• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gate 21

Ehhh, a lot happened but everything seemed stagnant at the same time. I guess an evil journalist showed up. Oh and Japanese politicians don't like winning elections, the people are more important.

Cornbread78

Galko-chan ep.5-9
Well thise were interesting to say the least. Galko-chan is waay too gullible and her tiny friend is a meanie for picking on her all the time.

Sekko Boys 9

If there was ever any doubt that Giorgio was the best SEKKO Boy, this episode kicks out that doubt to the curb. Giorgio is a boss ass motherfucker, taking care of his team from the darkness and shady side of the business. And the ending scene made me lolz. What a man what a man what a man

Line_HTX

Galko-chan ep.5-9
Well thise were interesting to say the least. Galko-chan is waay too gullible and her tiny friend is a meanie for picking on her all the time.

Hey man, Otako is pretty hilarious herself. In fact, all three of them are funny in their own way.

Plus Otako makes some funny faces too.

Majin Bone - 33

Man, at this rate the entirety of Nepos is going to be staying at the Ryuujin household.

It's pretty amazing at just how much Shougo's father is willing to believe his cover-ups. Though I'm willing to bet that he knows something's up and is going to find out right before the final battle or something.

Rakugo 09

Each episode comes and each week the levels of greatness on this thing are brought up higher. This episode was fantastic. This has become my AOTS, and a very strong candidate for AOTY altogether. I think the last time I got to watch a "masterpiece" to the eyes and brain like this was with Hyouka. The complexity behind these characters was brought to the table today as we saw the roles of who is better than who getting reversed.

Narag

I'm actually enjoying the second half of Stardust Crusaders. I think that's because we've shifted from terrible battle encounters to stands that make for really bizarre and fun 2 episode adventures. That fetus bit btw. The fuck... Most bizarre thing yet, but this time it wasn't some creepy sexual stuff, so it's actually great.

Egypt arc is more akin to Battle Tendency with how goofy and unpredictable it is.

Narag

Got these today:

2016-03-0416.33.0773sdn.jpg

Towa no Quon was $5 so I added it on for that free shipping.

lol this was my exact order to get free shipping too. Towa no Quon shipped earlier with another order though.

Majin Bone - 33

Man, at this rate the entirety of Nepos is going to be staying at the Ryuujin household.

It's pretty amazing at just how much Shougo's father is willing to believe his cover-ups. Though I'm willing to bet that he knows something's up and is going to find out right before the final battle or something.

I don't know what you mean by believe. He saw right through Shougo and asked him straightup "So you saw your mom, huh? How's she doing?" He seems to have faith in both Shougo and Chie, and trusts them enough to not probe too deeply into what they're up to.

I don't know what you mean by believe. He saw right through Shougo and asked him straightup "So you saw your mom, huh? How's she doing?" He seems to have faith in both Shougo and Chie, and trusts them enough to not probe too deeply into what they're up to.

I understand that, I just have a feeling in my gut that tells me that things are going to escalate to a point where they won't be able to hide the fact that they're fighting aliens anymore, which is what I was referring to, haha.

Man, Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash might be my favorite anime this season. Erased, Iron Blooded Orphans, and Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju are all great too, but every episode of Grimgar just blows me away.

I was expecting another Log Horizon/Sword Art Online/.Hack anime about getting stuck in an MMO, but Grimgar really differentiates itself from other anime of the same theme. I really, really like how Grimgar uses prolonged silence, probably more than any other series I've watched. And for a show that's ostensibly an action anime, it's unique in how slowly paced and relationship-focused it is.

There's something about how it portrays loss that really kicks at something in me, and I think the show's already made me cry two or three times in the few episodes we've had. I just watched the latest episode, and it had another wonderful transition from probably the series' longest fight scene to this point, to one its most emotional scenes so far.

I'm constantly surprised at how contemplative it gets, sometimes without any dialogue, sometimes with Haru's internal monologue, but basically just long, quiet scenes saying "Look at where we are right now."

Puruzi

Banned
Man, Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash might be my favorite anime this season. Erased, Iron Blooded Orphans, and Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju are all great too, but every episode of Grimgar just blows me away.

I was expecting another Log Horizon/Sword Art Online/.Hack anime about getting stuck in an MMO, but Grimgar really differentiates itself from other anime of the same theme. I really, really like how Grimgar uses prolonged silence, probably more than any other series I've watched. And for a show that's ostensibly an action anime, it's unique in how slowly paced and relationship-focused it is.

There's something about how it portrays loss that really kicks at something in me, and I think the show's already made me cry two or three times in the few episodes we've had. I just watched the latest episode, and it had another wonderful transition from probably the series' longest fight scene to this point, to one its most emotional scenes so far.

I'm constantly surprised at how contemplative it gets, sometimes without any dialogue, sometimes with Haru's internal monologue, but basically just long, quiet scenes saying "Look at where we are right now."

run away

Cornbread78

Fairy Tail ep.1
So I just watched ep.1 on a whim since and that was actually a pretty damn good episode to start the series. The characters appear lively and interesting the comedy was good, the action was good and it had a certain character to the episode. What is it about the show everyone warned me about last year when I asked about the show?

Majin Bone 36

I wasn't expecting Klude's scar to have a backstory like that.
I'm glad he didn't die, even if Wyvern Bone did. I was worried there for a bit.
I'm really pleased by how the Nepos side has been handled and developed.

zulux21

Fairy Tail ep.1
So I just watched ep.1 on a whim since and that was actually a pretty damn good episode to start the series. The characters appear lively and interesting the comedy was good, the action was good and it had a certain character to the episode. What is it about the show everyone warned me about last year when I asked about the show?

the series is fine enjoy the ride. though I will say the first 20 eps or so didn't really make me care to watch the show, but I have enjoyed after that skipping the fillers.

I like the sorts of things in Grimgar that you mention - the silence, the contemplative scenes - and I think Ryosuke Nakamura has some good ideas in where he wants to take this series. But the pervy scenes centered around Ranta, Ranta's whole obnoxious hammy personality, and the awful music conspire to drag the show down from what it could be.

Fairy Tail ep.1
What is it about the show everyone warned me about last year when I asked about the show?

The show is heavily reliant on basic shounen tropes, the fanservice usually gets pretty over-the-top, and there are other shounen shows that do what Fairy Tail does ten times better.

That being said, this did used to be my favourite anime of all time, so I still have a certain fondness for the show and its characters.

Ha, I haven't been checking this thread too much this season, I guess it doesn't get much love around here.

I like the sorts of things in Grimgar that you mention - the silence, the contemplative scenes - and I think Ryosuke Nakamura has some good ideas in where he wants to take this series. But the pervy scenes centered around Ranta, Ranta's whole obnoxious hammy personality, and the awful music conspire to drag the show down from what it could be.

I'm really not a fan of fanservice in anime, but I don't think that Grimgar's been too much of an offender there. The first episode had them sitting around eating lunch while on their way to hunt goblins, and Ranta starts making all these lewd comments about the girls in the group, but I thought that actually had some relevance to the story as well. It was able to show how unfamiliar and uncomfortable everyone in the group was with each other. Ranta's basically going "Hey, we're all guys here, check out these women in front of us", looking for some encouragement and justification from the other guys in the group, and everyone finds it weird and creepy. I'm not sure if this was the intention, but I thought that paired up well with the action scenes where they botch killing their first goblin(s), to show how unharmonious and unnatural their group initially was. I think this is the only scene that has the camera focusing on ass/cleavage for uncomfortable lengths of time.

I think the only other fanservicey scene was when Ranta wants to peek on them taking a bath, but I don't remember it actually having much fanservice, and just chalked it up to anime trope. I see Ranta's character as someone trying really hard to be seen as a badass outsider to the group, but completely failing and just being a total ass overall. But I don't think that he really has any ill-intentions, and nobody else in the group takes him very seriously. He's also more sensitive than his exterior-persona lets on, because he gets upset at Haru that nobody in the group takes him seriously and that they've all gotten into the habit of dismissing everything he says.

The music hasn't been very memorable to me, but it's never been offensively bad. The OP sounds something straight from an early-2000's DDR game, which I think is pretty corny but nowhere near as bad as the intro to Parasyte. The only other song I can think of is the "Scenes from the next episode" music, which I like. Nothing else has stuck with me.

Story-wise, I really like how it's been going so far. I enjoy the low stake/short-term/personal goals of "We need money for food" or "We need more than one pair of clothes", etc. compared to the usual "We need to figure out how to get save everyone in this game and get them back to the real world" that every other show in the genre has. I also like the little things like showing the goblins as sentient and having their own culture.

Honestly as much as I pretend like I hate Grimgar to be cool with the rest of the guys here, I'm really enjoying it. It'll be a shame when it's over.

Gobis 4 life

m'Man

Honestly as much as I pretend like I hate Grimgar to be cool with the rest of the guys here, I'm really enjoying it. It'll be a shame when it's over.

Gobis 4 life

I've never had to pretend. I like the show quite a bit as well. Could be a lot more, and maybe it is in the LNs. Exploring more of the world, it's rules and laws, the mystery of how they all got there, etc. Really cool stuff that we most likely won't get to see with another 3 episodes.

zulux21

Gintama only has like 40 more episodes.

gintama doesn't have a dub, only reason I got past episode 20 of fairy tail is because of the dub getting me to give it another chance :p

I need to continue gintama though, as I hear it picks up right after where I stopped watching it, episode 20 lol.

Chindogg

Dagashi Kashi 6

One day we'll get that Saya x Hotaru x Coconotsu OTT.

Fairy Tail ep.2
So far 2 for 2 on the episodes. That was another good episode with Lucy becoming a guild member of Fairy Tail and some backstory on Natsu that came rather quickly. If the whole series is this fun then I'm in trouble, lol.

It's dumb at times and falls into a lot of tropes, but you basically love the absurd characters. It's a shonen ass shonen, but unafraid of being dumb as hell.

Cornbread78

Fairy Tail ep.2
So far 2 for 2 on the episodes. That was another good episode with Lucy becoming a guild member of Fairy Tail and some backstory on Natsu that came rather quickly. If the whole series is this fun then I'm in trouble, lol.

Sölf

gintama doesn't have a dub, only reason I got past episode 20 of fairy tail is because of the dub getting me to give it another chance :p

I need to continue gintama though, as I hear it picks up right after where I stopped watching it, episode 20 lol.

Yes. Yes it does. I don't know how many weeks or even months it took me to slog through the first ~20 episodes. It's mainly character introduction and many of the running gags also start to get slowly introduced. But once that is done, this show becomes one of the best out there, both in comedy and in action, when action happens.

Line_HTX

Erased 09

I'm with Kayo there. Didn't really see the mother getting turned into some tragic figure because she knew she messed up, and good for her to not look at the breakdown. I'm happy she was saved and we see her smile one last time and that part was resolved.

I was wondering why Satoru seemingly glossed over the other two in the previous episode (or was it two episodes ago?) but good thing it was addressed as soon as Kayo was taken care of. Now we're getting to the point to where what's going to happen next. Not sure how much faith I should put in duckroll mentioning the staff person for the next episode.

I hope the stack of candy was just that, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a cover.

I believe in Kenya. I believe in Airi!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom