• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

To be fair, it's not like they could speed up the pacing any more.

"15 CHAPTERS IN?! INTRO THE FINAL BOSS! CONCLUDE ALL THE PLOTLINES! TIME SKIP!"

Imagine they put all of that into the first episode and treat it as the prologue.

I don't think it's the final boss.
And after Binbougami ga, I trust the guy to know what he's doing. I hope.

Twin Star Exorcists' anime staff is not great, but it doesn't share anyone with Tokyo Ghoul's anime.

That's good to hear.
I don't have any expectations either way, so they can only get surpassed lol.

Qurupeke

They were thinking "fuck you, audience!" They're goddamn geniuses.
I can totally imagine that..
Master of Martial Hearts

XdmKVQm.gif
:)
Don't worry; there'll be a movie to wrap things up.
Oh, was that confirmed? It would certainly be beneficial for the anime.

That's good to hear.
I don't have any expectations either way, so they can only get surpassed lol.

The director of Twin Star Exorcists is the director of Persona 4 The Golden and main unit director on the Persona 3 movies, so... The best person on the staff is excellent animator Hidetsugu Ito on monster and prop design, so there could be some good visuals in that category to look forward to.

Oh, was that confirmed? It would certainly be beneficial for the anime.

Not confirmed yet, but it'll almost certainly be announced at noitamina's press conference on March 17.

Majin Bone - 31

CcmYaeOW4AAsDXf.jpg:large

The design of the new cocoon looks really neat

I thought the reveal of that woman in the new OP being Shougo's mother wouldn't come until later, but I'm glad it happened now.

I gotta say, it's refreshing to know that the main character's mother is still active and alive in this show. It really says something when the majority of anime MCs you know either don't have parents or only have one parent/guardian. So this is nice to see.

JulianImp

Because I had free time and felt in the mood for some masochism...

Cross Ange #1-8

What. Is. This.

Ange's character arc, decent? First she spends a couple episodes in total denial saying that she's still a princess and can use magic, then she gets all serious and cuts her hair, and finally when her maid somehow sneaks into the base and calls to her she has already all but forgotten her former self and is all "I'm not a princess, I'm just a muggle". This reeks of awful characterization and character development, since seeing her undergo such a radical change and suddenly accept everything about her new life, completely rejecting her former one is downright infuriating.

The whole cast's boring as hell, things are too edgy for no good reason, there was a guy Rito-ing himself all over Ange because why not and it isn't like the show's even doing fanservice right anyway (risque yuri harems... so harenchi!). The show's also probably about to go for a criticism of its supremacist society and caste system, but it's way too corny and bad to have any meaningful impact anyway.

The story also starts with the obviously evil prince caressing his disabled little sister in a lewd way after his plan to overthrow his parents and Ange succeeds, which coupled with her distress call later on makes me think the show's about to cross a line it probably shouldn't...

Seriously, what the heck am I watching? This makes me feel like I could forget SAO a little for being what it was compared to this abomination of a show...
or maybe not, but still.

Edit: Because I'd better wash this taste off of my mouth...

Monogatari SS - Ep. 20
Me watching this episode:
mad-max-fury-road-screenshot-charlize-theron-imperator-furiosa-screaming-320x240.jpg

Goodbye Hachikuji.

The way the show drew the line and closed a door forever really got me there, and the whole scene was well executed (that music...).

O7

Erased 09

Yo that opening scene was really good. In fact, the entire first half was really good Kayo ;_;

So the episode is called "Closure" and that is pretty true because I don't know whats left for me in this show after the first half of this episode. The Kayo stuff ended great....and then I remember there are still four episodes left. Ohhhhhh noooooooo

It really feels like a conclusion was reached and then I remember theres a bunch of stuff I don't give a fuck about still left. I think it would be better for me to drop the show right now, but I will continue just so I can feel vindicated and to spite no one.

JulianImp

I like Ange because she blasts dudes and fucks shit up and doesn't care about no one

But combats are awfully boring, and it even seems like they're reusing the exact same animations and camera angles (like when Ange charges that freezing bullet punch whatever and hits a dragon with it). Frankly, that part isn't even worth it so far, but I guess now that she's headed towards the city to rescue her dear imouto she'll be battling other giant robots or something.

Oh, and it looks like that Rito wannabe will be showing up again. Time to trip and fall right onto Ange's thighs because wy the hell not, right?

phaze

I know someone else watching the show missed this, so I'll just say to notice that most of the avant (pre-OP) sequences are stated to be excerpts from a fictional short story by one of the in-universe authors, not something that actually happened within the show's "real world". Their purpose will become clear by the end (the last two episodes do a really good job of making everything clear).

Duly noted, thanks. I guess that explains those titles that I couldn't quite make sense of.

It's Slayers in space. Quite literally - it's based on a light novel series by the same author and shares a very similar sensibility, and had much of the same production staff as the Slayers TV series (at the time) did.

Interest rising.

ERASED Episode 9

Lol, ERASED, you be trolling with that
candy
scene.

Haha yup.

Erased 9
Tbh I thought most of the denouement to Kayo and Kayo's mother situation in particular was more comical than anything else, which I doubt was their intention.
The hammy acting and overreaction, shovel fight, some bizzare keikaku of the child services, sudden grandma out of nowhere and the terribly unsubtle attempts to paint the mother as some victim of circle of violence. And then grandma stealing the kid she doesn't even know.
user222437_pic71490_12brbb.png
Almost as hilarious as that one supposedly sad episode of Shin Mazinger.
Erased 9

Also, I guess Satoru acted based on the hypothesis that the killer was going for Kayo exclusively first, but it's kinda flawed....
Definitely but I'm glad that issue was even addressed.

And that ending... I knew that girl meant troubles. In any case,I really hope this is not really part 2 because we're 3 episodes before the ending.
I guess she'll get kidnapped instead ?

But combats are awfully boring, and it even seems like they're reusing the exact same animations and camera angles (like when Ange charges that freezing bullet punch whatever and hits a dragon with it). Frankly, that part isn't even worth it so far, but I guess now that she's headed towards the city to rescue her dear imouto she'll be battling other giant robots or something.

Nah I'm talking near the end.

If I were to rate Cross Ange on a purely entertainment level it would be like a 9 or 10/10, I haven't had that much fun watching a show week to week since Samurai Flamenco (which is a better show then Cross Ange don't get me wrong)

I stayed up to 2 in the morning just to watch Cross Ange, I don't even do that with Gintama

JulianImp

Nah I'm talking near the end.

If I were to rate Cross Ange on a purely entertainment level it would be like a 9 or 10/10, I haven't had that much fun watching a show week to week since Samurai Flamenco (which is a better show then Cross Ange don't get me wrong)

I stayed up to 2 in the morning just to watch Cross Ange, I don't even do that with Gintama

Things have been such an edgelord slog so far that I really don't know if I'll be able to enjoy this at all. It fails in the action, setting, character development and even fanservice departments, which leaves absolutely nothing of interest in this in the eight episodes I've watched so far.

Oh, I forgot today was Erased day... guess I'll excuse myself and come back later tonight once I don't risk spoiling myself of whatever happens in today's episode.

Cornbread78

Episode 9:
m5qt283.gif

"when I see you smile...."

The conclusion to
saving Kayo
was well scripted and really heartfelt. You can see why Satoru is so conflicted at what was done, regardless of his age/mental state.
(which makes more sense, knowing what we have heard about what was going n with him emotionally during this revival)
Kenya continues to be very perceptive of Satoru's emotions and what he is up to, as well as trying to be there for him as his wingman.
The candy scene in the car with sensei, wither proves they are purposely trying to make it obvious that he is the killer and toying with the audience, or toying with the audience that he is obviously the red herring in the whole thing
. We still have no idea who the killer really is, but I guess we have 4 episodes left to
save the two other girls and clear his name in the future.

side note:
I still have a feeling based on the title
, that Satoru will be dead or disappear from the future after he completes this mission based on the Eng translation of the title.

Mailbox

Episode 9:

side note:
I still have a feeling based on the title
, that Satoru will be dead or disappear from the future after he completes this mission based on the Eng translation of the title.

Almost certain that the title refers to the fact that his younger self is gone replaced by his older self. "He is missing" replaced by himself.

Or at least that's how I've been interpreting it

If I have to wait a long ass time for a conclusion to Erased I just won't watch it. I didn't watch the last episode of BBB and I never will. Wiki scumming prevails again.

kewlmyc

Well that's still technically correct however it looks like the TV series isn't going to finish the adaptation.

They should be able to reach the conclusion if they cut most of the content coming up that doesn't deal with the killer and Kayo directly, which is a lot in the manga.

Seems odd that they'd be doing an animated movie, when this series was greenlit partially to advertise the live action movie coming out soon. Has anything official been said about an animated movie or is it just people guessing due to the pacing?

Jarmel

Banned
If I have to wait a long ass time for a conclusion to Erased I just won't watch it. I didn't watch the last episode of BBB and I never will. Wiki scumming prevails again.

A best case scenario is the movie is out by Fall and we get it in 2017. Worst case scenario is the movie comes out sometime next year and we get it near the end of 2017, possibly 2018.

Cornbread78

They should be able to reach the conclusion if they cut most of the content coming up that doesn't deal with the killer and Kayo directly, which is a lot in the manga.

Seems odd that they'd be doing an animated movie, when this series was greenlit partially to advertise the live action movie coming out soon. Has anything official been said about an animated movie or is it just people guessing due to the pacing?

A best case scenario is the movie is out by Fall and we get it in 2017. Worst case scenario is the movie comes out sometime next year and we get it near the end of 2017, possibly 2018.

My anger level is starting to rise to SNAFU TOO levels at the moment....

pbayne

XXaEdch.png

Everything about the production of this movie is so lavish. Animation, backgrounds, soundtrack are all so impressive. Love that the camera always pans out to show off the scope and detailed shots of the city. Some really striking imagery and brutal violence is strewn throughout. And the music is really bombastic mix of orchestral and jazz, gives a great feel of massive scale.

Story-wise if you've ever seen any cyber-punk you'll not find anything particularly new about the setting or characters. Primarily they are there to ground the whole world down. So you get the noirish detectives, the identity questioning robots, the shady government and the rebelling humans. Even with all those elements the city itself is always the main character. Great contrast between the vibrant opulence of the surface and the grimy decay of the underworld. So much effort has went into every little environmental detail, it's breathtaking to see.

So yeah a powerhouse of a film. An easy recommendation if you like GiTs or Akira or any kind of grounded science fiction really.

Cornbread78

Almost certain that the title refers to the fact that his younger self is gone replaced by his older self. "He is missing" replaced by himself.
Or at least that's how I've been interpreting it

MAL has the syn. for the show title listed as: "The Town Where Only I am Missing" It's pretty open for interpretation, however....

I see people talking about an Erased movie ending? I was under the impression that the show was gonna be 12 episodes and that's it?

They said the anime would have the same ending as the Manga and there were 12 episodes, but the problem that now become transparent is they are either going to have to cut out massive amounts of content from the manga with some important events, or they will have to make us wait for the conclusion and put it out as a movie. More like Working!!! than SNAFU, but still.....

Everything about the production of this movie is so lavish. Animation, backgrounds, soundtrack are all so impressive. Love that the camera always pans out to show off the scope and detailed shots of the city. Some really striking imagery and brutal violence is strewn throughout. And the music is really bombastic mix of orchestral and jazz, gives a great feel of massive scale.

Story-wise if you've ever seen any cyber-punk you'll not find anything particularly new about the setting or characters. Primarily they are there to ground the whole world down. So you get the noirish detectives, the identity questioning robots, the shady government and the rebelling humans. Even with all those elements the city itself is always the main character. Great contrast between the vibrant opulence of the surface and the grimy decay of the underworld. So much effort has went into every little environmental detail, it's breathtaking to see.

So yeah a powerhouse of a film. An easy recommendation if you like GiTs or Akira or any kind of grounded science fiction really.

Grounded? I would hardly call Metropolis grounded. But I do enjoy it; probably my favorite work by Rintaro that I've seen.

Grimgar Episode 4 (engdub)

Best lines, Ranta's don't call me savage, call me Monstrous, its much cooler! He is litrally the perfect character for me.

still dont know how Manato ran/walked all that way with that wound

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Erased Episode 9:

Okay, outside of some story beats that would been at home in a Lifetime Original Movie the climax and the coda of this arc was handled quite well. Though even though Kayo may be safe there is still work to be done.

They said the anime would have the same ending as the Manga and there were 12 episodes, but the problem that now become transparent is they are either going to have to cut out massive amounts of content from the manga with some important events, or they will have to make us wait for the conclusion and put it out as a movie. More like Working!!! than SNAFU, but still.....

I swear we went through this before where I said something similar would happen at the beginning ofthe season, and everyone told me that the Director or Writer had come out on Twitter and said that the ending of the story would be in the show

Erased 9

Does anyone have a gif of the mom roundhouse punching Kayo with the red background? I couldn't help laughing from that, it was so out of nowhere, even though it is really sad when you think about it. Also, that was some Death Note-like music during the last scene there.

I feel like I'm probably reading too much into it, but I can't help but think the main character from Rakugo is gay.

He dates a woman in the past just to sort of see what its like. Uncomfortable in the male baths at a young age. He never really seems that interested in women to begin with, beyond just friendship. Meanwhile his feelings towards Hatsu seem a little stronger than just friendship.

I mean it isn't part of the story so I don't really expect it to get any focus. But its interesting.

pbayne

Grounded? I would hardly call Metropolis grounded. But I do enjoy it; probably my favorite work by Rintaro that I've seen.

Apart from the last ten minutes where they go into wrap the plot "blow everything up mode" I think they keep it relatively grounded. The aesthetic is really beaten down, worn technology, it never gets too fanciful.

Even with Tezuka's designs i never found anything out of place or too over the top cartonnish. World building was definitely one of the movie's strongest points for me.

Assassination Classroom Episode 31

They put it all in one episode? Nice. I think the mom was done a bit better in the manga seemed to be a bit more chilling and frightening mom there versus here in the anime.

Cornbread78

Erased 9

Does anyone have a gif of the mom roundhouse punching Kayo with the red background? I couldn't help laughing from that, it was so out of nowhere, even though it is really sad when you think about it. Also, that was some Death Note-like music during the last scene there.

This was a very disturbing scene...
Htc4OFw.gif

The show deals with some very difficult domestic issues not to be taken lightly...

oEM2gRS.gif

(yes, this is her)

Nightii

Banned
Those "comically evil" types of people are a very real thing, you know?

I mean, I get the issue you have, and I don't blame you, but I know better than to dismiss such kind of violence as unrealistic.

Those "comically evil" types of people are a very real thing, you know?

I mean, I get the issue you have, and I don't blame you, but I know better than to dismiss such kind of violence as unrealistic.

The roundhouse SNK style punch is a bit over the top. And the glowing red eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom