• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Because of Kaiba? The character designs and art style was great, when I watched it I really wasn't in the mood though. I think I realized I wasn't at the right mood to watch it after that weird sex scene in the first like 2-3 episodes

Don't worry, I have your back. Kaiba is weird and boring. I dropped it after like 3 episodes. Watch Kemonozume instead.

Crocodile

One Punch Man OST is OUT!

tumblr_nyjhwkznU01uaqr7ao1_250.gif

BTW, what is Sakamoto Desu Ga? and why should I care?

Erased 2 - Love it! As someone that loves Kei Sanbe's mangas I'm also loving that seemingly everyone here is enjoying the show as well. Be sure to read his other mangas too -- though Erased is his best work thus far.

Cornbread78

You only have yourself to blame here.

I'm pretty sure everyone recommended you watch the 2013 season, and you went and watched the mediocre older season instead.

I'd imagine the one he watched wasn't the one recommended for the Let's Watch either!

That's because you watched the wrong Rozen Maiden after being told a dozen times.

Uggh, well, to defend myself, I got "concerns" about watching the 2013 version with watching the original first and in a moment of weakness, I buckled.. Never again...

Clov

As much as I like your view on Kemonozume, it's definitely not better than Kaiba! It fumbles a bit in the latter half, but it's still quite well done. Kaiba has a nice place as my third favorite Yuasa show.

Personally I can't imagine a scenario where I'd find a show too "weird" to watch. Maybe I'm just really open to things like that.

Because of Kaiba? The character designs and art style was great, when I watched it I really wasn't in the mood though. I think I realized I wasn't at the right mood to watch it after that weird sex scene in the first like 2-3 episodes

That and your dismissive comment on shoujo and josei. Off the top of my head I can't think of what scene you're referring to.

Don't worry, I have your back. Kaiba is weird and boring. I dropped it after like 3 episodes. Watch Kemonozume instead.

You're a bad person too!

Seriously, I can't understand liking Komonozume over Kaiba, given that the former falls apart spectacularly while the latter doesn't really.

Kemonozume was the right amount of weird and the style added to the show's enjoyment, even if it kind of jumped the shark in the last few episodes with the very anime last battle and boss. Still I'd recommend it easily. Might rewatch it soon.

One Punch Man OST is OUT!

tumblr_nyjhwkznU01uaqr7ao1_250.gif

BTW, what is Sakamoto Desu Ga? and why should I care?

It's a gag manga about Sakamoto, who is basically the school (and world's) biggest hottie badass jesus. The whole manga is him doing shit awesome and making everyone, including the bullies, fall in love with him.

That and your dismissive comment on shoujo and josei. Off the top of my head I can't think of what scene you're referring to.

Oh no, you misunderstand. I watch/have read a WHOLE LOT of josei and shojo romance manga, to the point I could no longer enjoy them because they all started to be the same outside of those that stick out. What I had left in my backlog were things I was pushing off because they looked generic and/or bad. I think there's a manga called 'Orange' (?) I was waiting to get translated before I read which I hear great things about.

Clov

You're a bad person too!

Seriously, I can't understand liking Komonozume over Kaiba, given that the former falls apart spectacularly while the latter doesn't really.

I distinctly remember a scene in the second episode or so where a minor character makes a copy of their consciousness, and then puts it into another body to have sex with. They get arrested for this soon afterwards. It was soon after our protagonist gets that stuffed animal body, I think.

Personally I enjoyed the more episodic parts of Kaiba than any of the overarching story elements. The new worlds that the show brought us to were fascinating.

Oh no, you misunderstand. I watch/have read a WHOLE LOT of josei and shojo romance manga, to the point I could no longer enjoy them because they all started to be the same outside of those that stick out. What I had left in my backlog were things I was pushing off because they looked generic and/or bad. I think there's a manga called 'Orange' (?) I was waiting to get translated before I read which I hear great things about.

Josei/shoujo manga are not just high school romance!

Cornbread78

My backlog isn't really compatible with schedules. I just watch whatever I want whenever I feel like it. Otherwise it feels like work and the only people who watch anime for work are those who also work for Rick Santorum.

So cynical lately, you need more happy anime in your life. Keep fighting; don't give up.

20 mins a day could save the lives of so many in need, lol.

Holy fuck is the Ending for Erased top tier. I would even go as far to say it's one of my top favorite.

Is there any Ending that's similar in style and uniqueness?

Clov

I understand, forgot to specify 'the romance manga' aspect. I'm open to recommendations if you have some, I'm just burned out on the romance high school stories.

In terms of josei, my favorite is Paradise Kiss. Princess Jellyfish is also a really good one, even if I don't like it nearly as much as the former.

You may also want to check out Ristorante Paradiso. It was added to Crunchyroll recently.

Holy fuck is the Ending for Erased top tier. I would even go as far to say it's one of my top favorite.

From the New World. I'm pretty sure the ending theme of Erased is done by the same director as that show as well.

duckroll

I haven't watched Erased 2 yet, but if you're looking for more Ishihama OP/EDs, there's From the New World's ED and there's Psycho-Pass S2's OP.

You're a bad person too!

Yeah, I'm a bad person. What else is new?!

The Erased ED was done by Masashi Ishihama; there is a timely ANN article that goes in depth about him with copious examples.

I haven't watched Erased 2 yet, but if you're looking for more Ishihama OP/EDs, there's From the New World's ED and there's Psycho-Pass S2's OP.

Ishihama's From the New World ED is far from his best work, but Shingo Yamashita's ED is good and bears similarities to parts of the Erased ED, though Yamashita's is much more consistent.

Cornbread78

dan machi really impressed me with how it looked.

just... didn't care about the story much

Well, we basically got the prologue to a much larger story that hasn't been published yet, so.. Who knows where they are going with it in the far distant future, lol.

But episode 3 was pretty good. The ending especially had a wonderful sequence. It then continued pretty strong overall until the last 1-2 episodes where it fell apart for me.

I should start listening to the EDs of shows. After the episode ends, if I see that there's only a minute or so left (no preview or extra scenes) I just close the player.

JulianImp

Alright, 100 episodes in and I feel comfortable in saying that Dragon Ball is good. I like it. Which was not my expectation, as I first saw some DB and DBZ stuff in high school and thought it was really dumb, and no clips of DB or DBZ since then had altered that opinion. Now though, aside from maybe the first handful of episodes, I've quite enjoyed all the show has to offer.

I haven't rewatched it since my childhood, but looking back it was a lot more fun and varied than DBZ/GT, and kind of the reason why I liked Battle of the Gods, since the whole set-up felt a lot more like a vanilla DB episode rather than taking the battle seriously.

Vegeta voluntarily making a fool of himself to humor the antagonist, and other stuff such as how the latter decided to nuke the Earth because Majin Boo ate all the pudding before he could try one made the set-up to the battle really light-hearted despite Bills' ridiculous power level, and even the conclussion was light-hearted in that nobody was seriously hurt after the battle.

Uggh, well, to defend myself, I got "concerns" about watching the 2013 version with watching the original first and in a moment of weakness, I buckled.. Never again...

I've got to tell you that Rozen Maiden 2013 only manages to be barely more interesting than the original, and that it also kind of required knowing who the heck all the dolls were in advance since their introductions happens ridiculously fast there. The SoL elements are also a lot less prominent in the 2013 version, with a way bigger focus on Jun.

...And no, I wouldn't recommend neither of them.

MartyStu

Dimension W

This may actually be interesting, but I would not know because the girl-bot-thing makes me extremely uncomfortable.

I've got to tell you that Rozen Maiden 2013 only manages to be barely more interesting than the original, and that it also kind of required knowing who the heck all the dolls were in advance since their introductions happens ridiculously fast there. The SoL elements are also a lot less prominent in the 2013 version, with a way bigger focus on Jun.

...And no, I wouldn't recommend neither of them.

I don't agree with this. I haven't watched any of the earlier Rozen Maiden anime, but while the 2013 show had a rushed summary of the first manga in its first episode (which still wasn't too hard to follow due to the skillful direction), the remainder of the show took deliberate time in reintroducing each of the dolls such that you really got to know them, especially Shinku and Suigintou. Rozen Maiden 2013 is worth watching for the top-tier visual and sound direction alone, not to mention the really good character work with Jun.

II've got to tell you that Rozen Maiden 2013 only manages to be barely more interesting than the original, and that it also kind of required knowing who the heck all the dolls were in advance since their introductions happens ridiculously fast there.

This is patently false on all fronts. I can speak from first hand experience that you don't need to watch the original first. And having watched the original afterwards, it's not anywhere in the same stratosphere in terms of quality.

Narag

This is patently false on all fronts. I can speak from first hand experience that you don't need to watch the original first. And having watched the original afterwards, it's not anywhere in the same stratosphere in terms of quality.

Seconded. Before I watched 2013, Rozen Maiden was just a 4chan meme to me.

Clov

Before I do get around to watching Rozen Maiden 2013 at some point, I think I would like to watch the original season. Just out of curiosity. Maybe I could see why it was so popular when it first aired.

Mokoi

Banned
Before I do get around to watching Rozen Maiden 2013 at some point, I think I would like to watch the original season. Just out of curiosity. Maybe I could see why it was so popular when it first aired.
Nahh don't bother. Newer show is miles better.

Erased
Yo that was good. Kid got good memory too. I don't remember shit from that age, and now to wait for gundam.

Erased
Yo that was good. Kid got good memory too. I don't remember shit from that age, and now to wait for gundam.

He doesn't remember minute details no one would remember that his friends do because it was yesterday but remembers stuff that is ingrained in his mind because its important or because of repetition. I appreciate that

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I hope he remembered to invest in apple and google.

Jun's story is what makes Rozen 2013 good. All the doll stuff is fluff.

Kirakishou is a frightening villain, and Suigintou's flashback is ace. Plus Shinku is Sawashiro goodness and all.

Erased

Satoru doesn't have a photographic memory - he doesn't remember his seat in class, and he makes several similar mistakes in the episode - but he does remember certain things once his memory has been jogged.

Although Satoru could invest in Apple in 1988, provided he found some way for a 10 year old to buy stocks, Google wasn't founded until 1998.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Dimension W

This may actually be interesting, but I would not know because the girl-bot-thing makes me extremely uncomfortable.

She does really feel out of place with the rest of the world and it is rather jarring now that I think about it.

JulianImp

I don't agree with this. I haven't watched any of the earlier Rozen Maiden anime, but while the 2013 show had a rushed summary of the first manga in its first episode (which still wasn't too hard to follow due to the skillful direction), the remainder of the show took deliberate time in reintroducing each of the dolls such that you really got to know them, especially Shinku and Suigintou. Rozen Maiden 2013 is worth watching for the top-tier visual and sound direction alone, not to mention the really good character work with Jun.

Yeah, I might've fallen back on having just watched the original from the let's watch, which might've overriden the characters' re-introductions in my mind. I agree that Jun's relationship with the dolls and the way he grows as a character is much better in the reboot.

The only thing that really confused me was what the heck happened with Hina-ichigo, since I had originally thought that Bara-suishou intended to take over her body to get a physical form of her own, but she ended up using Souseiseki's instead. I get that the whole "it was souseiseki's body all along" realization was supposed to be a twist, but Hina's just disappearing and not showing up again after Bara-suishou got her was weird.

Still, I wonder why RM2013 got so many awful reviews in CR since I agree that the general quality is much, much better than the original's. The character growth Jun went through in the first anime felt like too little too late, while in 2013 he grew as a person and the bonds he developed with the dolls gave him an opportunity to grow further in the end once they had to leave adult Jun's timeline forever, leaving only memories of their time together behind.

duckroll

The "present day" takes place in 2007 I think. So that would be pre-iPhone. No reason for someone in Japan to be thinking seriously about investing in Apple at the time. As for Google, it probably won't work out too well because there wouldn't be any chance for him to invest in anything for a whole 10 years from the point the jumps back. :p

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Although Satoru could invest in Apple in 1988, provided he found some way for a 10 year old to buy stocks, Google wasn't founded until 1998.

He's not going to "snap back" to the future, is he? If I was sent into my past self the first thing I would do is write down all notable historic events and rise/falls of technology to futureproof any investments do good things that benefit other people and not myself.

EDIT: All you'd have to do is convince your parents you're from the future and then you can use their assets to invest by proxy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom