• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
I've been campaigning for this to be on the list for AGES! Did everyone miss my post about how it has a more nonsensically dark ending than School Days?

cosmicblizzard said:
To give a comparison, imagine if Spongebob ended with a mind-broken Sandy being sold as a sex slave, Patrick found decapitated in a gutter, Squidward arrested for eating babies, and Spongebob killing Mr. Krabs and hollowing out his corpse so he can live on as his boss and no one ever finds out. That's pretty much the equivalent of how this ended.

Reading that episode summary, this description sounds about right.

pbayne

I will say that because of the Shoujo markets, manga in specific is in general better then a lot of mediums when it comes to representation of women and series that actually cater to women. There are a ton of famous, successful and respected women mangaka - Rumiko Takahasi, Hiromu Arakawa, Hagio Moto, Riyoko Ikeda, the entirety of CLAMP, Naoko Takeuchi, Kozue Amano, Kaoru Mori, Machiko Hasegawa...

But a shit ton of shoujo get adaptations.

And most of their protagonists are better than Ange.

Like Sakura from CCS, Hana-Wolf Children, Haruhi-Ouran, Kino-Kino's Journey, Hajime-Gatchaman, Yona-Yona of the Dawn etc.

Fuck is even say generic shoujo protagonist like Sadako is better.

brawly

Kaiji S2 - END

nutbladder_kaiji_s2_-_26_eb3bf433-mkv_snapshot_20-25_2011-09-28_17-52-28.jpg

Real talk, that was a great ending. Overall enjoyed it quite a lot, binged the hell out of it.

Gonna dive into the manga soon

Cornbread78

Konosuba ep.8
8sA9DRB.jpg
CYAaLe1.jpg

This show continues to be hilarious and make me laugh throughout each episode. The evil dolls from Rozen Maiden invading the home was obvious and hilarious at the same time. They were all look-alikes mixed in the evil sprit crowd. Aqua is a bully, but gets leveled by Kazuma constantly. Also Megumin and Kazuma are a great team as well and provide great comical interactions as always.

LOL, I can't wait for SAOIII. I can't wait to make that OT. Full of backstory and previews. It will need a mod on staff to maintain order each week. It will be glorious.

holy shit @ master of martial hearts

read about some of that shit and what the actual fuck

I'm telling you wiki scumming that show is nothing. The final episode of Master of Martial Hearts is amazing. I don't even think you could ruin it by straight up telling people what it is because of how baffling, hilarious and terrible the execution is. I'm still reeling from it to this day. I think I counted twenty-three twists in like, 10 minutes.

Puruzi

Banned
I'm telling you wiki scumming that show is nothing. The final episode of Master of Martial Hearts is amazing. I don't even think you could ruin it by straight up telling people what it is because of how baffling, hilarious and terrible the execution is.

I hit up Tvtropes but i'll probably watch it because WHAT

I will say that because of the Shoujo markets, manga in specific is in general better then a lot of mediums when it comes to representation of women and series that actually cater to women. There are a ton of famous, successful and respected women mangaka - Rumiko Takahasi, Hiromu Arakawa, Hagio Moto, Riyoko Ikeda, the entirety of CLAMP, Naoko Takeuchi, Kozue Amano, Kaoru Mori, Machiko Hasegawa...
I'd argue that shojo tends to be just as sexist, if not more so, than Shonen. I would not go to most shojo manga for positive, empowered depictions of women

I'd argue that shojo tends to be just as sexist, if not more so, than Shonen. I would not go to most shojo manga for positive, empowered depictions of women

Definitely true for some works. I won't deny that. I'm saying that the manga industry caters to women and LBGT in ways a lot of others do not. I guess you could group the otome game market and stuff like that in there too. If anyone thinks I'm way off bat they can say so.

Do I smell a joke let's watch in the works?

It's very NSFW obviously.

wonzo

Banned
awo backlog update: they invited some idiot that triples down on defending the horrid sailor moon dvds/bds after a slate of episodes focused on reviews of throwaway cg anime movie adapatations

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I mean, who else is there? Utena (though I think Nanami and Anthy are stronger characters) Revy, Makoto Kusanagi, Noriko, Lal'c, Holo, Hajime, Togome from Katanagatari, Faye Valentine? I think that's about it for who I can think of off of what I've seen. It says more about anime itself then Cross Ange. Like most anime characters, look at the popular ones and you will see that people like them for how badass they are. I should probably watch/read more Shoujo and Josei, though. That seems to be the areas where it shines through.
I don't really know what "who else is there?" even means, outside of being supremely dismissive to the literally hundreds if not thousands of shows that don't drag their fictional women through every atrocity imaginable for kicks and laughs.
awo backlog update: they invited some idiot that triples down on defending the horrid sailor moon dvds/bds after a slate of episodes focused on reviews of throwaway cg anime movie adapatations
I can't even listen to the show anymore.

I mean, who else is there? Utena (though I think Nanami and Anthy are stronger characters) Revy, Makoto Kusanagi, Noriko, Lal'c, Holo, Hajime, Togome from Katanagatari, Faye Valentine? I think that's about it for who I can think of off of what I've seen. It says more about anime itself then Cross Ange. Like most anime characters, look at the popular ones and you will see that people like them for how badass they are. I should probably watch/read more Shoujo and Josei, though. That seems to be the areas where it shines through.

You really do need to watch more anime if those are all the good female characters you can think of.

You really do need to watch more anime if those are all the good female characters you can think of.

I don't really know what "who else is there?" even means, outside of being supremely dismissive to the literally hundreds if not thousands of shows that don't drag their fictional women through every atrocity imaginable for kicks and laughs.

I mean you're probably right. I'm half joking and half serious about what I say about Cross Ange. I dunno how to really put what I feel about the series into words because theres the shameless and bad part which I enjoy and the weirdly good parts which I also enjoy.

Can't believe you put LOTGH on hold to watch The Rose of Versailles instead.

I didn't? I'm watching both at the same time.

Crocodile

Funny that FMA: Brotherhood gets too much flack for a happy ending and TTGL gets to much flack for a downer ending. I thought both endings made perfect sense within the context of their shows and were earned. I think the contrast works especially well in TTGL.

As an aside, if Rossiu was in any other anime or like a "Real Robot" show instead of a "Super Robot" show, his actions would have made sense and been justified. He would have still been an asshole but he would have been right. Of course, he lives in a "Super Robot" universe so LOL

So I decide to count how many "Number of Thread with Anime in the Title in Offtopic (Community and General)"

So what does this mean? Probably nothing, I am just bored :v

It means anime is taking over. I for one welcome out new anime overlords

ryuuko is the best female protagonist

No

EDIT: What in the fuck at cosmicblizzard's description of the ending of Master of Martial Arts?

Funny that FMA: Brotherhood gets too much flack for a happy ending and TTGL gets to much flack for a downer ending. I thought both endings made perfect sense within the context of their shows and were earned. I think the contrast works especially well in TTGL.

I don't mind the happy ending per se in Brotherhood, but the finale arc leading up to it was so excruciatingly painful to sit through that I had already checked out and didn't really care what happened to the characters at that point, so the final episode just came across as lame.

I'm telling you wiki scumming that show is nothing. The final episode of Master of Martial Hearts is amazing. I don't even think you could ruin it by straight up telling people what it is because of how baffling, hilarious and terrible the execution is. I'm still reeling from it to this day. I think I counted twenty-three twists in like, 10 minutes.

Moreso that it comes after watching 4 completely mediocre episodes. Even going in knowing that the final episode is supposed to be some crazy amazing ending, the prior four episodes are so generic and mediocre that it elevates the ending even further.

I will never forget.

Crocodile

but what if I said yes

You'd still be wrong <3

I don't mind the happy ending per se in Brotherhood, but the finale arc leading up to it was so excruciatingly painful to sit through that I had already checked out and didn't really care what happened to the characters at that point, so the final episode just came across as lame.

Was it the pacing? Too many "DYNAMIC ENTRY!" moments?

Ascheroth

Konosuba - 08

I'm not sure how I feel about them skipping over an event that both introduces a character that is relevant this episode and is relevant to this episode itself (literally for the punchline) only to talk about it in a ~5 second flashback in a 'remember that time, when we...' fashion.
It... kinda works, but I'm pretty certain a couple scenes weren't as funny as they could have been.
Still fun though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is it me or does the Skip Beat kickstarter make the Escaflowne one seem like even more of a scam?

This is the first time I've seen this particularly phrase. Hah.

javac

Belladonna of Sadness
Hardcover Book, approx. 220 pages

Standard: $60
Limited Edition: $120
The Limited Edition includes the upcoming Blu-ray release of the restored feature film by Cinelicious Pics; the official U.S. theatrical one-sheet 27 × 39 inch poster; an alternate theatrical poster featuring artwork only available with the limited edition; a Belladonna enamel jewelry pin; and a promotional postcard.

Buy: Hat & Beard Press
Been waiting for this one.

Belladonna of Sadness, the final film in the adult-oriented Animerama trilogy, is one of the great forgotten masterpieces of Japanese anime. Loosely inspired by Jules Michelet&#8217;s 1862 history of witchcraft and the occult, La Sorcière, Belladonna of Sadness tells the story of a young woman who makes a pact with the devil to exact revenge after being raped and driven from her home. This brief synopsis, however, does no justice to the visual spectacle of the film, which proceeds as a series of still images flashing onscreen. Spectacular watercolor paintings by Kuni Fukai, marry the art nouveau artifice of artists like Aubrey Beardsley to &#8217;60s psychedelia; the film&#8217;s North American distributor, Cinelicious Pics, describes it as &#8220;equal parts J.R.R. Tolkien and gorgeous, explicit Gustav Klimt-influenced eroticism.&#8221; A legendary cult classic, Belladonna of Sadness has never been officially released in the United States&#8212;until now. This publication accompanies the restored film&#8217;s North American release.

Cornbread78

G Gundam ep.1
gAXCgVQ.gif

So, the time has come. I finally started this one off o break this afternoon and will continue watching it for awhile. Right of the back you can tell this is pretty old from the narration, to the OP and ED, then the VAs almost echo when they give their lines; it's all very early 90's style anime/cartoons. Looking back, it's amazing how far they have come when watching Kare Kano and now this. All I gotta say is at least the dude got his pizza by the end of the episode, because he deserved it saving that kid multiple times and not completely destroying their city. The MC is going to be a little crazy, isn't he?

JulianImp

Wait, people hated on Brotherhood's ending? I think it was pretty good, and fit into how the show developed its characters and the generally positive outlook it has on things: The cast whent through a lot of shit, and they all had some low points (Scar getting obsessed with destruction, Kimblee being a murderous psychopath, Alphonse doubting his very existence, and so on), but the show made it clear that most of them had some good in them. (end-game spoilers ahead)
Kimblee was the one who put a stop to Pride after it was throwing away its namesake just to survive, Scar learned to embrace creation and Alphonse regained his truth in his brother and even sacrificed his vessel body to help him beat Father.
The seven vices all got ironic deaths tied to the sin they represented, and in the end all characters had gone through their own kinds of development that fit who they were.

Crocodile

Wait, people hated on Brotherhood's ending? I think it was pretty good, and fit into how the show developed its characters and the generally positive outlook it has on things: The cast whent through a lot of shit, and they all had some low points (Scar getting obsessed with destruction, Kimblee being a murderous psychopath, Alphonse doubting his very existence, and so on), but the show made it clear that most of them had some good in them. (end-game spoilers ahead)
Kimblee was the one who put a stop to Pride after it was throwing away its namesake just to survive, Scar learned to embrace creation and Alphonse regained his truth in his brother and even sacrificed his vessel body to help him beat Father.
The seven vices all got ironic deaths tied to the sin they represented, and in the end all characters had gone through their own kinds of development that fit who they were.

I agree with everything you said but FMA: Brotherhood's ending comes up as a sour point frequently in our seasonal "FMA 03 vs FMA: Brotherhood" discussions.

JulianImp

I agree with everything you said but FMA: Brotherhood's ending comes up as a sour point frequently in our seasonal "FMA 03 vs FMA: Brotherhood" discussions.

I heard the manga ended on chapter 108, which probably ties into religious and philosophical points of view of the author. I don't know much about her nor buddhism, but the show did stick hard to the Rosseau was right trope, which is commendable rather than using it in a half-assed way at seemingly random times for the plot's convenience.

As far as I remember, every named character who was originally portrayed in a negative light got the chance to redeem him/herself in some way by the end, except for the homunculi (which represented sins) and that professor who made chimeras with his wife and daugher. Fuck that guy.

pbayne

Gintama 312

Something weird happened. I looked a Shinpachi in this episode and I can't remember anything about him except glasses.

Also after the last arc is Yatagarusa kind of the main antagonist now?
I mean Takasugi is kind of in between, anti-hero atm.

Chindogg

G Gundam ep.1
gAXCgVQ.gif

So, the time has come. I finally started this one off o break this afternoon and will continue watching it for awhile. Right of the back you can tell this is pretty old from the narration, to the OP and ED, then the VAs almost echo when they give their lines; it's all very early 90's style anime/cartoons. Looking back, it's amazing how far they have come when watching Kare Kano and now this. All I gotta say is at least the dude got his pizza by the end of the episode, because he deserved it saving that kid multiple times and not completely destroying their city. The MC is going to be a little crazy, isn't he?

Welcome to the best Gundam story by far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom