• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterok

Aikatsu 174

Time for the beginning of the end. Starlight Queen hype. Juri got way too little attention this season, especially since she's a shoe-in for the top 4. Should be top 2. Well, she did good with what she got at least. Sweet ChicaxChica solo. Meanwhile, Risa hits high despite being an idol for just 6 months. Haven't heard Move on now for awhile. About time she finally got a solo. Pretty good, but not as good as Spanish Lady. I'm rooting for Sumire, but Juri is good too. Too bad Akari is basically set to take it all. Next up, the scrub brigade.

Fantastic Children 13

This got a little too heavy on the jargon for me. I could feel myself beginning to lose interest. All this Greecia stuff is so remote it's difficult for me to care.

Mawarup

Neo Member
Hey folks friend redirected me towards this thread for some help I guess. Have not watched a lot of stuff that has been coming out for the past 5 years or so and was wondering what are some underdogs that most people don't talk about that are well worth watching.

Hey folks friend redirected me towards this thread for some help I guess. Have not watched a lot of stuff that has been coming out for the past 5 years or so and was wondering what are some underdogs that most people don't talk about that are well worth watching.
Clearest 'underdog' is Yamato 2199 from recent years. Loved in gaf, largely ignored everywhere else on the Internet from what I've seen.

The Eccentric Family.

Flowers of Evil.

An anime like no other out there. Gorgeous backgrounds, amazing atmosphere, and just a really rough look at the living hell that is adolescent life, as well as so much more.

Majin Bone - 40

Damn it Gregory and Victor. :(

Seeing Higashio's kindness towards them end up betraying him and endangering everyone else was super depressing. It's really sad to see those two still side with Revolt even after all that's happened.

Part of me still wants to believe they'll end up defecting but after an actual murder attempt by them this time, that doesn't seem likely.

rrvv

Kyousogiga
Kill Me Baby

Cornbread78

Fairy Tail ep.7-8
Nice ending to this ark with Erza, Natsu, Gray and Lucy teaming up to take on the dark guild and save the guild leaders. The battles are pretty well scripted and really fun. I love the humor the show uses as well. Good stuff.

Exalted

I loved Danmachi, and while i would really prefer S2 instead of a spinoff, this could be interesting. Too bad Aiz doesn't really have much personality.

Koyomimonogatari 09

senjougahara will never make you donuts

After someone told me that Koyomimono isn't just a throw away thing I looked it up and -

tumblr_inline_o2tiragFKl1speybs_250.jpg

The Kaganui episode is the highlight of Koyomimonogatari.

Jarmel

Banned
I wonder any AnimeGAF want Danmachi s2? well, it's not happening(yet).
But, Danmachi spin-off Sword Oratoria TV anime announced.
https://twitter.com/animethod_0218/status/706369410420731904

About Sword Oratoria:
http://ga.sbcr.jp/sp/AIS/
http://danmachi.wikia.com/wiki/Sword_Oratoria

So let me get this straight, they're making a season about the most boring girl in the show that seems to just largely cover the same events except from a different viewpoint?

Well at least I get more of the chocolate waifus.

Jarmel

Banned
Fafner-Dead Aggressor: End
wFine9A.jpg
s5C0R4Q.jpg

A bunch of kids stuck on an island removed from the rest of the world, want to leave and become pop idols? Hmm, this reminds me of something. I remember now!
I'm actually having difficulty articulating my feelings on Fafner. It doesn't excel in any field and it doesn't flatline, for the most part, either. This leaves me with an overwhelming ambivalent feeling to the work. It feels like I've seen this concept executed multiple times in other shows with varying degrees of success. The early parts of the show scream Evangelion and the later parts are like a grimdark version of Eureka Seven that focused on the Coralian nonsense. The story doesn't feel unique nor is the execution itself noteworthy enough to compensate for those shortcomings.
So the story is about an island that essentially survived the end of the world caused by a bunch of shapeshifting aliens called Angels Festum. The Festum initially serve as MOTW flavor until a good chunk of the way into the show. It's really only in the second half that the Festum actually become interesting because they start to use human tactics such as attrition to break down the pilots or strategies to specifically counter the mechs. The first half of the show focuses on the conflict between the Neo-UN and the island. The show depicts the Neo-UN as being a bunch of incompetent idiots to the point that the organization is utterly laughable. There are a few things that stick out: a sub carrying the leader of the Neo-UN not having any real counter to the Festum (despite the show later establishing they sorta do) and so have to rely on the island for help despite them threatening the island less than a day before, one of the commanders throwing a pissy fit because his troops got wrecked by the Festum and the people on the island had to bail him out and so he decides to nuke the island because his ego got hurt, and during the final battle nobody knowing what an IFF signal is and so there was the possibility that the North Pole could have turned into a free for all with people firing on friendlies. Not to mention the depiction of most of the people inside the Neo-UN just portrays it almost as a league for supervillains. Honestly the whole conflict between the island and the Neo-UN didn't make a fucking lick of sense to begin with. The island could have very easily just shared their technological prowess with the Neo-UN and that would have been that. It also doesn't make sense that the island didn't have an automated anti-human defense system in place. This island was supposed to be one of the last, if not the last, safe places on Earth and they didn't have a system to counter a human military? Anyway the show shifts gears around episode 14/15 and becomes notably better as a result. Around this time Kazuki Yamanobe gets replaced with Tow Ubukata. This is probably the only time in my life you will hear me say this but Ubukata was an improvement over his predecessor. The man who came up with "Mr. Welldone the Pussyhand" was an improvement over somebody.
At this point, the characters become noticeably more engrossing for a number of reason. Soshi in particular is a significantly more intriguing character in the backhalf. In the first half he's about as fun as watching paint dry, on top of being a sanctimonious prick. The second half gives him a lot more material such as suffering from a form of PTSD due to the pain feedback system, his interactions with Tsubaki, and the show starting to point out how awkward he is. Note that he's pretty much the second most important character in the show and it takes roughly 17 episodes before he becomes interesting. There's a number of side characters and it's only in the second half that they become something resembling humans. Maya's mother, the doctor, having a crush on the commander and flirting with him was kinda cute and reminded me of Akiyuki's parents in Xam'd. You can tell Ubukata was trying to dig himself out of a deep-ass hole. There's a lot more relationships in the second half and so there's more meat to the character interactions. That said, Ubukata stumbled a few times too such as Maya's dad coming back and being the most transparent human being alive in his intentions. This would be like Ted Cruz trying to sell you a car. The show also slides a bit too much into the grimdark side, to the point where it can be funny instead of the intended effect. The ending for episode 23 stands out as a perfect example of that. Tomino would have been proud.
3MfLA9J.jpg

One of the very few cool stylistic shots.
Now on the visual side, this has to be one of the most bland shows I've ever watched. There is literally only one notable animation sequence in all 26 episodes. One. Not three or even two. One. It's such a poorly animated show, especially for an action-oriented one. Even outside the action sequences, there are cases where people will be talking and you won't see their mouths, presumably because you would have to animate that two. There was a conversation between Soshi and Tsubaki that stood out to me because all you could see was the top of their hands and the show would use the same shot and just have part of their heads shown, to symbolize who was talking. It was like the cheapest splitscreen I could possibly imagine.
https://sakuga.yshi.org/data/1a3f9e1e76109f677318068f0bb7be58.webm
This is literally the only noteworthy animation in 26 episodes.
Some examples are somebody will be landing in a mech and trees will cover the person landing so that the animators won't have to animate that. Another one would be a Fafner stabbing a Festum and the anime will only show the impact shot so that the stabbing motion doesn't have to be animated. This will again be one of the few times in my life I will ever say this but I can't wait till I get to the Orange CGI. At least I can see something move. On top of that you have the mech designs which are some of the worst I've seen in my life.
Some ugly designs, even with the 'upgrades'. Speaking of design, the characters are no exception thanks to the 'quality' work of Hirai. I wonder if his designs are popular because they're so easy to animate. You get one face down, you got them all down. It made the early episodes super confusing because I had no clue who was who. There were multiple people with the exact same face and the only distinguishing quality was the hair, except many of the characters had similar color hair. Oops. It got easier once people started dying.
PuLWALs.jpg
qb1N9en.jpg

Well at least the island could be pretty at times.
The soundtrack fares better as there are a number of tracks, especially in the backhalf that I enjoyed. Tsuneyoshi Saito's score reminds me of Toshihiko Sahashi's sound, particularly with the trumpets. Choosing to Live, Reason for Fighting, Mark Zein and Operation Azure are my favorites. I wasn't overly fond of the OP until I heard the extended version at the end of episode 26.
KvFtYYs.jpg

There is a scene where a molten baby Godzilla eats itself.
Going back to the writing, If somebody asked me what the theme of this show is, I would just stare at them blankly. Maybe cooperation is good? The philosophical ramblings of the Mir/Festum elements had me checking out. The Festum are a hivemind that don't understand death, pain, or any number of human emotions because they're like soil. I've seen this concept done so many times but here it's mixed in with bad dialogue from a philosophy undergrad major who wanted to write scifi. The ending bits of dialogue in the earlier episodes where a character would spout out some 2deep4u shit, had me rolling my eyes too. Let me give you a taste of that:
fRSEu0M.png
KD22UCu.png

Ed0g4BR.png
qLtYiG4.png

Before somebody accuses me of cherrypicking, I picked this episode out completely at random.
So in general, the direction and storyboarding was largely flat outside of a few shots and there are a number of scenes that use a fisheye lens for apparently no reason. The art direction was okay as the background nature shots were decent to look at, even if nothing was moving. The writing does improve around the end of the first cour but the Festum philosophy aspects aren't rivetting and they make up a good chunk of the second half. The show works best when it focuses on the core cast and the suffering that being a pilot causes. Seeing Kenji break down because Sakura was a vegetable was infinitely more engaging than whether the soil you step on can feel sorrow. All in all I can't say this was a productive use of my time as I know there are better shows out there. The show does get better in the second half, but not good enough to the point I can recommend this.

Oh and good lord is there a lot of fujobait. DTL must have gobbled this up.

Instro

I gotta say the soundtrack for Fafner is actually really good.

Tsuneyoshi is a top tier anime composer. Fafner, Dennou Coil, etc. Some really great stuff. He's back to anime again after a haitus following Dennou Coil, so hopefully he sticks around this time. Would love to see him on some legit good stuff rather than poop like PriPara and Fafner though.

zulux21

So... I want to push skip beat on people and thus I am proposing watch bets MWA HA HA HA :p

I will watch any 26 episode or less series if the other person watches Skip Beat. (my aim would be to watch the proposed series over the next 4 days)

I'd prefer if they had an english dub so I could multitask easier while doing so (as I have to design a pathfinder campaign and a character, and build an rpg maker map and some other things) but it isn't a must.

Can I get any takers :p?

my semi completed MAL it should be mostly up to date for older shows, though shows that have aired in the last 2 years or so might actually be complete and I forgot to add them >.<;

anyways I am heading to bed soon so I will check when I wake up if there were any takers. (though I might respond if there is anyone quick lol)

Yes this is partially because of the localization campaign for skip beat, but beyond that I plan to challenge people to One Outs and Dennou Coil at a later time as well as I am tired of no one knowing these great shows :/

TUSR

Banned
Koyomimonogatari 9

So, this is the closest will get to Senjougahara interacting with Shinobu, even if this was done indirectly, via donuts. Even the the series itself makes fun of it.

HOLD UP

Senjougahara almost interacting with Shinobu???

Line_HTX

Kizumonogatari Tekketsu

Okay, it's been a week since I saw it and I apologize for having a one word post reaction. I kind of acted poorly since I didn't pay any attention beforehand what this was going to be like, even down to a minute detail like runtime, since I more or less expected at least 90 minutes or so.

If anything, I think this movie could finally make me sit down and properly watch all of it without skimming around and only knowing about infamous scenes. I think I held off on the first series because at the time the other stuff like Nise and Second Season haven't aired yet, plus there were some extra episodes of Bake that were still coming out.

As for the movie, this serves as an excellent way of presenting how it all started. This was the perfect "In the beginning..." for where Monogatari is going to go. I knew it felt that way from the obvious freakouts that Araragi was having. Because he acted completely the opposite of what I know of him, I knew this was heading towards how he became a minion.

Some weird CG and real pictures aside, this movie was excellent. I would definitely go pay tickets to see it multiple times. Good for Alamo Drafthouse to have this, and I hope they have the next movies there too.

pbayne

So... I want to push skip beat on people and thus I am proposing watch bets MWA HA HA HA :p

I will watch any 26 episode or less series if the other person watches Skip Beat. (my aim would be to watch the proposed series over the next 4 days)

I'd prefer if they had an english dub so I could multitask easier while doing so (as I have to design a pathfinder campaign and a character, and build an rpg maker map and some other things) but it isn't a must.

Can I get any takers :p?

my semi completed MAL it should be mostly up to date for older shows, though shows that have aired in the last 2 years or so might actually be complete and I forgot to add them >.<;

anyways I am heading to bed soon so I will check when I wake up if there were any takers. (though I might respond if there is anyone quick lol)

Yes this is partially because of the localization campaign for skip beat, but beyond that I plan to challenge people to One Outs and Dennou Coil at a later time as well as I am tired of no one knowing these great shows :/

Yeah ill take you up on it after I finish Lain. It looks like a series id enjoy(sucks that the campaign is still NA exclusive because it is a lot more upfront and honest than the escaflowne scam)

Ill give you a few choices for your end. Haven't seen the dubs for some of these myself, so they might be bad but:

Free! season 1
JoJo season 1-dub is really campy and enjoyable
Kino's Journey
Ping Pong

Also, indeed more people should watch One Outs if only to realize the greatness of T&#333;a Tokuchi

Qurupeke

Eureka 7 11

Is this the point that the anime becomes great? Because oh my god, this episode was amazing. I knew that something was missing and it was a competent rival mecha, and we just got an awesome one. And the pilot is even better. :)

Eureka 7 11

Is this the point that the anime becomes great? Because oh my god, this episode was amazing. I knew that something was missing and it was a competent rival mecha, and we just got an awesome one. And the pilot is even better. :)
She is the best character in the show and I'm glad you are one of the many that understand that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom