• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
He's not going to "snap back" to the future, is he? If I was sent into my past self the first thing I would do is write down all notable historic events and rise/falls of technology to futureproof any investments do good things that benefit other people and not myself.

EDIT: All you'd have to do is convince your parents you're from the future and then you can use their assets to invest by proxy.

There will be at least one snap back, maybe more, no I have not read the manga but the story requires that happen at some point.

The "present day" takes place in 2007 I think. So that would be pre-iPhone. No reason for someone in Japan to be thinking seriously about investing in Apple at the time. As for Google, it probably won't work out too well because there wouldn't be any chance for him to invest in anything for a whole 10 years from the point the jumps back. :p

The present is 2006; there's a TV announcer talking about the 2006 World Cup early in the first episode.

He's not going to "snap back" to the future, is he? If I was sent into my past self the first thing I would do is write down all notable historic events and rise/falls of technology to futureproof any investments do good things that benefit other people and not myself.

EDIT: All you'd have to do is convince your parents you're from the future and then you can use their assets to invest by proxy.

He might. Not sure how the time travel will be handled.

Mokoi

Banned
There will be at least one snap back, maybe more, no I have not read the manga but the story requires that happen at some point.
He ran from cops right? We also going to get high speed police chase on pizza bike. It's an anime so please tell me it happens.

Cornbread78

You guys are making me want to watch 2013 now dammit.

FDDtfPE.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if the time travel aspect in Erased comes into play again if (spoilering speculation just in case)
He fails to prevent the murder of the little girl, OR he fails to change the event that prevents his mom getting killed. He then gets thrown back in the future, and has to find a way to go back in time to try again

If not it feels they spent too much time with introducing the high school girl character.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
gonna +1 this sentiment. Doesn't help the show kept male gazing her, but it's also trying to tell us 'look at how gritty seinen this is'.

Indeed, she feels like a character from say Pandora in the Crimson Shell or your generic shitty Light Noel series and I really, really hope this doesn't end up killing the show.

JulianImp

You guys are making me want to watch 2013 now dammit.

FDDtfPE.jpg

It'd be a good thing to do if you want to see how the manga intended to go, since the old adaptation kind of came up with its own version of the story, which was wildly different and had a lot less impact/growth than the 2013 version.

I wouldn't be surprised if the time travel aspect in Erased comes into play again if (spoilering speculation just in case)
He fails to prevent the murder of the little girl, OR he fails to change the event that prevents his mom getting killed. He then gets thrown back in the future, and has to find a way to go back in time to try again

If not it feels they spent too much time with introducing the high school girl character.

I believe the girl's death might've somehow led to the MC's mother to meet the kidnapper, which is why she thought she saw something strange in the parking lot, and which led the guy to going back to silence her (trying to do so before she could remember anything that could shift the blame onto him, maybe?).

duckroll

Actually, in 1988, wouldn't the best tech investment for medium term returns as far as layman knowledge in 2006 goes, be.... Microsoft?

duckroll

Yes, yes it would be. Investing in Apple with the 1990s coming up would be a dumb move.

Plus, if he wants to start investing in 1988, the best payoff would probably be to go all in on MS in 1988, cash out in 1998, and use all the proceeds to go all in on Google.

Actually, in 1988, wouldn't the best tech investment for medium term returns as far as layman knowledge in 2006 goes, be.... Microsoft?

Microsoft definitely. Though he could also like hog the google domain and find the right people to make Facebook right before Zuckerberg :p

Yes, yes it would be. Investing in Apple with the 1990s coming up would be a dumb move.

^^^ Apple simply wasn't in the radar of good investments until the iPod which I guess would be a smart investment once it's approaching that year.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Microsoft definitely. Though he could also like hog the google domain and find the right people to make Facebook right before Zuckerberg :p

^^^ Apple simply wasn't in the radar of good investments until the iPod which I guess would be a smart investment once it's approaching that year.

At the very least don't invest until Jobs rejoins.

duckroll

At that point yeah, MS, Hewlett Packard and even AOL.

I'm thinking MS mostly because they have the most visibility. Consider that he's a Japanese guy working at a pizza joint in Japan. I don't think HP and AOL would be on his radar. Since this is unplanned time travel, he only gets to bring back whatever knowledge he happened to have at the time. If it were planned time travel and he could do research, I'm sure there are a ton of other possibilities, but that's less fun.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm thinking MS mostly because they have the most visibility. Consider that he's a Japanese guy working at a pizza joint in Japan. I don't think HP and AOL would be on his radar. Since this is unplanned time travel, he only gets to bring back whatever knowledge he happened to have at the time. If it were planned time travel and he could do research, I'm sure there are a ton of other possibilities, but that's less fun.

This is why you do your research now in the event of scientists creating a virus that turns fiction into reality and people gained supernatural abilities one of which sends you back in time into your past self.

Just T

Gintama: 305

This was a fantastic episode.
This whole time I was thinking Shouyou’s head was sent to them or cut off by the Amanto, never would have thought Gintoki was the one to do it and been carrying that burden for this long. Can’t help but think of the Shinigami Arc now and the similarity.
Just like last week’s episode the flashbacks and present were blended together very well and added a somber tone to see how things have ended up between them. I also have to mention the voice acting in this one, Gintoki with his speech to Takasugi was really good; Takasugi’s VA really nailed the emotional tones throughout the episode. The pure rage, desperation, and sorrow were all conveyed really well. So yeah this was a memorable one, the animation was fantastic and the voice actors brought that emotion that elevated the scenes to give it that impact. That cliffhanger leaves you wanting way more though lol don’t know how Gintoki will do this one.

duckroll

Erased - Episode 2

Great direction, really nice subtle character animation, strong color design, Kajuira's soundtrack is subdued but very effective, and solid writing. This is exactly the sort of stuff I felt we've been lacking in terms of mystery anime. Something that takes tone, character, and setting seriously, but also having a mystery that's just unusual enough to tease the imagination.

I really like how the writing places emphasis on developing the setting to create the atmosphere the characters inhabit rather than just having mystery hooks. When clues pop, they don't just connect dots for the viewer, but they inform us something about the characters, their personalities, and the time period. Satoru's monologues also do a good job of bridging his frame of mind then and now, as a form of retrospective analysis. This show is super interesting. Hope it doesn't go south!

Really. She made perfect sense to me. I assume in his grief the scientist guy built the robot in his daughters image.

it's more that here we have this gritty setting with a bunch of old and generally not attractive characters. Even the attractive ones still look like they belong in a show attempting to show the underbelly of city ala steampunk or noir sci fi. Then we have a cute robot cat girl who does anime faces, slaps the lead because she thinks he's being ecchi, show keeps focusing on her butt, etc...

It's only been one episode so hard to say if I feel she'll bring down the show, but I wouldn't be surprised if she ultimately ends up being a variable in me dropping the show (aside of the show's quality dropping).

Norn9 2

I'm a bit interested in this. Has anyone whose played the game know if this is at least a decent adaptation, or should I just pick up the game?

JCG

This is my greatest fear right now. The show is just too good. Mystery is always risky. For example, True Detective S1 and then S2.

Reminds me of how there were complaints about a couple of the answer arcs in Higurashi for various reasons back in the day.

It must be hard to come up with a truly satisfying solution for a mystery, unless you've planned the whole thing well in advance *and* can stick the landing.

Phatmac

Gintama: 305

This was a fantastic episode.
This whole time I was thinking Shouyou’s head was sent to them or cut off by the Amanto, never would have thought Gintoki was the one to do it and been carrying that burden for this long. Can’t help but think of the Shinigami Arc now and the similarity.
Just like last week’s episode the flashbacks and present were blended together very well and added a somber tone to see how things have ended up between them. I also have to mention the voice acting in this one, Gintoki with his speech to Takasugi was really good; Takasugi’s VA really nailed the emotional tones throughout the episode. The pure rage, desperation, and sorrow were all conveyed really well. So yeah this was a memorable one, the animation was fantastic and the voice actors brought that emotion that elevated the scenes to give it that impact. That cliffhanger leaves you wanting way more though lol don’t know how Gintoki will do this one.
Yeah Takasugi really stepped up this episode with a brilliant performance. Hopefully Kagura or someone can come save Gin!

This is my greatest fear right now. The show is just too good. Mystery is always risky. For example, True Detective S1 and then S2.
Mystery/detective stories are risky but this one seems like it'll be grounded (time traveling aside) in the presentation. As in I don't expect the killer to be "I too am a time traveler and now we will have an Anime final confrontation as we time travel all throughout history and Kung fu".

I also hope there isn't a sci fi twist like an "I'm you from the future and I'm evil now"

Though a part of me would be so down for it to happen if they like get dinosaurs and have dinosaurs fights

duckroll

If the manga goes south, maybe super adaptation writer Taku Kishimoto can fix it by using his mad skills to ignore any bad chapters, just like he did for Bunny Drop! :p :p :p

Mailbox

Hey Bunny Drop was the only one he had to save so far. Silver Spoon and Haikyu were both a case of him making the best use of already excellent material. Maybe his superpower is.... not picking crappy jobs. :p

yeah, thank goodness we didn't get the later parts of bunny drop adapted.

God, that would have been the absolute worst. No writer or director could save the weird shit that turned into :S

So according to their schedule, Funi will put out the first two dubbed episode of both Garo the Animation and Rage of Bahamut on March 15th.

So they'll probably be released in April.

Damn this spring is crazy.
Director is Candy Boy's director, i guess you know what the genre of this show right.
Studio is Studio Hibari(Lerche's parent company).

Well I do often feel dragon girls need more exposure.

Qurupeke

Mystery/detective stories are risky but this one seems like it'll be grounded (time traveling aside) in the presentation. As in I don't expect the killer to be "I too am a time traveler and now we will have an Anime final confrontation as we time travel all throughout history and Kung fu".

I also hope there isn't a sci fi twist like an "I'm you from the future and I'm evil now"

Though a part of me would be so down for it to happen if they like get dinosaurs and have dinosaurs fights
I find it a bit odd that the OP gave us a clear look at the killer's face.
And he looked like Satoru. :s

pbayne

I find it a bit odd that the OP gave us a clear look at the killer's face.
And he looked like Satoru. :s

Went back to check the Erased OP and yeah it does look a lot like
an older Satoru. Maybe he revived from the future ro try and stop his mother's death and failed. Or maybe he killed her...which is kind of hard to imagine atm.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Boku Dake ga Inai Machi 2
OP/ED was great. Probably one of the best for this season.
I was a bit worried with how they handle the narration, but they nail it. The episode is nice to look at, with aspect ratio to show the current timeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom