• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

Why waste money on a new dub for a catalog title if people are fine with a sub only release?

because only some people are fine with a sub only release?
because sub only release has no chance at all to make it to toonami?
(also it might be in the contract that they have to like pied piper is with skip beat)

I know I personally don't buy many sub only releases, I think I own like 10 sub only releases and somewhere between 300-400 dubbed releases.

People being shocked at the cost it takes to dub something, now you know why Legend of the Galactic Heroes will never ever ever ever get a dub

I wouldn't say never ever, but it is rather unlikely. It was sentai who licensed it. It will likely be a subtitle only release to start with and if it sells well enough will get a dubbed release like they tend to do. the question will be if it sells well enough.

beyond that though we don't know how much it cost to license, if it was expensive enough despite it being expensive to dub given the length they might still dub it to reach more people to increase sales so people like me might actually buy it.

Bubuki Buranki 08

8HYekcd.jpg
OIg091I.jpg

Best episode. This American team is fucking priceless.

zulux21

Well now those who wouldn't be fine with it have a chance to make their voices heard.

nah sales numbers do that just fine as dubbed series tend to sell way better :p

beyond that I won't be giving a penny to this campaign as all of my money will be going to the skip beat campaign instead. As that is a campaign that is for a show I enjoy more, and for a company that is basically putting their entire company on line to bring over a new show (aka with real risk instead of a "we wanted to include our fans." PR line for we wanted to milk our fans for money).

plus pied piper are charging less to buy the show despite being a smaller company with far more on the line.

I don't know what to think of the Escaflowne dub Kickstarter.

On the one hand, Escaflowne 2016 release is all but assured at this point. On the other hand, Funi doing a sort of director's cut means that if this fails, then we might be getting a sub only release here in NA. On the other, other hand, it getting redubbed means no Ocean dub and that will be yet another Canadian dubbed series that you Americans stole from us. On the other, other, other hand Dilandau might get a voice actor who doesn't sound like he's five years old.

Basically I'm remaining catiously excited and hoping I don't overdose on Nostalgia with regards to the old vs. new dub.

zulux21

Waiting for the day when actually relevant shows that have never had an American release get kickstarters. Id support Ace of Diamond, TriCool, M3, and Kurobas easily.

march 1st you get skip beat on indie gogo.

as for the shows you said, all of those are very unlikely. the only reason skip beat is getting done is because the person doing it is a huge fan. they wanted a 12-13 episode series due to cost. For a longer series you would need funimation to do it and I doubt tricool or M3 has a chance in hell of making it. assuming Kurobas is the basketball show that has a chance, and ace would have a small chance but I think Major would be the better pick up (not only is it easier to break into smaller chunks where you could do a kickstarter for each season but it's also a way better show than ace of diamond)

phaze

Trapeze 11 END

Wasn't really feeling this case all that much and having it resolved by Irabu's monologue, spelling out both the solution as well as the central message of the show felt 1. unearned as a solution to the problem at hand 2. too on the nose. I mean, I know I'm dumb and I need you to spoonfeed me your themes but at least try to pretend I'm not !

But that notwithstanding, this was a really good show, all the more so since I don't tend to fare well with episodic stuff. Kenji Nakamura was one of my favourite directors by the virtue of Mononoke alone and this only solidifies it. I might try to get over my Hajimephobia and try Gatchaman again.

Waiting for the day when actually relevant shows that have never had an American release get kickstarters. Id support Ace of Diamond, TriCool, M3, and Kurobas easily.

You seriously think The Vision of Escaflowne isn't relevant? Escaflowne was one of the big titles that came out here in the West during the Anime boom and IIRC several Japanese manga and anime artists have cited it as a major influence. It has far more relevance to the medium (even if just historically) than the shows you mentioned ever will be.

Taruranto

Some sorta of NTR #8

"I'm gay, I'm not gay, I'm gay, I'm not gay" GOD, MAKE YOUR FUCKING MIND!!!

Anyway, me thinks Kiku could be lying. Judging by his body language in the previous episode (and Rakugo is an anime that put great emphasis on body language) there is just no way he could be in love with Myokichi.

Clov

I wouldn't say never ever, but it is rather unlikely. It was sentai who licensed it. It will likely be a subtitle only release to start with and if it sells well enough will get a dubbed release like they tend to do. the question will be if it sells well enough

Even if LotGH sells well for Sentai, I don't feel as though it will sell well enough to dub the entire series. That's a huge amount of money, and I think right now only series with mainstream appeal will get dubbed if they're over 100 episodes long.

You've brought up another good point about Funimation's Kickstarter interfering with Pied Piper's Skip Beat campaign. Kind of a jerk move by them; I'd delay the campaign if I were Pied Piper. It's pretty frustrating to see a large company that doesn't even need to be crowdfunding getting in the way of a small company that does.

zulux21

You seriously think The Vision of Escaflowne isn't relevant? Escaflowne was one of the big titles that came out here in the West during the Anime boom and IIRC several Japanese manga and anime artists have cited it as a major influence. It has far more relevance to the medium (even if just historically) than the shows you mentioned ever will be.

you seem to have stopped reading after relevant and missed the "that have never had an American release" part right after which since escaflowne has had an american release wouldn't fit for what they want.

Even if LotGH sells well for Sentai, I don't feel as though it will sell well enough to dub the entire series. That's a huge amount of money, and I think right now only series with mainstream appeal will get dubbed if they're over 100 episodes long.

You've brought up another good point about Funimation's Kickstarter interfering with Pied Piper's Skip Beat campaign. Kind of a jerk move by them; I'd delay the campaign if I were Pied Piper. It's pretty frustrating to see a large company that doesn't even need to be crowdfunding getting in the way of a small company that does.

I don't think that pied piper could delay if they wanted to. They have dates to meet and in general have to much riding on the success of skip beat.

you seem to have stopped reading after relevant and missed the "that have never had an American release" part right after which since escaflowne has had an american release wouldn't fit for what they want.

I read it and I get where he's coming from. But to say that Escaflowne isn't (or wasn't) relevant is incorrect.

phaze

http://i.imgur.com/gpZCgyS.png[[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE][IMG]http://abload.de/img/014606svsvj.jpg
pls no bully.

I don't remember, what happened in that episode?

Kirchner and his imouto.
(I didn't watch SAO so I'm not quite sure if this was the part he was taking a swing at)
----
How is C – Control – The Money and Soul of Possibility anyway ? I've never, ever seen it mentioned here, much less watched or discussed.

Majin Bone 22

If the Primordial Majin wants to destroy Earth because humans killed all the dragons, he's sure taken his sweet time doing so.

Trapeze 11 END

Wasn't really feeling this case all that much and having it resolved by Irabu's monologue, spelling out both the solution as well as the central message of the show felt 1. unearned as a solution to the problem at hand 2. too on the nose. I mean, I know I'm dumb and I need you to spoonfeed me your themes but at least try to pretend I'm not !

That's a shame; I loved the last episode of Trapeze as a way of smoothly tying together the show narratively and thematically. It's the main reason why it's my favorite Kenji Nakamura show.

I don't remember, what happened in that episode?

Some douche licked the blind girl whose aunt and uncle were trying to sell her off in marriage,
and then he got blasted to smithereens by the girl's escaped brother

BluWacky

This Funimation Escaflowne thing is bizarre.

I understand needing a new dub because they'll have gaps where the extra scenes go, but... it's less than ten minutes of material in the first seven episodes or so. Wouldn't it be easier/cheaper to get the original actors back, most of whom still work in VA-ing? I know, it's Canada, but still... hell, they don't even have to worry about the fact that Dilandau's voice actor's voice is now long broken, as none of the deleted scenes involved him. If they're worried about the viability of a new dub financially then that would make more sense to me.

Frankly I always thought the original dub was pretty good, but then what do I know?

I just want the damn thing out. DigiKerot's insinuation that this will further delay the UK release doesn't surprise me; presumably Anime Limited will just end up waiting for this dub (if produced) to be completed so they can include it.

Ah well; we've been waiting this long, I suppose I can wait for longer...

zulux21

How is C – Control – The Money and Soul of Possibility anyway ? I've never, ever seen it mentioned here, much less watched or discussed.

C manages to succeed at both needing more episodes and needing less episodes at the same time. It has some interesting ideas but rarely pays off with them or does them well.

end result it's watchable but not great.

ibyea

Banned
Gods of Egypt

This mismash of Saint Seiya, Zone of the Enders, God of War, and Clash of the Titans is a huge turd. Unfortunately it isn't even the sort of massive turd that breaks the floor and descents into legendary irony. It's just a very mediocre production with some really weird/funny ideas, executed with poor direction and performances. Two hour long lamer of a film with pretty awesome mecha armor suit design.

Would not recommend.

I was hoping it would at least be stupid cheesy fun, but I guess it's not even that.

ibyea

Banned
C manages to succeed at both needing more episodes and needing less episodes at the same time. It has some interesting ideas but rarely pays off with them or does them well.

end result it's watchable but not great.

Yeah I concur. The end result is okay-ish.

Samurai Flamenco - 07

Well that ending sure as hell seem to have shaken things up. I expected some weird stuff to happen based on the way things were going, but not on this scale.
Now my head is full of questions. Like how do you defeat a frankenstein gorilla with a guillotine stomache and some kind of floating ethereal joker king with a cactus on his head!
I'm all for weird shifts and nonsense though, so I'm very curious and excited how much further this will/can go.

zulux21

Funimation begging for money now... I've seen it all.

Funimation dubs 90% of all anime and we are to believe that this is the one project thet need help on. L E L

actually at no point does funimation say it needs money to do this or that it needed to kickstart it.

they actually took the "for the fans" angle claiming it will allow fans to prove they aren't just saying they want it without backing it up and that it will give fans more flexibility with the release *shrugs*

I'm not backing it either way, but they aren't actually begging for money that is just false :p

they actually took the "for the fans" angle

scust. There is nothing more patronizing.

Samurai Flamenco - 07

Well that ending sure as hell seem to have shaken things up. I expected some weird stuff to happen based on the way things were going, but not on this scale.
Now my head is full of questions. Like how do you defeat a frankenstein gorilla with a guillotine stomache and some kind of floating ethereal joker king with a cactus on his head!
I'm all for weird shifts and nonsense though, so I'm very curious and excited how much further this will/can go.

You ain't seen shit yet.

So I was readin' the latest JoJolion chapter and this happened

lvZibr0.png

So I'm gonna take this as subliminal messaging to watch more of my new years backlog shows

The Rose of Versailles 01

Ok, I know literally nothing about this show except it is a shoujo and very well regarded. Apparently this anime started in October 1979, so it'll be the second oldest TV series I've watched just behind Mobile Suit Gundam which aired in April 1979. Judging by the name, I expected some French aristocratic drama or something like Emma and it looks like I was half right.

It's proto-Utena without the Ikuhara. Rose is in the name of the series and is the crux of the OP. It's about a woman who dresses like a prince and is a master duelist. Even if I hand't watched Utena three months ago, the connection would still be obvious. Beyond that, it was a good first episode. I know what to expect from late 70s-early 80s anime in terms of visuals, animation and direction so none of that will bother me and I think I will enjoy the historical setting, and I always enjoy period pieces being written by authors who are not from the associated country.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjou - 8

Damn, that was a really concentrated episode. There wasn't any dead moment, most of it was all important talk where everyone happened to bare their hearts.

-Miyokichi did it in the bench at the side of the river, about her harsh life and her role as woman in her love to Yakumo.
-Yakumo on why his strange behavior with her and his feelings for her. It makes sense, with him being so uptight. Let's remember she is a geisha, from low class, this is Japan, and it's the 50s, all that combined with his super serious personality actually explains it.
-He also confess his complicated feeling between friendship, jealousy, suffering and competitiveness with Sukeroku, and they "break up", though in amicable ways.
-Sukeroku explains their rivalry through the lens of Rakugo in a new age, with him not being afraid of changing it to pursuit the big public.
-He also unveils the origin of his new name and a more serious side to him, with his inner fears of ending as the old Sukeroku did, for him was always about pure survival.
-Even a secondary character as their master has a good scene with him revealing the weight of the name of his household in the Rakugo world, his duty to the legacy, while fearing secretly he never was up to the task. I had the feeling he had a bittersweet feeling because maybe in the end the major contribution to the name he did in his life was to take the two main characters as students, which is good because the will end as famous performers but one always wants to be a star by himself, "teacher of a star" isn't as glamorous.

I remember saying 7 didn't advance a lot the story or character, it spinned a bit the wheels on the air, but his episode resumed it with a good pace.

Jarmel

Banned
Haikyuu-21

I'm finding this match to be really underwhelming. For what is supposed to be the climax, this feels flat partially because a large number of errors on both sides aren't forced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom