• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This ain't me speaking, it's the majority. It's this season's mainstream anime afaik.

I don't get the impression that it's really very popular.

Well the show isn't even over yet and its got a 9.14 overall on MAL and is the fifth highest rated anime. Of all time. Ever. Yes, this says a lot more about MAL then it does for Erased itself but still, to get at least some sort of a feel of whatever majority/popularity/other vague terminology you want MAL works.

If you mean popularity as in hitting it big with the Big Three/Tokyo Ghoul/Attack on Titan crowd then I don't think its there because its not about fighting

Puruzi

Banned
I missed the direct and I can't find any uploaded trailers! :(

NEVER MIND, FOUND THE DIRECT.

MECHA KIRBY FOLKS YES YES YES GIVE IT TO ME YES YES YES.

JTb7Zxa.png

pbayne

So what do people think will be next seasons most popular serie ( not highest quality)?

Edit :http://myanimelist.net/anime/season/2016/spring Also wondering what are the numbers at the bottom right corner of each serie here, people interested or what?

That Attack on Titan clone will probably get a few weeks of buzz if it has a strong first episode.

How popular is Ace Attorney in Japan? It might draw the fujoshi crowd after Osomatsu finishes.

Do you consider Space Dandy "shounen action"? Or is it not as popular as I thought?

Space Dandy is a bit of an odd case. If it hadn't aired on Toonami and had Watanabe's name attached, I don't think it would have gotten as much attention.

That Attack on Titan clone will probably get a few weeks of buzz if it has a strong first episode.

How popular is Ace Attorney in Japan? It might draw the fujoshi crowd after Osomatsu finishes.

There are more fujoshi-friendly anime than Ace Attorney that will air in the spring - e.g., Joker Game, Bungo Stray Dogs.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Well the show isn't even over yet and its got a 9.14 overall on MAL and is the fifth highest rated anime. Of all time. Ever. Yes, this says a lot more about MAL then it does for Erased itself but still, to get at least some sort of a feel of whatever majority/popularity/other vague terminology you want MAL works.

If you mean popularity as in hitting it big with the Big Three/Tokyo Ghoul/Attack on Titan crowd then I don't think its there because its not about fighting
I don't really consider something like MAL to be a good metric for popularity. Obviously the show has picked up a following because of how palatable it is, but I find it pretty unlikely that it dwarfs the popularity of other shows this season. The popularity of shows in the West is already a metric that is not particularly meaningful...

I don't really consider something like MAL to be a good metric for popularity. Obviously the show has picked up a following because of how palatable it is, but I find it pretty unlikely that it dwarfs the popularity of other shows this season. The popularity of shows in the West is already a metric that is not particularly meaningful...

Erased is also the only series that has had quite a big boost in manga sales compared to other shows this season.

The manga author's other works are yaoi, so there's some influence there in how she portrays male relationships in Rakugo Shinjuu, but I don't think any of the characters in this series are intended to be homosexual.

Everything about Kiku's behavior, from childhood to adulthood, and especially during his adolescence, seem extremely familiar to me. If he wasn't intended to be homosexual, then wow.

dimb

Erased is also the only series that has had quite a big boost in manga sales compared to other shows this season.
This season doesn't have a very big focus on big manga adaptations, so it's not really competing against much.

wonzo

Banned
if you want to see how popular something is in the western fandom then the crunchyroll popular list is the best guide you've got tbh

e:
screenshot2016-03-04amxuct.png

if you want to see how popular something is in the western fandom then the crunchyroll popular list is the best guide you've got tbh

e:
screenshot2016-03-04amxuct.png

That doesn't really take into account how many people use illegal streams or torrents. There's really not a solid way to gauge popularity for shows in the West I find.

Naruto, One Piece, Fairy Tail, Bleach, Gintama I expected. But Phantom World?! Ayeee...

KonoSuba up there is good. Funny how I almost passed up on it for thinking it looked like some generic harem.

Aki-at

Erased - 9

I really enjoyed this episode, the opening segment was great and at least gave some quick backstory why Kayo's mother is so messed up. That being said I am glad
Satoru reflected it was more self-pity than regret for her actions.
Altogether a satisfying conclusion to this arc.

I'm hoping the
candy is just a red herring or simply comedy... I've thought the teacher could be the killer but it'd be nice if he was just a really kind/caring teacher :(

Glad to see Satoru is moving on to saving
his friend who he couldn't care at all about until now.
Seems really tight to cover everything in this season though, I hope the show isn't going to leave us waiting a whole year if it doesn't conclude here. I spoiled myself already with Assassination Classroom because of this :<

Gintama's a weird one. I don't think it was ever been pushed in the West, it has no dub (well besides that atrocious movie one that no one recognizes) and it relies heavily on Japanese mythology/comedy/history, yet it still seems really popular on CR and MAL. But I think there is some kind of Gintama mafia on MAL considering how few members the show has compared to other series on the top 25, yet Gintama accompanies 5 of the top 11 slots.

Sölf

Gintama's a weird one. I don't think it was ever been pushed in the West, it has no dub (well besides that atrocious movie one that no one recognizes) and it relies heavily on Japanese mythology/comedy/history, yet it still seems really popular on CR and MAL. But I think there is some kind of Gintama mafia on MAL considering how few members the show has compared to other series on the top 25, yet Gintama accompanies 5 of the top 11 slots.

Well, since MAL has each new season as it's own entry, people who stopped watching the first won't watch the second. So each season only has the most hardcore fans remaining, especially with already over 300 episodes.

And that aside, Gintama funnily enough got an italian release somehow. At least the first seaosn with 201 episodes.

And now I am saying that, AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B0176RORHG/

LET IT BE TRUE!! MY WALLET ALREADY HURTS SEEING THAT PRICE TAG!!!

dimb

That doesn't really take into account how many people use illegal streams or torrents. There's really not a solid way to gauge popularity for shows in the West I find.
Why would you assume the viewing habits of people pirating shows would be different than what's watched legally? Obviously it's not some definitive list, but CR reps said on the most recent ANNcast that it was the best indicator for how shows are tracking in the West.

wonzo

Banned

torrents download numbers arent that hard to keep track of & at a cursory glance they seem pretty in line with the popular rankings

Why would you assume the viewing habits of people pirating shows would be different than what's watched legally? Obviously it's not some definitive list, but CR reps said on the most recent ANNcast that it was the best indicator for how shows are tracking in the West.

torrents download numbers arent that hard to keep track of & at a cursory glance they seem pretty in line with the popular rankings

That's probably true. I was thinking more of how many people are watching the show, but by trend it would be more reliable.

I'm super curious as to how people are going to react to this second season. Unless they change it or something, the bunch of chapters that I read had no action whatsoever after where it left off in the anime.

I'm fairly certain the reaction will be "What the fuck, get to the main plot already. When do they get to the basement" and I'll just laugh

I'm fairly certain the reaction will be "What the fuck, get to the main plot already. When do they get to the basement" and I'll just laugh

This was exactly what I thought until I stopped reading it. Then the announcement came for season 2 and I figured they'd probably spice it up or skip on all of the slow chapters in order to keep its audience entertained.

Well we probably won't find out this year...

There still hasn't been an ETA on it right? I'm expecting it to drop in the Fall or Winter of 2017.

Sölf

And here I am, having switched to the manga after episode 21, reading everything up to that point and since then I haven't read a single chapter. It's been what, 2 years now?

Sölf

Looking at the mech, Kirby is Simon now. So that's Lagann.

Didn't know that Parallel Works was a thing, but I approve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom