• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next season's trash is another man's ... well, I guess it's worth watching list

Uchuu Patrol Luluco #triggered
Boku No Hero Academia (isn't this supposed to be next season's big show)
Bakuon (thick eyebrows? yes)
Netoge blablahblahlongtitle (I read the manga back when this anime was first announced)

My favorite part about Netoge(?)
he's actually technically been friends with his haremettes for a long time but never knew it because lol IRL

Grimgar 08

I'm really getting tired of watching these fools kill goblins.

Koukaku no Pandora 08

Nice split of comedy followed by a serious situation. Really enjoyed all the scene that revolved around them trying to escape the fire and the decisions Clar-ing and Nene made. Old Clar-ing not as heartless as she appeared!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So I know almost nothing about the Empire of Corpses film.

I know nothing about its quality.

But I do know one thing.

One character in it has some next level eyebrows.

He must be even more of an adult than Commander Amarao.
You've seen the best of what that film has to offer.

Do not watch it. It's total codswallop.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Phantom World 7 -

Am I the only one who would have been like "Na we good, we don't need to fix this"? I would have probably gone to the phantom itself and been like "Keep up the good work!"

vpvb3PD.gif

duckroll

God Eater - Episode 9

And that's that. Out of episodes, gotta wait until Saturday like everyone else now. I'm glad I only watched this now rather than when it was airing, because this wasn't a particularly good place to just stop airing for 6 months, lol.

I liked this episode too. I expected Soma's backstory to be pretty edgy, given how he has all these bad attitude vibes, but that's still some sad shit. I wonder if there are more flashbacks to come, or if they have served their purpose, since Soma and the creation of the God Arcs is pretty much the final step of the backstory before where we are now. Although, I guess Johannes still has secrets, like what the Aegis Project is -really- about. No doubt it involves something really stupid and inhumane, just to show what a monster he has truly become.

Can't stop rolling my eyes at how ridiculously bad the Alisa storyline continues to be though. So now it's not just going to be PTSD, she's going to have subliminal conditioning inside her which will no doubt be triggered near the end at a dramatic moment, to fuck everything up. Great. Woohoo. Go sick a dick writers! >_<

Lenka seems to be taking the bad news about his mortality really well. I guess maybe he, like the audience, is pretty much convinced that it's all probably a lie, given how unstoppable he has been so far. Maybe his repaired and upgraded God Arc will absorb the core of the Black Vajra in the final episode, and unleash a glorious light that will not only save humanity by wiping out all Aragami, but also cure all illnesses and repair all the damage to his cells. Yeah, I bet that would be so cool and heroic!
Please don't do this Ufotable!

From the looks of things, when the show returns on Saturday, we're getting a Lenka flashback first? That's certainly something I would look forward to. The show spends so little time actually telling people about how things are, instead simply implying what things are like, or outright showing it. So we've seen very little about what goes out outside of the walls, especially without a safe haven community like the one we saw with Rindou.

sonicmj1

God Eater 7

Boy, they really don't want Alisa to do anything, do they? At this point it feels insulting. This isn't how you do your Asuka archetype. She literally spends the episode cowering in a closet. She hasn't figured out any coping mechanisms for her PTSD? Even ineffective ones? It's a shitty thing to do to a once-competent character two episodes in a row in order to give the lead the entire spotlight, and it's a pretty shitty portrayal of mental illness in general.

Of course, the episode (and the show, sadly) isn't really about her. This is where Lenka is supposed to learn how to be a better God Eater by listening to Lindow's platitudes. He's got this kind of savior complex (like every male protagonist from a Ufotable show Type-Moon adaptation), but he hasn't learned to channel it in ways more productive than throwing his body in front of a monster and waving a sword around.

I don't think this episode led to much meaningful growth in that respect (which... you'd hope the brutal ass-kicking he took earlier would have taught him something), but it was another great example of showing, not telling us about another potential way for humanity to exist in this harsh, dying world. We're shown both how the society functions, how it requires a different outlook towards Aragami in general than you'd get at Fenrir, and even a possible connection between Lindow's current actions and the past research we've been seeing.

I wish this great animation and storytelling could be applied to something besides a post-apocalyptic story about building up a brooding kid who wants to kill evil monsters.

Tuck

Trying to kill off the best character? Yuod rather see a characters die than not have a romance.

No no you misunderstand. I want to see Hak die because I love him.

It would be beautiful. He doesn't have to die until the end. He and Yona can get married. They certainly have the chemistry. But then he can just disappear, right in front of her eyes as she looks on, knowing it was going to happen.

Then she can leave the Kingdom she faught so hard for to become a wanderer for the rest of her life, and the final scene can show two other characters thanking him and wondering where he is.

It would be beautiful.

sonicmj1

God Eater 8

You predicted there was an exit from this underground structure built by humans? You're so amazing Lenka!

A pincer attack? What tactical genius, Lenka!

Your God Arc broke? It's just because you're too awesome for this world, Lenka!

Lenka, you're the coolest person ever!

It would be beautiful. He doesn't have to die until the end. He and Yona can get married. They certainly have the chemistry. But then he can just disappear, right in front of her eyes as she looks on, knowing it was going to happen.

Then she can leave the Kingdom she faught so hard for to become a wanderer for the rest of her life, and the final scene can show two other characters thanking him and wondering where he is.

It would be beautiful.

What is this, Jun Maeda?

It would be beautiful.

???

So basically you're saying that you want your favorite character to die so you can have a tragic ending.

It would be beautiful.
This is the most interesting thing I've read in this thread in a while.

It would be beautiful.

That gurren lagann ending was pretty bullshit

JulianImp

Rakugo #8
This show's just too good, but being Kiku's wannabe lover sure is suffering. Seeing all these different characters interact with one another in their own ways is really appealing, and it was nice to see how our two rakugo performers have each grown to find their own style and love for their art as well as the promise they shared in the end.

Phantom World 7 -

Am I the only one who would have been like "Na we good, we don't need to fix this"? I would have probably gone to the phantom itself and been like "Keep up the good work!"

&#12381;&#12358;&#12391;&#12377;&#12395;&#12419;&#12353;&#12316;

I'm inclined to agree, but given what was happening to the little girl with the bear I think they'd all have ended up devolving into cats including the MC, and I don't think spending the rest of your life as a cat would actually be that interesting (even though he never grew cat ears and tail himself because it was obviously an excuse plot point for the sake of fanservice from the very beginning).

Phantom World is a fun show, but in a particularily trashy way that not even KonoSuba comes close to IMO. It's all about getting the girls into fanservice-y situations using glorious KyoAni animation but a trash-tier plot, which makes it kind of a waste for me.

It would be beautiful.
You start with this, and next thing you know you're
god
Nadeko
killing your platonic love for your own personal gain.

Puruzi

Banned
I used to think the GL ending was dumb but when I saw the amount of hate it gets online it retroactively made it hilarious

JulianImp

I used to think the GL ending was dumb but when I saw the amount of hate it gets online it retroactively made it hilarious

I did like the epilogue scene with an old Simon about to say his trademark "who the hell do you think I am?" to a little boy and then interrupting himself mid-sentence an saying that maybe he wasn't all that important anyway. I think that was a great moment on its own.

The whole
Nia disappearing right after her wedding with Simon
stuff felt really rough after the cast had gone through all they did, but it kind of made sense with the whole coming of age theme since coming to terms with losing the people close to you is also a part of life.

Way too often shows give the MCs a fitting reward for completing their quest and do the whole "happily ever after" thing, so an ending where Simon managed to fulfill his duty and got to be happy for a bit but ultimately had to cope with not everything being nice and dandy was an interesting subversion that made sense, and isn't all that bad. After all, the whole "happily ever after" thing is, in my opinion, an annoying cliche that stems from a narrow-minded meritocratic way of seeing things. I don't mean all shows have to be cynical and end up with the MC getting nothing to show for all their struggles or a fleeting reward that leaves a hole in their heart after it's gone, though; it's just that seeing such a straightforward shounen show do away with that trope was really refreshing for me.

jonjonaug

savage

Iron Blooded Orphans 21

I've heard about what would happen but didn't want to believe it. Good mech battles at least albeit not as good as ones in space.

I should really watch more mecha.
Try VOTOMS if you haven't. That's a cool mecha show with cool fights.

I actually kind of don't get the amount of hate that TTGL's ending gets.

Like, yeah I understand that that happening at the last second is some major Gainax bullshit, but what impressed me was how all the characters, Simon especially, responded to it.

They weren't screaming in total despair or anything, they genuinely accepted it as an inevitability and moved on. Simon even has the power to undo what happened but chooses not to, knowing that it'd make life meaningless and just interfere with the next generation.

It's a level a maturity that shows just how much the character grew since the beginning of the show. And for me, that's just another one of TTGL's triumphs and another example of why it's a truly great show.

Maybe that kind of thinking is what Tuck is talking about, but for me I'd say fully expecting and wanting something like that will only lessen the experience.

Tuck

The ending of GL wrecked me. I felt physically ill. I guess I was more attached to the characters than I had thought.

I want to feel that suffering again.

Therefore Hak must die.

tuffy

The whole
Nia disappearing right after her wedding with Simon
stuff felt really rough after the cast had gone through all they did, but it kind of made sense with the whole coming of age theme since coming to terms with losing the people close to you is also a part of life.
I could see where they were going with it, but that implementation winds up pissing people off because she has no agency in any of it. It just feels like a cheap last-minute rug pull instead of something that could've been telegraphed as a significant choice earlier in the show - like some sort of inverted deus ex machina to contrive a bittersweet ending.

Cornbread78

The ending of GL wrecked me. I felt physically ill. I guess I was more attached to the characters than I had thought.

I want to feel that suffering again.

Therefore Hak must die.

It all makes sense now...

Now on TTGL. I get why people appreciate the "anti-trope" ending as being "something different" and maybe helps build the lore/allure of the show for some. However, I was pretty attached to Simon by the end and wanted the best for him since life was suffering for him throughout the whole ordeal. Just when he finally
finds his own true love and gets what he really wants out of life, it was pulled right back out from him...What, no, not fair!
Regardless of his reaction to it, as a fan watching, you want better for him. Even those later scenes
showing him wandering still alone are sad. Nia should have been his co-pilot through those scenes and they could have had a family together

Now on TTGL. I get why people appreciate the "anti-trope" ending as being "something different" and maybe helps build the lore/allure of the show for some. However, I was pretty attached to Simon by the end and wanted the best for him since life was suffering for him throughout the whole ordeal. Just when he finally
finds his own true love and gets what he really wants out of life, it was pulled right back out from him...What, no, not fair!
Regardless of his reaction to it, as a fan watching, you want better for him. Even those later scenes
showing him wandering still alone are sad. Nia should have been his co-pilot through those scenes and they could have had a family together

I understand how you feel completely.

You should watch G Gundam so you'll feel better.

Majin Bone 29

I do wish the character art was this good all the time.

The show has become rather sloppy about maintaining the distinction between Japanese and the language of Nepos, but oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom