• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

Erased 9

Kayo's mom has always been an aggressively mediocre character, but she was downright unbearable in this episode. Some nuance would have been nice, because it's really hard to connect someone who seems ripped out of a shonen anime. With lines like "you tricked me... goddamn both of you!" and the part where she starts swinging a shovel while Satoru's mom coolly avoids being hit, she's just far too comedic of a character to take seriously. It's especially disappointing because parental abuse is something I've dealt with, and it would have been great to see it properly tackled in this anime. Oh well.

The second half was a lot stronger, but it has me concerned; saving 2 kids in the span of 3 episodes doesn't seem possible. Is this show going to get another season...?

Well, that's a pretty neat coincidence. Your impressions are making me want to go watch the 90s Hunter x Hunter now.

Do! I'm pretty sure you'd like it, with its strong moody atmosphere and thoughtful character portrayals. The first episode alone is worth the price of admission.

rrvv

No. Watching AO is also a bad idea.

What movie? What's AO? Stop spreading lies! E7 is a great anime series which needed no follow up or spin offs and I'm glad no one tried to make those!

RZyUZh2.png

Yeah, ERASED didn't handle the abuse aspect very well. The slow motion was stupidly over the top.

Also I guess this guy just disappeared?
Sgih_X1_T.png

Did I miss something?

Or is he Kenya from the future!?

You should play the Infinity series, VLR is recycled and stale.

Virtue's Last Reward was meh just in comparison to 999. It's in an awkward place where it's a continuation invented after 999 was so successful, but it wants to set up a third game for a full trilogy, so the story isn't very satisfying in itself.

Yeah, ERASED didn't handle the abuse aspect very well. The slow motion was stupidly over the top.

Also I guess this guy just disappeared?
Sgih_X1_T.png

Did I miss something?

Or is he Kenya from the future!?

I think the implication was that he was the mother's boyfriend? So I guess he doesn't officially live there.

Virtue's Last Reward was meh just in comparison to 999. It's in an awkward place where it's a continuation invented after 999 was so successful, but it wants to set up a third game for a full trilogy, so the story isn't very satisfying in itself.

It's a step down from 999 in everything other than pacing. 999 felt like an ancient VN with how much repetition it forced on the player, but other than that it was much better than VLR.

I... Liked VLR way more then 999

I'm tainted by having read Uchikoshi's earlier works from which VLR borrows really heavily from. I came away from it glad that they had fixed some of the structural problems of 999, but disappointed in how unoriginal it was and wondering if Uchikoshi had run out of ideas.

Cornbread78

Rosario + Vampire S2 ep.4-6
It feels like they are now taking an even more focused episodic approach in S2 for each harem member. Lots of nonsense though... Also, I don't really care to see what is under all the teddy bears and bats on screen, but the censorship has hit a ridiculous point now. What is it with all these shows that don't give two shits what they show in S1, but get ultra conservative in S2?

Also, I love the community, but like your own family, you have to accept the good and the bad parts, lol. There are a LOT of anime watchers on GAF we see in all the OT threads and seasonal threads that won't venture in here.

Virtue's Last Reward
craziest shit i've played since metal gear solid 2. Glad Punchline didn't turn me off these games

Did you play it until you got that platinum trophy? Fun times there..

ibyea

Banned
I'm tainted by having read Uchikoshi's earlier works from which VLR borrows really heavily from. I came away from it glad that they had fixed some of the structural problems of 999, but disappointed in how unoriginal it was and wondering if Uchikoshi had run out of ideas.

I have also read other Uchikoshi works before but I still liked it better than 999. I guess it's a matter of taste.

duckroll

Btw, they cut a huge chunk of the conversation between Kenya and Satoru out in the anime. In the manga it goes on for much longer and Kenya says a bunch of stuff that relates to how the story uses him later on
as a time travelling abuser j/k
. I don't really miss it though, since it was really on the nose, and if they're going to be finishing up with a movie, there'll be lots of time for the audience to see it for themselves. If they're not finishing up with a movie then it won't matter because it probably means all of that is going to be cut anyway. Lol.

Btw, they cut a huge chunk of the conversation between Kenya and Satoru out in the anime. In the manga it goes on for much longer and Kenya says a bunch of stuff that relates to how the story uses him later on
as a time travelling abuser j/k
. I don't really miss it though, since it was really on the nose, and if they're going to be finishing up with a movie, there'll be lots of time for the audience to see it for themselves. If they're not finishing up with a movie then it won't matter because it probably means all of that is going to be cut anyway. Lol.
Is there actual evidence of this movie or is it still just speculation?

Mailbox

Well, do you think they will fit 10 chapters (some longer than normal) in 1 episode? This is about playing the odds. :)

Yamada-kin has taught me that decently sized 10 chapters or entire arcs in a single well made episode are completely possible.

But no I don't think they'll do it. Expect cut content

Not direct evidence, but circumstantial evidence:

1) Ito said that the anime ending would be similar to the manga ending.

2) The pace of the anime adaptation is too slow to reach the last part of the manga.

3) Fuji TV recently announced they're holding a press conference for noitamina's 2016 lineup on March 17, including news about movies.

duckroll

noitaminA is holding a press conference on March 17 to announce their 2016 slate. It will include their TV slate for the rest of the year as well as news about upcoming films under the noitaminA brand. The only unreleased film left under their brand is Genocidal Organ which got delayed when Manglobe died, so there'll be new stuff announced for sure.

Currently we're at the end of chapter 27 for Erased, after 9 episodes. The synopsis for episode 10 indicates it'll cover up to chapter 30 or 31. The manga is 44 chapters long, and many of the later chapters are very dense and long, and aren't easily cut down. The fastest the anime pace has been so far is 5 chapters in an episode. The slowest is 2 chapters in an episode. Based on the content of chapter 32, and various hints in the OP and ED of the anime, it seems reasonable to think that they will expand on that one for episode 11, rather than skim through it. Trying to be vague to avoid any sort of real spoilers.

So yeah, for now it's all speculation, but we should know in 2 weeks. :)

Erased 9

Good episode.
So Kayos mom was also a victim. Took me a second watch to notice that when Akemi looked at Kayo, she saw the eyes of her ex husband who used to beat her, which made her angry and beat her daughter instead. Sad stuff, especially it seemed like Kayo really cared for her mom at one point.

Looks like Satoru didnt forget to
save Hiromi and the other girl.
Those bitching about the lack of this development should be appeased now. I wonder who that girl at the end is.

The teacher is hilariously suspicious. It was funny watching him tryna slide into Satoru's moms DMs.

ibyea

Banned
noitaminA is holding a press conference on March 17 to announce their 2016 slate. It will include their TV slate for the rest of the year as well as news about upcoming films under the noitaminA brand. The only unreleased film left under their brand is Genocidal Organ which got delayed when Manglobe died, so there'll be new stuff announced for sure.

Currently we're at the end of chapter 27 for Erased, after 9 episodes. The synopsis for episode 10 indicates it'll cover up to chapter 30 or 31. The manga is 44 chapters long, and many of the later chapters are very dense and long, and aren't easily cut down. The fastest the anime pace has been so far is 5 chapters in an episode. The slowest is 2 chapters in an episode. Based on the content of chapter 32, and various hints in the OP and ED of the anime, it seems reasonable to think that they will expand on that one for episode 11, rather than skim through it. Trying to be vague to avoid any sort of real spoilers.

So yeah, for now it's all speculation, but we should know in 2 weeks. :)

Honestly it's for the best. I don't see the show being able to cover everything within the allotted time.

Clov

Do! I'm pretty sure you'd like it, with its strong moody atmosphere and thoughtful character portrayals. The first episode alone is worth the price of admission.

I definitely like the sound of it! It'll be on my watch list for the summer for sure. First I just need to get through Votoms and Dear Brother. Oh, and I think I also had the newer Rozen Maiden and Black Butler entries on there as well. It would probably be better if I actually wrote these down instead of keeping the list in my head.

Cornbread78

Erased 9

Looks like Satoru didnt forget to
save Hiromi and the other girl.
Those bitching about the lack of this development should be appeased now. I wonder who that girl at the end is.

I thought it was Aya, but everyone said it was actually that bitch girl that tried to blame Kayo for stealing the money.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Ao sucks. The movie is, somehow, better than AO. I don't even know what the fuck happened. Maybe they got lucky with the first E7. Regardless, don't watch AO unless you actually want to have a negative opinion about the existing characters and the fantastic universe.

Hunter X Hunter (1999) 24

The first half of the episode, with Gon struggling to recover from the poison, was excruciatingly painful to watch. Bizarrely, the anime it most reminded me of was Flowers of Evil. It was such a potent psychological portrayal of despair, deliberately shot and paced.

Tuck

Yona - 11
So much sexual tension, I can't even stand it.

Why can't White Dragon and Hak kiss already? I just want them to be happy.

duckroll

Ao sucks. The movie is, somehow, better than AO. I don't even know what the fuck happened. Maybe they got lucky with the first E7. Regardless, don't watch AO unless you actually want to have a negative opinion about the existing characters and the fantastic universe.

I am convinced that given enough time, I can edit the 24 episodes of AO into a good 12-13 episode series. I feel really confident about this. Maybe Jarmel can help too.

There is unfortunately a number of people in this thread who actually do want that. :(

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I am convinced that given enough time, I can edit the 24 episodes of AO into a good 12-13 episode series. I feel really confident about this. Maybe Jarmel can help too.

Are you just going to show the first 11 episodes then show last 2 minutes of the show and call it a day? lololololololol.

Watching AO is like watching your world fall apart. It's believing that your kid is up to great good only to find out that they've been on drugs, addicted to hookers, gambling illegally, involved with the mafia, all the while being a terrorist at the same time.

duckroll

Are you just going to show the first 11 episodes then show last 2 minutes of the show and call it a day? lololololololol.

Watching AO is like watching your world fall apart. It's believing that your kid is up to great good only to find out that they've been on drugs, addicted to hookers, gambling illegally, involved with the mafia, all the while being a terrorist at the same time.

No I actually have a rough plan in my head. It's not super detailed because I would have to check for the contents of many of the bad episodes inbetween which I have forgotten for my own sanity, to see what sort of scenes I can pick out from that. But basically I think there is enough material to create a series where Eureka returns, and Ao goes with her, and they save the world. It can be done!

Active Raid 9

So glad this is split cour so it isn't over after this season. Bossu best girl, best Willwear. Can't wait for the probable finale where all Oscar units are deployed at once.

wouldn't being a terrorist kind of overshadow everything else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom