• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dragon Ball Super 33

Dragon Ball being 30 years old makes me feel more then Pokemon being 20 years old.

Little disappointed that Goku beat Winnie the Pooh in 8 minutes real time. I had to reread this sentence 20 times to make sure I was actually talking about Dragon Ball. If it turned out Goku had another heart attack at the end of the match I'm gonna laugh.

Next episode looks pretty cool with Piccolo trying to fight while charging the Special Beam Cannon at the same time and doing clone shit. I don't expect much from DB fights but it looks neat.

Sölf

Yona of the Dawn 22 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> All of Soma

Not sure. But Yona is really great. I am still only at half of the manga, but you should definitly start reading that. It's so damn good.

And yeah, Yona > Shirayuki. I found the latter so damn boring, but then again I probably had really high (and wrong) expecations after Yona (and Soredemo, which was also pretty cool).

Yona of the Dawn 22 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> All of Soma

I absolutely loved how the ending theme started during that last scene and into the credits. The new OP sucks but the new ED is excellent and it gave me goosebumps.

The manga is highly recommended. Shit gets so real right after where the anime leaves off. And just when you think it cant get better, it keeps reaching new heights.

Sölf

But does Yona of the Dawn have Prince Raj?

Yona of the Dawn has Ao. All arguments are irrelevant.

latest

Chindogg

Grimgar ep.8
Although the crying over Minato is getting a little old now, the battle with the goblins was pretty good. I can see they are starting to work on a "Hal" x Mary ship too.

I think this is gonna be the last time they cry over Minato. They did what they needed to do to avenge him and now they're moving forward.

Yume's already into Hal and Mary's now going in. How much longer until witch girl gets in on the thief action?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Funimation is short of money and needs to use Kickstarter?

Wow, that new logo was more expensive than I first thought.

Rainbow Days Episode 8
tumblr_o39qswov8n1qam6y9o4_540.gif

The whole episode was so unoriginal but I loved it so much especially the misunderstanding. Thankfully Hashiba knows what to do always.

Club Rainbow Episode 8

Eguchi laughed twice and it was glorious. Why doesn't he laugh like that in his anime character roles, lol. Adorable. And he was even dressed up, best looking VA.
CcVr340WoAEseGa.jpg

I absolutely loved how the ending theme started during that last scene and into the credits. The new OP sucks but the new ED is excellent and it gave me goosebumps.

Absolutely. When the show pulls off a smooth transition into the ED or playing the ED credits/song over the episode proper, it's always really good.

The manga is highly recommended. Shit gets so real right after where the anime leaves off. And just when you think it cant get better, it keeps reaching new heights.

I might start reading that, since I'm invested in the story now and it's clear the anime is going to leave things dangling. Though much of what I enjoy about the show are things the anime brought to the table - the backgrounds, the music, the quality of the overall direction - so it won't be the same.

Line_HTX

Funimation is short of money and needs to use Kickstarter?

Wow, that new logo was more expensive than I first thought.

That is one ugly ass Pikachu hybrid.

Happy 20th anniversary, Pokemon! I don't even remember how many movies there are, I just stopped after the 4th movie.

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth is probably the best Digimon storyline since the original Digimon Adventure anime. Why aren't more of you playing it?!

Tamers is still the best Digimon storyline.

Savers had a better story, too.

But Cyber Sleuth's story was really great. It's definitely on par with the better seasons of the anime.

Sölf

Akame ga Kill 3

I enjoy the action and world but guild interaction is just awful. They're all either boring or unlikable.

Enjoy it until episode 17 or 19 or what it was. Then it goes into anime only territory which is just shit. Switch to the manga and forget the last ~7 anime episodes exist.

Ascheroth

Dimension W - 08

That was pretty cool. The short scene within the nothingness was damn intense.

Grimgar - 08

7e5C1ke.jpg

Look at those peaceful fuckers, what did they ever do to you?

All around nice episode.
The battle with the goblins was nice, although the insert song was horribly unfitting.
Mary is now really part of the team and looks like they've finally managed to move past Manato.
Also it seems like Ranta is getting less and less annoying, which is much appreciated.

Grimgar ep.8
Although the crying over Minato is getting a little old now, the battle with the goblins was pretty good. I can see they are starting to work on a "Hal" x Mary ship too.

Well he's a thief, he's obviously going to steal their hearts~

...I'll see myself out now.

Aki-at

Assassination Classroom - 8
This was of my favourite arcs in the manga and
I felt it ended way too quickly, which is a damn shame. Guess they really do want to conclude the series this season.
Cool fight though, but I swear it lasted longer in the manga, need to go back to it.

Dimension W - 8
Really nice to see that the
majority of collectors made it through to the island.
Nice action finally and the conclusion to the episode looks like there's going to be more.

Lupin the Third (2015) - 19
Things are getting pretty interesting now, I'm happy how the series is weaving in and out of an interconnected plotline so we still get some stand alone episodes. The
Lupin and Nix team up wasn't as great as I thought it would be with the latter injured for most of the episode
but the
fight between Nix and Percival was great!
I'd think the fight scene would have been one

Grimgar - 8
These goblins really have more character than most shows I can think of, I'd like to think they were in a deep philosophical discussion before their game of chess was ruined :p

A fantastic fight and my favourite battle this season, it had tension, twists and turns with great animation (except for a few dodgy moments) I must admit, I am getting fed up with how much they keep dwelling on Manato and the only major drag in this episode. Also I approve of the
Haru and Mary shipping.

Though one thing that has been bothering for the last few episodes is... Haruhiro sideface, the position of his eye always seems off or too big.

Is it really? I've seen so much shade thrown at the writing in Cyber Sleuth.

It's honestly not bad at all. As a Digimon story in an RPG aimed towards adult fans it definitely works. They didn't just take a random Persona/SMT or Compile Heart game and slap Digimon on it, the Digimon aspect of the game's story is very large.

Cornbread78

Grimgar - 08
Well he's a thief, he's obviously going to steal their hearts~

...I'll see myself out now.

Lol, I can't even be mad...

I think this is gonna be the last time they cry over Minato. They did what they needed to do to avenge him and now they're moving forward.

Yume's already into Hal and Mary's now going in. How much longer until witch girl gets in on the thief action?

Hopefully,
that graveyard
scene was it, they seem to visually imply that when Ranta and crew started walking away...

There's enough source material for a second cour, right? The next step has to be to go over the beast that
killed Mary's friends.
Also, yeah, Yui x Mary x Hal love triangle incoming soon. Maybe Shiori will want in as well and we get a harem out of it.

Is it really? I've seen so much shade thrown at the writing in Cyber Sleuth.

From what I hear, the localization is pretty awful (I played it in Japanese, so I can only comment second hand on this). But the storyline in Cyber Sleuth was really good. The plot developed nicely, with some great twists and turns, the themes the game developed fit the idea of a "more mature Digimon story" while retaining the essential essence of what makes Digimon work, and the characters are all likable and have quality arcs.

Cyber Sleuth really does a great job at breaking down what makes Digimon "Digimon" in the first half, and then building it back up over the second half of the game. And as it does this, the plot really builds up in the second half, with a lot of really surprising twists, and a storyline that does a great job at moving from one moment to the next.

Sölf;197046817 said:
This is true. But Arslan also fills that void. Maybe even a bit better.

I enjoyed the first few episodes of Arslan a lot, but I heard it got kind of meh as it progressed. I've been meaning to finish that series one day. Perhaps when I'm done with all 3 paths in FE:Fates and need something to scratch the itch.

Absolutely. When the show pulls off a smooth transition into the ED or playing the ED credits/song over the episode proper, it's always really good.

I might start reading that, since I'm invested in the story now and it's clear the anime is going to leave things dangling. Though much of what I enjoy about the show are things the anime brought to the table - the backgrounds, the music, the quality of the overall direction - so it won't be the same.

Thats true. They really nailed the soundtrack and voices of the characters, and Ao is ridiculously cute in the anime. However, since the chance of multiple seasons to finish the story is extremely slim, manga is the only way to move forward.

I'd love another season at least so I can see some of my favorite scenes animated.

Wanderer5

Man Death Parade was so wonderful, even through what was the larger conflict in the background sadly fizzled out by the end. Thankfully the main focus that was Decim and black haired woman
Chiyuki
along with the guests they encounter was really stellar and had a fulfilling end. Definitely becoming a favorite, and the opening is sure hell one of the best for me, despite kind of contrasting with the tone of the anime.XD

Think it time to look at something from this winter season. Have my eyes on Dimension W and Erased for now, so how have they been turning out?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Has the "sneeze when someone talks about you behind your back" anime trope ever been useful?

It's always so pointless and a waste of a cut. It doesn't even save that much time since it's like 4-5 seconds at the most. Why is it so popular?

From what I hear, the localization is pretty awful (I played it in Japanese, so I can only comment second hand on this). But the storyline in Cyber Sleuth was really good. The plot developed nicely, with some great twists and turns, the themes the game developed fit the idea of a "more mature Digimon story" while retaining the essential essence of what makes Digimon work, and the characters are all likable and have quality arcs.

Cyber Sleuth really does a great job at breaking down what makes Digimon "Digimon" in the first half, and then building it back up over the second half of the game. And as it does this, the plot really builds up in the second half, with a lot of really surprising twists, and a storyline that does a great job at moving from one moment to the next.

You're selling me on this game. If only it wasn't so long.

Russ T

Banned
Has the "sneeze when someone talks about you behind your back" anime trope ever been useful?

It's always so pointless and a waste of a cut. It doesn't even save that much time since it's like 4-5 seconds at the most. Why is it so popular?

I've seen it used to hyperbolic excess in such a way that it was actually funny.

But yeah just the standard quick-cut is really tired. I'm almost as sick of that as I am of the nose-bleeds.

duckroll

if anyone wanted WAS -The Hourglass of Lepidoptera- off of steam and was waiting on it to go on sale you might not want to wait anymore.

kickstarter update with why it was cancelled.

Wow wtf happened here? Sounds like the doujin circle tried to pull some shady stuff. I wonder if we'll ever get the full story.

You're selling me on this game. If only it wasn't so long.

It's not really that long. I mean it's an average length 40 hour JRPG, with a lot of stuff that can double that if you're into collecting everything, but we're not exactly talking about a 60 hour story here...

Haly

But yeah just the standard quick-cut is really tired. I'm almost as sick of that as I am of the nose-bleeds.

The nose bleed, at least, has value as a metaphor, and there's infinite ways to riff on it. I've never seen the sneeze used for anything interesting.

Russ T

Banned
The nose bleed, at least, has value as a metaphor, and there's infinite ways to riff on it. I've never seen the sneeze used for anything interesting.

Fair enough, but it's just over-used and is never done with as quick as the sneeze. Not to say I haven't laughed at it recently, but, eh.

It's mostly a simple narrative vessel for scene transitions. It's a lazier version of something like the ironic transition of "Person A would never do that!" before cutting to a scene of Person A doing exactly that.

Unless the scene is there only to exclusively shows the person in question sneezing before transitioning back; then that's just a weird gag.

Haly

Unless the scene is there only to exclusively shows the person in question sneezing before transitioning back; then that's just a weird, lazy gag.

Yeah this is what I'm talking about.

Scene A, character 1 mentions character 2.

Cut to Scene B, character 2 sneezes, character 3 comments on it and asks if they caught a cold. Sometimes they directly refer to someone speaking behind their back.

Cut back to Scene A, rest of it plays out

???? What's even the point ????

Yeah this is what I'm talking about.

Scene A, character 1 mentions character 2.

Cut to Scene B, character 2 sneezes, character 3 comments on it and asks if they caught a cold. Sometimes they directly refer to someone speaking behind their back.

Cut back to Scene A, rest of it plays out

???? What's even the point ????

Either the writer thinks showing what character 2 is doing at that time is important, however brief (like at the beginning character 2 said they want to go to Timbuktu, and the sneezing scene shows a brief scene of them on a raft)...

Or "we are still short 15 seconds of running time!"

I dunno. It's a strictly Japanese thing but its never clever.

I dunno. It's a strictly Japanese thing but its never clever.

It's just a cultural thing, like the whole manzai style of humor that so many non-Japanese hate.

Either the writer thinks showing what character 2 is doing at that time is important, however brief (like at the beginning character 2 said they want to go to Timbuktu, and the sneezing scene shows a brief scene of them on a raft)...

Or "we are still short 15 seconds of running time!"

It happens in manga just as much as anime, so it's not something that was invented just to fill time.

Cornbread78

Freezing ep.10-END S1
Well, those final few episodes were a mess, but actually pretty good overall. As a continuation from the first episode, this show is a bloody ecchi mess throughout, but even with the trash, it stays interesting and entertaining enough to keep following to tge end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom