• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

I understand how you feel completely.

You should watch G Gundam so you'll feel better.

It's definitely on my "Bully the backlog list" for this year and maybe I'll start it soon, but with 50 episodes, I probably won't finish until the summer, when I will have time to watch and fully react.

Most of my posts done after business hours are really short because I stream and post from phone while working, so it keeps things really short. From what I hear, I'll have a LOT of questions as I watch it, lol.

BTW, almost time for Konosuba!

sonicmj1

Now on TTGL. I get why people appreciate the "anti-trope" ending as being "something different" and maybe helps build the lore/allure of the show for some. However, I was pretty attached to Simon by the end and wanted the best for him since life was suffering for him throughout the whole ordeal. Just when he finally
finds his own true love and gets what he really wants out of life, it was pulled right back out from him...What, no, not fair!
Regardless of his reaction to it, as a fan watching, you want better for him. Even those later scenes
showing him wandering still alone are sad. Nia should have been his co-pilot through those scenes and they could have had a family together
For me, I like that the ending respects Simon's growth over the course of the series, and his understanding that even though people need to fight for and believe in a better tomorrow, we also can't undo the past. Loss is painful, but we can learn from it and grow.

I prefer that to an ending that discards and undoes character growth to provide a perfect happy ending.

JulianImp

Now on TTGL. I get why people appreciate the "anti-trope" ending as being "something different" and maybe helps build the lore/allure of the show for some. However, I was pretty attached to Simon by the end and wanted the best for him since life was suffering for him throughout the whole ordeal. Just when he finally
finds his own true love and gets what he really wants out of life, it was pulled right back out from him...What, no, not fair!
Regardless of his reaction to it, as a fan watching, you want better for him. Even those later scenes
showing him wandering still alone are sad. Nia should have been his co-pilot through those scenes and they could have had a family together

Which is kind of what reinforces my appreciation for how anti-meritocratic the ending was: Simon tried his very best and managed to do the impossible, but his reward was only a fleeting moment of happiness. Call me a cynic, but continously daydreaming about people who have some kind of fate and get a nice reward in the end is something I like to see, but not to the pervasive levels that end up instating this view that people who try hard can get anything and will always end up living happily. Seeing Simon accept his loss and have the strength to move on was far more relevant for the show's themes than allowing him to have his cake and eat it too.

Too many other characters lost their friends and even loved ones (poor Yoko) through the show, and most of us probably don't bat an eye at them having to come to terms with their losses and move on; but then it happens to the MC and people can't take it anymore? My logic here might be flawed and I might have ended up grasping at straws by mistake, but Simon was interesting in that he was a ridiculously over-the-top shounen protagonist while still managing to be a human being rather than just some infallible messianic entity like the stereotypical shounen lead, which only stumbles about at the start and ends up happy and comfortable in the end.

Ascheroth

This is off-topic, but I still have an extra Steam key for round 2 of Segas Make War Not Love giveaway, which includes Binary Domain, Streets of Rage 2 and Condemned.

I can't guarantee it still works but at least trying is better than having it waste away in my hands. Write me a PM if anyones interested.

Greg

love that new episode of thing

2K4yBRd.gif

#anime

Taruranto

Fantastic Children 12

Looks like we're about to have the lid on what's going on here blown wide open. As expected (the OP strongly hints at this), we've got a Please Save the Earth style situation going on.

Pretty good tension this episode, though I feel like the climax with Kirchner dragged on a little too long.

lol yeah. (Coincidentally, both FC and Boku no chikyū wo mamotte are respectively my favorite anime and manga)

Don't skip the ED in the next episodes if you do. :p

Taruranto

Hot for Corpses

Wow, this was kinda shitty. It starts out nicely, but it loses itself pretty fast. Really not too much is explained
I'm not sure why they did have to send Watson to all the people to recuperate the note, or why the hell Nick and whatshisface had to die
, the characters are severally underdeveloped and the ending itself is fairly nonsensical and underwhelming.

It was also fairly :DTL which I guess it's the only reason to watch it. (But even then there are definitely better stuff you can spend your time with)

The shitty subs were pretty funny thou'

Just T

Gintama: 312

Pretty good episode, the Elizabeth and Saitou action was great, also Katsura's fight too.

Lol at the Shinsengumi stairs and Yamazaki.

Cross Ange Episode 8 - END

So it turns out Ange is one of the best female protagonists I've seen in anime. She's badass, strong-willed, above all selfish which is such a nice difference from the perfectly good and more reserved female characters you tend to see in the mecha genre, specifically princesses.

This show took some interesting turns that shook up what could be a relatively predictable formula for the premise. I though certain characters I would end up disliking a lot more than I thought but I surprisingly ended up enjoying(Hilda and Tusk in particular). The villain was such an extremely disgusting character to hate and it was extremely satisfying to see him be beaten in the end. However, I think seeing Ange's sister run like hell away from her and the citizens of Empire getting screwed over might be even more rewarding. Regardless it was great to see a mecha show that took 3D animation and made it work well through good direction. The ending nicely wrapped the show without leaving anything up to speculation and Ange and her friends got the happy ending they deserved.

Cornbread78

So it turns out Ange is one of the best female protagonists I've seen in anime. She's badass, strong-willed, above all selfish which is such a nice difference from the perfectly good and more reserved female characters you tend to see in the mecha genre, specifically princesses.

This show took some interesting turns that shook up what could be a relatively predictable formula for the premise. I though certain characters I would end up disliking a lot more than I thought but I surprisingly ended up enjoying(Hilda and Tusk in particular). The villain was such an extremely disgusting character to hate and it was extremely satisfying to see him be beaten in the end. However, I think seeing Ange's sister run like hell away from her and the citizens of Empire getting screwed over might be even more rewarding. Regardless it was great to see a mecha show that took 3D animation and made it work well through good direction. The ending nicely wrapped the show without leaving anything up to speculation and Ange and her friends got the happy ending they deserved.

Angelina-sama is love, plain and simple. She is definitely your anti-princess after it's beaten out of her shortly into the show. The show was very lewd and over-the-top, but provided the perfect amount of off-the-rails entertainment to keep it interesting to watch. Firehawk did this wild breakdown of how horrible and broker the story was and provided some pretty compelling reason how the story must have changed while they were producing the show, but again, it still stayed relevant and crazy enough for me to enjoy it! Plus, the maid was awesome.....

brawly

Kaiji S2 - Ep 23

Felt like this hole arc has been too long but it looks like it was worth it. Crazy how entertaining this is.

Gintama 312

Gintama is the best.

Myriad Colours Phantom World 9

I liked the episode, because It was fun seeing all these names I mostly know from Gintama. Okita continues to be the best character in this parody too.

This is an insult to Gintama.

Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid Specials 03

Episode focuses on Shizune doing lewd things but she isn't wearing her military outfit/megane/panthose combo. What a spectacular failure. Truly an awful show. Unforgivable.

Why did nobody tell me about Master of Martial Hearts?

I did.

So it turns out Ange is one of the best female protagonists I've seen in anime.

what

This show took some interesting turns that shook up what could be a relatively predictable formula for the premise.

no

I though certain characters I would end up disliking a lot more than I thought but I surprisingly ended up enjoying(Hilda and Tusk in particular).

stop

Regardless it was great to see a mecha show that took 3D animation and made it work well through good direction.

latest

I tried watching KonoSuba again and its still very not-good. At least it has some good faces.

All comedy anime should just avoid airing on the same day as Gintama. It's embarrassing.

He isn't wrong. Ange is better then 95% of female anime protagonists. It's really not even close, but its not that much of an achievement either. Her and Hilda have legit character arcs. CA has some pretty good 3D animation too.

Maybe you should watch the show?

I tried watching KonoSuba again and its still very not-good. At least it has some good faces.

All comedy anime should just avoid airing on the same day as Gintama. It's embarrassing.

I'm not watching any comedy anime today because nothing could live up to this top class comedy that the Dota 2 Shanghai Major presented us. Anime needs to step up its game.

So watched/skimmed through some more Stardust Crusaders and the magnets and two brothers episode were actually fun.

Fuck that dog though, he's lame. "Haha he's total rascal and, hahhaahhaa ohohohoho, he likes to chew coffee gum!" Completely pointless addition so far. Was probably only inserted to appeal to those Otaku dog lovers like Wolfdawg.

Ascheroth

Maybe they thought they could get away with it, because Gintama doesn't have much comedy right now!
...The little bits it does have currently still blow most everything out of the water though, so... (I still like Konosuba)

----
Btw, the free games still don't have an owner, you still have a chance if you're interested.

Qurupeke

Konosuba 8
Vhuz9Sm.png
tB5E4s3.png
HuSP2pj.png

Based Megumin.

Hmm, not fond of the fact they skipped a story and they introduced a character out of nowhere. I guess this happened because of the small number of episode, but the whole episode was rushed and the punchline's delivery wasn't as good as it could be. A shame, as the story they skipped seemed to be fun and I liked the Tsubasa Lich King.

Still, a pretty funny episode. Megumin and Kazuma scenes are always my favourite and they prove yet again that their chemistry is even better than Aqua-Kazuma. So, many funny moments on the whole dolls segment. I hoped the episode would end with an EXPLOSION but it seems they finally got a good house.

Also, Aqua proved to be the worst bully. She deserves every suffering.

I have. I still stand by what I said.

You've gone too far.

Really? Not just female characters in general, but specifically female protagonists? Somehow I doubt that.

I mean, who else is there? Utena (though I think Nanami and Anthy are stronger characters) Revy, Makoto Kusanagi, Noriko, Lal'c, Holo, Hajime, Togome from Katanagatari, Faye Valentine? I think that's about it for who I can think of off of what I've seen. It says more about anime itself then Cross Ange. Like most anime characters, look at the popular ones and you will see that people like them for how badass they are. I should probably watch/read more Shoujo and Josei, though. That seems to be the areas where it shines through.

Ange would be better if Tusk didn't exist tho. I don't think what I'm saying is particularly ridiculous or out there. Cross Ange is a trashy show sure but it has some weirdly well done things, especially in the context of mecha anime and women in mecha anime.

So watched/skimmed through some more Stardust Crusaders and the magnets and two brothers episode were actually fun.

Fuck that dog though, he's lame. "Haha he's total rascal and, hahhaahhaa ohohohoho, he likes to chew coffee gum!" Completely pointless addition so far. Was probably only inserted to appeal to those Otaku dog lovers like Wolfdawg.

SC starts getting better where you are at. And don't talk shit on Iggy.

T-Rex.

Banned
Gintama 42
42 episodes in and I still can't even decide on a favourite character. They're pretty much all so likable.

Oh and I also genuinely think Ange is a great female protagonist ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Hooray!

Booooo!

I'm sorry nintendoman.

But science has proven that Ange is, in fact, fucking awesome.

That 6000+ word review I linked earlier says otherwise.

I mean, who else is there? Utena, Revy, Makoto Kusanagi, Noriko, Lal'c, Holo, Hajime, Togome from Katanagatari, Faye Valentine? I think that's about it for who I can think of off of what I've seen.

If we're talking about specifically female protagonists as the main characters there's also Kaname Chidori from FMP, Mayaka and Chitanda from Hyouka, and Kino from Kino's Journey, just to name a few more.

Did you even watch the show ?

Oh you didn't.

Quelle surprise ...
tea5qkb6.png

I don't need to nor do I want to! The reactions from everyone in this thread along with the reactions from people who have recommended me genuinely good mecha shows in the past along with all the disturbing and disgusting images I've seen from the show have told me everything I needed to know!

I will say that because of the Shoujo markets, manga in specific is in general better then a lot of mediums when it comes to representation of women and series that actually cater to women. There are a ton of famous, successful and respected women mangaka - Rumiko Takahasi, Hiromu Arakawa, Hagio Moto, Riyoko Ikeda, the entirety of CLAMP, Naoko Takeuchi, Kozue Amano, Kaoru Mori, Machiko Hasegawa...

I will say that because of the Shoujo markets, manga in specific is in general better then a lot of mediums when it comes to representation of women and series that actually cater to women. There are a ton of famous, successful and respected women mangaka - Rumiko Takahasi, Hiromu Arakawa, Hagio Moto, Riyoko Ikeda, the entirety of CLAMP, Naoko Takeuchi, Kozue Amano, Kaoru Mori, Machiko Hasegawa...

but a few of them publish works in shonen mangazines.

I also dont really remember mamiya sakura doing anything of note in Rin-ne.

If Ange is a good female character I'll eat a Toradora.

KareKano
Dennou Coil
Shin Sekai Yori
Kyousougiga
Planetes
Chihayafuru
Nana
Lovely Complex

and so on and so forth. I never noticed a particular lack of good female protagonists honestly.

I mean I enjoyed Cross Ange, but to put Ange on a pedestal and proclaim her one of the best anime female characters is just utterly bizarre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom