• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuck

Haikyuu-21

I'm finding this match to be really underwhelming. For what is supposed to be the climax, this feels flat partially because a large number of errors on both sides aren't forced.

I will admit that there is a certain lack of tension. Still just really f-ing fun to watch though. I actually like the fact that people are making mistakes. Kind of funny, and makes it a bit more... human?

I never want this show to end =(

Samurai Flamenco - 07

Well that ending sure as hell seem to have shaken things up. I expected some weird stuff to happen based on the way things were going, but not on this scale.
Now my head is full of questions. Like how do you defeat a frankenstein gorilla with a guillotine stomache and some kind of floating ethereal joker king with a cactus on his head!
I'm all for weird shifts and nonsense though, so I'm very curious and excited how much further this will/can go.

Flamenco is a show that never decides what exactly it wants to be. Instead it decides to be everything.

Thats why its so awesome.

Jarmel

Banned
isn't that a good thing?

No, not really. Seeing people fuck up serves or get uncontested aces isn't exactly fun in large quantities. This feels less like a drag out fight and more 'who performs the smallest amount of errors'.

Unlike last year, I'm not feeling any sort of tension where everybody was just getting worn out from long rallies or the heavy back and forth between setters.

fertygo

Haikyuu-21

I'm finding this match to be really underwhelming. For what is supposed to be the climax, this feels flat partially because a large number of errors on both sides aren't forced.

I found the errors made great ingredient and serve its purpose, its tight match and these player use risque technique to its limit, Spike service is supposed to be error prone afterall and these dude chose high risk serve to gain as much advantage that they could with momentum swing that they get, this episode really emphasize that.. they made an bunch of error, but when its work, they get a run. I love it.

World Trigger Episode 68
tumblr_o389qurpgt1qbxqfpo1_540.png
tumblr_o389qurpgt1qbxqfpo2_540.png

Inukai is having way too much fun in the snow. It was amazing battle overall with the strategy..

Koarai and Okudera were a good tag team too for their moment. Combined with their sniper they gave one of the best scenes. I think this was one of the things that I loved from the manga and from the anime
Mikumo does all that training but still remains a normal everyday low trion human character. Meaning that he still loses to those who are stronger and out strategy him, even worst he didn't even get to show anything from his training. I thought it was nice and refreshing and at least keeps epic Yuma Kuga on a high level. I like the occasional normal everyday human in stuff. It makes me want to support them and see them succeed and their successes feel so worth it, like when he carried Trion Cube Chika to safety in the invasion arc.

Favorite minor moment was seeing Hyuse struggle to eat with the chopsticks. I still don't understand how soupy stuff is eating with these (also I still cant eat with them, Im litrally like Hyuse). Why can't spoons be used? Thats how I eat all my ramens/pho.
tumblr_o38a0rdMSZ1qbxqfpo3_r1_540.png
tumblr_o38a0rdMSZ1qbxqfpo2_r1_540.png

actually at no point does funimation say it needs money to do this or that it needed to kickstart it.

they actually took the "for the fans" angle claiming it will allow fans to prove they aren't just saying they want it without backing it up and that it will give fans more flexibility with the release *shrugs*

I'm not backing it either way, but they aren't actually begging for money that is just false :p

You know what kickstarted dub would actually make sense and that I'd contribute to? legend of galactic heroes

Jarmel

Banned
You know, I'm watching Gate and I can't help but to think how the CIA would have handled this shit.

I really should have dropped this show.

melike75

Neo Member
Hey Anime-gaf,
So my wife and I have jus gotten back into anime after a 10 year child-induced hiatus. I've been making use of the 'best of insert year' threads but was wondering if people could offer some advice on what is the best stuff right airing right now and where to find it. We mostly use crunchyroll and looking at animelab (in Australia). We've been watching a bunch of slice of life stuff and the wife is obsessed with Haikyuu at the moment but I'm hoping to find something more in the fantasy/sci-fi vein.

Any thoughts? Really the only show thats currently airing we're keeping up with is Erased. So, yeah, any other recommendations would be great and in the meantime I'll work through reading this 250+ page thread!

*gazes over the posts regarding Gate*

....Didn't that show just have a line about how "no one in Japan sexualizes children" or something?

Christ.

ibyea

Banned
Hey Anime-gaf,
So my wife and I have jus gotten back into anime after a 10 year child-induced hiatus. I've been making use of the 'best of insert year' threads but was wondering if people could offer some advice on what is the best stuff right airing right now and where to find it. We mostly use crunchyroll and looking at animelab (in Australia). We've been watching a bunch of slice of life stuff and the wife is obsessed with Haikyuu at the moment but I'm hoping to find something more in the fantasy/sci-fi vein.

Any thoughts? Really the only show thats currently airing we're keeping up with is Erased. So, yeah, any other recommendations would be great and in the meantime I'll work through reading this 250+ page thread!

From the New World is a great fantasy/sci-fi show.

Hey Anime-gaf,

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 for a good sci-fi show. Space Dandy is also good, lots of off episodes, comedic in nature as well though.

Not really super into fantasy anime, but Log Horizon was good.

If you like Haikyuu do Yowamushi Pedal or Kuruko's Basketball.

Hey Anime-gaf,

If you haven't watched anime for 10 years, you've certainly missed a lot. Let me give you a few suggestions from recent years and you can ask for more if you've got something more specific in mind.

Blue Exorcist: The Movie (a simple yet effective character drama with breathtaking backgrounds)
Concrete Revolutio (superhero mashup examination of gray morality in alternate mid-20th century Japan)
Eccentric Family (the adventures of mythical creatures in modern Kyoto)
Garo the Animation (very well constructed dark fantasy tale with thrilling climaxes and strong character writing)
Ghost in the Shell: New Movie (solid sci-fi action thriller)
Ping Pong the Animation (excellent character drama set against the background of the sport)
Pupipo (the largest scope a series of 3-minute episodes has successfully achieved)
Saint Young Men (relaxed daily life film about Jesus and Buddha sharing an apartment in modern Japan)
Shashinkan (perfect wordless short film)
Silver Spoon (light drama and humor in an agricultural high school)
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (classic science fiction)
When Marnie was There (atmospheric tale about breaking free from depression)
Wolf Children (heartwarming film about motherhood)
Yona of the Dawn (Asian fantasy shoujo)

Jintor

I'm on Crunchy atm, but what should I get for most coverage as well, Animelab or Funimation? Probs Fun right? I'll have to work out VPNs when I get home (Aus) in August though...

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
pls no bully.

----
How is C – Control – The Money and Soul of Possibility anyway ? I've never, ever seen it mentioned here, much less watched or discussed.
Wasted potential. At first, it looks cool, but as the story goes it become nonsense. In short
Dissapointment.

Hey Anime-gaf,

Ten years means you missed Gurren Lagann.

Go watch that.

jbug617

Banned
Hey Anime-gaf,

For Fantasy/Sci Fi:
Tsuritama
Zetsuen no Tempest: The Civilization Blaster

Slice of Life:
Kids on the Slope
Barakamon
Usagi Drop
Silver Spoon

Sports:
Yowamushi Pedal S1 and S2
Kuroko no Basket
Diamond no Ace

Hey Anime-gaf,

I hope you have checked out Glasslip, its one of the best shows in the past few years.

Also Nagi no Asakura, as well as BLast of Tempest.

Cornbread78

Utawarerumono ep.21
Am I the only one that is sick of espionage and conspiracy stories? Between Gate and now this, it's getting pretty old. I really like the show, but I'm not thrilled at the story direction right now. Life is suffering for Haku.

Cornbread78

Hey Anime-gaf,
Any thoughts??!

Sword Art Online
Plastic Memories
Clannad/Clannad After Story
Angel Beats
Danmachi
Itazura na Kiss
Spice and Wolf

Brave Beats Episode 18 – Scattering Sweat! The Dancing King of Dance!
tumblr_o38h9wPWY41qbxqfpo2_540.png
tumblr_o38h9wPWY41qbxqfpo1_540.png

I always like when kids shows arent afraid to have the characters confront the big boss early in the show when they clearly arent ready and then then the boss is just like all is forgiven lets be friends, etc. In any case, great episode and great chance to see the King of Dance's skills. His face was the best part.

Flash Beats skills were awesome though.

Maito reveals next week?!

Yona of the Dawn 19

Really strong episode. The style of the show was executed as well as it's ever been, with Yona's terror and resolve during her test being powerfully conveyed. The visuals were great - I particularly liked the water animation. The scene between Hak and Yona towards the end was really good as well, bringing to the surface the emotions that they've been too busy to deal with for most of the series. Hopefully next episode will live up to the hype the end of this one created.

Mailbox

How is C – Control – The Money and Soul of Possibility anyway ? I've never, ever seen it mentioned here, much less watched or discussed.

I personally really enjoyed it. I found it quite a nice departure from standard shows of its type.

That said, you can tell that they didn't have enough time. There are a lot of ideas in this anime and along with the story, 11 episodes just wasn't enough to give it all. The ending is a mess that is super confusing (though when I think back, its also kind of a unique ending too...). Its wasted potential, but I didn't regret watching it.

Basically, its a good show to watch if you know that the ending isn't gonna be up to snuff.
Its one of the 2 anime that I've been wanting to buy on BD but I've been buying other stuff recently :/

Chindogg

Rosario + Vampire Capu2

Silly and fun but kinda ends with no resolution. Much like the majority of harem anime.

Still though, it has some of the best songs.

Thoraxes

First of all: if we do not hit the goal of $150k dollars on this Kickstarter to be able to actually create this new dub, then we're just going to be releasing the new HD material, so the new stuff based on the Japanese Bluray, subtitled only.

Yeah, I'll just get that.
Also where the fuck is the Outlaw Star BD?
platinum disco is easily the best monogatari OP

must
not

Russ T

Banned
Erased 08

Hot damn we're back in the thick of the Really Good Stuff. Much as I'm not down on Present Time episodes like a lot of people in this thread, I'll never like it as much as Past Time episodes. Mom is just the best. Man, what a heart-warming episode.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 6

I should wear headphones for every episode. The sound direction is strong enough that it adds a lot to the experience.
Huh. The music is good but the actual use of soundscapes is the piece of Rakugo's production that bothers me the most. Almost no positional audio. A lot of just blank space in interiors, and at night, like the sound director doesn't know what to do if he can't fill the void with the bug/bird noises you get from generic day sequences. In the episode you're referring to the visit to the river has no real audio for the body of water.

Sound Director is listed as some ex-VA talent whose sound direction career is Glasslip, Freezing, and "World War Blue". It really lets down the score/VA work for me.

Jarmel

Banned
First reaction, the character animation looks vastly better than the background work and overall art direction. The art direction itself feels mediocre outside of the battle sequences. This looks really subpar compared to Mob Psycho.

Jesus Christ I don't want to be saying this.

Gundam 00 S2 25 (End)

So I guess this is where the "understanding" meme comes from? I didn't think 00 S2 started off too bad, and it did have some good parts, but I can't quite pinpoint when everything went downhill. That last fight was neat though.

00 movie next then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom