• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ T

Banned
Those "comically evil" types of people are a very real thing, you know?

I mean, I get the issue you have, and I don't blame you, but I know better than to dismiss such kind of violence as unrealistic.

Yeah...

Seems like the issue for some people is more presentation than actual content. Some people are really fucked up. This is not a stretch.

pbayne

Erased 9

Im confused. Did they expect people to feel sympathy for Kayo's mother? Like she's the most heavy-handed, blatant villain of anything this season, you can't redeem her with a 10 second flashback to try and justify her actions. I dunno I didn't like the whole Jerry Springer vibe of that scene.

That candy scene.
C'mon Satoru surely your smart enough to at least know that Sensei was bullshitting you.

Naruto Shippuden Season 17 Episode 451 – Itachi's Story - Light and Darkness: Birth and Death
CcpuazdXEAEnzn-.jpg
Ccpua21WoAAag1v.jpg

Gaara's dream was the best. The others were silly, Kankuro's mecha?! Sai's smile? Rock Lee defeating Naruto and Neji (oddly that he didnt have Sasuke).

Sasuke telling Kakashi this made me chuckle.

Erased 9

Im confused. Did they expect people to feel sympathy for Kayo's mother? Like she's the most heavy-handed, blatant villain of anything this season, you can't redeem her with a 10 second flashback to try and justify her actions. I dunno I didn't like the whole Jerry Springer vibe of that scene.

Don't think it was trying to redeem her, just show that people usually aren't terrible without some form of reason, justified or not.

At least the red eyes have stopped for now. Because this was both unrealistic and comically evil...

Isn't being cheesy and all the stuff not part of Erased's charm?

We are talking about a show about a guy who can travel back in time for no reason... and then returns before going back etc..

Cornbread78

There it is, same as back then. That's why I got confused because everyone was talking about it as if there was actually going to be a movie. Phew.

The problem still remains there is too much content they would have to skip to make it a good ending with everything covered, which is why all the movie speculation....

Nightii

Banned
The red eyes are only a big deal if you jumped the gun when the show first started and placed your hopes in it being an artistical masterpiece that would pull Anime out of the nethers. :p

Russ T

Banned
Isn't being cheesy and all the stuff not part of Erased's charm?

We are talking about a show about a guy who can travel back in time for no reason... and then returns before going back etc..

Existence of fantastical elements does not necessitate goofiness or irreverence to the events occurring.

Existence of fantastical elements does not necessitate goofiness or irreverence to the events occurring.

It does in case of Erased. It's hard to see Erased as something else than one of the drama series with all kinds of overfantanstical plot developments and twists.

Russ T

Banned
Erased was subtle at the beginning? I....don't see it.

Most of what happened the first time he went back in time was pretty subtle and understated and just about Satoru trying to get to know Kayo. So, yes. Go watch those episodes again!

It does in case of Erased. It's hard to see Erased as something else than one of the drama series with all kinds of overfantanstical plot developments and twists.

I agree, Erased is not that series. But this: "We are talking about a show about a guy who can travel back in time for no reason... and then returns before going back etc.." could exist in a more straight-laced series.

He was saving a child while driving a Pizza delivery scooter in the first episode for fuck sake.

So, that's one thing in the first four episodes that's over the top absurd. Go on.

The rescue in the first episode wasn't particularly absurd. The series only gradually developed into a more Death Note style melodrama. I certainly wouldn't have appreciated the opening episodes as much if I felt they were over the top.

He was saving a child while driving a Pizza delivery scooter in the first episode for fuck sake.

Perhaps you and others here aren't thinking of the word "subtle" in the same way.

The mother being a mustache twirling red eye SHORYOKEN punching manic who laughs manically when throwing out her dead daughters stuff in the trash just ruins things. Child abuse is actually a serious thing, and I think the presentation does a disservice.

Ascheroth

Active Raid - 09

Fuck corruption.
Never would have thought the boss is a hidden badass, haha.
The twist at the end was kind of expected.

Erased - 09

The beginning scene made me cringe. I don't know. The mother is so comically evil, that I have a hard time taking anything around her seriously.
The shovel-fu, the sudden grandma, the child service keikaku, etc did the rest.

I burst out laughing when
candy
happened. That had to be a troll scene right?

Satorus logic
with saving Kayo and ignoring everything else until that is accomplished
doesn't completely check out, but I'll let it slide.

If it's true that there's going to be a movie conclusion I might just drop it now and go read the manga...
The show has been kind of slowly fizzling out with every episode starting around 4 or 5 anyway for me :/

Active Raid - 09

Fuck corruption.
Never would have thought the boss is a hidden badass, haha.
The twist at the end was kind of expected.

Erased - 09

The beginning scene made me cringe. I don't know. The mother is so comically evil, that I have a hard time taking anything around her seriously.
The shovel-fu, the sudden grandma, the child service keikaku, etc did the rest.

I burst out laughing when
candy
happened. That had to be a troll scene right?

Satorus logic
with saving Kayo and ignoring everything else until that is accomplished
doesn't completely check out, but I'll let it slide.

If it's true that there's going to be a movie conclusion I might just drop it now and go read the manga...
The show has been kind of slowly fizzling out with every episode starting around 4 or 5 anyway for me :/

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2016-01-08/erased-boku-dake-ga-inai-machi-anime-to-portray-ending-of-original-manga/.97329

It's Not.

There will be no Movie Conclusion.

People treated Erased like it was the second coming of Jesus but for anime

look at it now though

It's still great, and loved outside of animeGAF. Definitely a multitude of levels better than some of the stuff that's often praised here. But ya know, opinions and all. :)

Ascheroth

Ito didn't say anything about there not being a movie. If the movie depicts the manga ending, what he said is still true.

People treated it exactly for what it was: this season's most interested new anime.

Well, Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu has always been the most interesting out of this season's TV anime. I really liked Erased episodes 2 and 3, but overall it can't compare,

Cornbread78

People treated it exactly for what it was: this season's most interested new anime.

Just add "IMO" to that as protection, lol

It's still great, and loved outside of animeGAF. Definitely a multitude of levels better than some of the stuff that's often praised here. But ya know, opinions and all. :)

Well, you are correct with this based on MAL's reaction:

http://myanimelist.net/topanime.php

incoming dismissive MAL comment in 3,2,1...
lol.

Erased - 09

They were certainly hamming up that rescue scene. Concerning the shovel-fu: I don't really mind that the Ms Hinazuki makes such a move that might turn into homicide because I could see her character doing this considering her extremely stressed out state. However, if you have a scene like that please don't make the other characters react as if it doesn't matter much, seemingly just to make those seem even cooler. She actually cut into Satoru's mothers forehead, that was a close call and yet Ms Fujinuma just shrugs it off like nothing.

Attempting to give some justification for Ms Hinazuki's cause for domestic unfortunately fell really flat and it's here where this purposely overly evil portrayal of her hurts. It almost seemed as though they were about to redeem her to a large degree when the grandmother kept saying that it's all her fault really but thankfully Ms Fujinuma's comment on that to Satoru at least mentions that she isn't actually feeling sad for Hinazuki but rather herself. So if nothing else the show acknowledges that, unfortunate circumstances or not, Ms Fujinuma has been a bad mother/person.

The goodbye to Hinazuki felt kind abrupt still I gotta say. Hinazuki seemed weirdly composed for having to say goodbye to her first (recent) friends. But maybe she's just putting up a bit stronger face in order to show her gratitude to Satoru. He meanwhile finally acknowledges the problem that the other 2 victims might still happen disregarding this deal with Hinazuki. Though it's easy to tell for him, after all he'd otherwise probably just return to the present timeline if he fixed everything. :>

If you're going to throw out a statement like that, you should specify what exactly you are referring to by "some of the stuff that's often praised here".

Well, you are correct with this based on MAL's reaction:

http://myanimelist.net/topanime.php

incoming MAL dismissive comment in 3,2,1...
lol.

As much as I like Gintama, any top anime list that has Gintama take 5 of the top 11 spots is highly dubious.

Cornbread78

kewlmyc

I just checked because this really bothers me and it looks like we are somewhere around 26/44.
How are they going to fit that into 3(?) episodes?

I won't spoil anything, but it is possible of they cut/heavily reduce a certain plot development that's going to happen soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom