• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Actually mobile games seem to produce some of the best game-based anime, perhaps because the sparseness of the source material gives the anime staff more creative freedom. Sengoku Collection, Rage of Bahamut Genesis, Majin Bone, Show by Rock - all good stuff.

Not being hampered by fan expectation regarding the general overvaluing of game stories helps in this regard.

Luck and Logic Episode 9

Wow all the emotion and drama goes to Olga Breakchild. Painful and powerful episode seeing him as the only member of them team without a covenator and trying to stay strong.
then without his Logic card, I creyed

I like this Lucifer plot, good character I hope we do get the Olga x Lucifer result we all wanted.

Yoshichika gets good cards in the BD set.

CcyyEvPW0AAYua-.jpg:large

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Surprising lack of cosplay in this theatre. It's basically nerd central though.

Chindogg

Cornbread78

Fairy Tail ep.3-4
Natsu and Lucy continue to be interesting characters as they complete their first job together. Lucky is a pretty damn good cat companion with a great kick as well, lol. Funny seeing the standard pervy old guy trope. I'm really liking this so far, especially for a shounen series, which I'm not usually into; hood stuff.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Sekko boys 9
Well, that turn darkly hilarious. I mean, it's fucked up, but god, that shot of him crying. Salute to St. Giorgio

Oshiete Galko chan 9

Fang are cute, m'kay?

Fairy Tail ep.3-4
Natsu and Lucy continue to be interesting characters as they complete their first job together. Lucky is a pretty damn good cat companion with a great kick as well, lol. Funny seeing the standard pervy old guy trope. I'm really liking this so far, especially for a shounen series, which I'm not usually into; hood stuff.

You'll probably end up really enjoying this.

Hopefully, so far so good, but there is A LOT to watch. Is the 2014 version a completely different show?

No, it picks up right where the previous show leaves off. There's just a slight change in animation and the OST, the latter putting me off as I loved the tracks from the first series, haha.

Cornbread78

No, it picks up right where the previous show leaves off. There's just a slight change in animation and the OST, the latter putting me off as I loved the tracks from the first series, haha.

Crap, so there's about 275 episodes to watch? Shit.. Almost no excuse to not watch Gintama as well at some point if I stick with FT.

not that bookstore scene, although this too was a great scene.

But the one in Kizu.

Oh, Kizumonogatari isn't playing anywhere in the northeast unfortunately.

pbayne

Rakugo 9

Despite being a flashback and kind of knowing where every character involved ultimately ends up at, the journey to get there has been incredible. It would be interesting to go back and watch episode 1 with all the context in place now. Miyokochi and Sukeroku is a toxic relationship if ive ever seen one.

The direction was pretty extravagant. It's always great but maybe in a more restrained, thoughtful way. I think the added flair just heightened to match the intensity of the drama of this episode. Good stuff.

Though there was one oddity, a few of the scenes indoors had the bottom half of the screen cut off in a complete back bar. The fact that it happened two or three times just drew my attention to it, i dunno what it added.just looked very strange.

Ace Attorney CM.

It looks very... accurate to the games.

Should've gotten Shaft to do it!

Actually mobile games seem to produce some of the best game-based anime, perhaps because the sparseness of the source material gives the anime staff more creative freedom. Sengoku Collection, Rage of Bahamut Genesis, Majin Bone, Show by Rock - all good stuff.

Because Japan only cares about bad mobile games. This is of course all Duckroll's fault.

Durarara!! X2 The Third Arc Episode 33 – Walking on Thin Ice

Really Celty, I was almost glad we could be rid of Shizuo.

Rokujo and Masaomi scene was best of the episode,such a good team.

Shijima could be a future antagonist I hope, such a good character thats done nothing but hang around and say one or two lines an episode.

Prince of Stride Alternative 4-9

Caught up to this finally, and it remains a lot of fun. I think it strikes a pretty good balance between humor and melodrama - certainly much better than Ishizuka's last show of Hanayamata. Ishizuka's stylistic quirks generally work well in this series as well; they aren't as gratuitous and distracting as they are in, say, No Game No Life, and help to create a slick sense of style that fits well with the sport of Stride. Could use a little less color saturation at times, but it doesn't bother me too much. The music and sound effects are also great in both the dramatic and humorous moments. I like when the ones used to portray Stride are put to sillier uses, such as the ping pong match in episode 7 or the snow cone eating in episode 9.

Overall it's a show that's pretty successful at what it wants to do, which is why it's probably Taku Kishimoto's best work this season.

Rakugo 9

That was great. It was already the best of the season, but now it's even clearer.

The pieces of domino fall in their place.
Sukeroku enters in a low point, with his downfall in the Association (and this being decades ago and in Japan, it's clear you can't go your merry way without them) and Miyukichi is close to get advantage of him in that moment.
In reality, Yakumo's decision to break with her was the right one, it's clear now she hasn't a lot of redeeming points, while at first she argued she took prostitution because she was left alone after the war, here she show she just want the easy path on life, with her new plan of being someone's else mistress.
In a way it says a lot the woman of the story is like that, as the author has previously done yaoi works.

Of course, we also see that Yakumo wasn't the only envious of Sukeroku, it was the same the other way around.

As in the last episodes, the Rakugo scenes shown are brief but intense and perfectly done. Great variety of facial expressions, accompanied of a great VA job and well directed.

Oh yeah, and as bonus the episode looked very nice. Great use of the night & sakura theme.

Grexeno

Erased 9

"I am definitely not a serial killer. Please pay no attention to the glove compartment full to bursting with candy."

"Here have some candy."

Rakugo 9

Though there was one oddity, a few of the scenes indoors had the bottom half of the screen cut off in a complete back bar. The fact that it happened two or three times just drew my attention to it, i dunno what it added.just looked very strange.

I didn't notice until it was too late, but my friend noticed it from the start. I suppose they wanted to symbolize the narrow space he has to maneuver with his master/the association.

Line_HTX

Dagashi Kashi 08

Scary stories aren't that scary if you question the merits, lol.

Saya is a true master of the kendama! Those mini-clashing effects look like those DBZ blows, except it's just the intense juggling of the ball.

Haha, the point wasn't whether Kokonotsu and To saw Hotaru's or not, it was that she jumped almost to that height after the fortune snack said it'll happen. The hoisery probably doesn't count though.

Saya x Hotaru OTP

Erased 9

"I am definitely not a serial killer. Please pay no attention to the glove compartment full to bursting with candy."

"Here have some candy."

Hah hah yeah, it's so typical, it was also the first thing I thought.
It was so obvious that again I started thinking if could be a red herring, a false clue, and the killer is another one.

But... they are only missing 3 episodes, and we only have two adult characters in the series, and one of them is the mother of the MC. So...?

Grexeno

Hah hah yeah, it's so typical, it was also the first thing I thought.
It was so obvious that again I started thinking if could be a red herring, a false clue, and the killer is another one.

But... they are only missing 3 episodes, and we only have two adult characters in the series, and one of them is the mother of the MC. So...?
Also convenient how he was driving around right where the next victim was getting out of cram school.

pbayne

I didn't notice until it was too late, but my friend noticed it from the start. I suppose they wanted to symbolize the narrow space he has to maneuver with his master/the association.

Yeah i like that interpretation of it. Maybe it was to make the scene feel more claustrophobic.

Lain 5

Hm, i guess the online persona/versions of people are starting to somewhat clash or overlap more overtly. Its odd that it happened to Lain's sister though since she is shown to be the character most in touch with reality; from her physical relationship to the fact that shes the only character that looks people in the eye when shes talking. Added to the fact that I think this episode was more based in reality since Lain's personality did a complete 180 back to her usual morose self.

Very Tron/Matrix concepts of the "world and God" inside of the net. Also forget encroaching, Lain's room is just a giant computer now.

God Eater Episode 10
CczlgRNWEAAfL6-.jpg

Kid Utsugi Lenka was cool too, especially when he got that bat and stood to protect his sister.

Great backstory and great insert song to play over such a powerful and emotional scene
from the dads death to the maggot infested foot and the reveal. Im glad Utsugi Lenka could just take everyones promises and wishes and carry it forward to put it into practice. Makes me want to go back and see episode 1 and follow him along again for the third time through this anime

Its so odd seeing water, sunshine and blue skies, and flowery fields in a post apocalyptic series though.Its like when walking outside after being in a dark room all day.

Best
Cczlvs3W0AMmlCa.jpg

Lain 5

Hm, i guess the online persona/versions of people are starting to somewhat clash or overlap more overtly. Its odd that it happened to Lain's sister though since she is shown to be the character most in touch with reality; from her physical relationship to the fact that shes the only character that looks people in the eye when shes talking. Added to the fact that I think this episode was more based in reality since Lain's personality did a complete 180 back to her usual morose self.

Very Tron/Matrix concepts of the "world and God" inside of the net. Also forget encroaching, Lain's room is just a giant computer now.

"Reality" is a very loose concept in Serial Experiments Lain.

I always wondered what a bedroom that's a giant computer would be like.

Sounds like you need to watch Lain.

Fafner-23
8p10n.gif

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Holy fuck this shit is grimdark. HAHAHAHA

I'm watching this series secretely. Well, kind of using it as time waster in some days, as at least for now it isn't very good (episode 7) though I started it because the promise it was real good in the second season.

pbayne

Lain 6

Chesire Cat. Iseewhatyoudidthere.

Episode reminded me a lot of Welcome to the NHK in that there rampant paranoia and conspiracy theories being thrown around. Added to the anonymity of the Knights and not knowing who or what they are they're a terrifying faceless threat.

I can't believe they provided somewhat a theory that tried to explain some of the physical phenomenon that happens.

Nice touch to the more "mature" look that Lain has that she still keeps the teddy bear backpack(missing that onsie). Also she started to strongly resemble the "other" Lain from episode 2.

The visual element of the shadow with kind of blood splotched suddenly re-appeared as well. And this time they seemed to consume more space of the screen.(still not sure what that is but its notable). Finally loved the little quick cuts of the pressure building up.

Sterok

Komugi R 9

I'm always annoyed when wordplay is used to create the entire conflict. Especially when the manager didn't realize she was creating so much confusion.

JulianImp

There's Kayo's mothers boyfriend who hasnt shown up at all.

The list of suspects is indeed limited, but having that guy be the culprit would make Erased's case end almost like a Scooby Doo episode.

Satoru's mom knew who the murderer was after thinking about it for a bit, so that leaves out most far-fetched answers such as the guy who left his family after he was accused of shoplifting or alternate versions of Satoru. Yuuki was the overly conspicuous red herring suspect, Kayo's mom repented last episode, her lover had too little screentime to randomly show up as the murderer sometime later, and that means there's nobody left among the people that have been introduced in the show so far but Satoru's teacher, who just happened to conveniently had three very suspicious bits of evidence pointing towards him (candy in car, happened to be taking the same route that girl who got killed in the future usually took, and the stuff in the bus disappeared right after Satoru told him about where they had been keeping Kayo hidden).

While you could say that's just too convenient, the low remaining episode count means we're either approaching the end-game or getting a "wanna know who did it? read the manga!" ending, and there isn't anybody else I can think of that could be the real killer if the clues pointing out towards the teacher end up being red herrings as well.

Then there's the whole "Kenya talking with teacher" scene, but the killer didn't know Kayo was being kept inside the bus until after Satoru told the teacher, which also happened to be right when the killer conveniently decided to move all his/her tools of the trade out of there. It was even him who suggested having Kayo hide away in that bus, and had he been an accomplice the supposed murderer who visited the bus wouldn't have freaked out like he/she did that night Kayo was there.

Puruzi

Banned
Haikyuu S2 22

Yamaguchi came through, yesssssss

that bit at the end where they were acknowledging each other as rivals was great

The list of suspects is indeed limited, but having that guy be the culprit would make Erased's case end almost like a Scooby Doo episode.

Satoru's mom knew who the murderer was after thinking about it for a bit, so that leaves out most far-fetched answers such as the guy who left his family after he was accused of shoplifting or alternate versions of Satoru. Yuuki was the overly conspicuous red herring suspect, Kayo's mom repented last episode, her lover had too little screentime to randomly show up as the murderer sometime later, and that means there's nobody left among the people that have been introduced in the show so far but Satoru's teacher, who just happened to conveniently had three very suspicious bits of evidence pointing towards him (candy in car, happened to be taking the same route that girl who got killed in the future usually took, and the stuff in the bus disappeared right after Satoru told him about where they had been keeping Kayo hidden).

While you could say that's just too convenient, the low remaining episode count means we're either approaching the end-game or getting a "wanna know who did it? read the manga!" ending, and there isn't anybody else I can think of that could be the real killer if the clues pointing out towards the teacher end up being red herrings as well.

Then there's the whole "Kenya talking with teacher" scene, but the killer didn't know Kayo was being kept inside the bus until after Satoru told the teacher, which also happened to be right when the killer conveniently decided to move all his/her tools of the trade out of there. It was even him who suggested having Kayo hide away in that bus, and had he been an accomplice the supposed murderer who visited the bus wouldn't have freaked out like he/she did that night Kayo was there.

Well yeah. I don't really care about the killer angle at all. If Erased is trying to make it an actual mystery or intriguing at all then it sucks at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom