• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clov

The Death Note BD looks like it could have turned out a lot worse, given that it's an SD upscale from Viz mastered by Subatomic Digital (who handled the Gargantia and Sailor Moon BDs for Viz).

wonzo

Banned
I dunno what your problem is here, but it looks fine. It is clearly sharper than the blown up DVD source, which is about as good as you can expect from most of these upscales.

Increased banding and over-sharpening artefacts with oversaturated colours from Q-TEC filtering is anything but looking good.

It is disappointing how your post quality has completely gone downhill.

this thread is barely readable anymore so i don't have a reason to care or put any effort in

duckroll

Increased banding and over-sharpening artefacts with oversaturated colours from Q-TEC filtering is anything but looking good.

It's not great, but Q-TEC filtering is basically standard with a lot of upscales. The end result is still -better- than the DVD being upscaled though, so for most people that's a good enough improvement. It's hardly something that looks so awful that telling people to get their eyes checked is a reasonable response.

this thread is barely readable anymore so i don't have a reason to care or put any effort in

If this is the best you can do, why do you even bother reading or posting in the thread? If you really feel this way why waste your time at all? If you think the thread is awful and your only contribution is to try to make it worse, then I don't want you in this community. It's poisonous. I'm really disappointed. :(

Puruzi

Banned
hVejiay.png

wonzo

Banned
If this is the best you can do, why do you even bother reading or posting in the thread? If you really feel this way why waste your time at all? If you think the thread is awful and your only contribution is to try to make it worse, then I don't want you in this community. It's poisonous. I'm really disappointed. :(

i hate everything this thread (and gaf in general) has turned into so i'll stick to irc then. goodbye

Clov

It's not great, but Q-TEC filtering is basically standard with a lot of upscales. The end result is still -better- than the DVD being upscaled though, so for most people that's a good enough improvement. It's hardly something that looks so awful that telling people to get their eyes checked is a reasonable response.

It's really too bad that Q-TEC is used so often. If I'm remembering right, other upscaling methods (Real Scaling for HD by Sony PCL was one, I think) produced better looking results (Toradora, Nanoha, etc). I might be wrong on this though, or misunderstanding something fundamental.

Ideally I'd love for every SD mastered anime to get recomposited into HD like Gurren Lagann and Gundam Seed did, but I've heard that it's a bit of an expensive process (not to mention I don't even know what it entails, so it might not be possible for every show).

duckroll

It's really too bad that Q-TEC is used so often. If I'm remembering right, other upscaling methods (Real Scaling for HD by Sony PCL was one, I think) produced better looking results (Toradora, Nanoha, etc). I might be wrong on this though, or misunderstanding something fundamental.

Ideally I'd love for every SD mastered anime to get recomposited into HD like Gurren Lagann and Gundam Seed did, but I've heard that it's a bit of an expensive process (not to mention I don't even know what it entails, so it might not be possible for every show).

I think Q-TEC has a really good PR team that markets the tech to various publishers and does a lot of smoke and mirrors demo stuff at tech shows and so on so they have a pretty big mindshare in the industry. Sadly that's what it takes to be an industry standard, since most of the people making the decisions aren't equipped to understand the real needs of film restoration, especially from lower quality sources. Even Hollywood has a lot of trouble with this on films and that's a much bigger industry.

tuffy

G Gundam ep.4-6
So the first two battles were with France and Russia and both were short battles that ended in ties essentially. However, episode 6 finally gave some background information on how he became a Gundam pilot and what his motivation is. From those scenes during the test, Rain is like a childhood friend of his?
They've definitely known each other awhile, that's for sure.

The show's still firmly in the setup phase at this point and probably feels mostly episodic, but it's not going to take long before it finds its groove.

For all the romanticizing of the AnimeGAf past, those threads were full of shit too.

Perhaps, but back then this community really felt a lot more unique when it came to anime forums on the internet.

Had it not been for AnimeGAF 2013, I'd have never considered watching Kino's Journey. Now I feel that it's a show that's criminally overlooked.

I enjoyed reading all the detailed posts made on old shows I've never heard about and the discussions that followed them. Yeah people still do those today, but it's not happening nearly as much as it did back then.

Honestly though, the thread really did feel more fun to be a part of back then than it is now. I still stick around to make detailed impressions of shows myself, but to be really honest, it has been difficult to really enjoy this community nowadays. :|

Perhaps, but back then this community really felt a lot more unique when it came to anime forums on the internet.

Had it not been for AnimeGAF 2013, I'd have never considered watching Kino's Journey. Now I feel that it's a show that's criminally overlooked.

I enjoyed reading all the detailed posts made on old shows I've never heard about and the discussions that followed them. Yeah people still do those today, but it's not happening nearly as much as it did back then.

Honestly though, the thread really did feel more fun to be a part of back then than it is now. I still stick around to make detailed impressions of shows myself, but to be really honest, it has been difficult to really enjoy this community nowadays. :|

Community was faster, larger and had more frequent posters when I joined in, but the quality of posting was a massive up and down. Jesus I mean the majority of the time I was posting dank memes and puns with only Cajun laughing at them. Maybe we're missing a really good season to come back.

The way the community is right now though seems fine. It's much slower, but it's not as isolated with its in jokes, so people could theoretically join in and not feel as much of a spectator once a season starts bringing in people.

I think the community is fine really. Haven't been here as long as some of you, but I feel like everyone here is welcoming, and discussions do pop up very frequently. In terms of what people talk about though, that is largely dependent on what's airing. We gotta play with the hand we are dealt with every 4 months.

Is it the same guy who does the voice for the 2011 version?

No, Hisoka's voice actor in the 2011 anime is Daisuke Namikawa. Interestingly, it looks like both of Hisoka's voice actors played main roles in individual episodes of Trapeze!

No one ever bullied Bones back in 2011 when they were in their Golden Age.

Ah yes, everyone fondly remembers Bones for those unforgettable masterpieces, Gosick, No. 6, and Un-Go.

ibyea

Banned

I don't think Kino's Journey is criminally overlooked. I just haven't seen any opportunity to bring it up.

ibyea

Banned
No, Hisoka's voice actor in the 2011 anime is Daisuke Namikawa. Interestingly, it looks like both of Hisoka's voice actors played main roles in individual episodes of Trapeze!

I can't judge the voice acting for the 1999 version then. He is really creepy in the 2011 version though. I wonder if the 1999 version is better.

Clov

Well, that's a pretty neat coincidence. Your impressions are making me want to go watch the 90s Hunter x Hunter now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom