• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

Wow wtf happened here? Sounds like the doujin circle tried to pull some shady stuff. I wonder if we'll ever get the full story.

the only thing they would confirm is that the publisher was guilty of paying people to make positive reviews for the game.

beyond that they didn't go into detail, but the whole thing is just very sad.

JulianImp

Or "we are still short 50 seconds of running time!"

I laughed at the prospect of a 50-second throwaway gag sneeze scene.

This makes me wonder if any shows have done the inverse: have character A sneeze and cut to the aftermath of B and C talking about A behind his/her back. That'd probably be even weirder, since I can almost picture it with the cut switching to two girls finishing their girls talk with generic stuff such as "maji maji!".

It's just a cultural thing, like the whole manzai style of humor that so many non-Japanese hate.

It happens in manga just as much as anime, so it's not something that was invented just to fill time.

"We still have half a page to fill!"

Well, maybe not. In comics it's such a throwaway joke that nowadays I mostly only see them represented by a super-deformed character sneezing in a little blurb it the corner.

Going on the manzai train of thought, I'm guessing it's the whole offense-and-reaction style of comedy, then. The offense of "talking about someone behind their back" must be accentuated by the reaction of "sneezing".

sonicmj1

Has the "sneeze when someone talks about you behind your back" anime trope ever been useful?

It's always so pointless and a waste of a cut. It doesn't even save that much time since it's like 4-5 seconds at the most. Why is it so popular?

I agree 100%.

Puruzi

Banned
I liked the sneeze thing in an episode of Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, because Ash had sneezed when some tomboy girl was talking about how she liked him.

I liked her a whole lot and wanted them to be a thing, but I knew it would never happen

Hamst3r

Watched Kaiba
vangelion
today and it was a really interesting show. The Astro Boy-esque art style was neat. I think this would translate well into a point-n-click adventure game, like one by Amanita Design.

I'm also 10 episodes into Ullrecka Seven - Not really feelin' this one yet, but it seems like they're starting to explain more of what's going on.

Sterok

Aikatsu 173

Shion and Kaede finally live. Kaede just in time for Mizuki to choose flower girl again. Poor American. She should just settle down with her faithful vampire.

Cornbread78

Planetes ep.7-8
Overgrown loli Mabuchi, lol. Pretty interesting episodes, but still no central plotline. This plays out like a space SoL series but it's entertaining at least.

Tuck

Yona of the Dawn - 1
This... wasn't very good. Until the end, at least.

I don't know what I was expecting, but this wasn't it.

For some reason I had it in my heard that Yona was far more mature, cold and calculating. Instead she's a 9 year old girl in a 16 year old girl's body, crushing on her cousin. For the entire episode.

Uh... ok.

Anyways, the last few minutes were good. I figured Soo-Wan was gonna be evil and set things in motion. Not exactly the most original but it'll do.

Sounds like Soo-Wan has the same VA as Elam from Arslan. Actually, the whole show kind of reminds me or Arslan.

Also horrible opening song. Where the fuck is my j-pop?!

Eureka Seven is for dorks

I'll have to see your references for such a claim.

Yona of the Dawn - 1

For some reason I had it in my heard that Yona was far more mature, cold and calculating. Instead she's a 9 year old girl in a 16 year old girl's body, crushing on her cousin. For the entire episode.

Uh... ok.

Anyways, the last few minutes were good. I figured Soo-Wan was gonna be evil and set things in motion. Not exactly the most original but it'll do.

Sounds like Soo-Wan has the same VA as Elam from Arslan. Actually, the whole show kind of reminds me or Arslan.

Give it time. Yona shakes off her naivety pretty quick.

Assassination Classroom anime will do Takebayashi time and the chapter immediately after it are going to get animated (both came before Kayano Time episode), as four 5-minute episodes online. https://twitter.com/oricon/status/704109095536582657

Karmisa has an excellent cover!
tumblr_o3aefhRHrK1rfp5pbo1_500.jpg

Wanderer5

Funimation been kind of annoying for me with some screen freezes.:x But anyway watched the first two episodes of Dimension W. Interesting so far, especially the end of ep 2 that kind went mindfucked lol.

Mira is really cute despite the ass shots.XD

TUSR

Banned
Funimation been kind of annoying for me with some screen freezes.:x But anyway watched the first two episodes of Dimension W. Interesting so far, especially the end of ep 2 that kind went mindfucked lol.

Mira is really cute despite the ass shots.XD
J3pRSRJ.png

: (

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So the Love Live dub is kind of okay... totally surprised. They actually tried to be like their Japanese counterparts rather than just phone it in with their Californian accents that you get in most dubs.

Cornbread78

Yona of the Dawn - 1

Uh... ok.

Stick with it. There are some growing pains, but a really good adventure awaits.

Tamers is still the best Digimon storyline.

Savers had a better story, too.

But Cyber Sleuth's story was really great. It's definitely on par with the better seasons of the anime.

I'm only a little bit into Cyber Sleuth, but so far its story seems very much .hack.

Yona of the Dawn - 1

Uh... ok.

She's not a 9 year old girl; she's a pampered princess and behaves as you would expect a pampered princess to behave. Yona's character is actually one of my favorite things about the series, because she experiences meaningful and believable gradual character growth instead of being flawless from day 1 (*cough*Shirayuki*cough*)

I wouldn't be so quick to write off Su-won. The series is more nuanced than that.

If you really want your J-pop, you'll get it in episode 15.

Edit:

OK, I looked this up, and while Su-won's VA, Yusuke Kobayashi, does have a role in Arslan it's actually Arslan himself.

duckroll

I'm only a little bit into Cyber Sleuth, but so far its story seems very much .hack.

I think Cyber Sleuth approached the "how do we make a Digimon JRPG plot appeal to modern anime fans" issue in a pretty novel way. When it starts, the inspiration from .hack and SAO is immediately obvious. This might be a minus for those tired of this sort of story, but it's an effect hook for general audiences. How it develops from there though, is very interesting and uniquely Digimon. What I also like is how the design of EDEN seems greatly influenced by Hosoda's VR-World concepts used in Our War Game and Summer Wars.

Yeah, I can see that. The opening of the game definitely has a very .hack feel (Digimon actually already did the whole .hack thing back in Digimon World 3, even). But over the course of the game that feel gradually shifts into something different, and it becomes more of a traditional Digimon story, but one that is absolutely built on the foundation of those early chapters, and the Eden syndrome and the virtual world that has been created.

Cornbread78

Kare Kano ep.12
All about Tsubasa and her father's potential remarriage and family situation. I guess it was interesting to see our heroine's rival's backstory of brattyness.

Yona of the Dawn 23

Speaking of character development, the meeting between Su-won and Yona at the beginning of this episode was a good way of bringing things full circle, calling back to the last time they were together in the events in episode 1-2 while showing how far Yona has come since then. A fitting way to almost end the anime. Guess we need one more episode so we can squeeze the Yellow Dragon in though! (It's amusing that the OP has shown the four dragons all throughout the series, but they don't all show up in the anime proper until the very last episode.)

ibyea

Banned
Yona of the Dawn - 1

Uh... ok.

She starts out as a naive, spoiled princess. It's sort of the point, to take this person and convert her into a warrior. Just stick with it. Believe!

wonzo

Banned
konosuba 1-7

inoffensively self-aware but it still cant quite fully escape its genre trapping even with its main hook being terrible people owning themselves. it's one of the only visually interesting things i've seen this season so i'll stick with it till the end unless it gets really bad

ooya-san 1-8

was kinda worried this was one of "those" shows but it's more than varied enough to shake that off. hands down the sakuga show of the season especially with that op

No time for anime today, gaah. Got a job interview tomorrow for a coop bright and early so I wanted to make sure I was ready for the behavioral and technical questions. At least I am on my reading week, so I have no classes to worry about. I'll get through today's stuff plus Shirayuki tomorrow.

TUSR

Banned
No time for anime today, gaah. Got a job interview tomorrow for a coop bright and early so I wanted to make sure I was ready for the behavioral and technical questions. At least I am on my reading week, so I have no classes to worry about. I'll get through today's stuff plus Shirayuki tomorrow.

Good luck.

VRMN

...if those Love Live clips pass for a good dub, either the original dialog and delivery was equally cringeworthy or our standards have become so low that we'll accept just about anything resembling competence.

Cornbread78

Kick ass at the interview buddy.

Good luck! Do your best!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Someone should clip the segment from season 2 episode 6 where the girls pretend to be each other. It just shows that the actresses created defined characters with their voices.

Love Live dub sounds bad again. rip nico nico ni
Nicoooooooooooooooooooooo.

Please ban Love Live dub clips as well when the motion to ban tumblr gifs finally passes.
Go grow some space potatoes in your poop!

Yona of the Dawn 24 END

While the Yellow Dragon was kind of a baffling anticlimax after the stories of the other three dragons (I assume he gets more development in the manga eventually), the episode actually ended up being a better stopping point than I anticipated. It did a good job reflecting on the journey Yona's been through, consolidating the character and thematic work of the series and presenting new resolve for the future. And they did end by bookending the series with the same scene as the flashforward at the very beginning, so the anime staff was clearly planning this carefully. Great show overall. Time to hope for a season 2! (Or at least that this obviously skilled director goes on to do better things than that thing he's currently doing.)

I'll leave with the cutest image of the show:

Yes, damn it.

I don't get it. It doesn't sound better than a typical Sentai dub.

PK Gaming

Someone should clip the segment from season 2 episode 6 where the girls pretend to be each other. It just shows that the actresses created defined characters with their voices.

I think someone did clip that segment, but I can't be arsed to find it. The VAs really seem to hit their stride in S2 though (for obvious reasons).

I don't get it. It doesn't sound better than a typical Sentai dub.

The background dialogue between Nico and Rin flows more naturally than in the subbed version, which was what I was trying to get at—the script is better. The voice acting is clearly worse.

I don't think that dub sounds too bad.

But then again I don't have any reference for the original, and I typically don't judge the voice acting of kid characters very hard, due to the difficulty of voicing kid characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom