• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sölf

It's not too late, you can still get a crash course on "Concrete Revolutio's Guide to the 20th Century" here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1118116

Starting from post 72, Narag and KenjiGlove have put a lot of effort into it!

I said it before, I don't actually really dislike the show, but every episode had the exact chain of events, bar the two parter in the middle and the last three which were also strung together. And that bored me to death.

duckroll

Sölf;197553957 said:
I said it before, I don't actually really dislike the show, but every episode had the exact chain of events, bar the two parter in the middle and the last three which were also strung together. And that bored me to death.

The complaint makes no sense though. That's like saying Sherlock Holmes is boring because every story is about him investigating a case and he solves it at the end.

Sölf

The complaint makes no sense though. That's like saying Sherlock Holmes is boring because every story is about him investigating a case and he solves it at the end.

I know that it doesn't really make sense. I mean, stuff like Cowboy Bebop or Space Dandy was also episodic. But those episodes felt different enough, for me pretty much every Concrete Revolution episode felt like this:

- Introduction of the new character in whatever time we are right now
- We enter the present and have a story surrounding this new character
- The episodes conflict is resolved and this characters story ends for now
- Fast forward into the future, past a certain event which had to be bad, because Jiro seems to be "evil" now
- Final 30-60 second scene in this future with "evil" Jiro and the episodes character which more or less either finally concludes the story or leads no where

It just felt as if I was watching the same thing over and over again with each new episode.

Thoraxes

I'm ready to see this through! Especially after that ending, i'm pumped to see where it all ends up.

Also dat Kikko!

imreadycnsso.png

Just T

Erased: 9

That was a great episode.
A little tense in the beginning with the shovel, glad she was pulled out of the way. Kayo’s mom flashback was tragic but gave reason to why she became so violent. However, like Satoru and Kayo, her tearful breakdown didn’t gain her any sympathy here. The type of person she became is unfortunate but the shit she put Kayo through is inexcusable. Luckily Satoru came through in the end and accomplished his goal, well part of it. I thought their goodbye would be full of tears tbh but good to see her get out of that environment.

Don’t know what to make of the teacher in the car scene lol suspicious still. Anyway though looking forward to see how Satoru’s plans work out from here. And will probably be irritated if this ends with a movie.

Ojisan and Marshmallow: 9

Lol nice to see things not go Mioko’s way

Mr. Nietzsche in the Convenience Store Episode 7
CctVa3vW4AAxmiN.jpg

Reminds me of the previous conversation for the magazines, but Moe is like not even as tall as Matsukoma, how short does he want someone to even be.

Funniest skit of the entire show is in this episode, when Kaede is doing the whole scary toilet scene and then when Moe wants to quit. Could not stop laughing.

I dont know how this would have worked as an anime, great choice.

Narag

Emi stuff has promise since I don't even think she appeared once Jiro was in that last costume.

Sölf;197554763 said:
-Fast forward into the future, past a certain event which had to be bad, because Jiro seems to be "evil" now
- Final 30-60 second scene in this future with "evil" Jiro and the episodes character which more or less either finally concludes the story or leads no where

I like this because I never really interpreted it this way, just that a schism formed due to his beliefs and he went out on his own. I assume leaving future events just ambiguous enough was meant to evoke this sort of reaction from viewers such that they'd each have their own opinion about Jiro's future and further reinforcing the "There is no black and white" theme the show loves.

Cornbread78

Dagashi ep.8
GQuYbTc.gif

Pretty funny episode; Saya really makes this show flow well, lol. Hotoru isn’t bad, but Saya is great because you can laugh with her and at her at the same time. Overall the show is still just OK, but it's good for a laugh or two an episode, along with some great facial reactions like the above.

Phantom World ep.9
ipMenZe.gif

Surprisingly clean episode for Phantom World at least the content was alright but definitely different/unique. Albrect is the best phantom on the show, much better than Rururururururi, lol

Narag

Hi Anime fans

Winter is almost over.
I made a video about the upcoming anime's for spring 2016.
Please let me know what your thoughts are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_-DghTtwKI

If it's against the rules of the topic.. My sincere apologies.

As someone that typically doesn't look into shows until they've started airing and possessing little if any knowledge about their respective properties beforehand, I'm appreciative at least. to see a handful of shows highlighted together.

Joker Game in particular is something I would have dismissed on name alone but that looks kinda cool like it's anime The Untouchables.

Cornbread78

Hi Anime fans

Winter is almost over.

Holy $hit, I post your rankings on here from Tumblr, lol. Watching this now.

Wait, there are some shows missing... Edit incoming.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Maybe have two separate videos for new anime and returning/ongoing.

My Hero Academia and Jo Jo will probably be the biggest anime of the season and are huge notable omissions (MHA was noted, but no PV footage)

Also Missing shows that will be pretty popular:
Asterix S2
Ushio & Toro S2
Magi: Sinbad
Ace Attorney

Will also get attention:
Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta?
Kiznaiver
Flying Witch
Mayoiga
Bakuon!!

I mean, if you were going for the straight shounan crowd then this could work, but change the title. That or show only 15 second clips for each show with the information you added onscreen and add more of the shows, including comedy/SoL shows.

Just my useless .02

Hi Anime fans

Winter is almost over.

Hmm stuff like this is more than welcome I think. And it would be good to even include it on the very first post for that season, for folks to watch the trailers without having to look individually for each show on youtube.

From the ones you showed in this video, I'm definitely looking forward to Bungou Stray Dogs. Hadn't seen Koutetsujou of the Iron Fortress before, for a second I thought it was AoT aha. Joker Game looks good too.

Will you be doing more of these covering all of the shows for next season?

EDIT: Just saw Corn's edit up top, I agree. It'd be cool if you could cover everything! Be it in a similar fashion in parts, or by compressing the footage a bit.

phaze

I'm fairly certain the reaction will be "What the fuck, get to the main plot already. When do they get to the basement" and I'll just laugh

I dunno, I marathoned the manga a few months back from the ending point of anime and I feel the next season will cover some of the best material there is in there. The first season wasn't exactly all action, there was the initial training period and then the downtime after Battle of Trost.

Perhaps, but back then this community really felt a lot more unique when it came to anime forums on the internet.

Had it not been for AnimeGAF 2013, I'd have never considered watching Kino's Journey. Now I feel that it's a show that's criminally overlooked.

Pbayne was going through Kino just a few weeks ago.

Mouryou no Haku 7-9
This sudden shift into ~40 minutes of talking a lot of it devoted to various Japanese beliefs, folklore or Kanji was a bit jarring. Needed several double takes to fully absorb all this dense info. Lots of things cleared up in episode 9, so much so it almost felt like the penultimate episode with the identity of the box killer revealed. Also,
goddamn Yoriko, I knew you were insane but I didn't think you were also dumb as a brick !

Both 7th and 8th episode felt like they could be Hamasaki's work. Even 9th though to much lesser extent. I guess my money would be on 7th at the end of the day.

Osomatsu-san 15

And yet another touching bit this time with Chibita and the flower fairy. I like how these are just a little more than silly comedic skits. You do get a few good stories here and there.

Mouryou no Haku 7-9

This sudden shift into ~40 minutes of talking a lot of it devoted to various Japanese beliefs, folklore or Kanji was a bit jarring. Needed several double takes to fully absorb all this dense info. Lots of things cleared up in episode 9, so much so it almost felt like the penultimate episode with the identity of the box killer revealed. Also,
goddamn Yoriko, I knew you were insane but I didn't think you were also dumb as a brick !

Both 7th and 8th episode felt like they could be Hamasaki's work. Even 9th though to much lesser extent. I guess my money would be on 7th at the end of the day.

7 is Hamasaki's episode.

So? My point still stands.

I doubt that more than half the people in this thread have seen it or even know what it is nowadays.

Look, I have Kino's Journey on my watchlist and I will get around to it eventually!

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Kino's Journey is great and a must watch thanks to how it handle it stories. The pace is similar to mushishi, slow, but the atmosphere is great.

Dagashi Kashi 8

lot of good face in this episode. Ah yes, those ghost stories ending are one of my complaint whenever i read japanese ghost stories for children. the book used to be popular during my childhood, filled with urban legend or horror myth like if you go to school at night and go to the music room, you'll see mozart painting start to bleed and such.

Nice captain Harlock reference.

JulianImp

Erased #9
Finally got around to watching yesterday's episode, and it was... kind of underwhelming.

The drama of having Kayo's grandmother show up to apologize to her daughter and the latter also breaking down in tears was something that felt forced and didn't manage to reach out to me as a result. I wonder what kind of repercussions could Kayo surviving have on Satoru's present, but it's most likely that he'll just go back to the exact same situation for convenience's sake, except the show could now have an adult Kayo show up to help him out sometime.

Satoru's teacher freaking out like that at the kid spotting his stash of lollipops could be a red herring. I mean, him saying "I got hooked on candy after I quite smoking" makes sense, but that ridiculous "oh shit" reaction as Satoru found the candy in his car was too much for such a simple and mundane explanation. Then there's also the fact that he happened to be on the same route that girl takes on her way back from cram school, and that whoever had all that stuff packed inside the abandoned bus happened to take them all out on the same day Satoru told his teacher that they had kept Kayo hidden in there...

Kenya's also weird, since he appears to be way too perceptive of Satoru's true intentions at times and his thoughts and intentions are really hard to read whenever he interacts with Satoru. Like, he jokes about Satoru behaving like a novelist or detective when he's actually way sharper than Satoru and his 29-year-old mind from the future.

...Aaaand we're back to cliffhanger endings. Seeing one every now and then is okay with me, but getting one at the end of (almost) every episode is getting stale already.

Dragon Ball Z: Broly: The Second Coming

Movie%2B-%2B010%2B-%2BBroly%2BSecond%2BComing.rmvb_snapshot_30.31_%5B2015.03.25_13.01.06%5D.png

That's Trunks piss BTW. This film is such high class. /s

...Broly was a mistake. He's nothing but trash.

So can we talk about the Legendary Super Saiyan (you know the thing that Goku barely defeated in the last film) struggles to kill Goten, Trunks and Videl? Fucking Videl, a not-Saiyan being, is apparently too much for Broly to kill. It's not like Goten and Trunks do much to hurt Broly either.

And that's just one of my problems with this film. The fights are shit. Poorly paced and poorly choreographed do not make a good combination. And it's not like the story does anything to redeem that. It's boring, forgettable, uninteresting, full of plot holes and only serves to pad things out when its not showing Broly fail to destroy everything and everyone.

Speaking of Broly, he's even worse here than in the first film. Literally all he does in this film is grunt, laugh scream and yell Kakarot who's only in this for two minutes at most. And that's not even getting into how this is supposed to be his film yet he seems completely unimportant compared to Goten and Trunks.

Oddly enough Broly isn't even the worst part of the film. No instead that honour goes to Goten and Trunks whose juvenile antics make me want to go in the film and do what Broly is seemingly incapable of. It's stupid, unfunny, annoying and the kind of shit I'd expect from a shitty western animated show. It's also surprisingly repetitive. Like the film has two jokes about Goten and Trunks peeing. Like really? The joke was so good it had to be done twice? It wasn't even good the first time.

As for what's good uh... the animation's not awful I suppose. It recycles animation a good chunk of the time including from the first film where Broly becomes the Legendary Super Saiyan. But it's not Return of Cooler tier so there's that. And the family Kamehameha was nice. Also the ending, cause it was bloody over, at long last.

This was awful. Truly, genuinely awful. It may very well the worst DBZ film I've seen so far. And apparently Bio-Broly is supposed to be worse. I can't imagine how Bio Broly could possibly be worse.

Hopefully Kouta and Utsugi Lenka get cool powerups and also LETS SURVIVE. Please dont kill Kouta or Utsugi Lenka.

Well we really can't predict what's gonna happen for this one. At least not anymore. I like it, since I plan on playing Resurrection this Summer, although the game shares some plot elements with the show, this is definitely going to put a different spin on things. The way the plot is presented to us in the show makes more sense for the medium and it's a lot more interesting to watch too. The plot in the game, although it's there, it's nothing to write home about, serviceable enough for you to keep moving on to your next mission. It wouldn't really work on television.

BLESSED

Neo Member
As someone that typically doesn't look into shows until they've started airing and possessing little if any knowledge about their respective properties beforehand, I'm appreciative at least. to see a handful of shows highlighted together.

Joker Game in particular is something I would have dismissed on name alone but that looks kinda cool like it's anime The Untouchables.

Holy $hit, I post your rankings on here from Tumblr, lol. Watching this now.

Wait, there are some shows missing... Edit incoming.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Maybe have two separate videos for new anime and returning/ongoing.

My Hero Academia and Jo Jo will probably be the biggest anime of the season and are huge notable omissions (MHA was noted, but no PV footage)

Also Missing shows that will be pretty popular:
Asterix S2
Ushio & Toro S2
Magi: Sinbad
Ace Attorney

Will also get attention:
Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta?
Kiznaiver
Flying Witch
Mayoiga
Bakuon!!

I mean, if you were going for the straight shounan crowd then this could work, but change the title. That or show only 15 second clips for each show with the information you added onscreen and add more of the shows, including comedy/SoL shows.

Just my useless .02

Hmm stuff like this is more than welcome I think. And it would be good to even include it on the very first post for that season, for folks to watch the trailers without having to look individually for each show on youtube.

From the ones you showed in this video, I'm definitely looking forward to Bungou Stray Dogs. Hadn't seen Koutetsujou of the Iron Fortress before, for a second I thought it was AoT aha. Joker Game looks good too.

Will you be doing more of these covering all of the shows for next season?

EDIT: Just saw Corn's edit up top, I agree. It'd be cool if you could cover everything! Be it in a similar fashion in parts, or by compressing the footage a bit.

Thanks guys! We will definitely make new videos. One of them will be upcoming summer animes. But in the mean time we will focus on other animes coming in spring. i.a. Magi: Sinbad etc. We try to keep it under 7 minutes. Therefore some shows didn't make it into the video.

JulianImp

While I was trying to find some kind of appeal in Cross Ange, I just realized the red-haired girl also undergoes a ridiculous personality change that made no sense: First she was so commited to her lesbian lover that Ange got killed that she tried to get the latter killed whenever she had an opportunity... but then she says she hated being treated like a toy and that she was only pretending to be friends with the rest of the team while she awaited for a chance to escape? And then she's all "no hard feelings" with Ange as she sets off towards her hometown? Seriously?

I haven't watched any more episodes yet (still at the start of #9), but it still remains a completely irredeemable show with not a single good thing in it so far.

Dragon Ball Z: Broly: The Second Coming

I'm kind of glad I never got into watching most of these DBZ movies as a kid (except for the first Broly movie, the one with the huge tree, and the one with Janemba).

phaze

So? My point still stands.

I doubt that more than half the people in this thread have seen it or even know what it is nowadays.

So you'd be able to "consider" watching Kino's Journey by reading through AnimeGaf 2016 too. And since I'm fairly sure someone else was also going through it not long before Pbayne's run, it gets a healthy dose of spotlight in here.

Moryou no Hako 10
I feel like this is the first show where my enjoyment is really hampered a fair bit by lack of knowledge of Japanese culture. The complicated deductions and explanations of various Moryou and Oni, the exorcisms pertaining to them and some additional Kanji hocus pocus definitely lost me in places.

Weird, lacklustre ending to this episode. In the last minute we get to see
Kubo's escape
from the police but 5 seconds and a scene switch later we find that out
that he's already kaput.
This, pretty shocking turn of events, one that turns (ha) upside down most of the case is delivered in a very rushed, weightless manner. You'd think such a revelation warrants a bigger effort.

Erased Episode 9
CcuBZj5XEAApXri.jpg
CcuBZjrW4AEAMrm.jpg

Yes this feels like its going in a much better direction that the Hinazuki plot and is starting out on a much better hgih than the other. Best Kenya continues to remain relevant too and is now the close confidant. Hopefully he gets a route as well.

Cornbread78

Planetes ep.13
Excellent episode as a follow-up to the heroics of that last episode. The crew all went home to earth to spent time with their families. We got to meet Hachi's little brother and how his aspirations are to move past Hachi and his father, but as an engineer, something Yuri helped his with. I guess it was a joint therapy session for Yuri and Hachi's little bro, as they ended up helping each other grow in the end. Also, that beach scene with Hachi x Tanabe. Yeah, it's happening, it's just a matter of time. I loved how they cut to the music during that section, as well when they were talking on the phone and her dad was trying to snoop in; she's a grown woman pap, stand down, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom