• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

That's not Happy Science!

It could be complete crap, but I still love the JRPG character designs.

konosuba01e-1.jpg

Exalted

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!
The popular "alternate world home comedy" centers around Kazuma Satō, a hikikomori (shut-in) die-hard fan of games, anime, and manga. A traffic accident brings his disappointingly brief life to an end … or it should have, but he wakes up and sees a beautiful girl who introduces herself as a goddess. "Hey, I have some good news — would you like to go to an alternate world? You may only bring one thing you like with you."

He responds, "…So, I'll bring you." With that, he is transported to another world and his great adventure subjugating the demon king begins … but first the hard work of finding food, clothing, and shelter begins. Kazuma wants to live in peace, but the goddess raises one problem after another, and then the demon king's army has its eyes set on him.

Reads like it could be fun, stupid but fun. Will definitely atleast watch the first episode.

Theonik

I actually liked Big O's previews, just a dude calling on a phone saying the episode name in a weird voice

VOTOMS is by far the best, though.
Chirico drinks. But the coffee of Wudo is bitter indeed.

Dragon Half
super atragon
Dragon Half isn't much to talk about but for how short it is, it was a decent fantasy parody of sorts, kind of indicative of the era it was made. Worth taking a look if you are looking to kill an hour or so.

Super Atragon is not terribly good. Some of the mechanical designs and animation are quite good but really it's not something I would necessarily recommend, while I wouldn't discourage you either. The Masamichi Amano soundtrack is the most notable part of the show. I'd check that out either way if I were you.

Phatmac

Wow...poor Gintoki and Takasugi. Both of them are haunted by their past trauma so they have no other choice but to lash out at each other due to the Joi war. This brutal fight was made even sadder after the flashbacks revealed a rivalry that was sweet in the past. They were all truly inspired from their sensei in order to carry on his samurai ideals. Gintoki kept it by any cost necessary which was something Takasugi could never accept. This was a great and tragic episode of old friends finally hashing everything out through their fists. Hoping we get Kagura vs Kamui next week. I just feel like crying right now... ;___;

Cornbread78

I know in the past sometimes people wait to see if a show is worth making an OT over before putting the effort in.

Everyone knows that OTs for obscure shows are fated to die. Why bother making them?

Have we seriously only got 1.5 OTs this season?

Guess that's what happens when the only good shows on offer are the shorts.

I'll make one for Konosuba too, lol.

Why is it always the "demon king" or the dragons constantly being the root of all evil in these fantasy shows?

Why can't LN writers do something creative for once and make those guys a bunch of friendly hipsters or something?

Qurupeke

Gintama 305

Just wow. So many questions answered in a single episode. This is so good.

Oboro is here and Gintoki is really in bad shape, things don't look really good.

Cornbread78

Why is it always the "demon king" or the dragons constantly being the root of all evil in these fantasy shows?

Why can't LN writers do something creative for once and make those guys a bunch of friendly hipsters or something?

Hipters in a fantasy world huh? If it was hipsters, I'm guessing it would be more Shoujo than anything else.

Little bit of fanservice at the begining, OK, strike that, Aqua's a$$ just hangs out there for all... but not bad so far... Funny stuff.... Start.

pbayne

I didn't think Nurse Witch Koumugi was parody when I watched it. It's fairly tongue in cheek with how it approaches a few different things but it's really just head on traditional magical girl stuff.

What it had cardcaptor cards, stupid overlong descriptions of powers that not even the characters understood, an adorable sailor moon like mascot that made her a magical girl for the most banal reason possible(save yourself from a cockroach)., really silly villains that have an even stupider objective than the heroes and Koumgi messing up her transformation sequence.

Granted they they may just be nods and homages but there is definitely an air of parody around that stuff

Cornbread78

Konosuba (Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!) ep.1
LdB4PQE.gif

Ok, That was pretty good. I like the world setting, the music, (ED is sweet!) the characters, so far, have unique personalities, and are very "non-traditional." They did time skip a little bit towards the end of the episode with still shots, which was felt cheap, but outside of that, they set things up for the season and it looks like it could be pretty damn fun to follow with the good comedy and interesting characters.

Creating OT, this should be fun.

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 01

That was probably the best opening on any of the shows I've seen thusfar this season. Gotta give the MC props that his selection was smart as fuck. Also goddess is tops cause clearly not wearing panties, is a hard drinker and can't hold her liquor either.

Cornbread78

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 01

That was probably the best opening on any of the shows I've seen thusfar this season. Gotta give the MC props that his selection was smart as fuck. Also goddess is tops cause clearly not wearing panties, is a hard drinker and can't hold her liquor either.

Yeah, it was pretty fun and I'll be looking forward to watching it. Do you want to do the OT?!?

Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Episode 34
CYmsuWDWMAAfO6K.png
CYmsv1uWwAAKcGl.png

Manjoume male bonding with Sho, wish it was with Juudai but at least he seems constantly and consistently worried for Juudai. Running and such to him is always nice.

Blue Eyes Ultimate Dragon is really epic.

Dont like the new OP much but the ED, KENN singing is really great. Not the best KENN song but definitely not anything less than good.

Chindogg

The Welsh Dragon is the hero of Highschool DxD.

The Demon King is
an ally of the MC
in Testament of A Sister New Devil Burst.

duckroll

Prince of Stride Alternative - Episode 2

This episode is much more blatant about the roots of the material as an otome game. Yet I can tell there's a real attempt here to also try and tell a story revolving around these characters and to develop them more as people we can relate to. There are already several glimpses into their past and how it relates to their different personal perspectives on Stride as a sport. It's still kinda hard to take the sport itself seriously, but I'm looking forward to how they handle actual competitions between teams. So far we've only seen practices and so on. I'm also curious as to how the sports aspect of the show will compare to Haikyu. Right now they're about to compete with a really strong team in an exhibition match next. Will this follow the Haikyu route where they lose to show that they still have a long way to go? Or will it follow the more traditional route where they somehow overcome their underdog status to pull a surprise win? If so, how will it be portrayed to not feel like a cheap victory? But I guess the real question the audience is probably asking now is.... why do the boys kiss?! Lol.

Tuck

Gundam Orphans - 14
I'm 5 minutes into this episode and the writing has already made me cringe at least three times.

"A boy kissed me, does that mean we get married?"

Why is blondie so terrible?

Gundam Orphans - 14
I'm 5 minutes into this episode and the writing has already made me cringe at least three times.

"A boy kissed me, does that mean we get married?"

Why is blondie so terrible?

She is a teen girl raised in her own bubble without any kind of romantic experience. I really don't see her behavior as that abnormal.

Tantei Team KZ Jiken Note Episode 14 – The Valentine Knows Part 2
CYnJGBMWYAA1SI4.jpg
CYnJGBqWMAA7b31.jpg

Yuki Kaji voicing these lines, awesome. Sunahara is like the perfect and best character in this for that. Getting breathless from a simple phone call, wow.

Prince of Stride Episode 2

I was going to wait and post my impression from today all at once, but I figure I should just post the most important one later in the day when more people are on (Phantom World, obviously).

Right off the bat in this one, we start seeing the first conflict of the show. Yagami's inability to commit is hampering his teamwork with Fujiwara. At this point, Yagami hasn't commited himself to anything since middle school where he used to run stride but had a falling out - since then he has bounced around to different sports and friends. The long haired guy tells Yagami that he must be "waiting for the wind" or, in other words, that he just needs a push in the right direction. Fujiwara provides that push - perhaps his appearance to Yagami's older brother helps here? - and the episode resolves with them finally making the "connection" while introducing the next challenge - the Spring Stride Exhibition.

It's a solid self-contained episode, but I feel like at this point we would be better served setting up long-term team problems that could slowly be resolved over the course of the series (or even a couple episodes) a la Haikyu or Baby Steps. I think it would have better served to have them almost get the connection down towards the end, but just barely fail. Highlighting their struggle as they approach the first match. The counter-argument to that is that maybe we aren't even in the rising action yet, but then I don't see why we needed to have conflict/resolution at all until we get there.

Edit: I really wish the line length on NeoGAF was shorter. :l

phaze

Ghost Hound 17-18
This has been, despite the subject matter, a fairly subdued show but now that things are ramping up, there's like a dozen of characters/factions, each with their own agenda, taking action, people die when they are killed and I've increasingly little idea of just what in the hell is going on.
RIP priest guy.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Ninja slayer end
The final episode is too good. From the fight, twist, the ninja slayer transformation. It was incredible. Now that i reached the end, i think i can say that i enjoy this series despite several episode being mediocre or downright boring. When there's animation, its awesome. The soundtrack and ending song is top notch.

Oh god, looking on twitter. It seems like Phantom World will deliver again.

KyoAni always delivers. Any differing opinion is heresy and punishable by having Mugi's eyebrows dropped on your house from low-orbit.

Edit: That feeling when you make a quality shitpost in Off-Topic, but the thread dies by the time you finish.

Qurupeke

Ninja slayer end
The final episode is too good. From the fight, twist, the ninja slayer transformation. It was incredible. Now that i reached the end, i think i can say that i enjoy this series despite several episode being mediocre or downright boring. When there's animation, its awesome. The soundtrack and ending song is top notch.

Sometimes I wonder what would the world be like if Ninja Slayer had One Punch Man's animation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom