• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I won't argue that outside once we get to new Fast and the Furious (5 and forward).

But the comparison was more due to Vin doing the films and then using the money from that for his passion project, which is the riddick films.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
WASSHOI/10 masterpiece, TRIGGER saved the anime, again

why would you be proud of shit posting???
I personally gave it a YEARRRT/10, but i agree with your rating

Sometimes I wonder what would the world be like if Ninja Slayer had One Punch Man's animation.
The world is not ready for that.

Godammit Kyoani. This ain't Mysterious Girlfriend X.
I see kyoani saving anime again.

Garo the Animation 6

This is basically a magical girl show for guys. There's an overarching plot being balanced with Horrors of the Week, the heroes transform to fight, the Horrors prey on the darkness in human hearts and possess them, the Horror designs often reflect the human or problem being dealt with (this episode featured a Horror which made creative use of the possessed human's profession of blacksmith), and so forth. It's neat.

phaze

I think I managed to withstood 3 episodes of Garo before bolting out. Maybe watching S2 would retroactively make S1 any good.
tea5qkb6.png

Erigu

[Monogatari series]
What do the words on each one mean? I wonder what they'll be about.
"撫": to stroke, to pat
It's the first character is Nadeko's name, so chances are that book will (at least partly) be about her. Then again, I guess it could also be referring to Shinobu's head...

"結": to tie, to fasten, to join
Nisio was recently saying he wanted to write a couple more Off Season novels, so maybe that will be last one, "tying" everything up? For what it's worth, it's also the first character in the Japanese word for "marriage"...

Jaxec

Phantom World 2

This show continues being kinda fun. Best part of the episode was the fight against the ufo phantom. Haruhiko getting thrown out the window got some chukles from me. Also I don't know how, but this show somehow feels lewder to me than others shows currently airing. I guess it those little things that do it.

Myriad Colors Phantom World Episode 2 – Take Out the Annoying UFO!
CYnfeU3WQAAWY3k.jpg
CYnkgZaWwAA8h_b.jpg

Loved the philosophers and linguists background.

Kind of funny at times.

The chants feel a bit weak and lazy. There is just too much repetition.

He definitely showed a lot of restraint in TTGL. As a result, the storytelling in that comes off as much more meaningful than his other works.

As extreme as Gurren Lagann got in spectacle, I think it demonstrates that Imaishi understands the value in letting a scene breathe. He just really hasn't applied it since.

Fair enough. I don't like TTGL, but it doesn't seem like Imaishi went as crazy there, especially sexually, as he did in later works.

Qurupeke

Phantom World 2

I was prepared for lewdness but this episode actually delivered, in a good sense. Good episode, I liked it more than the first. It was pretty fun, the action was great, I like the explanations they give and the story seems interesting so far, even though it's early to tell. Second part of the episode, was again the best part of it. So random, with Haruhiko falling all the time, the total mayhem when the UFO appeared and then the summoned puppy.

Also, so much stretching and I love the way Mai fights. You don't find a lot of female characters that use brutal force in animes. I have to say that the last scene felt weird but it will be interesting to see how this healing ability will turn out.

Haruchika - Haruta & Chika Episode 2 Cloth Cube

Wow that was a really good episode. Loved the mission to try to get the girl to join the club and pahzuru. Puzzles will always remind me of Phi Brain. Actually the plot did seem like something that would have fit into that anime.

Excellent ep2.

Character design is good too, Haruta, drummer boy in the OP, yellow hair boy in the preview for next episode, all definitive designs.

Qurupeke

[Monogatari series]

It's the first character is Nadeko's name, so chances are that book will (at least partly) be about her. Then again, I guess it could also be referring to Shinobu's head...

Nisio was recently saying he wanted to write a couple more Off Season novels, so maybe that will be last one, "tying" everything up? For what it's worth, it's also the first character in the Japanese word for "marriage"...

Well, those are some interesting words and certainly vague, as always. For the second book, I really have no idea what they may want to do. I'd love if they try to tie things up, as you say, but I really prefer if they do that to move for the next big arc and not to a conclusion. I doubt the book will involve a marriage but it would certainly spice things up. lol

About the first one, it makes sense to be for Shinobu, especially since everything is focused on her right now. Kizumonogatari spoilers:
I'm really intrigued by the fact that Shinobu was a human, a story about her previous life and how she became a vampire seems like a given, especially this year that Kizu is hot.

Gintama 305

Holy fuck the serious fights in this series are brutal. I think one of my favorite sword fight tropes is when a sword breaks and someone grabs the broken blade to attack with. Unconventional sure but BALLSY.

300 episodes of build up paid off.

Now it's time for Gintoki rage mode, surely.

[Monogatari series]

lol at the idea that Monogatari will end. Nisio is the master of bullshitting new plots together and he writes more loose connections that can be interpreted multiple ways then Oda does. It's not like he hasn't done other stuff alongside the Monogatari novels, either.

Ascheroth

Gintama - 305

This was brutal. And sad. And bloody. And tragic. And kinda heartwarming. And did I mention bloody and sad? And then that cliffhanger happens. Fuck.

Phantom World - 02

Still lewd. Liked it better than the first episode. The UFO hijinks were fun and action good, but I thought the phantom designs of this one were weaker.

Erigu

Kizumonogatari spoilers:
I'm really intrigued by the fact that Shinobu was a human, a story about her previous life and how she became a vampire seems like a given, especially this year that Kizu is hot.
That's just been covered in Wazamonogatari, actually.

lol at the idea that Monogatari will end.
Hey, I meant "the last book of the Off Season".
I'm sure he could come up with a new season, and chances are he will. Wazamonogatari just introduced a new character that I imagine will show up again, for instance. And then, there would be Oshino and his friends, Kanbaru's mother...

Theonik

Fair enough. I don't like TTGL, but it doesn't seem like Imaishi went as crazy there, especially sexually, as he did in later works.
I mean TTGL still has some of Imaishi's signature stuff, but Imaishi can show restraint if he needs to. It's just that no-one really wants him to anymore.

Mononoke 02

Shit, this is one unique show. Going by the color pallete you wouldn't expect it to be a horror series but it is. Some exceptional direction and usage of imagery here, powerful for horror.

So I haven't seen the Psycho-pass movie, I hope it's good. I've heard good things.

But Ginoza has become almost offensively handsome in it.

Squalor

Man, I tried to give Active Raid's première episode another shot because the guy in charge did Planetes, which is an all-time great anime, just in case I missed something or I was just off at the time of watching it at first, but nope. It's terrible.

I suppose I have to keep in mind that the same guy did s-CRY-ed and Code Geass, too. One-hit wonder.

Man, I tried to give Active Raid's première episode another shot because the guy in charge did Planetes, which is an all-time great anime, just in case I missed something or I was just off at the time of watching it at first, but nope. It's terrible.

I suppose I have to keep in mind that the same guy did s-CRY-ed and Code Geass, too. One-hit wonder.

But you listed two hit anime.

He (goro Taniguchi) was also the director for Infinite Ryvius, which I really liked.

So . . . every season in this thread?

Hey, last season we discussed high quality stuff.

Like Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid and The Testament of Sister New Devil BURST.

To be honest though, there's just nothing this season that interests me. There's a real dearth of action anime this season. (Outside of maybe Dimension W?)

Hey, last season we discussed high quality stuff.

Like Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid and The Testament of Sister New Devil BURST.

To be honest though, there's just nothing this season that interests me. There's a real dearth of action anime this season. (Outside of maybe Dimension W?)

No one talked about Valkyrie Drive but me.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V Episode 88
CYnyfIdWkAAiveS.png
CYn1R5sWwAUPtEC.png

Epic display of the might of the Supreme King Black Dragon, Odd Eyes Rebellion Dragon, wow.I never noticed how malicious and malevolent it looked but at the hands of Yuuya-oniichan it looked like it was evil.

thought Crow would win, he was so close :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom