• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Second Zeta Gundam bluray set arrived a month early. i feel like i should actually watch it again now.

Man, I completely forgot about these.

I should really pick the series up on Blu-ray given how much I enjoyed it back in the day. And it'll still be less money than the $200 I spent to buy the show on DVD.

So there's no episode of Garo Crimson Moon this week.

Now, on one hand, this means I don't have to suffer through it today.

On the other hands, if the show had aired today, it would have ended a week sooner....

...and my gimp mask finally arrived.

Sterok

Pandora 9

Lots of action this time. Reporter girl continues to have worst luck. Or maybe best luck. Clarion and Takumi don't screw around, though they've got separate objectives. Takumi will probably do the right thing when push comes to shove. Probably.

She and Her Cat -Everything Flows- 1

Dang, this is good. Really nice atmosphere, attractive art and animation, especially for the cat, and spectacular cinematography. A bittersweet mood that captures the sort of mood Shinkai likes to go for better than Shinkai himself. Good music too. I like the tender and gentle characterization going on here. Looking forward to the rest of this short series.

pbayne

So my Patlabor dvd just decided it didn't want to work so

Serial experiments Lain 1

Im in a weird position in that this maybe the show I know the most about without ever watching it.

Really interesting audio direction in this episode. The audio was the main factor that drove the episode really. There was always constant chatter, grossly accurate depictions of people chewing(yuck), just constant background noise that usually overpowered whatever was happening in the foreground. Dialogue between characters is just short, lifeless bursts which I can already see how that will tie into the themes.

Funny obvious irony when Lains dad tells her to connect with people while he gawks at 4 screens and ignores her.

There was one stylistic choice that I can't really nail down yet what it was. The show uses a lot of light and shadows, some of which are splotched with color. At the start it was red, so I kind of thought "Oh the blood of the girl who committed suicide" but then it changed to blue, so maybe not?

Also I don't much about coding but isn't "Hello, how are you?" the first thing they teach you how to do in coding?

Dagashi Kashi 08

yo6qyAm.jpg
v9YMXDY.jpg
ERSFaPU.jpg

otp

better then yamishibai s3. The second skit wasn't as good tho

Galko 09

still aots. Galko's sister da gawd

Sekko boyz 09

i cant fucking believe this show.

Ascheroth

Heavy Object - 21

hVD9LIC.jpg
EVRZDEV.jpg

This fucking show.
And you know what? Their attire and everything and them being on the battlefield and popping up out of nowhere like this actually makes sense and is plausible.
Let me repeat this: This isn't a 'lol, let's just add battle maids, because we can' situation. There's actually a fucking believable explanation for this. Hoooooow.

This show is a work of art.

Qurupeke

Eureka Seven 1

Here we go. The first episode wasn't really exciting but it wasn't bad. Code Geass was exciting from the very first episode, for comparison's sake. I liked the mechas, but I'm not a fan of the surfboards. Those look somewhat stupid. I also liked the character designs, maybe except Renton who sucks. Not sure what else I can say about the first episode, it was really unmemorable. I hope things will heat up and get more interesting as we progress.

Cornbread78

Eureka Seven 1

Here we go. The first episode wasn't really exciting but it wasn't bad. Code Geass was exciting from the very first episode, for comparison's sake. I liked the mechas, but I'm not a fan of the surfboards. Those look somewhat stupid. I also liked the character designs, maybe except Renton who sucks. Not sure what else I can say about the first episode, it was really unmemorable. I hope things will heat up and get more interesting as we progress.

You are in for a long ride my friend. I found there to be a LOT of peeks and valleys in E7, but it's a worthwhile trip.

Eureka Seven 1

The first few episodes of the show are a bit slow as they mainly focuses on establishing the world and characters, but it definitely picks up more and more after that.

JCG

Eureka Seven 1

Oh, the surfboards will never go away. I like them though. It's a cool gimmick for robots. Renton does get plenty of actual character development and relationship growth in the long run, which makes everything worthwhile, but sure...he (and some people around him) may be hard to appreciate for a while. Other than that, the first episode is pure "this is the start of a teenager's journey" and the next few will live up to that statement.

Eureka Seven 1

You should probably know something about Renton.

Renton is an idiot. A huge one. But he's an idiot because he's a kid, and that's important to the plot.

If you can accept that, you'll have a good time with Eureka Seven.

Eureka Seven 1

While I love E7. Oh gosh the first third of the show is fucking awful and Renton is the fucking worst piece of shit.

pbayne

Lain 2

Super eerie episode. The whole horrorish atmosphere had me on edge from start to finish. Fuck that mega stalker creep hiding behind the telephone pole.

Episode introduced the concept of Lain having a doppelganger(which might be related to someone assuming the identity of the dead girl from episode 1?). I wonder what the payoff for that will be because there were a lot of small tidbits thrown around like Lain having an "imaginary friend" or even it could have been her sister. The ending where Lain spoke in someone else's voice did throw me for a loop, but I guess it did tie in to the identity crises that this episode had going on.

I wonder if this will run through the series but the constant references of people telling Lain to grow up or act more mature; I love how they are undercut by Lain wearing that adorably childish bear onesie.

Edit: Weird observation but the voice that introduces the episodes is the exact same as the one who introduces the bosses in No More Heroes.

Cornbread78

Heavy Object ep.21:
1kbKb1C.jpg

Can I just say I love this show. They really do a good job amping up the stakes in this episode for next week. Poor Quenthar had to use his pillaged loot to pay for those fine beauties to help him fight in the upcoming battle, but it will be all worth it, right? Havia and Quenthar's confession to Granny was great and right on point like always. The first part of their mission has been kicked into gear, but lets see how they pull it off! Damn I don't want to wait another week!

Also, BGBW, we have 8 pages left, are you already done with the OP2 for this season? Are we going the whole way to 220 pages, or are you going to drop it sooner? (really only about 7 pages left, which will be gone by Sun..)
3FMqvmF.gif

Everyone wants to know.

Sölf

Heavy Object 21
Mercenary Maid Squad? I approve. I hope they appear more often in the future (even if this season ends in 3 weeks). This show is just great. It needs a second season ASAP.

Very random question...

I am an Ergo Proxy fan, obviously (see avatar), but do not own it on any home media due to a lengthy wait for a potential Blu-ray release, which has not yet come to fruition. I have been getting impatient and am teetering on a DVD purchase on Amazon due to a good price point. Before I do this, should I hold out any hope that this gets a Blu-ray release?

e_i

Heavy Object - 21

And you know what? Their attire and everything and them being on the battlefield and popping up out of nowhere like this actually makes sense and is plausible.
Let me repeat this: This isn't a 'lol, let's just add battle maids, because we can' situation. There's actually a fucking believable explanation for this. Hoooooow.

This show is a work of art.

Battle maids? Why the fuck not.

Cornbread78

Sölf;197584353 said:
Heavy Object 21
Mercenary Maid Squad? I approve. I hope they appear more often in the future (even if this season ends in 3 weeks). This show is just great. It needs a second season ASAP.

Is there enough source material for it? Man, I hope there is!

BTW, I came across this on Tumblr and had a good chuckle. I know how much some of you love your Yuri:

Top 20 Yuri Anime Series According to Japanese Fans:

20/19 (tie)) Akuma no Riddle and DokiDoki! PreCure
18) Battle Athletes
17) Madlax
16) Mikagura School Suite
15) Revolutionary Girl Utena
14) Noir
13) Aria The Scarlet Ammo AA
12) El Cazador de la Bruja
11) Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san
10) Simoun
9) Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid
8) Yuri Kuma Arashi
7) Kannazuki no Miko
6) Aoi Hana
5) Strawberry Panic
4) Maria-sama ga Miteru
3) Pandora in the Crimson Shell: Ghost Urn
2) Sakura Trick
1)
Yuru Yuri

http://haruhichan.com/wpblog/65827/top-20-yuri-anime-series-according-to-japanese-fans/

Do you all notice? There is no Euphorium listed here…. remember that while waiting for S2....

sSaGNff.jpg

Ascheroth

Is there enough source material for it? Man, I hope there is!

You bet there is.
We're nearing the end of volume 3 out of 11.

If the remaining volumes have the same amount of content there is enough of it to make 2 more seasons of the same length and an additional single cour.

...But I'm not sure what the chances for that to actually happen would be....

pbayne

Lain 3

Building on from the last episode, starting to blur the lines between an online persona and reality. Haha I can relate to Lain with younger kids seemingly having a better grasp of technology.

A lot of the time the direction pulls the same tricks as Eva. Characters almost never occupy the screen together and their gaze pretty much never meets, plus they almost never actually listen to each, conversations generally break down very quickly. Nice way to show the disconnection between the characters. (Though I was surprised that Lain seemingly has some friends.)

Great visual storytelling with the last shot of Lain in the very frilly feminine nightdress instead of her bear onesie. Well built off the last episode of people telling her to act more mature(or at least what she perceives to be mature)

Cornbread78

You bet there is.
We're nearing the end of volume 3 out of 11.

If the remaining volumes have the same amount of content there is enough of it to make 2 more seasons of the same length and an additional single cour.

...But I'm not sure what the chances for that to actually happen would be....

Seriously? That is awesome news. The show does nothing amazing, but is such a treat to watch every week. It is a great mix of action, adventure fun and humor. We'll have to see how sales are for the BD/dvds.

Qurupeke

Eureka Seven 2-3

jKc1gMC.png

The girl with that pink thing under her eye is the best.

Action was a lot better on the second episode, that's good. The cast still seems to be the strongest point of the show, it's actually quite diverse and down to earth, that's good too. I'm not sure if it's something that hasn't been disclosed in the show yet, but are the military bad and if so, what's the Geckostate's object?

Also, I forgot to mention that before but that OPsounds so similar to Code Geass'.

Oh, the surfboards will never go away.

Noooo. :(

Divine Gate Episode 9
Ccu0rfmWIAArBdq.jpg

Odd to do Shakespeare stuff in this but it did help to develop all the lead characters and share some of their background. Akane was the best while Aoto was perfect for the role of the bed ridden boy.

phaze

Oh man, their reason for existence is going to be even more pointless than the Black Knights in R2, isn't it?

No, it's not that. I ... don't really want to colour your opinion of this with my own vehement anger I hold toward certain issues related to that. You'll see for yourself.

I'll just say, regarding your earlier question, that Eureka 7 holds off on a lot of, even basic, world building, till the last 2/5 of the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom