• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgminto

Man, Crunchyroll's schedule is pretty abysmal so far. I don't think they have anything I want to check out aside from ERASED maybe.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
That would actually make things even worse. Not worth pulling away resources from the 2D character animation for this boring and nonsensical mech garbage. Just give me like 20-some minutes of this:
Zco0Qb8.jpg

Clov

Sentai are a pretty underwhelming company. I just got my order from the RighStuf holiday sale in, and it's noticeable how much cheaper and flimsier the Sentai BD cases (Colorful, Flowers of Evil) are than the Funi (Ping Pong) and NISA (Eccentric Family) cases. I wish they didn't pick up so many licenses.

It's true; Sentai (along with the closely related company Maiden Japan) is by far the cheapest out of all the North American anime companies. They don't even have spectacular video quality to make up for their cheap packaging like Discotek. However, I don't mind them being around, since often they pick up stuff that nobody else would be willing to. If not for Sentai's "grab everything as cheap as we can and toss it out there" approach, I doubt Flowers of Evil and Windy Tales would have gotten released in North America, for example.

With regards to the bolded... you may be very disappointed in the video quality of Sentai's release here. Very, very disappointed. Together with Penguindrum it's one of Sentai's worst.

I ended up watching The Devil is a Part Timer while impatiently waiting for Prince of Stride.

I didn't realize it was a harem. It was so good until it was a harem. I hope it's not really a harem somehow. :l

I ended up watching The Devil is a Part Timer while impatiently waiting for Prince of Stride.

I didn't realize it was a harem. It was so good until it was a harem. I hope it's not really a harem somehow. :l

That's silly just for the fact that Maousama is a legit great show which needs another season so badly.

Qurupeke

I don't remember it a lot, but I'd swear that it's not a harem. Actually, I just remember the premise, that the last girl is the best and that he works on McRonald's.

Ascheroth

I can't remember it being a harem show. It's a love triangle at best.

The Devil is a Part-Timer is a pretty legit show.

The people involved clearly knew how to animate comedy.

Also that first episode was goddamn metal as fuck.

It's true; Sentai (along with the closely related company Maiden Japan) is by far the cheapest out of all the North American anime companies. They don't even have spectacular video quality to make up for their cheap packaging like Discotek. However, I don't mind them being around, since often they pick up stuff that nobody else would be willing to. If not for Sentai's "grab everything as cheap as we can and toss it out there" approach, I doubt Flowers of Evil and Windy Tales would have gotten released in North America, for example.

It's nice that Sentai will throw pretty much anything out there, but it's kind of useless if the quality is so bad that the discs are not worth using. Plus, with the Internet being what it is now, physical media is only really worth owning if it's of durable quality that's enjoyable to hold and look at. Making it cheap and disposable is really pointless. I normally try to avoid Sentai, but there's some stuff they have that I like a whole lot, so it's difficult.

With regards to the bolded... you may be very disappointed in the video quality of Sentai's release here. Very, very disappointed. Together with Penguindrum it's one of Sentai's worst.

Ooof. I really love that film too, and it's very beautiful, especially the backgrounds. Guess I should have looked at blu-ray.com or somewhere before buying. I'll just have to hope that a little of my money makes it back to the production companies.

After watching the lastest Nisekoi OVA.

This was quite funny. Not sure if I like the sweet as saccharin wife segment more or that magical girls second part.

That would actually make things even worse. Not worth pulling away resources from the 2D character animation for this boring and nonsensical mech garbage. Just give me like 20-some minutes of this:

SIR. SIR PLEASE.

Though to be fair, the mecha aspect of the Macross franchise was never all that exciting I suppose (outside of the original where the entire town ship transformed into a giant robot).

But with beautiful 2D mecha animation being such a rarity in the industry nowadays, I'd happily watch that alongside good character animation. It's not like it's impossible for the two to coexist!

Crocodile

From the last topic

per duckroll
You don't need words or narratives to have something to say. When I feel that a work has nothing to say at all and have a negative impression of it because of that, it is because the work is completely hollow. Art is about expression, you can express themes, emotions, and thoughts through many forms. Music videos, even instrumental ones, can have a lot to say. It doesn't need to be a story with dialogue or a strict narrative. But it needs to at least try to want to say -something-.

What I'm saying is that I feel a lot of people will argue something has "nothing to say" if it doesn't have those attributes as easily discernible or lacks an overarching narrative or is a piece of media not conducive to a character study. It's a line of thought I've seen used to dismiss works like TTGL, One Punch Man, Space Dandy, etc. as somehow lesser works and I find it really frustrating (to say sometimes totally incorrect).

per nintendoman58
I feel the same way. In fact, it's another reason why I plug TTGL a lot.

A lot of people seem to dismiss TTGL with comments like: "Oh, it's good if you like mindless action, it's good because it's so insane with it's scale, but Evangelion is obviously better because it's much more human and relatable, blah blah blah."

I'm not going to argue the fact that, objectively, Evangelion has better written characters and story than TTGL, no question about that. But what I often see mentioned, at least how I interpret it, in response is that Evangelion is profound in its storytelling while TTGL is not, which I find to be completely false.

TTGL I say really is profound. It puts tons of effort into saying about why humanity is good, why we're capable of great things, why we need to always think positive. It's not like it's ignorant. It knows of the bad things that exist and the bad things that will happen (Rossiu's dilemma, the spiral nemesis, etc). However, one of its major strengths comes from how it says we should continue to think positive in spite of those bad things.

Sure, other shows have made those sorts of argument before but none I believe, have made an effort to do it as much as TTGL has. I feel like it's unfair just seeing TTGL as just "overrated mindless mecha action". It tries so hard to make its message clear. It's a mecha show that does what a lot of mecha shows, or even a lot of anime in general nowadays don't do that much anymore.

It tries to make you feel good about yourself, and who you are as a human being.

So many shows are drenched in cynicism, so many shows do so much to show how evil some people are, how wrong some things are, how there's just so much pain and sadness in the world. And I won't be ignorant and say that some of those shows like those aren't necessary or even unlikable. Like, I love both Madoka Magica and Kino's Journey and those shows have a lot of cynicism in them!

But those shows never forget to show the good as well as the bad. It's why I hate it when praise for something like Madoka Rebellion is given just because people deem it as a "fuck you" to the fans, and "they deserve to be betrayed", without caring about anything else about it. Like, really? That's why you enjoy a work? Because you think it deliberately insults people? Screw that shit.

But I'm getting off topic. Bottom line: Don't dismiss shows like TTGL because you think they're nothing but overhyped well-animated garbage. Take the time and look to see what a show is saying and how it's saying it before you really criticize it.

This guy gets it <3

I hope we can vote for Samurai Jack in the 2016 AOTY thread. It has samurais and is drawn, counts as anime.

No joke, Samurai Jack 2016 will probably be better than the entire TV output of Japan this year. Genndy too strong <3

New Voltron? Intersted piqued though given history it will probably be meh at best :/

dimb

SIR. SIR PLEASE.

Though to be fair, the mecha aspect of the Macross franchise was never all that exciting I suppose (outside of the original where the entire town ship transformed into a giant robot).

But with beautiful 2D mecha animation being such a rarity in the industry nowadays, I'd happily watch that alongside good character animation. It's not like it's impossible for the two to coexist!
Let's be realistic: time and budget are limited resources. The more of that they can take away from the mechs for something like this the better, because they really don't matter and there is almost a zero percent chance Macross Delta will have a worthwhile action scene with or without CG interference. Can the mechs make silly faces? No? Why are they even in this show?

Clov

It's nice that Sentai will throw pretty much anything out there, but it's kind of useless if the quality is so bad that the discs are not worth using. Plus, with the Internet being what it is now, physical media is only really worth owning if it's of durable quality that's enjoyable to hold and look at. Making it cheap and disposable is really pointless. I normally try to avoid Sentai, but there's some stuff they have that I like a whole lot, so it's difficult.

Ooof. I really love that film too, and it's very beautiful, especially the backgrounds. Guess I should have looked at blu-ray.com or somewhere before buying. I'll just have to hope that a little of my money makes it back to the production companies.

That's true; there's not much point to owning something physically if it's not very good quality. While their packaging remains cheap to this day, thankfully their video quality has improved since their earlier days of releasing BDs. I'm still somewhat cautious about picking up their titles, but not quite as much as I was before. Some of their 12 episode, one disc BD titles actually have been decent, which surprised me greatly.

While they're definitely towards the bottom, they're not even the worst company in the business. Mind you, that's only because Media Blasters, the tapeworm of the North American anime industry, somehow still exists.

Let's be realistic: time and budget are limited resources. The more of that they can take away from the mechs for something like this the better, because they really don't matter and there is almost a zero percent chance Macross Delta will have a worthwhile action scene with or without CG interference. Can the mechs make silly faces? No? Why are they even in this show?

Well no, Macross mechs certainly can't make silly faces.

If they looked like Brave Police J-Decker mechs they certainly could!

That's true; there's not much point to owning something physically if it's not very good quality. While their packaging remains cheap to this day, thankfully their video quality has improved since their earlier days of releasing BDs. I'm still somewhat cautious about picking up their titles, but not quite as much as I was before. Some of their 12 episode, one disc BD titles actually have been decent, which surprised me greatly.

While they're definitely towards the bottom, they're not even the worst company in the business. Mind you, that's only because Media Blasters, the tapeworm of the North American anime industry, somehow still exists.

Does Media Blasters really still exist? When was the last time they released something?

kyoani show is not getting simulcast again?

It's getting simulcast on Crunchyroll, as I believe all KyoAni shows since Hyouka have been.

Clov

Does Media Blasters really still exist? When was the last time they released something?

Believe it or not, they just released Ladies Versus Butlers on Blu-Ray. They've been releasing a small amount of anime on DVD as well, though they've been catching a lot of criticism for poor video quality, frequently faulty discs, and using DVD-Rs instead of pressed discs.

Believe it or not, they just released Ladies Versus Butlers on Blu-Ray. They've been releasing a small amount of anime on DVD as well, though they've been catching a lot of criticism for poor video quality, frequently faulty discs, and using DVD-Rs instead of pressed discs.

Wow. Is it just one guy burning them in his basement?

Mature

It honestly wouldn't surprise me.

Edit: Finally found my favorite Media Blasters related picture! Here's a picture someone took of their re-release of Otoboku:

Sasuga Media Blasters
In unrelated news, I'm selling Urusei Yatsura on a series of thumb drives if anyone's interested.

Hanayamata 10

Are these the stupidest girls ever or what? And you know what the worst part is? After all this time, I still don't really understand why anyone would care about yosakoi.

dimb

After all this time, I still don't really understand why anyone would watch Hanayamata.

Edit: Finally found my favorite Media Blasters related picture! Here's a picture someone took of their re-release of Otoboku:

Sasuga Media Blasters

Such a professional company.

The fuck? This is worse then WB's JoJo release

I think Jojo is more insulting, because at least with Media Blasters you know you're dealing with a shoestring operation instead of a substantial media conglomerate.

Clov

After all this time, I still don't really understand why anyone would watch Hanayamata.

It's not great, but it was cute.

I think Jojo is more insulting, because at least with Media Blasters you know you're dealing with a shoestring operation instead of a substantial media conglomerate.

I'm really hoping that if WB does a BD release of Jojo's, they'll have proper subtitles. It wouldn't even take any effort! Just use the ones from Crunchyroll!

It's not great, but it was cute.

Yeah, it looks nice mostly and has a pretty good soundtrack, and there are some charming moments when the cast isn't being stupid. Not Reiko Yoshida's finest moment though.

I'm really hoping that if WB does a BD release of Jojo's, they'll have proper subtitles. It wouldn't even take any effort! Just use the ones from Crunchyroll!

That still baffles me. They go to the effort of making English subtitles for the Japanese BDs and then don't use them when they actually release discs in English-speaking countries.

It's not a harem show.

That's silly just for the fact that Maousama is a legit great show which needs another season so badly.

I don't remember it a lot, but I'd swear that it's not a harem. Actually, I just remember the premise, that the last girl is the best and that he works on McRonald's.

Okay, I got to Ep 6 or so and we started having no development with Tsun girl, Chi falling into the background, and Neighbor girl visiting all the time. I just assumed we were going to keep adding girls.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Talking of subs, if anyone has a chance to ever ask a question to a panel of publishers (like at a con), ask them why it's so hard for them to put English subs for the English dub track.

Sasuga Media Blasters

Disgusting.

Media Blasters was dead to me around the time they laid off 60% of its employees and became heavily reliant on Hentai. At that point, I knew they no longer had anything noteworthy to offer.

While I think Sentai is the worst of the NA companies with regards to video quality, I do respect them for going after titles that have a low chance of succeeding or proven bombs in the past, (Higurashi springs to mind).

I can only hope they don't screw up Higurashi's release when they finally get to it. Can't be any worse than Geneon's release anyway...right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom