• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qurupeke

Zettai Shougeki: Platonic Heart / Master of Martial Hearts 1-4

I can't believe something so bad exists. It's terrible and hilarious. It's like taking a typical fighting game story, adding super rippable clothes and then making it even dumber, giving a new meaning to the word "bad".

The final episode better be worth it because I feel I lost 2 hours of my life.

Hmmm, out of the more serious works, more or less within the GitS-Gunslinger Girls range I'd recommend you check out the below listed to see if anything tickles your fancy.

If it's long winded monologues you want then Ergo Proxy should be to your liking though it doesn't seem to popular round these parts.

Artwise I'd go for Kyousougiga, Mawaru Penguindrum, Tatami Galaxy which outside of having some great and unique designs are very good shows in their own right. You can lump Madoka in this category too.
Cheers for this Phaze! Really got into Fate/Stay Night and /Zero, /SN was great but once again the damn MC (who wasn't Rin, sigh) just dominates the last 1/4 when they won't just stop re-explaining his origin. /Zero was much better even if I have a serious problem with one element
fuck everything involved with Sadoka's plight, not well handled at all IMO

Cheers for this Cornbread78, not sure why I never thought to search for a AOTY thread!

zulux21

GAF

What anime released over the ~last year~ is worth a watch? Don't worry about my tastes I will try anything
unless there is too much moe

since for some weird reason no one else said it.

One Punch Man.

any other show I would recommend was already covered I think but I am at a loss for people not saying One Punch Man.

also maybe death parade. not sure why that one isn't being listed by people either. it's not amazing but still a fine watch.

GAF

What anime released over the ~last year~ is worth a watch? Don't worry about my tastes I will try anything
unless there is too much moe

Fafner: Exodus. Yes, it's a sequel that requires you to watch the original series, prequel OVA, and movie, but it's worth it.

Zettai Shougeki: Platonic Heart / Master of Martial Hearts 1-4

I can't believe something so bad exists. It's terrible and hilarious. It's like taking a typical fighting game story, adding super rippable clothes and then making it even dumber, giving a new meaning to the word "bad".

The final episode better be worth it because I feel I lost 2 hours of my life.

Oh, it definitely is.

Just T

Myriad Colors Phantom World: 9

That was boring.

KonoSuba: 8

Sucks they skipped a story but still was a good episode. Lots of funny moments in the mansion and Aqua still managed to get a party trick in during all that.

Myriad Colors Phantom World: 9

That was boring.

KonoSuba: 8

Sucks they skipped a story but still was a good episode. Lots of funny moments in the mansion and Aqua still managed to get a party trick in during all that.

Yeah I didn't feel Phantom either. Show is easily the worst of the bunch that I am watching this season, but yesterday's episode almost put me to sleep. I am getting bored of the episodic nature of the show without any character progression whatsoever.

As for KonoSuba I wish more anime used this sort of humor. Not that it is great or revolutionary but it feels different from the norm. Again I say, this could all be due to the delivery from the VAs which is on point. It's not just the MCs voice that is awesome, every single major character really sounds great and funny. Tons of range in their delivery.

Line_HTX

Ehh, Phantom World fits for me, lol. I kind of expected to there be no plot and just your Phantom of the Week stuff, and honestly, if they tried to have some kind of progression it could come out flat.

I'll admit this is arguably the most pandering show I have ever seen in any silly turn your brain off series.

Yeah I didn't feel Phantom either. Show is easily the worst of the bunch that I am watching this season, but yesterday's episode almost put me to sleep. I am getting bored of the episodic nature of the show without any character progression whatsoever.

The creativity of all the individual episodes is probably the best thing that Phantom World has going for it. (Outside of animation quality I guess, but those two tend to work pretty well with eachother.)

I don't really want to waste any time on character progression with these characters that I don't even like to begin with, when they also could use the airtime to explore the clever concepts of each episode even more.

Joe Molotov

Dagashi Kashi 02

I liked this episode, just the kids hanging out, talking about candy and playing card games. I haven't really followed the trajectory of this show, other than I saw a few recent posts that were like "bleh, boring show, dropped" but if the whole show was like this, I would be happy.

Ehh, Phantom World fits for me, lol. I kind of expected to there be no plot and just your Phantom of the Week stuff, and honestly, if they tried to have some kind of progression it could come out flat.

I'll admit this is arguably the most pandering show I have ever seen in any silly turn your brain off series.

The creativity of all the individual episodes is probably the best thing that Phantom World has going for it.

I don't really want to waste any time on character progression with these characters that I don't even like to begin with, when they also could use the airtime to explore the clever concepts of each episode even more.

The highlights of the show so far have been the visuals, especially during magic casting and fights. KyoAni's excellent putting those together, everything else is just... ehhh. I agree that the characters aren't anything to write home about, but this could be a lot more than just Fan Service The Show with a few cool magic moments in the middle.

KyoAni, when will I get something from you that can top Hyouka?

tuffy

Dagashi Kashi 02

I liked this episode, just the kids hanging out, talking about candy and playing card games. I haven't really followed the trajectory of this show, other than I saw a few recent posts that were like "bleh, boring show, dropped" but if the whole show was like this, I would be happy.
It's pretty much just a light comedy show about junk food factoids all the way through. And it's one of only a couple of shows I'm still keeping up on weekly.

Just T

As for KonoSuba I wish more anime used this sort of humor. Not that it is great or revolutionary but it feels different from the norm. Again I say, this could all be due to the delivery from the VAs which is on point. It's not just the MCs voice that is awesome, every single major character really sounds great and funny. Tons of range in their delivery.
Yep, it's pretty much the worst show I'm keeping up with as well this season. I expected a lot more from it. I think the animation still looks great of course, which especially looks great when the action comes into play, there's been some interesting designs too but storywise it's fallen flat for me. Don't find the episodic tales very entertaining and care little for the characters.

I also agree about KonoSuba, that got some really good VAs for this, it's something I've appreciated every episode. I think if someone else voiced Aqua I could of easily found her annoying.

The drama CD to KonoSuba had quite the high budget cast with Marina Inoue for Darkness, Maaya Uchida for Megumin and Kaori Fukuhara for Aqua.

So it's a nice surprise that the more newbie anime cast sounds so fresh and good.

Qurupeke

Zettai Shougeki: Platonic Heart / Master of Martial Hearts [END]

Haha. Oh my god.So. Fucking. Edgy. I'm kind of shocked and I was totally caught by surprised on this. There are things that I expected, others I didn't and certainly nothing makes sense. It truly was twist after twist and I was unprepared, a lot of things happened. That's certainly one way to conclude an abomination. And on top of that, it even turned to a Michael Bay Rambo movie.

Miko is obviously bad and maybe Haruhi and Natsume are! No, the actual villain is just a sadistic, crazy guy that stalks you! But no! The actual villain is the real Haruhi and the rest of your friends! But no! The root of the evil is your parents! But no! It's actually our grandparents!
I don't know if I should laugh, considering how sick some of the things that happened during the final episode were, but this was legitimately hilarious and over the top. I really want to know what exactly they were thinking when they created this.

10000/10

Yep, it's pretty much the worst show I'm keeping up with as well this season. I expected a lot more from it. I think the animation still looks great of course, which especially looks great when the action comes into play, there's been some interesting designs too but storywise it's fallen flat for me. Don't find the episodic tales very entertaining and care little for the characters.

I also agree about KonoSuba, that got some really good VAs for this, it's something I've appreciated every episode. I think if someone else voiced Aqua I could of easily found her annoying.

TOTALLY AGREE. This goes to show just how important a good voice cast is to a show. The writing can be brought out to its best with with good voicing.

On the subject of worst show of the season, I feel it's time for me to start weighing in on how I feel about the shows I'm watching. Granted a lot can change in 4 weeks, but as it stands from best to worst, this is my ordering:

- ERASED
- Rakugo
- Haikyuu S2
- Gundam IBO
- KonoSuba
- Grimgar
- Shirayuki S2
- Dimension W
- GATE S2
- Phantom World

Not counting Osomatsu since I just started that and Koyomimonogatari... Is just sort of there.

The drama CD to KonoSuba had quite the high budget cast with Marina Inoue for Darkness, Maaya Uchida for Megumin and Kaori Fukuhara for Aqua.

So it's a nice surprise that the more newbie anime cast sounds so fresh and good.

Interesting that they used a different cast. Was it on par with the current one?

The highlights of the show so far have been the visuals, especially during magic casting and fights. KyoAni's excellent putting those together, everything else is just... ehhh. I agree that the characters aren't anything to write home about, but this could be a lot more than just Fan Service The Show with a few cool magic moments in the middle.

KyoAni, when will I get something from you that can top Hyouka?

I like Sound Euphonium a bit better than Hyouka myself.

I like Sound Euphonium a bit better than Hyouka myself.

Oh wow really? I could see it, but I wasn't as into it as I was with Hyouka. The cast was smaller so I got way more attached to them than I did with the ones in Euphonium. The show was great though, and for me it's a close second in terms of KyoAni's output. Who knows, with S2 it may beat Hyouka as a thing altogether. Nothing thus far has touched Hyouka for me on how much I adore the characters and the time I spent watching them. It's the same sort of feeling I get when I think back to the Persona 3 and 4 games and how much I loved the characters there.

Interesting that they used a different cast. Was it on par with the current one?

Marina Inoue is Marina Inoue you can't beat that.

But I don't think the drama CD cast would work so well for the anime like the cast we got. The creative staff did a good job at picking the right cast to showcase a kind of chemistry between the VAs.

duckroll

fxjlvuA.jpg

Get hype. New PV coming tomorrow too!

Oh wow really? I could see it, but I wasn't as into it as I was with Hyouka. The cast was smaller so I got way more attached to them than I did with the ones in Euphonium. The show was great though, and for me it's a close second in terms of KyoAni's output. Who knows, with S2 it may beat Hyouka as a thing altogether. Nothing thus far has touched Hyouka for me on how much I adore the characters and the time I spent watching them. It's the same sort of feeling I get when I think back to the Persona 3 and 4 games and how much I loved the characters there.

I think the production of Hyouka is a bit stronger overall, but as a musician Sound Euphonium really spoke to me on a personal level. The reaudition sequence was incredible and moved me to tears. I am so grateful to KyoAni for taking the time and effort to get the music right.

Ascheroth

I stopped watching a couple episodes ago and just skimmed the last few. Doesn't look like I missed much.
Good visuals and animation can't carry a show for me alone if the rest bores me to sleep.

And yup, the voice acting in Konosuba is amazing.

Marina Inoue is Marina Inoue you can't beat that.

But I don't think the drama CD cast would work so well for the anime like the cast we got. The creative staff did a good job at picking the right cast to showcase a kind of chemistry between the VAs.

True, her most recent work in Owarimonogatari as Sodachi floored me. You know which scene I'm talking about right? So much genuine emotion. I bet she could do the same in reverse, making me laugh out loud.

I think the production of Hyouka is a bit stronger overall, but as a musician Sound Euphonium really spoke to me on a personal level. The reaudition sequence was incredible and moved me to tears. I am so grateful to KyoAni for taking the time and effort to get the music right.

Oh now I get it. I'd probably lean toward Euphonium too if I had a deeper tie to music (other than just you know, listening to it).

I stopped watching a couple episodes ago and just skimmed the last few. Doesn't look like I missed much.
Good visuals and animation can't carry a show for me alone if the rest bores me to sleep.

And yup, the voice acting in Konosuba is amazing.

Yeah at this point I'm watching it because if I dropped it this far in I feel like it all would have been for nothing. This tends to always happen to me with one show a season, this time it happened to be this on.

Just T

TOTALLY AGREE. This goes to show just how important a good voice cast is to a show. The writing can be brought out to its best with with good voicing.

On the subject of worst show of the season, I feel it's time for me to start weighing in on how I feel about the shows I'm watching. Granted a lot can change in 4 weeks, but as it stands from best to worst, this is my ordering:

- ERASED
- Rakugo
- Haikyuu S2
- Gundam IBO
- KonoSuba
- Grimgar
- Shirayuki S2
- Dimension W
- GATE S2
- Phantom World

Not counting Osomatsu since I just started that and Koyomimonogatari... Is just sort of there.

Definitely true.

I suppose I should do the same now that we're a bit over the halfway mark for most shows. Off the top the shows I've been enjoying the most so far would have to be:

-Erased
-Rakugo
-Gintama
-Durarara!!x2 Ketsu
-Assassination Classroom S2
-Dimension W
-KonoSuba

Then below that some shows I've been content with:

-Osomatsu
-Shirayuki S2
-Oji-san to Marshmallow
-Koyomimonogatari
-Gate S2
-Grimgar

Mixed feelings towards:

-Bubuki Buranki
-Dagashi Kashi

Then the shows I could of just skipped:

-Phantom World
-Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm
-Shoujo-tachi wa Kouya wo Mezasu
-Luck and Logic

Lastly a special category:

-Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle, which I only watched because I thought it was Shingeki no Bahamut: Manaria Friends, also there is melody I like in the ED theme.

Definitely true.

I suppose I should do the same now that we're a bit over the halfway mark for most shows. Off the top the shows I've been enjoying the most so far would have to be:

-Erased
-Rakugo
-Gintama
-Durarara!!x2 Ketsu
-Assassination Classroom S2
-Dimension W
-KonoSuba

Then below that some shows I've been content with:

-Osomatsu
-Shirayuki S2
-Oji-san to Marshmallow
-Koyomimonogatari
-Gate S2
-Grimgar

Mixed feelings towards:

-Bubuki Buranki
-Dagashi Kashi

Then the shows I could of just skipped:

-Phantom World
-Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm
-Shoujo-tachi wa Kouya wo Mezasu
-Luck and Logic

Lastly a special category:

-Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle, which I only watched because I thought it was Shingeki no Bahamut: Manaria Friends, also there is melody I like in the ED theme.

I'm guessing that "shows I could have skipped" section is there because of something similar to me, in that now it's too late to stop watching them lol.

Qurupeke

Erased 9

Great episode and a nice conclusion to the Kayo story. I was frustrated that it seemed like they wanted to redeem Kayo's mother, but what I got from Satoru's reaction is that it wasn't like that, thankfully.

Anyway...
Are there still any people that think the teacher isn't the killer? :p I have to say that this episode really made him really likeable. I hope the eventual reveal will be good. The candies scene was great but it certainly made me uneasy. Also, I guess Satoru acted based on the hypothesis that the killer was going for Kayo exclusively first, but it's kinda flawed....

And that ending... I knew that girl meant troubles. In any case,I really hope this is not really part 2 because we're 3 episodes before the ending.

Get hype. New PV coming tomorrow too!

I hope the yokai story is one of the first episodes. :)

Line_HTX

P.A. Works' Kuromukuro will be their 15th anniversary work starting on April 7.

I always love P.A. Works beautiful backgrounds.

Kazuma desu~

Zettai Shougeki: Platonic Heart / Master of Martial Hearts [END]

Haha. Oh my god.So. Fucking. Edgy. I'm kind of shocked and I was totally caught by surprised on this. There are things that I expected, others I didn't and certainly nothing makes sense. It truly was twist after twist and I was unprepared, a lot of things happened. That's certainly one way to conclude an abomination. And on top of that, it even turned to a Michael Bay Rambo movie.

Miko is obviously bad and maybe Haruhi and Natsume are! No, the actual villain is just a sadistic, crazy guy that stalks you! But no! The actual villain is the real Haruhi and the rest of your friends! But no! The root of the evil is your parents! But no! It's actually our grandparents!
I don't know if I should laugh, considering how sick some of the things that happened during the final episode were, but this was legitimately hilarious and over the top. I really want to know what exactly they were thinking when they created this.

10000/10

They were thinking "fuck you, audience!" They're goddamn geniuses.

Majin Bone 32

What a moving episode. They really handled
Shougo's mother's story
with the sensitivity that I've come to expect from this show, and
the reunion
was excellent.
Shougo really is a sweet kid.
I just love the character writing in Majin Bone; even with its long episode count, it's impressive how it's managed to flesh out its large cast so well.

Erased 9

And that ending... I knew that girl meant troubles. In any case,I really hope this is not really part 2 because we're 3 episodes before the ending.

Don't worry; there'll be a movie to wrap things up.

BluWacky

What the heck is the third show? "Lost Universe"?

It's Slayers in space. Quite literally - it's based on a light novel series by the same author and shares a very similar sensibility, and had much of the same production staff as the Slayers TV series (at the time) did.

It's also the origin of the (perhaps outdated?) term yashigani anime, or QUALITY as we would now know it.

With Nadesico leading the way, it doesn't seem like things have changed all that much.

Interesting, however, that it's the darker, less comedic Nadesico movie, rather than the slightly parodic TV series, that's top of the charts then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom