• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Erased

I really like this detail I noticed when doing some research. When Satoru jumps back in time, the day he ends up on is February 15, 1988.

On that day, right before he ditches school to run home, he overhears the following conversation between two of his male classmates:

Dragon Quest III released in Japan on February 10, 1988. It's very believable that Japanese schoolchildren would be discussing the hot new game that just came out five days ago, eagerly comparing their progress to show which of them was better at games. Using a real-world time reference in this way adds authenticity to the show. I'd like to know if this exchange derives from the manga or if Kishimoto added it in.

It's in the manga.

Erased 02

Oh yeah I'm going to be loving this show. Biggest pointer so far: I love how the MC is narrating everything going on.

Marshmillow 02

Cutest inter-office romance ever.

Active Raid 02

Moe newbie cop is moe even when catching criminals.

John Blade

218391_original.jpg

Man...what a fun show to watch and it's very short which is good in my book. The story is very simple to understand and they is quite a few fight scene to watch between the police force and Buaku rag tag criminal which look great and entertaining. Also, you got to see bonaparte which is a cute little tank to watch in battle.

Like Theonik say, the 2nd half of the show (Ep 3 and 4) is surreal which now I understand as the tone of the show change dramatically in an odd way. Even with this, it didn't brother me a bit and you have a much detail backstory of the main villain, Buaku. In this way, you kinda feel pity a bit for him of what he have to go through in his past. Still, a fun watch that isn't too long. Would recommend everyone to watch this nice fun classic anime.

O0GXNPp.gif

Yawara
mS9AXrO.png

This anime is pretty funny, also the story is interesting, Sport anime talking about Judo, and it's romantic comedy as well.

Didn't expect this from the mangaka of Monster.

The worst parts about it are: Hanazono, he's so annoying; Yawara's grandfather tricks to get his way, sometimes he goes overboard; and Yawara constantly refusal, it's like she's eternally on the "refusal of the call" of her hero's journey.

The best parts are: Akira Kamiya, his voice is so nice; Itou Fujiko, watching her development is great, one of the best characters of the series;

In the end I had fun watching it recently.

Cornbread78

Small details in Erased

This scene is absolutely perfect. The tree provides a dividing line in the frame, separating Satoru and Kayo. Only when they can be honest with each other is that divide crossed - Satoru being the one closing the distance both physically and emotionally - and we see that they are now together on the same side of the frame. I'll say it over and over - this shot is a masterpiece, especially when rendered so beautifully.

Not only that, but I pointed out the framing and focus in the step he took towards her at that very moment. It was very well executed in context of the conversation and story.

Active Raid ep.2

I think I'm just going to sat good night to this one now. Suddenly we have a
corrupt organization trying to ruin that police group for political reasons
goodness, that premise ran real thin in Classroom*Crisis and I don't know if this will be worth that aggravation again, lol.

duckroll

Deen seems to be doing a solid job of re-establishing themselves as a somewhat serious studio again lately after years in a slump.

Deen is like Kyoani.

I think the last studio deen show I actually enjoyed was Is this a zombie. To be fair, they've probably put out some good stuff since then that I just haven't watched.

Deen has done a bunch of good work lately:

Sankarea first 3 episodes
Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East
Meganebu
Rozen Maiden (2013)
Maido! Urayasu Tekkin Kazoku
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu

duckroll

Btw, I just want to mention that yesterday I tried to watch that Rakugo show, but it was so good I had to stop after 20 seconds. No joke. I was watching it on train, but it opened with such a compelling period setting in terms of production values and direction that I felt it would be a waste to watch it that way.

Btw, I just want to mention that yesterday I tried to watch that Rakugo show, but it was so good I had to stop after 20 seconds. No joke. I was watching it on train, but it opened with such a compelling period setting in terms of production values and direction that I felt it would be a waste to watch it that way.

I tried watching The Man In High Castle in a train, but I then realized "this show isn't even worth watching in a train" so I stopped.

duckroll

Narag, I need to inform you that Hickman's Secret Wars -finally- ended after 5056596854 delays. And goddamn, the man's a storyteller. You need to catch up on his Marvel runs. :)

Narag

Narag, I need to inform you that Hickman's Secret Wars -finally- ended after 5056596854 delays. And goddamn, the man's a storyteller. You need to catch up on his Marvel runs. :)

I shall make note of this! Also for some reason I thought that run started way earlier than last year. Comic delays still being a thing baffles me though. Battle Chasers #10 when??

No they won't and you know this.

You have to believe.

duckroll

I shall make note of this! Also for some reason I thought that run started way earlier than last year. Comic delays still being a thing baffles me though. Battle Chasers #10 when??

Joe Mad gotta burn through all that Kickstarter money first.

Narag

Deen has done a bunch of good work lately:

Sankarea first 3 episodes
Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East
Meganebu
Rozen Maiden (2013)
Maido! Urayasu Tekkin Kazoku
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu

Gifu Dodou is actually good too but that's probably Imagawa delivering on the script more than anything else.

Joe Mad gotta burn through all that Kickstarter money first.

I hope he ends up too busy playing video games again to actually make anything out of that.

Good decision! Definitely deserves more than being watched on a phone.

Gonzo will redeem themselves too with their upcoming Full Metal Panic work.

Gonzo redeemed themselves last year with Sore ga Seiyuu!

DEEN did a great job with their latest anime this week. I still don't trust them though.

There's no need to "trust" an anime studio completely, especially as most rely heavily on freelancers. Even a studio with a core staff where there's a lot of overlap between productions such as KyoAni can have large quality differences between works depending on the material and the tone the director decides to take. The important thing here is that Deen has some very talented people who regularly work with them now, so they're able to put out some real high-quality productions with the right staff.

JulianImp

Anything in particular besides sports shows you're looking for? I'm not an expert on that front, but I can at least recommend Haikyuu and Yowamushi Pedal as worth investigating (I'm assuming you've already seen Yuasa's Ping Pong). Haikyuu in particular should satisfy you on the character front.

Off the top of my head, I still haven't watched any space operas. I'd rather avoid long-running shows if possible, but would give one a try if it's good enough (which I believe most don't, since long-running series tend to get stale in order to drag the story out as much as possible).

Please watch Haikyuu!! and Ace of Diamond.

Watch Haikyuu and Yowapeda

Guess I'll check Haikyuu out later, then. I'm actually not as interested in the show being about sports per se, just a narrative that's character-driven. I was mentioning it as an example because I've gotten to watch several shows in genres I don't usually enjoy merely because of how I liked the characters and the way they're explored and developed.

I guess Hajime ni Ippo is the de facto recommendation for a well thought out character driven sports series. Ping Pong which someone just did a really great write-up on is also fantastic

Welcome to the N.H.K is a show i can't recommend enough. Itll run you through the complete gauntlet of emotions.

Since you liked non non biyori maybe try barakamon, usagi drop or azumanga diaoh.

Thanks for the recommendations, I guess I'll check some of them out later.

I also forgot to mention I had watched Welcome to the NHK and that yeah, that was a damn good show. I liked that it didn't wrap all things up perfectly as it ended, since it makes sense that it'd take a lot more effort for the MC to get over his deep-seated issues. I also enjoyed the general sense of futility that I got whenever he'd actually end up helping others get over their problems but he'd remain a socially inept hikkikomori NEET, only improving very slowly as the show went on but without fixing everything (and actually barely fixing anything) by the end.

Still, the general sense of helplessness and futility of NHK meant I often watched it when I wasn't already feeling down, since it sure was emotionally draining to watch.

Edit:

Seriously. It's one of the outliers in terms on themes and setting due to being fully grounded in reality and focused on rakugo, which I had never heard about prior to watching this. I'm also intrigued by how the rakugo we saw so far always work like some kind of parody of social stereotypes, which is just like a theatrical genre that was very important in Argentina during the early 20th century, only with a single person acting out all the parts and with very limited movement, but still placing an emphasis on gestures, postures and mannerisms. I think I'd call it one of the hidden gems of this season, mostly because it doesn't look like it's going to be too mainstream.

duckroll

Off the top of my head, I still haven't watched any space operas. I'd rather avoid long-running shows if possible, but would give one a try if it's good enough (which I believe most don't, since long-running series tend to get stale in order to drag the story out as much as possible).

Yamato 2199. Now.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sakamoto looks so masculine there wtf DEEN.

You had one job to do.

I second duckroll's recommendation of Space Battleship Yamato 2199, both the main series and the movie Odyssey of the Celestial Ark. It's a very high quality remake of one of the original space operas from the 1970s.

Sakamoto looks so masculine there wtf DEEN.

You had one job to do.

He looks pretty ikemen to me there. Atsuko Nakajima is quite experienced at designing pretty boys for women.

Squishy3

I was gonna give it to Narag but then I found what is single handedly the most bizarre thing I've seen on the internet.

The chuunibyou opening recreated by a guy in many masks playing all the girls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg4vsM8yPR0

I can't even
the death note one i posted is pretty good, it's not the second op but i'm lookign to see if i can find it. they also did the gintama 2015 OP but you need to VPN to watch it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev-5nY9ew9s&ab_channel=WaraiClub

JulianImp

Yamato 2199. Now.

I second duckroll's recommendation of Space Battleship Yamato 2199, both the main series and the movie Odyssey of the Celestial Ark. It's a very high quality remake of one of the original space operas from the 1970s.

Thanks again for the recommendations, guys! I mean, it's fun to watch seasonal stuff and discuss it in here, but there's just so much quality anime I still haven't watched that I'd rather enjoy over some generic flavor of the month series.

I think DEEN's version definitely has a physical presence the manga version is lacking.

I can see the slight difference you're pointing out - the softer lips and rounder chin in the manga - but I don't think the design in the anime key art is different enough to compromise the intent of the character. What I'm not so fond of in the key art are the colors, actually, as his skin is a bit too washed out for my tastes. But I'm going to wait and see how the anime itself looks.

Hamst3r

Alright, 100 episodes in and I feel comfortable in saying that Dragon Ball is good. I like it. Which was not my expectation, as I first saw some DB and DBZ stuff in high school and thought it was really dumb, and no clips of DB or DBZ since then had altered that opinion. Now though, aside from maybe the first handful of episodes, I've quite enjoyed all the show has to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom