• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

3Kaze

http://jin115.com/archives/52121959.html
So the episode 10 of God Eater worked very well for the viewers or fans on Nico Nico douga, it changed their appreciation of Lenka and they wished it was episode 1 (it seems they have been hating him until now?). It's the most high-rated episode in the series by far, with 92.8% thinking it was pretty good while the average for episode 1-9 was only 56%.

Ascheroth

So the episode 10 of God Eater worked very well for the viewers or fans on Nico Nico douga, it changed their appreciation of Lenka and they wished it was episode 1 (it seems they have been hating him until now?). It's the most high-rated episode in the series by far, with 92.8% thinking it was pretty good while the average for episode 1-9 was only 56%.

Interesting. Didn't know Lenka was hated, I thought he was one of the better shonen leads.
And I don't think this would have been a good choice for episode 1, even though I also enjoyed it a lot (except that one scene at the end, that was too try-hard, even for this show, lol.)

It wouldnt make sense for an episode 1, no one cares for a backstory of a character they dont know yet or even understand the struggles they go through in the present day.

Ascheroth

Dimension W - 09

Yo, that was a pretty awesome episode, focus mostly on the past again.
All the pieces are slowly falling into place and dots get connected.

Miras body is the one that should have been used for Miyabi. (Not necessarily THE one, but at least modelled after her.) ..Must be harsh for Kyouma.
I'm reeeeaally curious now what exactly caused the accident and what exactly happened. Was Kyouma responsible for it as Loser implies? Or was it a misunderstanding?

I'm pretty excited to see how all of this is going to unfold in the final stretch.

Grimgar - 09

Outside of that one unnecessary and stupid scene with Haruhiros teacher near the end, I liked this episode a lot. Show, why are you making it so difficult for me to say "I like it" without adding a ", but..." at the end?

Also no goblins were killed this episode. But on the other hand no goblins appeared at all.

Grimgar 9

Is the word 'training' different in Japanese, because training usually involves trying to teach the person something new or attemping to spar with them so they get better, not throwing them around like a rag doll and then sitting on them with your ass to the camera.

Grimgar Episode 9

So Mary is a good character. Strong, but vulnerable. Likable, despite her distant behavior.
Generally just a relaxing episode.

However, like Ascheroth said, ANNNIMMMMMMMEEEEEE

That's a pretty nice shot, but not the best one in this episode, best one is...
Here, take some Merry's leg.
DhZs785.jpg

XgkUad7.jpg
And this episode's storyboard done by the guy did Erased episode 7, thanks man!

Russ T

Banned
Building up what? Have you been missing all Yume's ass shots and bath scenes for the past few episodes?

Is this a serious question? I'm not sure what you're trying to say, but I'll just spell it out for you:

There are good things about Grimgar consistently ruined by things like this.

Is this a serious question? I'm not sure what you're trying to say, but I'll just spell it out for you:

There are good things about Grimgar consistently ruined by things like this.

His point seems to have been that if you're this far into Grimgar and still complaining about the ass shots and fan service then it's a bit silly as they have been here from the beginning.

Would the show be better without them? 100% Absofuckinglutely. But the show would also be better without Ranta, though admittedly in these past 2-3 episodes he hasn't been bad.

I can't recommend Grimgar to friends, and unless the rest of the year is absolutely horrible it won't show up in my top 10 for the AOTY voting, but I'm enjoying it ass shots aside.

Russ T

Banned
"ruined"

actually made better

If you like sexist pandering! I don't.

His point seems to have been that if you're this far into Grimgar and still complaining about the ass shots and fan service then it's a bit silly as they have been here from the beginning.

Would the show be better without them? 100% Absofuckinglutely. But the show would also be better without Ranta, though admittedly in these past 2-3 episodes he hasn't been bad.

I can't recommend Grimgar to friends, and unless the rest of the year is absolutely horrible it won't show up in my top 10 for the AOTY voting, but I'm enjoying it ass shots aside.

Yeah, and I've been calling out the shitty aspects of Grimgar since the beginning, and I won't stop until it's over! It could be a great show, but it chooses to lower itself to pandering to horny teenagers instead of using that time for good things. I continue watching because there are things I like. Otherwise I'd throw it in the same pile as Phantom World or whatever that show's called.

Rainbow Days Episode 7

Tsuyoponnu is the best one and best romance life, the whole scene with him in the shop with yukiko was sweet. I love his voice and personality and I could swap him with so many of his type of characters (like Tsukki) and replace her with my fav male characters (like Hinata) and itd be a wonderful scene too.

Song for the ed was wonderful.

zulux21

Yeah ill take you up on it after I finish Lain. It looks like a series id enjoy(sucks that the campaign is still NA exclusive because it is a lot more upfront and honest than the escaflowne scam)

Ill give you a few choices for your end. Haven't seen the dubs for some of these myself, so they might be bad but:

Free! season 1
JoJo season 1-dub is really campy and enjoyable
Kino's Journey
Ping Pong

Also, indeed more people should watch One Outs if only to realize the greatness of Tōa Tokuchi
I've been meaning to watch ping pong for a while but I suppose I should make it fair episode count wise and figure out what the glory of jojo is :p

I am assuming that this is the first season

does this or this need to be watched at all?

Yeah, and I've been calling out the shitty aspects of Grimgar since the beginning, and I won't stop until it's over! It could be a great show, but it chooses to lower itself to pandering to horny teenagers instead of using that time for good things. I continue watching because there are things I like. Otherwise I'd throw it in the same pile as Phantom World or whatever that show's called.

Go for it, it just seems a bit pointless this far into the show.

Russ T

Banned
I'm invested in society being a better place. Is that "random"?

It's pretty offensive to imply that one instance of sexism should slide by just because it's "inconsequential" (it's not) on its own.

Line_HTX

I do not like Aiz's static personality. Fuck this Dungeon spinoff, where the fuck is the sequel? I'll call it what it is, that shit was a cliffhanger in the sense where big monster defeated, on to the next day.

It's pretty offensive to imply that one instance of sexism should slide by just because it's "inconsequential" (it's not) on its own.

It's not.

Eroticism or even sexualization aren't sexism. Though are you are free to dislike whatever you want if you think it's hurt the overall quality of the series - even if it goes more into the comical direction.

Club Rainbow Episode 9

No bring back Eguchi and Uchiyama. Still this looked like a nice place to go to in JPN, can draw your own chocolate stuff and the architecture makes it look not like JPN? Id take a tin too but if it had Eguchi on it.

Cc4koWdXIAEKcSe.jpg
Cc4lK3kWEAAQdpz.jpg

Also its always strange that there is never anyone who is onlooking and such, dont these people know who Matsuoka and the other va's are?

Just like with the arguments in One Punch Man, my argument here is that it's pointless and it just gets overbearing if done every single time. It's sexist, it's horrible, it's holding back the industry. All of the above basically. But we are the secondary audience. We hold little to no say. Unlike say the conversation of female heroes in comics where fans can gather power in Twitter and making movements online/irl, starting the conversation where creators might start to work to improve with anime and manga it's screaming at a wall because the audience in Japan enjoys it, loves it, and buys it.

So we're here kicking and screaming, while the audience the anime and manga cares about loves it.

The only real power we have in these conversations is with games from Japan from major publishers of kid friendly titles that tend to go worldwide like Nintendo. In the future I could definitely see that the aspect of continuous censorship of unneeded fan service could result in the developers just not including it.

Russ T

Banned
A sexist anime wouldn't waste its time with Mary and her characterization.

Here's the first thing I had to learn about sexism before I started to really empathize with women who deal with this line of thinking every day: it's okay to like something while also acknowledging that aspects of it are problematic. Grimgar having sexist aspects to it does not mean everyone working on it and everything about it is sexist. The characterization of the girls is actually pretty well done. That's part of why the pandering stands out so much. It undermines the good they do. Every ass-shot for Yume detracts from her otherwise (mostly) solid characterization. It's bad. It's fucking bad.

It's not.

Eroticism or even sexualization aren't sexism. Though are you are free to dislike whatever you want if you think it's hurt the overall quality of the series - even if it goes more into the comical direction.

This isn't eroticism or sexualization. It's objectification.

Just like with the arguments in One Punch Man, my argument here is that it's pointless and it just gets overbearing if done every single time. It's sexist, it's horrible, it's holding back the industry. All of the above basically. But we are the secondary audience. We hold little to no say. Unlike say the conversation of female heroes in comics where fans can gather power in Twitter and making movements online/irl, starting the conversation where creators might start to work to improve with anime and manga it's screaming at a wall because the audience in Japan enjoys it, loves it, and buys it.

So we're here kicking and screaming, while the audience the anime and manga cares about loves it.

The only real power we have in these conversations is with games from Japan from major publishers of kid friendly titles that tend to go worldwide like Nintendo. In the future I could definitely see that the aspect of continuous censorship of unneeded fan service could result in the developers just not including it.

I'm sorry, but, "we can't change anything about anime" is a terrible reason to not talk about things. We talk because they're important. Because we need to acknowledge that it's a problem. Because not acknowledging it's a problem leads to sexism against REAL PEOPLE. Subtle, understated sexism, often enough. The sort that you don't even realize you're doing. It's important to talk, because it helps us to grow as people.

pbayne

I've been meaning to watch ping pong for a while but I suppose I should make it fair episode count wise and figure out what the glory of jojo is :p

I am assuming that this is the first season

does this or this need to be watched at all?

The OVAs are good in their own right but no they are part of part 3.(I know its a bit confusing)

Yeah the 2012 version is part 1.

Ill probably get time start up Skip Beat soon enough after Lain.

Qurupeke

Eureka 7 12-21

After the praise for 11 (and 12,13), unfortunately, the show managed to do a Cutback Drop Turn and nosedived, quality wise. There are so many problems with it right now. The plot moves with a turtle's pace, and we barely had any significant progress. Anemone, Dewie and Dominic had a few scarce appearances, the show is almost at the end of its first half and they've barely done anything. The show lacks an antagonist that actually is threatening. The Coralian arc was great because there was a threat both to Nirvash and Gekkostate and it delivered some great strategic battles. Now it's just Gekkostate vs random military mecha. Moreover, after 20 episodes, Renton just realized that he's been killing people. I mean, wow, not even Shinji Ikari was THAT dumb. He's been creating purple explosions since episode 1 and he's been cutting mecha to half, did he really think they were pilotless? I could get if this was a plot point in episode 5 but at this point it's just laughable. Furthermore, now, it's a Renton Runaway arc., I can already guess this will be bad, but I hope his eventual return will mean he has matured...

Then we have Holland and Eureka, who are just insufferable now. Eureka has been sick and moody for 10 episodes now, doing absolutely nothing. And she even managed to turn to that purple thing and become even more sick and useless. Then, Holland has taken the meaning of abuse to a whole new level. I regret the fact I didn't create an album of every punch and kick he gave to Renton so far for absolutely no reason. It was understandable at first, but he continues to do nothing but blame Renton for everything, even when it's not his fault. Both of these would be a bit better if we actually had some answers about Holland's past with Eureka and Renton's sister or Eureka's origins, but the show keeps hinting all of these and at I'm certainly fed up with it. That's not teasing but just stalling.

I really want this to advance and be as exciting as the Coralian arc. again. The show is better than I expected and has some nice ideas, but it's an illogical borefest right now. Even the more "casual" episodes have been bad.

I'm sorry, but, "we can't change anything about anime" is a terrible reason to not talk about things. We talk because they're important. Because we need to acknowledge that it's a problem. Because not acknowledging it's a problem leads to sexism against REAL PEOPLE. Subtle, understated sexism, often enough. The sort that you don't even realize you're doing. It's important to talk, because it helps us to grow as people.

Having the conversation is fine, it needs to be had. I'm saying that bringing it up over and over and over and over again gets tiresome when we don't have any power to improve it.

But I'm just a negative/defeatist person in reality. I don't vote in Texas because I'd vote democrat and we're still not at a point where Democrats in Texas have a say.

Grimgar's problem isn't sexism per se, but it's that it stoops at times to indulge in the juvenile fantasies of horny teenagers and stale otaku tropes that appeal to people whose minds have been so dulled by repetition that they'll only accept more of the same. It this were a generic LN adaptation such as Undefeated Bahamut Chronicles or whatever, it wouldn't particularly bother me, because then it'd be trash from top to bottom. But there's a really good show buried within Grimgar, one that creates a contemplative tone and gentle atmosphere with subdued characterization not commonly seen in anime. The thing with atmosphere is that it has to be handled very delicately to be sustained (see also Your Lie in April for a failure to do this), and the otaku elements in Grimgar, as well as things such as the music, often break that atmosphere and prevent full immersion in the world it's trying to create. Thus the show ends up being a failure at what it wants to be, which is sad when I think what it wants to be in that regard is admirable and to be encouraged.

Having the conversation is fine, it needs to be had. I'm saying that bringing it up over and over and over and over again gets tiresome when we don't have any power to improve it.

But I'm just a negative/defeatist person in reality. I don't vote in Texas because I'd vote democrat and we're still not at a point where Democrats in Texas have a say.

I don't think the only point of artistic criticism is to "change the industry". When I criticize the work of a storyboarder or writer, I don't expect them to see my criticism and change their future works as a result. But it's still useful to analyze what is good and what isn't in an artwork.

jonjonaug

Eureka 7 11

Is this the point that the anime becomes great? Because oh my god, this episode was amazing. I knew that something was missing and it was a competent rival mecha, and we just got an awesome one. And the pilot is even better. :)

Eureka 7 is always great, although some people don't really appreciate the early bits until they're on a rewatch. There's a lot in the setup that has big payoffs later, so it's the sort of show that gets better the more times you watch it.

I really want this to advance and be as exciting as the Coralian arc. again. The show is better than I expected and has some nice ideas, but it's an illogical borefest right now. Even the more "casual" episodes have been bad.

Cave arc and the leadup to it are the hardest part of the show to get through on an early watch, mostly because you're probably used to shows where stuff like that doesn't really pay off.

Without spoiling anything: it pays off.

Sayah

Does Rurouni Kenshin ever get a main plot? Every episode feels like a bunch of bad goons show up and then get beaten to a pulp by the protagonist.

Russ T

Banned

Well I made a one-off joke about it responding to someone else who brought it up. It's not like I intended to get into a big argument about it. Puruzi responded to me, I responded back. Pdot claims sexism isn't sexist, I responded back...

I don't even remember the last time I tried to talk about sexism in anime, but it was probably a few weeks ago and I got the same response. "DON'T TALK ABOUT IT WE DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT IT'S SO ANNOYING WHEN PEOPLE BRING IT UP ALL THE TIME".

I haven't seen anyone talk about sexism for more than like ten post in a row in these anime threads literally since I started posting in them. And even that rarely happens.

Sorry??? I guess??????????????

Grimgar's problem isn't sexism per se, but it's that it stoops at times to indulge in the juvenile fantasies of horny teenagers and stale otaku tropes that appeal to people whose minds have been so dulled by repetition that they'll only accept more of the same. It this were a generic LN adaptation such as Undefeated Bahamut Chronicles or whatever, it wouldn't particularly bother me, because then it'd be trash from top to bottom. But there's a really good show buried within Grimgar, one that creates a contemplative tone and gentle atmosphere with subdued characterization not commonly seen in anime. The thing with atmosphere is that it has to be handled very delicately to be sustained (see also Your Lie in April for a failure to do this), and the otaku elements in Grimgar, as well as things such as the music, often break that atmosphere and prevent full immersion in the world it's trying to create. Thus the show ends up being a failure at what it wants to be, which is sad when I think what it wants to be in that regard is admirable and to be encouraged.

Yeah this is pretty much it. There's something really good in there, but it's got these other aspects that really bring it down. The insert songs are a big one. I didn't mind it the first time, but now every episode has one, and it's... so out of place. Two (?) episodes ago, there was a conversation between Mary and Haruhiro that was really nice and showed off what this show is best at. There wasn't any music. It was snowing. It was quiet. And they just talked. It was so nice. I wish the show could be what it wants to be instead of what it seems like they feel it has to be.

Cornbread78

Grimgar ep.9
Well, Hal is definitely hot for Mary after that silent admission to his sensei beating the crap outta him. As I thought, the
mine Mary's friends got killed in
is the next stop. Looks like this arc will lead us right to ep.12. My guess is they get stuck in a battle with the
spotted beast
in the episode to end the season. Not a bad episode overall though, but definitely setup for the final arc and how the mighty MC will deal the final blow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom