• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I hate the focus on "worldbuilding" in western fantasy and fantasy games, I see this fauxRPG trend as the opposite extreme, where writers just eschew worldbuilding entirely in favor of Capitalized Class Names and familiar J/MMORPG systems (loot, parties, bosses).

In effect they're saying "us gamers right? let's move on to the character drama then", except the character drama is never anything special, with the exception of works like Maoyuu. What sets Maoyuu apart is that the writer used the energy saved by not worldbuilding to give economics lessons, effectively trading one responsibility for another. I think that's fine. I don't like it when writers stretch themselves thing trying to cover everything *COUGHGRRMCOUGH*, but the recent string of fauxRPG LNs is just deplorably lazy.

/endrant

This mostly just feels like the next step in self-insert power fantasy. Make a story where a real life person gets transported into a fantasy world and amazes everyone, and here are numbers going up to make it even more awesome!

Gamification of LNs makes sense, what better way to fake progression then literal level ups and numbers going up. Might as well give Kirito a fucking skill cape.

Is that really true? Recently out of just what I've watched we got Rage of Bahamut Genesis, Garo, and Chaika. I'm sure there are a few more I haven't see. Naruto is still running even though the manga ended. There's more Berserk coming. Drifters is coming. There's probably shit I'm forgetting too. Is this like the "mecha is dying out" thing? Lol.

I don't think pseudo-fantasy replaced anything, it just added to the noise.

Looking ahead, there's light fantasy such as Flying Witch and Kumamiko, Arabian inspired fantasy such as the Sinbad movies and the Magi Sinbad spinoff, kids' fantasy in Monster Hunter Stories. Not dominant, but not absent either.

No it was Majestic Prince.

Orange: the saviors of mecha.

It's kind of amazing how actual fantasy has sort of died or tapered off and been replaced with this psuedo-fantasy stuff.

I wouldn't say this is the case because there are actual competent Fantasy type setting in the medium. Heck The Ancient Magus Bride has some really great worldbuilding of its fantasy setting which I give props to the author because it feels alive and magical.

Also Dungeon Meshi has been mentioned quite a few times in this thread and its a solid fantasy series.

duckroll

just wait for the mobage inspired fantasy light novels.

I can't wait.

51Ko9hefO1L._SX353_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51OhNhOKrkL._SX353_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I wouldn't say this is the case because there are actual competent Fantasy type setting in the medium. Heck The Ancient Magus Bride has some really great worldbuilding of its fantasy setting which I give props to the author because it feels alive and magical.

Also Dungeon Meshi has been mentioned quite a few times in this thread and its a solid fantasy series.

I don't think he was making claims for other media.

Jintor

Dan Machi isn't an MMO

it has weird bits and pieces in terms of whether or not it's a game - they talk about low-level adventurers for instance, but I think it's ambiguous as to whether they just mean 'inexperienced' or literally 'these guys can't clear the first floor of the dungeon so they're stuck at these lower levels'.

of course the fact the entire thing is about how the dungeon has its own working ecosystem probably means it's not a game in any sense of the word.

i didn't watch much of of it but I thought pickup dungeon had an interesting variation where the gods were playing a game and everybody else lived in their world.

it has weird bits and pieces - they talk about low-level adventurers for instance, but I think it's ambiguous as to whether they just mean 'inexperienced' or literally 'these guys can't clear the first floor of the dungeon so they're stuck at these lower levels'.

And the main character has actual stat levels and ability numbers that rise.

Jarmel

Banned
I feel like it would be interesting to count the number of traditional fantasy shows and compare it to modern times, probably with the mecha genre too, but when going to MAL I saw over 1000 titles.

I don't have time for that.

Is that really true? Recently out of just what I've watched we got Rage of Bahamut Genesis, Garo, and Chaika. I'm sure there are a few more I haven't see. Naruto is still running even though the manga ended. There's more Berserk coming. Drifters is coming. There's probably shit I'm forgetting too. Is this like the "mecha is dying out" thing? Lol.

I don't think pseudo-fantasy replaced anything, it just added to the noise.

I was going to ask if Naruto had a fantasy setting, but honestly it has the vaguest aesthetic. They have tvs and skyscrapers ffs.

Jarmel

Banned
I was going to ask if Naruto had a fantasy setting, but honestly it has the vaguest aesthetic. They have tvs and skyscrapers ffs.

If we're talking about anything that has magic then you have to include the Fate series titles and the chuuni bunch too.

I thought he was specifically talking about anime/manga, if not then my mistake.

Mainly on the anime side. I don't read enough manga to claim otherwise.

I feel like it would be interesting to count the number of traditional fantasy shows and compare it to modern times, probably with the mecha genre too, but when going to MAL I saw over 1000 titles.

I don't have time for that.

If you're just talking about secondary world fantasies it'd take even longer because there's no tag for that.

Clov

You know, I've just realized, while I've seen plenty of 80s anime, I haven't actually watched that much 80s TV anime. Most of what I've seen from that era has been films and OVAs. I already plan on watching Votoms and Urusei Yatsura at some point. What else is recommended?

While I'm at it, I wouldn't mind some good 70s TV anime to watch as well. I've seen a bit from this era already, namely Lupin III S1, Aim for the Ace, Captain Harlock, Future Boy Conan, and Rose of Versailles. What are the other classics that I'm missing out on here? Takahata made a show or two during this era, didn't he?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
When am I getting an Etrian Odyssey anime?

Ancient Magus Bride is GOOD and that's why it'll never get an anime. Not nearly enough loli-pantsu for sponsors to fund it.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Yeah, using number and stats in a fantasy setting is a lazy way to explain the character power. Though i don't mind it in a parody story like "How i stalked some dude with an exposed nipple and stumble upon zenithian sword"

Speaking of fantasy, what happened to the Vinland Saga anime? Did they ever announce details?
I don't think there's any anime announcement for Vinland Saga, yet.

Huh. I could be wrong, but I thought it happened at some point last year. Anyone wanna check? Could be my bad.

Already ahead of you, I started frantically Googling. I can't find anything. Looks like there were two "teasers" one in 2013 and one in 2015, that might be what you assumed was an announcement. Neither were anime announcements.

And the main character has actual stat levels and ability numbers that rise.

There is this insanely good manga called Plunderer where everyone in the world has a number that raises or lowers based on a criteria that varies person to person (One girls number is how many people she has helped, another character's number is how many steps her mother took in her lifetime - stuff like that). The catch is that if someone with a higher number than you gives you a command, you have to obey. It really sets up for some fucked situations and the art is A+. It absolutely needs to be an anime when it gets more content, since it's only been around for about a year.

Also, I really, really hope that the Clockwork Planet adaptation isn't mediocre when it lands. :l

duckroll

Damn. I think I might have totally made it up in my head. Sorry. :(

I do seem to also recall some troll announcement about an anime adaptation that turned out to be some cry for help going "We've been trying to find an anime studio willing to adapt this manga why hasn't anyone stepped up yet?!" Was that Vinland Saga or some other manga? My memory's so bad...

This came up on twitter earlier. There's been this quiet run of fantasy shows that's just sort of forgotten lately (mostly because bad but hey)

• Maoyu
  • Rage of Bahamut
  • Chaika
  • Shirayuki-hime
  • Garo
  • Yona of the Dawn
  • Rokka no Yuusha

Feels like the game/mmo angles are just higher profile in terms of fan awareness.

Chaos Dragon
Senyu

deserve mention as well.

You know, I've just realized, while I've seen plenty of 80s anime, I haven't actually watched that much 80s TV anime. Most of what I've seen from that era has been films and OVAs. I already plan on watching Votoms and Urusei Yatsura at some point. What else is recommended?

While I'm at it, I wouldn't mind some good 70s TV anime to watch as well. I've seen a bit from this era already, namely Lupin III S1, Aim for the Ace, Captain Harlock, Future Boy Conan, and Rose of Versailles. What are the other classics that I'm missing out on here? Takahata made a show or two during this era, didn't he?

Takahata made some excellent shows for World Masterpiece Theater which are worth watching: Anne of Green Gables, Heidi, and Marco. Other than that, I can recommend Dirty Pair, Patlabor TV, and maybe Kimagure Orange Road.

Damn. I think I might have totally made it up in my head. Sorry. :(

I do seem to also recall some troll announcement about an anime adaptation that turned out to be some cry for help going "We've been trying to find an anime studio willing to adapt this manga why hasn't anyone stepped up yet?!" Was that Vinland Saga or some other manga? My memory's so bad...

I don't expect Vinland Saga to get an anime anytime soon.

I don't think that was Vinland Saga, and I'm not sure how close VS is to being finished, probably past the halfway mark. Planetes did get an anime so I wouldn't count it out.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You've already forgotten about Rakugo Shinjuu? :(
I didn't count that because I already reviewed the first episode a day or so ago. lol
Although my question would be how it uses the period nature of the story... but that's probably due to my ignorance because I have no idea what Japan would have been like then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom