• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiya guys. Got a friend who was looking to watch some slice of life anime that was very down to earth and not cutesy but I couldn't think of any that met those specifications. So I wanted to ask here and see if any of y'all could help me with that by giving me some recommendations to any good ones that would meet those specifications

Anne of Green Gables.

trejo

Sexuality is disgusting and you should be ashamed.

Sexuality is awesome and I'm ashamed of nothing
(that I would diclose on a public forum, at least)
!

Trashy fanservice for the sake of trashy fanservice is slightly less awesome, unfortunately.

Squalor

Goddamn, Active Raid was boring as hell.

And most of the characters were grating.

Pass.

I should have known as soon as I saw that weak-ass, cliché opening, though.

jbug617

Banned
So what are the chances Trigger will do anything with When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace. It probably didn't sell well but that show was good.

Sterok

Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans 14

New op and ed aren't as good, but they're serviceable. Time for Kudelia to shine. But first, shopping. Biscuit sort of lucks out with family. Except probably not. Time for the revolution... of the colonies? Fumitan is part of another revolutionary arm? Didn't see that coming. Very interested in where this is going.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Code Geass Akito the Exiled 3

I almost forgot what I was watching for the first 10 minutes and remembered" Oh wait, this is Code Geass."

Code Geass Akito the Exiled 4

I kinda expect more people to die but no, we must make friends not enemies in this time of war. Also the story needs to be padded for who knows how long.

Rainbow Days 1

Simple shoujo slice-of-life romance. I haven't seen one in a while, so maybe that's why I'm enjoying this more than I should.

Schwarzesmarken 1

Wasn't bad, but partially thinking that I would rather rewatch Fafner instead.

Durarara character designs continue to tempt me because I love Suzuhito Yasuda but then I remember the show bores me to tears every time I give it a chance.

Squalor

Okay, yeah, Dimension W is definitely worth watching for now.
Durarara character designs continue to tempt me because I love Suzuhito Yasuda but then I remember the show bores me to tears every time I give it a chance.
Character development is great. Love it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Mononoke would be good. It's a niche series and lacks a lot of anime-isms so you can get a broader audience.

NomarTyme

Damn the only anime I like so far is Boku Dake ga Inai Machi. I should go back and watch some anime I missed during previous years.

Quasar

So what are the chances Trigger will do anything with When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace. It probably didn't sell well but that show was good.

Sees unlikely, which bums me out. Especially as the source material isn't even getting fan translated. Is trigger even into doing sequels in terms of series?

Shouta

Dagashi Kashi 1

So Japanese snack foods and anime reference antics huh. Pretty much what I expected from the show name and the art. I might watch a few more of these but it won't be a priority. Kokonotsu is the worst name to give a son ever. What were you thinking Dad?

ACTIVE Raid 1

I like this! It reminds me of Tiger and Bunny, Patlabor, and Sentai shows. I love a lot of the little details like how they move around Tokyo, how they have to get approval from the various Wards, being bound by political stuff, etc. I defnitely want to see where this goes.

However, this first episode is really rocky. It's trying to basically set everything up in the show all in the first ep. As a result, the pace is super fast and there's no time to digest anything. I hope they can slow it down with ep 2. I had to laugh at Asami being like "I'm dabes, I'll whip them into shape" and everyone is literally more capable of her on Unit 8, lol.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Koyokoyogatari OP
giphy.gif

Darker than black is the only really popular one in there. The rest have their audiences but could work as a let's watch.

I'd suggest against rainbow. It was solid during the first part but it shits the bed in the second half and becomes a drag.

My suggestion would be either katanagatari or mononoke. The former probably has more appeal than the latter for a wider audience. I watched mononoke recently and while it's gorgeous and intriguing I don't think you'll get many to watch it.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shunjuu 01

I had to google what Rakugo was to get some context of what was going on lol. I was entranced by this show somehow. Did it drag sometimes? It did. But it is something so different from everything that I've watched so far that I just couldn't help but want to watch more and more. This could change though.

Cornbread78

Darker than black is the only really popular one in there. The rest have their audiences but could work as a let's watch.

I'd suggest against rainbow. It was solid during the first part but it shits the bed in the second half and becomes a drag.

My suggestion would be either katanagatari or mononoke. The former probably has more appeal than the latter for a wider audience. I watched mononoke recently and while it's gorgeous and intriguing I don't think you'll get many to watch it.

What about Moribito?

I remember Moribito being fine when I watched it back when it aired on adult swim. So at the very least it has reached a western audience before. Up to you. It has the strength of a mother figure with a son when it's usually a father figure protecting daughter.

Cornbread78

Squalor

The Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū première was fantastic.

Best writing in an anime in a very long time.

Once I looked up "rakugo," I knew what it was, but I hadn't known the name for it.

Great character work so far with what seems like interesting backstory fill in to come.

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 1

So Hatakeyama's directing here really shines, even if it's not as flashy as his previous directing has been. He's really matured into someone quite refined, who can match this material perfectly. I just want to point out how much I like the character designs, and how indicative they are of personalities. Look at this shot from the preview of episode 2:

The difference in appearance between these two - their skin color, their facial structure, their facial expression, their hairstyle, their posture, their clothing, the color of their clothing, the way they're holding their respective sheets of paper - it tells you everything you need to do about what kind of people they are.

Cornbread78

Decent but I dropped it because it was just frustrating to watch and I didn't have the energy to go through with it.

Surprisingly not bad.

It loses its way narratively and with pacing, and it leaves a lot of things unsatisfyingly unanswered by the end.

The character work is well done, though.

It's too bad it's so damn ugly. The style and animation are both just terrible and wind up detracting from the experience as a whole.

Damn, concept looks good and ratings are good, but I guess it has issues like everything else.

jonjonaug

More episode 1 evaluations..

Rakugo - Looks like there's something really good airing this season after all. The performance in the middle of the episode showcases why this work is deserving of a manga->anime adaptation.

Grimgar - This feels more like a "transported into Etrian Odyssey" story than a "transported into an MMO" story. The pacing is really slow and nothing's really happened yet, so I don't think I can give this a proper evaluation without a three episode test.

Schwarzesmarken - I liked it. It had giant robots and aliens and communist scum. If it continues to have these three things in great quantities and doesn't fuck around like Total Eclipse did I will definitely be sticking around.

Please Tell Me! Galko-chan - You know if the direction was better this could work as the sort of thing you'd expect Melissa McCarthy in. The jokes are OK but the mediocre direction makes them fall kind of flat.

Sekko Boys - I went in expecting an idol show parody with sculptures and that's exactly what this is. Nothing to write home about, but if you're familiar with male idol anime/manga/games and think the concept is funny you'll probably like this competent (but not much more than that) execution of that setup.

Damn, concept looks good and ratings are good, but I guess it has issues like everything else.

It was popular back in the day because "oh wow killer lolis". As a work on its own it's OK, but it kind of pales in comparison to the original visual novel.

sonicmj1

Hai to Gensou no Grimgar 1

I want this to be good enough that I'll give it some more episodes. Certainly the background art is impressive.

It's definitely more leering and exploitative of its female characters than it needs to be, but I like the different tenor of it compared to other shows with similar premises. The characters don't understand the world, and are still trying to figure out how to contribute in any meaningful way. And it'd be one thing just to watch them fail, but I like that the show is currently focused on developing the cast and their day-to-day interactions. Everyone fills a role in the group, and by the end we have a good sense of what that means outside of battle.

I just wish the interactions themselves were more meaningful. Everything's either been very on the nose about survival, or about sexually harassing the women in the show. It's going to need to do a better job of attaching me to the characters if I'm going to really get into it.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Dimension W 1

I did not expect this to be this good O.O

Beautiful art and animation. MC with beard and has grey morals to say the least.
Also seinen sci-fi must be one of the best combinations ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom