• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

The list of suspects is indeed limited, but having that guy be the culprit would make Erased's case end almost like a Scooby Doo episode.

Satoru's mom knew who the murderer was after thinking about it for a bit, so that leaves out most far-fetched answers such as the guy who left his family after he was accused of shoplifting or alternate versions of Satoru. Yuuki was the overly conspicuous red herring suspect, Kayo's mom repented last episode, her lover had too little screentime to randomly show up as the murderer sometime later, and that means there's nobody left among the people that have been introduced in the show so far but Satoru's teacher, who just happened to conveniently had three very suspicious bits of evidence pointing towards him (candy in car, happened to be taking the same route that girl who got killed in the future usually took, and the stuff in the bus disappeared right after Satoru told him about where they had been keeping Kayo hidden).

While you could say that's just too convenient, the low remaining episode count means we're either approaching the end-game or getting a "wanna know who did it? read the manga!" ending, and there isn't anybody else I can think of that could be the real killer if the clues pointing out towards the teacher end up being red herrings as well.

Then there's the whole "Kenya talking with teacher" scene, but the killer didn't know Kayo was being kept inside the bus until after Satoru told the teacher, which also happened to be right when the killer conveniently decided to move all his/her tools of the trade out of there. It was even him who suggested having Kayo hide away in that bus, and had he been an accomplice the supposed murderer who visited the bus wouldn't have freaked out like he/she did that night Kayo was there.

That fucking scene still annoys me every time I think about it. The ONLY purpose of this scene and its deliberate placement was to create a stupid artificial cliffhanger that had no purpose at all besides being a misleading stupid artificial cliffhanger. Ugh.

There are basically two points that sour the show for me. One is its horribly use of artificial misleading cliffhangers that go nowhere and the other is that Satoru being chased by the police makes barely any sense with how the anime presented it.

javac

Info on Anime Limited's Escaflowne Ultimate Edition Blu-ray
PUb3SIj.jpg

pbayne

High Q 22

A morbid side of me wanted to see Yamaguchi miss again. But nice to see him pull through.

Weird pacing for this season because, well I assume they'll win this game, itll leaves the series ending right before the final.

Komugi 9

lol is Komugi not worried that her fan base is mostly creepy old guys. lol that anime she got a part, wtf was that? Why is the CG in this so good? And why do they only use it so sparingly?

Excited for Tsukasa episode next week.

Cornbread78

That fucking scene still annoys me every time I think about it. The ONLY purpose of this scene and its deliberate placement was to create a stupid artificial cliffhanger that had no purpose at all besides being a misleading stupid artificial cliffhanger. Ugh.

There are basically two points that sour the show for me. One is its horribly use of artificial misleading cliffhangers that go nowhere and the other is that Satoru being chased by the police makes barely any sense with how the anime presented it.

They said in the next episode that they were just talking about the party for Kayo and Satoru....

World Trigger Episode 69

One of the best fights in World Trigger Rank Wars the five character battle royal played out pretty nicely and one of the moments that was better than the manga, since usually, you can never make events like this out clearly in the manga. Also the camera angle helped the anime too.

They said in the next episode that they were just talking about the party for Kayo and Satoru....

Yeah, that's the point. The music and framing of the end of episode 3 paints the converation as something ominous, raising the question as to whether the teacher and Kenya are up to something nefarious together. It's a cliffhanger hook designed to worry the audience enough that they'll tune in next week. But then it ends up being nothing of consequence, nothing to warrant the presentation it got. That's an artificial cliffhanger, manufacturing hooks with no intent to follow through on them.

Well yeah. I don't really care about the killer angle at all. If Erased is trying to make it an actual mystery or intriguing at all then it sucks at it.

But that's the thing... at some point he needs to stop the killer, to save his mother. And to stop him, he needs to guess who is it.
But as we know, somehow the series has ignored that angle, so I don't know if it's going to be rushed in the last two episodes, or maybe I'm missing something and the series is going to be resolved in a totally different way.

Ascheroth

Well yeah, I'm mainly annoyed because they framed the scene in a super ominous way, set in the evening/night, had shadows hiding half of Kenyas face and uses an ominous soundtrack and tacked it on exactly at the end of the episode, even though there was a perfect stopping point before it. And then it turned out it meant jackshit and was just deliberately misleading because all it was was them talking about Kayos birthday.
It didn't bother me that much at first, but it got retroactively more annoying because the showed used the same structure a couple more times and it got harder and harder for me to take it seriously, because I couldn't 'trust' the show anymore.
"Someone is creeping towards the bus Kayo is hiding in during the night? Lol yeah, it's probably just a random guy that got lost."

Edit: And don't get me wrong. I know this sounds really harsh, but I still like Erased as a whole a lot. It's just kind of frustrating because it has so many small parts that drag the whole thing down but would have been so easy to fix.

ibyea

Banned
Rakugo: 9
This episode is amazing. Show is definite anime of the season for me.
The break up, Sukeroku's expulsion, and Sukeroku having one last talk with Kikuhiko were all intense. It's a mark of good fiction that I legit felt angry towards Yakumo for being a short sighted fool, and the whole thing was just devastating.

ibyea

Banned
Yeah, that's the point. The music and framing of the end of episode 3 paints the converation as something ominous, raising the question as to whether the teacher and Kenya are up to something nefarious together. It's a cliffhanger hook designed to worry the audience enough that they'll tune in next week. But then it ends up being nothing of consequence, nothing to warrant the presentation it got. That's an artificial cliffhanger, manufacturing hooks with no intent to follow through on them.

Yeah that cliffhanger was just dumb.

Qurupeke

Eureka 7 4-10

So far, so good, even though it's still quite slow. It's mostly episodes about the characters, along with some backstory. Howecer, I enjoy the characters a lot. This was my main problem with shows like Gurren Lagann, that I didn't really care about the side characters. The ones in Eureka 7 are actually a lot more interesting, and then there are the main characters that are great. Except Renton, of course, but it wouldn't be a show with mecha without an annoying protagonist. Oh, and the kids... Especially the smallest one. These may be even worse than Renton. Anyway, some really good character moments, like Talho bullying Renton or the scenes with Moondoggie and Renton. And of course a lot of the scenes with Eureka. I'm still a bit unsure if I like her though. I was expecting her not to be human or something similar, which still may be the case, but her backstory is actually connected to the rest of the Gekkostate. Which by the way, still hasn't exactly revealed the reason why Gekkostate opposes the military, other than the fact they're evil, which is too simple to be the sole reason...I ultimately enjoy the whole thing with the boards too. It still seems a bit stupid, but the intense music that usually plays during air battles makes them really cool.

Looking forward to what is coming. The antagonist seems really creepy and he added a crazy girl to his team, that can't be good.

ibyea

Banned
Eureka 7 4-10

So far, so good, even though it's still quite slow. It's mostly episodes about the characters, along with some backstory. Howecer, I enjoy the characters a lot. This was my main problem with shows like Gurren Lagann, that I didn't really care about the side characters. The ones in Eureka 7 are actually a lot more interesting, and then there are the main characters that are great. Except Renton, of course, but it wouldn't be a show with mecha without an annoying protagonist. Oh, and the kids... Especially the smallest one. These may be even worse than Renton. Anyway, some really good character moments, like Talho bullying Renton or the scenes with Moondoggie and Renton. And of course a lot of the scenes with Eureka. I'm still a bit unsure if I like her though. I was expecting her not to be human or something similar, which still may be the case, but her backstory is actually connected to the rest of the Gekkostate. Which by the way, still hasn't exactly revealed the reason why Gekkostate opposes the military, other than the fact they're evil, which is too simple to be the sole reason...I ultimately enjoy the whole thing with the boards too. It still seems a bit stupid, but the intense music that usually plays during air battles makes them really cool.

Looking forward to what is coming. The antagonist seems really creepy and he added a crazy girl to his team, that can't be good.

Haha. I love this show but man do I hate those freaking kids.

Line_HTX

GATE 21

Oh hey, the rescued prisoner is back.

Scumbag so-called "journalist."

Knights are in a no-win situation here.

Throwing a flashbang!

I hope Rory threatens Zolzal and goes Jack Bauer on that shit rabbit.

Go! Go! Go!

Those dudes have real balls if they want to lose the election over what's going on with the media presence and dignitaries from other countries.

There's a scene in Eureka Seven, where the smallest child sings for Eureka.

That scene might be the most painful thing my ears have ever endured.

But those kids aren't too bad later on. Early they're really annoying.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Decided to check out Galko-chan due to Wonzo's recommendation of it and holy shit is it hilarious. Reminds me of Joshikousei and Gokujo. XD

kewlmyc

Gate's gotten to the point where everything that isn't involving Itami's gang bores me, which is the complete opposite of the first half of the season. How odd.

Cornbread78

Well yeah, I'm mainly annoyed because they framed the scene in a super ominous way, set in the evening/night, had shadows hiding half of Kenyas face and uses an ominous soundtrack and tacked it on exactly at the end of the episode, even though there was a perfect stopping point before it. And then it turned out it meant jackshit and was just deliberately misleading because all it was was them talking about Kayos birthday.
It didn't bother me that much at first, but it got retroactively more annoying because the showed used the same structure a couple more times and it got harder and harder for me to take it seriously, because I couldn't 'trust' the show anymore.
"Someone is creeping towards the bus Kayo is hiding in during the night? Lol yeah, it's probably just a random guy that got lost."

Edit: And don't get me wrong. I know this sounds really harsh, but I still like Erased as a whole a lot. It's just kind of frustrating because it has so many small parts that drag the whole thing down but would have been so easy to fix.

It hasn't bothered me because the show has been consistent with the way they transition between each episode. It may come off as tacky and unnecessary to some by having it done as a cliffhanger, but that is obviously the artistic direction they chose to use. They are also attempting to use these scenes to cast doubt on the situation and make the viewer think. I'd rather them use these "interactive" transitions rather than starting from scratch each week, or spending time at the beginning and/or ending of each episode to review last week or preview next week's episode.

GOD EATER 10

Loved the episode. This flashback was an original story and I thought it was great. We got to see Lindow's connection to Lenka, as well as where the compass came from. The jacket he wears all the time too. Although kind of cheesy, I have to admit some parts of the episode actually made me feel bad for everyone living in this world. Also big kudos to the whole episode's production values, good lord, Ufotable went all out as always. The direction too was great along with the choice of soundtrack to go with the scenes, but that had been the case since the start really. Shame it took all these months to come out though. If only they had waited until this upcoming season and showed the entire thing from start to finish.

Oh and I'm sure people probably didn't like it as much as I did. I love the franchise so I'm pretty biased towards it. I also tend to enjoy the stuff that people around here usually don't. So take my thoughts and opinions with a grain of salt. Or watch the show and love it as much as I do, and be awesome:

oreki_kun_smile__by_shima2_chan-d52kps1.jpg

Jackpot

Banned
Thankfully the real world lacks biased journalists who chase/write stories purely to reflect their or their publishers biases rather than the truth.

No one's claiming there aren't shitty journalists, but this was a way OTT stereotype. Like comically bad. The western equivalent would be having a guy called Scoop Malloy wearing a Trilby with a ticket stuck in its band. And it fits into a much larger, more disturbing narrative the show has about how EVERYONE is out to get Japan's glorious brave soldiers.

This is the point where the show has gone from proud chest-beating of the army to bitter recriminations about everyone who might stand in its way, and I've come to the realisation that i don't want to watch yet another pile of jingoist BS that hankers for the days of the Imperial Empire.

Line_HTX

There's a scene in Eureka Seven, where the smallest child sings for Eureka.

That scene might be the most painful thing my ears have ever endured.

But those kids aren't too bad later on. Early they're really annoying.

Renton and Eureka calling out for each other is way better than

"INUYASHA!"
"KAGOME!"

:lol

Haikyuu!! S2 22

At the start I couldn't help but keep shouting in my own head "Yamaguchi FIGHT!". Poor guy deserved to finally show some presence, after what seemed like a whole season of him not getting anywhere. I also love how they added him in the little animation that always pops up before the break, serving against a bottle. Yamaguchi had never been in one until today (and he
hits it too aha
). What an intense match that was. Cannot wait for next week!!

Cardfight!! Vanguard G: GIRS Crisis Episode 14 (engdub)
Cc0HN0uW0AACk3N.jpg
Cc0IVJUW0AEayqQ.jpg

Continuing to bring back long time cfvanguard characters is continuing to make GIRS Crisis one of the best vanguard arcs. Morikawa and his love for grade 3s, Emi, Izaki, and continuing time with Kamui made this fun. Especially Kamui's time and Emi, and Kamui and Chrono.

Chrono could be hilarious with Morikawa since he is just believing everything he says.

Majin Bone 37

The way this episode and the last handled the Rare Metal power up is really admirable. It made it feel meaningfully earned and satisfying on a character level, instead of just a random power up thrown in because we've got the escalate things as we start approaching the final stretch of the show. I like the contemplative moments of introspection this show isn't afraid to have.

Joe Molotov

I got caught up on Konosuba. It's okay, but that last episode was weird. I had to back and make sure I hadn't missed an episode somehow.

Hunter X Hunter (1999) 27

This episode had some neat storyboarding, but the fight between Kurapika and Hisoka felt too slow and too dragged down by chatter from the bystanders to have the full impact it was going for. That said...

This really freaked me out.

Cornbread78

Fairy Tail ep.4-6
Erza is one bad ass wizard chick with a hardcore ruthless attitude, yet still has a touch of righteousness and justice. More importantly, that weapon magic is awesome and powerful! Hopefully, Lucy's celestial magic becomes more useful, so she can really mix in well with this dream team of wizards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom