• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eureka Seven 2-3

Action was a lot better on the second episode, that's good. The cast still seems to be the strongest point of the show, it's actually quite diverse and down to earth, that's good too. I'm not sure if it's something that hasn't been disclosed in the show yet, but are the military bad and if so, what's the Geckostate's object?

Oh don't worry, that stuff clears up roughly within...the next 10 hours of the show!

pbayne

That bear is more moe than the average bear.

201501062303288eemhspz.jpg

Does that bear have the oculus rift?

I'm actually enjoying the second half of Stardust Crusaders. I think that's because we've shifted from terrible battle encounters to stands that make for really bizarre and fun 2 episode adventures. That fetus bit btw. The fuck... Most bizarre thing yet, but this time it wasn't some creepy sexual stuff, so it's actually great.

Line_HTX

BTW, I came across this on Tumblr and had a good chuckle. I know how much some of you love your Yuri:

Top 20 Yuri Anime Series According to Japanese Fans:

20/19 (tie)) Akuma no Riddle and DokiDoki! PreCure
18) Battle Athletes
17) Madlax
16) Mikagura School Suite
15) Revolutionary Girl Utena
14) Noir
13) Aria The Scarlet Ammo AA
12) El Cazador de la Bruja
11) Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san
10) Simoun
9) Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid
8) Yuri Kuma Arashi
7) Kannazuki no Miko
6) Aoi Hana
5) Strawberry Panic
4) Maria-sama ga Miteru
3) Pandora in the Crimson Shell: Ghost Urn
2) Sakura Trick
1)
Yuru Yuri

http://haruhichan.com/wpblog/65827/top-20-yuri-anime-series-according-to-japanese-fans/]

Man, Utena, Noir, and Kannazuki no Miko should be higher. This list is doo-doo.

I like that Strawberry Panic is Top 5, and I've never seen Maria-sama. The only thing I know about it is the super polite greeting.

Good day to you, onee-sama.

Heavy Object Episode 21 You Can't Put a Price on Honor - The Critical Running Battle on Victoria Island II

Havia and Qwenthurs scene before they ran into the battle maids was one of their most emotional yet. Im glad Qwenthur is so persuasive and also that Havia just will never abandon Havia no matter how much it risks his life. Also yet another time in which Havia is saving Qwenthur from gunfire.

I'll just say, regarding your earlier question, that Eureka 7 holds off on a lot of, even basic, world building, till the last 2/5 of the show.

This statement is complete nonsense. Eureka Seven hides things from the viewer yes, but what it's doing is foreshadowing the elements of the world that play a huge role in the show's second half.

In the mean time, many of the first few episodes are used to lay out the foundations of the characters and the current status quo of what's going on the world they live in. The show establishes the bare minimum of what one needs to know going into it and develops on it later, like a good show should.

Quasar

Galko-chan 9 - Galko-chan really is easily influenced by her environment.

She and Her Cat 1 - Better than I expected. Wonder how many episodes its supposed to be. Of course I really liked the film and I am a cat person so I was pretty strongly predisposed to liking it.

This statement is complete nonsense. Eureka Seven hides things from the viewer yes, but what it's doing is foreshadowing the elements of the world that play a huge role in the show's second half.

In the mean time, many of the first few episodes are used to lay out the foundations of the characters and the current status quo of what's going on the world they live in. The show establishes the bare minimum of what one needs to know going into it and develops on it later, like a good show should.

lao1Jr1.png

JulianImp

I'm actually enjoying the second half of Stardust Crusaders. I think that's because we've shifted from terrible battle encounters to stands that make for really bizarre and fun 2 episode adventures. That fetus bit btw. The fuck... Most bizarre thing yet, but this time it wasn't some creepy sexual stuff, so it's actually great.

Glad to see you're enjoying SDC part 2. Still, with the fetus bit do you mean the Alessi encounter? That definitely was one of the more bizarre episodes I remember, that's for sure.

It's a shame memes have kind of spoiled Dio for many though, because I bet it must've been cool to come into the crusader's battle against him without knowing what was in store for them.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 9:

I often times find it hard to put words to processor when describing this show because it is rare you run across a work that is so richly detailed and sophisticated as this. At any rate the paths Sukeroku and Yakumo have completed their divergence and the romantic aspirations of Miyokichi, who might be my favorite character at this point, have reached their forgone conclusion, this is a flashback after all.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 9

I must say this continues to be the bets anime of this season for me by far, it feels completly different from most anime airing.
This episode only adding more on top and gripping me fully for the whole 22 minutes, seeing
Sukeroku's dream of a modernized Rakugo and inheriting the name of his master get completly crushed really hit hard, not to even mention when Kiku goes to break off with Miyo which was really hard to watch, in the good way.

Next episode looks like a timehop from the aftercredits

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Is there enough source material for it? Man, I hope there is!

BTW, I came across this on Tumblr and had a good chuckle. I know how much some of you love your Yuri:

Top 20 Yuri Anime Series According to Japanese Fans:

20/19 (tie)) Akuma no Riddle and DokiDoki! PreCure
18) Battle Athletes
17) Madlax
16) Mikagura School Suite
15) Revolutionary Girl Utena
14) Noir
13) Aria The Scarlet Ammo AA
12) El Cazador de la Bruja
11) Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san
10) Simoun
9) Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid
8) Yuri Kuma Arashi
7) Kannazuki no Miko
6) Aoi Hana
5) Strawberry Panic
4) Maria-sama ga Miteru
3) Pandora in the Crimson Shell: Ghost Urn
2) Sakura Trick
1)
Yuru Yuri

http://haruhichan.com/wpblog/65827/top-20-yuri-anime-series-according-to-japanese-fans/

Do you all notice? There is no Euphorium listed here…. remember that while waiting for S2....

sSaGNff.jpg

I have several issues with this list but I suppose such things do not really matter. Also, yes, I noticed that and this is why I have issues with Euphonium.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Anyway, on a more serious note, while pointing out that Euphonium is not on that list, there are much bigger missing series, for example where is Symphnogear? The biggest one is where the flying fuck is Lyrical Nanoha?

Rakugo - 09

The show has done a good job to make me attached to the characters, which made the impact of looming events in this episode stronger than I initially expected.
I liked the cinematography in this episode. Lots of quick cuts, reflections and visual metaphors made it a more engaging experience overall to me, with some nice alternative art as a cherry on top.

Heavy Object Episode 21

u601f4t.jpg

"Diamonds are a girls' best friends right?"

Bwahahaha! I wasn't expecting the Maid (Wydine Uptown) to be voiced by Satomi Arai (That is her, right?) The moment the Combat Maids showed up my enjoyment levels shot up as well.

And yes for those of you who were asking, those are probably not legit Objects as Qwenthur was speculating.

I also thought it was unintentionally hilarious that the Mechanic Grandma shoved a submachine gun onto her son-in-law, I mean I was expecting a pistol but that would definitely deter anyone from stopping you :heh:

Near the end of the episode I got really hyped!

HFO5izAl.jpg

Assassination Classroom S2 9

I think they did a great job with the episode, the scenes with Nagisa's mom were quite intense, and overall it didn't dragged on.

I really like Nagisa as a protagonist. Don't really know why, but it seems kinda refreshing for a shonen show. The guy struggles in a lot of ways but still manages to be the one on the class with the most guts when shit hits the fan.

phaze

Mouryou no Hako 11

I've no idea how, why and how
but Sekiguchi will turn out to be some kind of hidden personality, amnesiac killer won't he ?

Mouryou no Hako 11

I've no idea how, why and how
but Sekiguchi will turn out to be some kind of hidden personality, amnesiac killer won't he ?

Ha ha.
He's just psychologically susceptible, especially to literary influences. Sekiguchi is actually the main viewpoint character for the novel series from which this is adapted.

Rakugo - 09

Yet another masterful episode. There were a bunch of really great shots this time and interesting use of segueing into some nice stills. The characterization is so, so good. There's so many facets to Miyo and it's tough to see her never ceasing to struggle.
Her scene with her in Sukeroku's home was depressive in some ways. It's obvious Miyo isn't really happy.She adapted herself to live like this with Sukeroko and even bears his child but she mostly did so because she had little else to do. Kiku has a good point that she should've tried to be more independent and all but with who she is and what she's been through, she had given up on that.

So many well written, 'properly' flawed characters really make every conversation shine.

phaze

Mouryou no Hako 13 END

How can I be happy if holding hands, any cube objects or even fireworks will now forever remind me of your show and of the severely wrong stuff that transpires in it ?

Aki-at

Assassination Classroom S2 - 9

If there was a level directly below Kayo's mum then
Nagisa's mum
would be just under her.

The exchange in the kitchen was pretty intense and probably more creepy than anything Asano has been shown as. The humour has picked up again whilst being even more serious than the last few episodes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
She and Her Cat -Everything Flows- 01

Relatable.
Is it :Narag?

I see GATE is still doing its nonsensical split-screens.
How else do you show the PM being convinced by the honor of a fellow Japanese politician to do the right thing???

Rakugo - 09

Yet another masterful episode. There were a bunch of really great shots this time and interesting use of segueing into some nice stills. The characterization is so, so good. There's so many facets to Miyo and it's tough to see her never ceasing to struggle.
Her scene with her in Sukeroku's home was depressive in some ways. It's obvious Miyo isn't really happy.She adapted herself to live like this with Sukeroko and even bears his child but she mostly did so because she had little else to do. Kiku has a good point that she should've tried to be more independent and all but with who she is and what she's been through, she had given up on that.

So many well written, 'properly' flawed characters really make every conversation shine.
So I take it that we'll never get back to the "present" in this run of Showa Rakugo at this point. Even when she gets a decent role, Kobayashi gets screwed. :p

Line_HTX

Please Tell Me, Galko-chan 09

Ojou smug. Closeup Ojou SMUG~

No, come on. I want to see Galko's older sister's face in her professional clothes, NOT during a flashback, and why the hell would her bangs cover her eyes?

Damnit! LOL

GAO!!! Galko doing a Bear Shock.

They're talking about metal. Fucking metal music. I've been waiting a long time for this, WHOO!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The show will probably go back to the present during episode 12 or 13.
I feel like they shouldn't have even bothered with the stuff in the "present". It basically ruined my expectations of the show, and other than perhaps setting up the mystery of why the dude is taking care of some other guy's daughter, there's no real purpose to showing us this story of a girl who wants to do Rakugo but isn't allowed to given that there will not be any pay off to it.

If only real politicians were like that
I'm sure Trump will say that when he's President next year!

Cornbread78

Gate ep.21
Looks like the SDF is finally getting the green light to fuck shit up next week. Prince Z needs to get another ass kicking. Oh and I hope the douchebag journalist gets a sword shoved up his ass next week too. I guess the media is the same around the world and in anime, lol.

Rose of Versailles 06

Ah yes, the beautiful city of Paris circa 1772 - with its shit covered streets, rotting food and overwhelming poverty. What a delightful place for a Queen to visit.

I feel like they shouldn't have even bothered with the stuff in the "present". It basically ruined my expectations of the show, and other than perhaps setting up the mystery of why the dude is taking care of some other guy's daughter, there's no real purpose to showing us this story of a girl who wants to do Rakugo but isn't allowed to given that there will not be any pay off to it.

Sounds like a problem more on your end than anything else. Anyway, it is possible the second half of the manga will be adapted into anime later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom