• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heavy Object Episode 20 You Can't Put a Price on Honor - The Critical Running Battle on Victoria Island I

I cant wait for Prizewell City Slicker to be destroyed, his gas plasma weaponry is awful.
CcOck2KWEAENYsS.jpg

Anyway reason I watched Heavy Object provided. The beginning scene with Qwenthur and Havia making the snowman and ice hut was hilarious and good way to share information while keeping things happening on screen interesting.

BluWacky

I believe I saw this albeit not the entirety of it on TV. Anything else on Egypt?

Agora's not bad (although not animated). The Stephen Sommers Mummy film (and its sequel) are fun popcorn flicks if you ignore the third one.

Anime-wise, the only thing I can think of that probably deals with Egypt in any great detail is Reign (Alexander Senki), probably only episodes 8 and 9 or so when Alexander visits the oracle of Ammon. Not saying it's good, I hasten to add...

brawly

Kaiji 23

What the hell is wrong with this guy? He's really starting to piss me off. At some point you just have to call it quits.

Defuser

I really feel like people are trying to force in intentions that are not present at all. If they were actually there, then sure it would be creepy, but they aren't... not even a little. At best you could say he has shown that he might care about her like a little sister or daughter but not remotely in a romantic way.

When Sugawara is hugging ,caressing and staring deeply into her eyes while the sun rises implies otherwise.

Luck & Logic Episode 8

Veronica is a great commander, really liked this episode and exploring her past.

Rakugou Episode 8

It kind of has problems at times, the miyokichi plot for example was terrible and a waste of time, the only thing we got out of it to save the show was a lovely confessional scene in the theater place about how much Kiku needs him immensely and wants to be with him forever and share every experience and everything with him.

Buranki - 08

If what this episode provided is what the future holds for this show, then I'm very tempted to pick up Buranki again, instead of speeding through looking for robot fights.
Episode felt very absurdly goofy, like they stopped giving a fuck. Lots of comedic art and gestures overall.

So apparently there are international teams of Buranki. Notable members of Team America (yes that's their name) is a klutzy fat guy with american flag colored eyes who throws in english american words and a cheerleader with a giant axe
Team Russia appears to have two hot female twins (one has a virgin killer outfit?) and a brother (triplets?)

u7VRIA8.jpg
A7UIhoO.jpg

^take note of the american flag colors influenced speedlines when the american attacks

With the new cast addition combined with potential dose of stupid I'm interested in seeing how these wackos perform in Burankis.

Cornbread78

Heavy Object Episode 20 You Can't Put a Price on Honor - The Critical Running Battle on Victoria Island I

I cant wait for Prizewell City Slicker to be destroyed, his gas plasma weaponry is awful.
CcOck2KWEAENYsS.jpg

Anyway reason I watched Heavy Object provided. The beginning scene with Qwenthur and Havia making the snowman and ice hut was hilarious and good way to share information while keeping things happening on screen interesting.

Shit, that was a hilarious scene. Of course, Major titon tits jumps in the igloo to stay warm, but at least she cooks the boys a snack.

blurr

Yes.

JoJo.

I gotta watch Part 3.

Agora's not bad (although not animated). The Stephen Sommers Mummy film (and its sequel) are fun popcorn flicks if you ignore the third one.

Anime-wise, the only thing I can think of that probably deals with Egypt in any great detail is Reign (Alexander Senki), probably only episodes 8 and 9 or so when Alexander visits the oracle of Ammon. Not saying it's good, I hasten to add...

I'll check out Agora. Loved the two Mummy movies. THERE WAS NO THIRD MOVIE.

Yu-Gi-Oh. :p

I do have to check it out at some point. I enjoyed HxH. All the more reason if Egypt is involved.

Bubuki Buranki Episode 8
CcPDiryWoAAkLa1.jpg
CcPDiltW0AIWzhQ.jpg

Onii-sama needed to actually appear not just be mentioned. Easily the best new characters introduced.

Team America could use some work, also Im surprised their fighting, I hope they end up dropping the fight and just work together. There was no reason specified why they even came to JPN or need to fight broke down beat down incomplete Oubu.

Also finally an anime with characters flying through the air actually shows birds.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Dagashi Kashi 7
Oh, so he left his son to take care of the stall while he play with a woman...
No wonder his wife left him.
I nominate Coconuts dad as the best wingman of this season.

The episode with Hotaru is more of a comedy while part with Saya is for that fluffy feeling. I like this episode.

Ascheroth

I do have to check it out at some point. I enjoyed HxH. All the more reason if Egypt is involved.

Either I'm missing a reference or you're confusing it with Yu Yu Hakusho, which doesn't involve egypt as far as I know.
Yu-Gi-Oh is the card-game anime.

pbayne

Funimation is kickstarting a bluray release of Escaflowne with a new dub. The goal is $150,000
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ision-of-escaflowne-a-new-hd-dub-for-the-clas

Hmm interesting idea, the original dub is pretty bad imo, especially the music changes.

I already have the ultimate edition on pre-order but wow if this sets a pre-cedent for going back to "fix" dubs it would be pretty fun to see how that turns out. Or fuck it someone pitch a kickstarter to dub Nichijou.

Edit: Well they don't ship to the UK anyway so fuck it. Still hope it does well.

pbayne

I think it's about a new dub. I'm sure they plan to have another release because they call this the Kickstarter Edition.

Yeah its out November 7 in the UK according to Amazon.

Is that how much a dub would actually costs or is it more of "to gauge interest" type thing I wonder?

Just read it fully and yep it is a gauge interest type deal.

Clov

Is Funimation really so hard up for cash that they need Kickstarter money to release Escaflowne?

Exactly my thoughts. Funimation is the biggest North American anime company, they can definitely afford to do a new dub without Kickstarting it. Hell, if they wanted to they could afford to put the dub and subtitled director's cut on different disks. They could live off DBZ by itself, ignoring all the other ridiculously popular series they have. This strikes me as being unnecessary.

Yeah its out November 7 in the UK according to Amazon.

Is that how much a dub would actually costs or is it more of "to gauge interest" type thing I wonder?

It says in the 2nd paragraph that it is to gauge interest and the 150K isnt going to fund the whole new dub. I guess they wanna know if people want the old dub or a new dub.
We’ve been working hand-in-hand with Sunrise—and legendary director Kazuki Akane and creator Shoji Kawamori—to explore the possibility of creating this new dub for months. We aren’t attempting to raise the entire production costs of a new dub, but rather to demonstrate the extent of fan interest—is it enough to warrant the creation of this dub? If the demand is truly there, then you can think of this Kickstarter more as a pre-order campaign rather than a fundraiser.

Exactly my thoughts. Funimation is the biggest North American anime company, they can definitely afford to do a new dub without Kickstarting it. Hell, if they wanted to they could afford to put the dub and subtitled director's cut on different disks. They could live off DBZ by itself, ignoring all the other ridiculously popular series they have. This strikes me as being unnecessary.

Yeah, we all know that this is because they figure Escaflowne is popular enough that they can milk extra money out of fans this way.

Future Card Buddyfight:100 (hundred) Episode 46

Theres the next omnilord. Since Buddyfight Triple D is soon, I guess we have to start winding down this arc.

Death Shido next episode, best episode in weeks.

duckroll

Does dubbing a show really cost 150,000 dollars?

Like...fuck.

No. It costs more.

What do you think is a fair rate to pay a cast of say, 20 people, studio time, an adr director, an adr writer, and the sound production crew, for a single 23 minute episode?

Now multiply that by 26.

What in the world are you guys watching.

Heavy Object.

The title does not refer to boobs surprisingly.

It's actually a pretty decent show.

No. It costs more.

What do you think is a fair rate to pay a cast of say, 20 people, studio time, an adr director, an adr writer, and the sound production crew, for a single 23 minute episode?

Now multiply that by 26.

Yeah, I guess that does add up.

I have a hard time imagining this kickstarter making it to 150,000 dollars.

But it's already almost to 10,000.

DiGiKerot

Does dubbing a show really cost 150,000 dollars?

Like...fuck.

No, it costs more. They know folks want Escaflowne, though, and by running a Kickstarter, they can charge a small fortune for comparatively low-cost goods upfront.

(Also probably dissuades folks from looking at overseas releases, or even delays said releases coming out until after theirs because new material like this suddenly being put on the table puts them in a real awkward spot)

Ojamajo Doremi 51 (end):

Well, this was a fantastic way to end the first season of the show. The final run of episodes here was a great arc for Onpu. In Episode 48 she finally takes responsibility for her actions. Then in Episode 49 she uses her magic to help someone, and sets into motion the chain of events that leads to this, while also simultaneously realizing that she can rely on Doremi and the others for help. Then in Episode 50 she joins Doremi and the others in saving a life even if it means failing the exam, and finally here she makes a selfless decision that nearly costs her everything. It's a fantastic arc, taking a selfish character and gradually having her step up and become a good person.

And then all of that leads into the rest of the events of this episode.
Doremi and her friends have to make the decision to give up their magic in exchange for saving Onpu, something that can't be done lightly, but they don't complain about it. Majo Rika also has to choose to give up on returning to her original form because she wants to support the group in their decision.
The result is a fantastic episode, and a great way to end the series on. If there were no other seasons, this alone would still put it up there as an all-time great anime.

There are very few anime that can be as consistently touching, heartfelt and genuine as Ojamajo Doremi is. The show possess a certain thoughtfulness in its writing that goes beyond what almost any other series possess. Pretty much all of the characters are extraordinarily well-developed, not just the main cast, but the entire class. The show possess the sort of genuine emotion and world-view that kids shows really excel at.

Why is Ojamajo Doremi better than your favorite anime?

1. The characters:

There are no bad characters in this show. Everyone, from the main characters, to their family members, to the rest of the class, to even just characters of the day, are extraordinarily well developed. They all have defined personalities, they all grow, and they all feel genuine. As a result of this, the show can do episodes that rely on your attachment to the characters already existing. The stories are able to get better and better because you already love the whole cast. Many aspects of the final episodes only work because you have 50 episodes of caring invested already.

I would say that most of the secondary characters are better developed than many shows main characters are.

2. The backgrounds:

There's only so much to say here. This was Toei when they were at the very top of their game in terms of background art, and Doremi almost never disappoints. The show has such a gorgeous art style, that combined with a great color palette, makes for some truly breathtaking backgrounds. Pretty much any scene in the show can come alive just based on the gorgeous scenery.

3. The expressions:

I don't know, some guy named Umakoshi or something?

Seriously, the facial expressions in Ojamajo Doremi are out of this world. Even if no other element of the show was particularly memorable, it would still be a pretty good show on the strength of those alone. They give so much personality to the characters, and bring a number of scenes to life.

4. The music:
It's amazing
No really
I mean it
This show has amazing music

If you haven't watched Ojamajo Doremi yet, what are you waiting for? Seriously, I would say that this show should be considered essential viewing for anyone who is a fan of anime. It's just such a consistently strong show that it's really something everyone should experience. There are few shows of this caliber out there. This would be something that I have no problems saying elevates the medium to the highest possible level.

This was a nice read, post more about Doremi. :)
==============================================================

[Bubuki Buranki] - 08

Team America was

And Team Russia has Kobayashi Yuu.
The episode was funny

Cardfight!! Vanguard G: GIRS Crisis Episode 13 (engdub)

Ibuki is only 20 and Chrono is calling him an old man, lol.

The cardfight was a great one after last episodes super serious Toshiki Kai Shion match. Chronos sayings to Ibuki and Ibuki's strong cards made it fun. Glad Toshiki Kai, Miwa, Kamui, and Ibuki put their faith in Chrono, its paying off.

Best cards, Interdimensional Dragon Epoch Maker Dragon and History Maker Dragon.

zulux21

Funimation is kickstarting a bluray release of Escaflowne with a new dub. The goal is $150,000
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ision-of-escaflowne-a-new-hd-dub-for-the-clas

This irks me.
not because funimation is kickstarting a dub, but because it's going to potentially interfere with the superior Skip Beat from reaching it's goal as skip beat needs 210k.

that being said despite funimation having their own dubbing studio it's kind of sad that their kickstarter costs more for people to get stuff than skip beat will.

also as for people being surprised it costs 150k to dub something... that isn't remotely including licencing fees
what ADV paid for shows a decade ago.

zulux21

a bit more info about the funimation kickstarter

So here's the question that's going to be a little uncomfortable, but I feel needs to be asked. It wouldn't cost $150,000 to dub Escaflowne and nobody would consider the show a serious sales risk; Funimation is a big company that releases shows like this all the time. Why can't you just produce the new dub without needing to have the fans raise this money for you?

Jennifer: One thing is that we've been seeing a lot of forum comments saying, "oh I really want a new dub of this." And twitter and people coming up at conventions and stuff and they give their reasons and it makes sense to us, but with a lot of this stuff, you know, we don't know, let's say a hundred forum comments really translates to in true demand. So that's something that—I mean that's really the case with any company, right? We want to make sure that it's—I guess that's pretty much it. We want to make sure there actually is the demand for this in the first place.

Lauren: So it's not really looking at fans to help us do something that we couldn't do or couldn't achieve, it's more "hey! If you really want this, almost consider this a preorder." It's not that we see it as a risk, this is more we wanted to create something neat where fans could be a part of bringing it back to life, this thing they've asked us for, and we've heard, like Jennifer mentioned, through forums or in person, it's more kind of creating a platform where they can be a part of bringing it back.

It's more saying "I helped Kickstart this to make this happen, I was part of this tier or part of that tier," it's allowing a little more ownership, and maybe not going the traditional route and just redubbing something and putting it out, that works great for certain titles. We're basically going a bit of a different route that just allows fans a little bit more ownership.

so from those we get
they can't gauge demand for anime before they get it for reasons.
and they don't feel it would be a risk to dub it and have no real reason why they couldn't have designed their own preorder campaign on their site.

or maybe I am not reading things right >.>;

that all being said I wouldn't mind one bit if funimation did kickstarters like pied piper is doing with skip beat to try to give a show a benchmark to be brought over, it's just odd with an old but established franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom