• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonjonaug

Damn. I think I might have totally made it up in my head. Sorry. :(

I do seem to also recall some troll announcement about an anime adaptation that turned out to be some cry for help going "We've been trying to find an anime studio willing to adapt this manga why hasn't anyone stepped up yet?!" Was that Vinland Saga or some other manga? My memory's so bad...

You might have been thinking of Citrus? I know the author and publishers of that manga have been talking about wanting to do an adaptation, but they're having trouble getting it produced.

duckroll

If we start spreading a rumor that Masahiro Ando is directing a Vinland Saga anime at BONES for 2017, with Tsunenori Saito doing character designs, Yutaka Nakamura as action animation director, Taku Kishimoto writing, and Kohei Tanaka composing, do you think it could come true? That's how it works in Persona right?

Cornbread78

Active Raid ep.1
I really like the intro's of the cast of characters. Looks like a diverse bunch that could lead to sone fun. Story/content wise, I'm not sure what to o think, lol. I mean, this episode was entertaining, but I wonder where they go with the story. More manservice than fanservice was an interesting change as well.

If we start spreading a rumor that Masahiro Ando is directing a Vinland Saga anime at BONES for 2017, with Tsunenori Saito doing character designs, Yutaka Nakamura as action animation director, Taku Kishimoto writing, and Kohei Tanaka composing, do you think it could come true? That's how it works in Persona right?

Nope, too late. That would have worked last year.

Spreading rumors? Something like that requires selling your soul to get it made.

Jarmel

Banned
What are the new rules?
Moving-animated-clip-art-picture-of-pendulum-x-bpm-3.gif

Everything from last year comes true but in the worst possible way.

Grimgar 1
This was really dull. Nothing about the setting or characters were established in a particularly interesting way, especially the female characters who were mostly just there to strike poses for the audience. It doesn't help that this is covering really stale territory. I'm not sure I even want to give this another episode.

Firemind

You know, I've just realized, while I've seen plenty of 80s anime, I haven't actually watched that much 80s TV anime. Most of what I've seen from that era has been films and OVAs. I already plan on watching Votoms and Urusei Yatsura at some point. What else is recommended?

While I'm at it, I wouldn't mind some good 70s TV anime to watch as well. I've seen a bit from this era already, namely Lupin III S1, Aim for the Ace, Captain Harlock, Future Boy Conan, and Rose of Versailles. What are the other classics that I'm missing out on here? Takahata made a show or two during this era, didn't he?
Galaxy Cyclone Braiger

Clov

Takahata made some excellent shows for World Masterpiece Theater which are worth watching: Anne of Green Gables, Heidi, and Marco. Other than that, I can recommend Dirty Pair, Patlabor TV, and maybe Kimagure Orange Road.

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll be sure to check out some of Takahata's TV work later on. I'll check out the 80s titles as well! The more good TV anime I see from that era the better.

Galaxy Cyclone Braiger

Looks like it could be fun! Some of the 80s TV works I've already seen have been mecha anime; Zeta Gundam and Ideon spring to mind. I enjoyed those, so maybe I'll give this a shot. Votoms will be first, though.

Taruranto

Low level D&D is boring #1

Male healer, eh? I bet I know what he likes *wink-wink".

But seriously, what's up with the recent surge of fantasy "trapped in a mmorpg" thing? Did anyone who watch Escaflowe or Lodoss of War think "OMG why doesn't this have a rpg system?" It felt like the author was too lazy to come up with a setting so he just went RPG 101.

duckroll

But seriously, what's up with the recent surge of fantasy "trapped in a mmorpg" thing? Did anyone who watch Escaflowe or Lodoss of War think "OMG why doesn't this have a rpg system?" It felt like the author was too lazy to come up with a setting so he just went RPG 101.

I blame SAO.

Tuck

Shirobako - 14
I sincerely hope meetings to decide on voice actors aren't actually like that.

Also, the author's manager is hilarious.

Low level D&D is boring #1

Male healer, eh? I bet I know what he likes *wink-wink".

The explosion in popularity of otaku-centric metanarrative writing I would wager.

Cross Game END - Hey, this show was really good. Maybe a little predictable, but all the characters are generally likable. Also had an entirely acceptable representation of the game of baseball. I think this might be my favorite genre in anime, not straight sports, not straight romance, but a health mix of the two. I really enjoy Baby Steps, Suzuka was pretty good, Chihayafuru was amongst my favorites. Apparently "H2" and "Touch" were both written by the same person, but those are much older, not sure how they hold up.

Jarmel

Banned
This sounds like advice from someone who has never watched the show! There are maybe 5 episodes max with "sakuga". The second half of the series is just.... ugh.

I seem to remember there being some good sequences in the backhalf too. Mainly with the Chinese Knife girl.

Cross Game END - Hey, this show was really good. Maybe a little predictable, but all the characters are generally likable. Also had an entirely acceptable representation of the game of baseball. I think this might be my favorite genre in anime, not straight sports, not straight romance, but a health mix of the two. I really enjoy Baby Steps, Suzuka was pretty good, Chihayafuru was amongst my favorites. Apparently "H2" and "Touch" were both written by the same person, but those are much older, not sure how they hold up.

Touch holds up. I'd recommend it to a fan of Cross Game.

Actually Grimgar episode 01 already skipped some scene to make the story move faster, because there is even more talking in LN, like Rokka level of talking lol.

Then again the LN is very slow so some of people's review are understandable, good thing is according to episode 02 preview the next battle will be there.

Well season is balls.

Okay
Erased
Assassination Classroom S2
BBK/BRNK

Not good, but might keep watching to see if it gets interesting

Dimension W
Grimgar

Everything else is shit.

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTT

Garo the Animation 1

This is pretty good so far. While the medieval fantasy setting is fairly standard, the designs of the characters, the general setting, and the Horrors are good looking and have a unique flair to them. The directing is pretty stylish as well. The way the "sex scene" evolved was pretty entertaining - you could see what was coming, and it was satisfying when it finally got there. Let's see how this goes.

When am I getting an Etrian Odyssey anime?

Ancient Magus Bride is GOOD and that's why it'll never get an anime. Not nearly enough loli-pantsu for sponsors to fund it.

But it sells about 300K per Vol. Its pretty popular in Japan plus it even was broadcasted on NHK if I'm not mistaken.

When am I getting an Etrian Odyssey anime?

Ancient Magus Bride is GOOD and that's why it'll never get an anime. Not nearly enough loli-pantsu for sponsors to fund it.

I would argue that more "loli-pantsu" in anime comes from animators wanting to draw them than from sponsors mandating that they be included. Look at cases such as Girls und Panzer and One Punch Man.

By Winter Season standards it's a pretty decent/good anime season.

It's nothing mind blowing or wow worthy but damn would I be lying to myself if I didn't say there were any great first episodes this season.

I didn't count that because I already reviewed the first episode a day or so ago. lol
Although my question would be how it uses the period nature of the story... but that's probably due to my ignorance because I have no idea what Japan would have been like then.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Do you think it's being inauthentic in its depiction of the setting?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I would argue that more "loli-pantsu" in anime comes from animators wanting to draw them than from sponsors mandating that they be included. Look at cases such as Girls und Panzer and One Punch Man.

Yeah, you're right. Ancient Magus getting adapted would be mean added fanservice.

Yeah, you're right. Ancient Magus getting adapted would be mean added fanservice.

What kind of fanservice could they even add to Ancient Magus Bride? Shit wouldn't even make sense.

Man like I said earlier in the thread I would want KyoAni to animate it.

Cornbread78

especially cornbread

he doesn't even come with porkchops, that fuck

SAO is to blame...for everything. Including Cornbread.

Fuck all ya'll gangly Weebo motha fuckers..

I ain't got shit to do with it, SAO rocks and fantasy animes do too. Eat it, I'm trying to work here.

I still love ya, but SAO rocks

Yes, the baseball parts brought back my youthful love of the game, but the character interactions and growth through the series was excellent.

Kare Kano ep.3
Excellent episode with lots of background info on our dreamy MC. good character /relationship growth early on as well.

Dragon Ball Z: Bardock: The Father of Goku

Dragan-Ball-Special-1-Bardock-The-Father-of-Goku-English-Dubbed.jpg

HE CAN SEE THE FUTUREEEE!

So after much procrastination, it's time to tackle Bardock's special and OVA today.

I actually had a lot more to say about this special but after writing most of it (read: round 500 words), I decided to have it be my write up be for an assignment for university instead. So I'll just say that's it's a good special, on par with Garlic Jr. and World's Strongest in terms of quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom