• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

G Gundam ep.2-3
So far we've had Gundam battles with NeoUSA and NeoChina that were fueled by their own internal issues. It looks like these were general character intro, so I'm sure these guys will be back in the near future. Now, here is the million dollar question; Rain is his sister, correct?

G Gundam ep.2-3
So far we've had Gundam battles with NeoUSA and NeoChina that were fueled by their own internal issues. It looks like these were general character intro, so I'm sure these guys will be back in the near future. Now, here is the million dollar question; Rain is his sister, correct?

Nope.

Squishy3

Kizumonogatari Part 1

Fantastic. Kind of weird, but amazing humorous moments. Plus some absolutely silly things like helicopter camera pans where SHAFT even decides to insert the sound of rotors during them.

I'll boil it down: The sense of tension in the meeting between Araragi and Kiss-Shot in the subway station is second to none. Especially when you see this character behaving completely differently than you've ever seen her before. (One can argue Shinobu is a different character than Kiss-Shot, but that's beside the point.)

Direction is really good for the most part and it was really fascinating to watch Araragi walk through that building while he breathes really heavily. There's also an insanely interesting choice made in regards to audio during the first meeting with Dramaturgy, Episode and Guillotine Cutter.

Friend who hadn't experienced Monogatari before seeing this: He liked it. I don't know if he'll like the other stuff or not, but I told him that the weird stuff with Hachikuji in Bake gets toned down.

I can't say whether or not it's worth going out of your way to see it in theatres, but I enjoyed it. Also found out same theatre is screening Boy and the Beast this month as well, so that's cool. Also hoo-boy THAT PSYCHO PASS MOVIE TRAILER WAS FUCKING SICK. Also weird contrast with it going from Zootopia trailer-> French animated film trailer -> anime trailers -> animated short compilation trailer -> Kizumonogatari

Narag

So what shows have the best ED transitions?

The obvious one is Jojo/Roundabout.

I was always fond of Fushigi Yuugi's as when that music kicked on, you knew it was the end of the ep and you were just given a big "Fuck you." in cliffhanger form.

Chindogg

G Gundam ep.2-3

I know you've been watching some strange harems lately, but it ain't like that here lol.

Durarara X2 32

Hurray
Celty has her head back.

Oh no
Celty doesn't remember anything from her time in Ikebukuro

Aside from that, lots-o-lots of buildup in this episode. So excited for the climax.

Jojo uses Roundabout well, but the series with the best consistent transition to the ED song has to be Flowers of Evil.

Yeah, that's definitely the champion. The way it comes in is just chilling, and it makes the scenes. Just sitting here thinking about it I can pretty clearly remember the exact moments where the song started in several episodes.

cj_iwakura

Durarara X2 32

Hurray
Celty has her head back.

Oh no
Celty doesn't remember anything from her time in Ikebukuro

Aside from that, lots-o-lots of buildup in this episode. So excited for the climax.

How many are left? Kind of losing track.

Also a little sick of the buildup. :p And not using enough of my favorite characters. Where the hell are the Izaya twins?

duckroll

So. I'm really curious now. How much of the anime is based on God Eater 1 and how much is original? Is there a good chance the anime will tie everything up with a satisfying ending?

How many are left? Kind of losing track.

Also a little sick of the buildup. :p And not using enough of my favorite characters. Where the hell are the Izaya twins?

Should have 4 episodes left including this weeks episode.

And I think this will be the last buildup episode. I'm expecting shit to finally go down next episode.

Puruzi

Banned
It is worth watching. I'm feeling more positive about it than I was Happiness Charge, and I loved HaCha. Of course that shit the bed near the end, but before that it was great.

I'm still salty about how Hacha completely destroyed itself near the end man

was really enjoyable before then

The Rose of Versailles 05

Dp4vxCO.png
dAD1Yj9.png
4WTBdo9.jpg

That's a damn good opening.

For airing in 1979, this episode was very impressive to me. Maybe I lack the knowledge to accurately compare it to its peers but if you compare it to Mobile Suit Gundam then its like night and day because this episode was on point. Like there are shows today that don't come close to this. Tons of awesome transitions, some real nice framing and overall strong visuals. Like damn it took me 50 minutes to watch the episode because I kept pausing and rewinding to take screencaps and post how good they are on Twitter.

I already noticed the obvious Utena/Ikuhara parallels in the first episode but goddamn, just look at this stuff.

You know an episode is good when it makes a scene where noblewomen of the court having a petty affair about talking to each other tense. That's all these episodes are. People plotting poisoning, assassinations and the threat of actual WAR because someone won't talk to someone else. Which is sadly not a stretch when talking about European courts.

It's a shame about the show being hardsubbed with subs that cut off too early, but eh its an old show. I can let that slide pretty easily. Out of the five shows Narag put me up for, this was the one I was lukewarm on due to knowing nothing of it but damn, this episode was some great stuff. It can compete with Legend of the Galactic Heroes, even.

3Kaze

So. I'm really curious now. How much of the anime is based on God Eater 1 and how much is original? Is there a good chance the anime will tie everything up with a satisfying ending?

I'd say it's mostly original. The characters arc/backstory are the same but it's told in a very different manner in the anime since Renka is an original character, with his own personality as opposed to a silent hero made in a character creator. The base story was also the same but it looks like it's going in a different direction as well (the Meteorite Arc is an original chapter), so I'm not sure how the show will end. Ufotable did a lot of animated scenes with the old artstyle (similar to Tetsuya Takeuchi's work in the first game) for the God Eater Pachislot, which is faithfully covering the game's cutscenes so I guess they didn't want to do the same thing twice.

SkyOdin

They are taking a ton of liberties with the God Eater plot so far. The basic characters and world are more or less the same, with the silent protagonist replaced by Renka. But the events are pretty different so far. Someone who has played the game can tell the general sirection they are going, but the anime had been full of surprises so far.

On the other hand, they are only on track to conclude the first half of the original God Eater plot, let alone the added Burst plot line or the sequel. There is a rough conclusion I see them moving towards, but there is still a lot of story that will be left unresolved for a second or even third season, ignoring God Eater 2 even. They haven't introduced a main character yet.

duckroll

Somehow I don't think this show was created to eventually have future seasons. It looks very expensive, they already had a ton of delays, and it doesn't look like it's really selling enough to even be profitable on its own, and it sure hasn't helped sales of the God Eater games. So I guess Hirao came out with a way to tell a story revolving around Lenka, and that's his focus. He even wrote the lyrics for the ending theme, which seems to feature tons of symbolism which is tied to Lenka's upcoming flashback, judging from the new trailer. The final episode is also titled "lotus"... Hmm...

Sterok

I'm still salty about how Hacha completely destroyed itself near the end man

was really enjoyable before then

Meanwhile I didn't like GoPri much at first, but by the end I had to grudgingly admit it was pretty good. You never know how these turn out. Hopefully Maho follows GoPri's quality fluctuation. It helps that Mirai, while still a generic pink, is an enjoyable pink who is showing off some common sense and has good instincts.

Majin Bone 31

The new OP is much better than the previous one; it actually has a sense of energy behind it.

The new cocoon is pretty cool looking. I like how the geometric shapes that make up the cocoon get steadily more complicated with each new version.

So that's Shougo's mother? For some reason I thought she had died, though I can't recall if they ever really talked about what happened to her.

Cornbread78

Planetes ep.10-12
Nice episodes all with a good mix of action, comedy and drama. The cigarette sequence with Fee saving the station was hilarious stuff and I could feel he pain! They are also starting to work on that Tanabe x Hachiman relationship as well.

sonicmj1

God Eater 9

Some nice wrinkles get introduced to the story here, in terms of both Lenka's fate and the tension between Fenrir and Lindow. Kinda sucks to see Alisa stay as sidelined as she is though.

This episode really demonstrated Hirao's grasp of manipulating our sense of time, weaving the flashback storyline with present-day developments to enhance both. Our understanding of Soma's character happens at the same time as Lenka's, and because we see the genesis of his (cheesy) ideas about hope, the future, and passing the torch, they feel weighty enough in the present day to make a difference.

I'll forgive a lot if there's good execution, and God Eater is brimming with good execution. In that respect, I want to compare it with something like Terror in Resonance, but they're very different works. Terror in Resonance was a very ambitious work made by some very talented people that collapsed due to the careless writing. God Eater is not an ambitious work, following common action tropes for shows targeted to young guys, but it's really solidly built at every single level. That commitment to craft carries an otherwise awful scenario all the way to something resembling quality.

I might have been able to find a place for this in the back part of my top 10 if I had watched it all last year.

duckroll

I think for me the God Eater anime will live or die based on how it wraps up. In terms of content, it's actually pretty dense, so 4 episodes amount to a lot of potential - both in carrying the show above what it already is, and in pissing away all goodwill. How the entire story works as a whole will be Hirao's true test in the worth of the entire series. As it is there are too many question marks for me to honestly recommend it.

Joe Molotov

Meanwhile I didn't like GoPri much at first, but by the end I had to grudgingly admit it was pretty good. You never know how these turn out. Hopefully Maho follows GoPri's quality fluctuation. It helps that Mirai, while still a generic pink, is an enjoyable pink who is showing off some common sense and has good instincts.

The ebbs and flows of Precure.

Pooya

It might as well be entirely original. It shares the setting, location, characters and some of their backgrounds, but the events in the anime, obviously Lenka, and like everything else are original. The game didn't have much story to work with anyways. Like I really don't think the ending of anime will have anything to do with the game's ending, lol it can't work now.

Osomatsu-san 05

Uh the honest cat skit was actually pretty damn good and different from all of the skits so far. Guess this is what you guys meant about it getting gradually better. If I get more of this (or better) I'll surely enjoy it a lot.

Love Live! has some pretty good ED transitions, if only for the fact that all the characters sing their own versions of it after their respective episodes. I always liked how they went the extra mile with it.

---------

Prince of Stride 08(?)

Damn, this is still awesome! How many of you are still watching this?

The faster format of having a race every two episodes works really well. Both Riku and Sakurai are also getting their backstories right now, which in retrospect is something I should've seen coming. The focus on the first episodes was more to get the little arcs of all the sidecharacters out of the way.

Still exciting, also best ED of the season (I guess the one of Konosuba is nice as well).

You direct hopes and expectations at phantom world? Episode 1 made it apparent that it's the usual trash LN tier writing. Don't expect meaningful relationships and character development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom