle (20-40 mark) and great beginning and end but given how well the latter two work in tandem, it edges it out for me. Especially since I prefer the song there too.

The shots of Satoru and his school friends playing? No way! They have lovely character animation and a wealth of personality. Plus it works really well when the OP loops back at the end to those same environments, now devoid of people, which gains greater meaning due to the on-screen title at that moment.

Anyway, here's the definitive list of worthwhile OP/EDs this season.

OPs:
1. Erased
2. Dimension W
3. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
4. Haikyuu S2 2
5. Prince of Stride Alternative

EDs:
1. Haikyuu S2 2
2. Dimension W
3. Erased
4. Prince of Stride Alternative

phaze

Fantastic Children 23-24
You know these
Gehrta and Thoma
revelations would hit a bit more or like, at all, if you didn't make them bloody apparent 10 and more episodes prior to all this...

... is what I had to said about those eps before the Seth/Soran flashback rolled in and went into a territory I really didn't expect this to show to cross to. Delicious suffering.

Cornbread78

Heavy Object ep.20
Shit has gone down in a big way here and I'm nott sure how they can get out of this one with 6 against 1/2 now maybe? Looking forward to next week.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
fun fact: the erased opening is still the only place the show has revealed the killer's face head on with context.

also, the imagery in the opening is a total bore to me compared to the incredible blocking/coloring in the ed.

Ascheroth

Heavy Object ep.20
Shit has gone down in a big way here and I'm nott sure how they can get out of this one with 6 against 1/2 now maybe? Looking forward to next week.

Yep, it's going to be fun seeing what ingenious plan Qwenthur comes up with this time, because right now I can't see them having any chance at al.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 8:

This is a very complicated show that has brimming around it well beyond its characters and I am enjoying that immensely. To wit, the scene in the Club Tennessee isn't just about the future of our protagonists and the paths they plan on walking in accordance to their personalities but they also stand for what Rakugo is and what it might be in the future and the club represents new forces of entertainment that might crush the artform in the long term. Yes, I think it is safe to say that this is my Show of The Season.

phaze

Preach. It is perfect at what it wants to be.

Wouldn't they have been flush with Eva money by that point?(discounting that one dude who embezzled some of it) So yeah probably Anno's departure was the biggest factor.

From XX's link:
Since Evangelion was so successful. Gainax stopped making animation because.. well .. everybody was getting paid. When they noticed this, they realized that Gainax could no longer make animation because they had stopped making animation all together.
lol

It most probably was because of Hideaki Anno's departure, yeah, which most probably was caused by a combination of interferences by the TV channel's new guidelines and the original author complains.

Kare Kano was supposed to be romantic comedy and we wanted to emphasize the comedy and not the romance. The author wanted to emphasize them both and that is where the conflict came to be.

Weird complaint to make as far as I can see. The romance is fairly prominent. Though obviously, I've no clue how it is in the source material.
-----
Heavy object is that one mecha show with ohohohoho ojousama and big sphere mecha right ?

----
The true definitive list of worthwhile OPs/EDs this season:

OPs:

1. Haikyuu
2. Erased
3. Dimension W
4. Rakugo

EDs:

1. Erased
2. Dimension W/ Ajin

At least the ED has its visual even if the song went nowhere after the good first ~10s.

No.

Speaking of the song. Sayuri's song for Game of Laplace s also pretty dope.

The love for the Erased OP surprises me. It's so incredible unremarkable, it's not even funny anymore.

At least the ED has its visual even if the song went nowhere after the good first ~10s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom